Audio Gear: The stuff music comes out of!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Senior Staff

Hey guys, now I've got my hands on an Australian made, designed and manufactured DAC called the Geiseler Groß DAC made by Clayton Geiseler of Southport Queensland! It's quite a DAC I have to say, plays ALL of the available audio formats including the fancy DSD and hi-res stuff. In the opinion of the person whose Groß DAC I'm borrowing, it certainly competes with the best DACs like PS Audio Direct Stream that is valued at ~$8200AUD. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Community Administrator

I am extremely fond of the HiFiMan's HE500 headphones, that are driven by my Mini-I Pro Matrix DAC. The only problem I have the DAC is that the screen on the front has some kind of burn in problem where the used pixels are dimmer than the unused pixels. An obvious preventative measure for this would have been to have a time out if nothing changes on the screen after 10 seconds or something. I hardly ever look at it anyway. But it's remote controlled which is useful, when I hadn't lost the remote, too. 🙂

• Love 1

• Senior Staff

Unfortunately, that does seem to be a problem with LCD screens on DACs, pixel burn in. I haven't yet had that problem with the DX7Pro yet. Then again, I lowered the screