What Video Game Are You/Did You Get Most Hyped For?

• Senior Staff

What game are you hyped about? Maybe a platform-exclusive releasing soon? Maybe a remake of an old game? Or maybe you got hyped a while ago for an older release? Either way, share here!

Disclaimer: Copied from my recent (as of posting) status...

So hyped for 
BlazBlue Cross Tag BattlePlease get released on Steam!
It's a crossover fighting game featuring BlazBlue (Arc System Works), Persona 4 Arena (Atlus), Under Night In-Birth (French-Bread) (all games that Project BB Team worked on), and RWBY (Rooster Teeth), set to be developed and published by Arc System Works, for a 2018 release.

No lies! Blazblue looks so cool.

I'm an immense Final Fantasy fan. Final Fantasy 14 had their Stormblood expansion recently. I am so hyped about the new things. It's an MMO, and has a strong RPer base too (especially on my server Balmung). So I really really feel hyped for it. 

Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII are two other big names I am so excited for. As a whole, games with fantasy are my big crush.

So much hyyyyype.

Blazblue Cross Tag seems cool, although Blazblue is only one of the four things I like. I wish Guilty Gear was in it, because Guilty Gear vs Blazblue is the dream crossover. As anyone who is into Arc System Works games will tell you. I understand that Guilty Gear would be too difficult to put in.

I don't really get hyped about games often. Last year there was Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. A remake of a PS2 game, and my favorite game of all times. The remake fixed all the small problems with the original and added a lot of new content, making it the most perfect game EVER!

• Community Administrator

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer here, but... Last time I got hyped for a game; it turned out to be extremely underwhelming (X-Rebirth). Ever since I've been highly skeptical, and when the likes of No Man's Sky came out it kinda got validated. I was highly skeptical about that and it turned out to be around ten or twenty times worse than I expected which has solidified my skepticism to the point where I'm rather cynical. Elite Dangerous is one of those there it started off great, but the subsequent additions and as of writing this post the unfulfilled promises as pretty much crushed any optimism I've got for games, as I was quite hyped about that too.  These are just a handful of experiences that I've had, and just a few examples of many that have not either lived up to their promises or expectations set by the developer(s). I am told that Egosoft (the Creators of X-Rebirth) are making X4 and it'll follow a similar system to the previous X-Games... However they've damaged that trust and I'm not sure if I can trust them again, seeing as they're the cause of my skepticism in the first place. I'd just rather wait for the game to come out and then I'll judge it by various medias to look at it before I buy it.  

Another trend I'm getting put off by with is the over-politicisation of games, where political narratives are injected for no reason what-so-ever other than petty virtue signalling. It doesn't add to the story and overall makes it cringeworthy and comes across as two-dimensional, because; and I hate to break this to any story-writers reading this: No one cares about your political narrative other than you, and no one wants to buy something to preached at by it... For example: I don't mind a trans black lesbian midget in my game, that on it's own doesn't "*trigger*" me. But when his/her sole identity based on the fact that she's a trans black lesbian midget and that's all the character seems to be centred around  then it just comes across as a two dimensional cardboard cutout and crappy. If a game comes out that features such a character and they can make a story line that is just as rich without the political nonsense I'd be invested in that, I don't care that it's a trans black lesbian midget, at the end of the day it's still a fictional person with a believable story, a "Person" if you will. There is so much to more to individual people than group labels, and your preferences and such shouldn't be your whole identity.

That's my two cents.

• Community Administrator

I'm in complete agreement with Wolfie here. Sometimes I find it hard to enjoy the game because I've become aware of these agendas being pushed in our games, and it damn well pisses me off.

But, I think the last game I was hyped for was, and I know it's pretty sad... American Truck Simulator. Don't judge. It's a good game, although I was disappointed by the fact that there were only a few states. But, the European Truck Simulator was a very good game. I loved playing it because it was so relaxing. Not much changed in ATS, apart from the use of American trucks and the map. But they kept the formula the same, and that's just what I wanted. So even though there weren't as many states available as I wished, it is still a good game.

• 1 month later...

Yea my story isn't good either. I was hyped about Godus, Sim City 4, No Man's Sky and Dayz - all turned out to be complete piles of crap. nowerdays I find it hard to be excited for video games......as Temaelrin said the political shit that is now being injected to appease the unappeaseables just makes me vomit and that's an accurate representation of these games......vomit enducing.

Fallout 4 was one that I was excited about too, it wasn't so much as crap but it felt so different and uncomplicated compared to say FO:NV that it just didn't hold my interests until mods came out......and now Bethesda have that 'creators' thing going on where you have to pay for fictional currency to buy mods from them, I do wonder how long the modders on Nexus have left because of this, before they're sued by Bethesda.

example....the pip boy skins have existed on nexus long before this creation club thing, and now bethesda can make money out of it, I wonder how long it will be until people look at the paid one and see you can get it for free on nexus and decide:

get the free one -> enjoy it -> bethesda get no money -> bethesda sue nexus for letting them host copies of the mods for free (that are probably better anyway.

or decide to make it so you can't mod for FO4 unless you do it through the creators club or whatever, and make it so FO4 or future games can no longer be modded by the Nexus community. it's quite sad really.........yea, I know they have to make money but wasn't the sales of FO4 enough? why piss off your fanbase like this?

I was once hyped about Meincraft and I ended up buying a licence when it was in beta, I was very happy about that.

• 2 months later...

Nintendo has been pretty hype this entire year with Zelda and Mario, so I'm excited for what is to come. I also got hyped up for Divinity Original Sin 2 and it hardcore delivered on that hype. Currently doing a multiplayer run with some of my overseas friends. Other than that my gaming hype this year has been pretty average at best with things like Warhammer Total War 2, XCOM War of the Chosen, Wolfenstein 2, etc having all been pretty meh in both excitement and quality, though they are all good games. Honestly I'm just waiting for the next Dragon Age game and the next From Software game to be announced before I get back into hype mode. Though Nintendo might throw in a surprise for next year that might get me hyped.

I also wanted to comment on that whole "Games pushing an agenda" thing. I'm trying to think, but other than the horrible mess that was Andromeda, I can't think of a heavy story game that has done so, at least to an extreme level. Bioware (Actual Bioware, not the fakers that made Andromeda) have always had a push for inclusivity, but they are usually pretty good at making it just a part of a much deeper character/story or, at the very least, allowing someone to not have to interact with it if they don't want to, like Dorian dealing with the fact that he is gay and that causing trouble with his father (which is all side content). And the other big story game publishers like Obsidian, Lorian, CD Projektred, Naughty Dog, etc haven't done anything more or less in terms of agenda pushing than the olden days of 90s CRPGs. And if their is agenda pushing in non-story based games (Which I'm not as familiar with), who gives a fuck. People don't go to those for the narrative. 

It might just be my own politics, being a far-left anarcho-syndicalist (Though honestly I'm just as much of an outcast in the liberal community as conservatives are due to my beliefs in absolute freedom of speech and my belief that everyone's opinions should be heard, even those of actual fascists, which conservatives aren't, but being half-spanish means even some of my own family is francoist and I listen to their opinions all the same. Okay, this is now getting ranty, I'll stop), as opposed to you guys being whatever you are that perhaps I don't see certain things as agenda pushing while you guys do.

As of now, I'm mostly hyped for the new Pokemon game, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I've always enjoyed the Pokemon games, just simple and fun games you can turn your brain off and enjoy. The story of the original Sun and Moon was enjoyable, and I can't wait for the expansion on that story (I thought Lillie was adorable). And I also can't wait for the new big bads of the game, Rainbow Rocket. After all of these years, Team Rocket still comes out on top compared to all of these evil corporations.

I guess other than that, the next big game I'm really hyped for is Dragonball FighterZ, getting a hyper fighter with the Dragonball Z cast, I can't wait. :D

• 1 month later...
  • Senior Staff
On 11/11/2017 at 21:35, Crazymerc22 said:

I also wanted to comment on that whole "Games pushing an agenda" thing. I'm trying to think, but other than the horrible mess that was Andromeda, I can't think of a heavy story game that has done so, at least to an extreme level. Bioware (Actual Bioware, not the fakers that made Andromeda) have always had a push for inclusivity, but they are usually pretty good at making it just a part of a much deeper character/story or, at the very least, allowing someone to not have to interact with it if they don't want to, like Dorian dealing with the fact that he is gay and that causing trouble with his father (which is all side content). And the other big story game publishers like Obsidian, Lorian, CD Projektred, Naughty Dog, etc haven't done anything more or less in terms of agenda pushing than the olden days of 90s CRPGs. And if their is agenda pushing in non-story based games (Which I'm not as familiar with), who gives a fuck. People don't go to those for the narrative. 

It might just be my own politics, being a far-left anarcho-syndicalist (Though honestly I'm just as much of an outcast in the liberal community as conservatives are due to my beliefs in absolute freedom of speech and my belief that everyone's opinions should be heard, even those of actual fascists, which conservatives aren't, but being half-spanish means even some of my own family is francoist and I listen to their opinions all the same. Okay, this is now getting ranty, I'll stop), as opposed to you guys being whatever you are that perhaps I don't see certain things as agenda pushing while you guys do.

Yes, Andromeda WAS and IS a horrible mess. That much I can agree with. Though I can't say I've met many anarcho-syndicalists before so there you go.

Though I do think one will never get any agreement on whether any text has an 'implicit' agenda or not. Whether an agenda is being pushed in a text or not depends on whether one likes what's being said. If you agree with it, it's 'common sense' and if you don't, 'it's propaganda'. 

If there's one term I want to strike from the dictionary for having no predictive power, meaning or substance beyond meaning whatever bullshit the person saying it believes that everyone else SHOULD and DO believe along with themselves.

Anyway, to finish my soapbox...yes, everyone has the freedom to be heard...but no one has the right to be automatically taken seriously and not subject to critique. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so hyped for Dark Souls: Remastered that I think I had a mini-heart attack when it was announced during Nintendo's mini direct. Just the fact that it'll have dedicated servers and no longer be P2P.. and going from 4 players to 6 players for the entire world and not just the arena. The netcode being fixed and the password system from BloodBorne and Dark Souls 3 being added in. I can't wait to see what all they fix, change and possibly add to the game. I also hope the Switch version will have some goofy Nintendo based armor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day 2016 actually it was Final Fantasy XV. Oh my gosh the hype was real. I got the season pass, the entire soundtrack. I'm a bit pissed that in March they'll be releasing a royal edition of the game with new features, etc which I'll have to fork out more money. Sigh.

• Senior Staff
1 hour ago, Eilauver said:

Back in the day 2016 actually it was Final Fantasy XV. Oh my gosh the hype was real. I got the season pass, the entire soundtrack. I'm a bit pissed that in March they'll be releasing a royal edition of the game with new features, etc which I'll have to fork out more money. Sigh.

I think if things like that come out after the fact, they ought to release a slightly discounted version for those that already own the base game. Like DLC, almost. It would be a bit fairer, I think, but at the same time I understand everyone is trying to make money, and sometimes it's easier said than done. Like, on PC it would be a snap, but if were a physical copy on a console, it might be a little harder to do, unless the content was already on the disc and you had to just pay to unlock it, basically.

For me right now it's Divinity Original Sin 2. It already came out recently. But I've poured 40 hours in less than 2 days... with school at the same time haha.

The depths and possibilities of this game is ridiculous, you amke whatever you want and play a tactical rpg with classes that you dream of creating in other games. The dialogue options are endless. For example, I ended up killing 3 guys that all involved main quests, locking me ways to continue. I must admit the game is brutal, but that's simply because there is no power differences between a human and an enemy. The victories are simply more satisfying than ever in this game and truly makes you regret killing when you could've get something else out of that guy for more quests.

11/10

2 hours ago, SMFoxy said:

I think if things like that come out after the fact, they ought to release a slightly discounted version for those that already own the base game. Like DLC, almost. It would be a bit fairer, I think, but at the same time I understand everyone is trying to make money, and sometimes it's easier said than done. Like, on PC it would be a snap, but if were a physical copy on a console, it might be a little harder to do, unless the content was already on the disc and you had to just pay to unlock it, basically.

Totally! I agree but like you said they have to make money. I don't know if I could've waited to buy the game now versus then as I really wanted it but they were missing a ton of stuff they have available now. What can we do though? We love our videogames.

1 hour ago, onearmeddruid said:

Bloodborne

Kos or some say kosm like you did with the vaccous rom grant us eyes grant us eyes, plant eyes on our brain to cleanse our beastly idiocy

I have this in my inventory, I haven't played it yet though. 

Archived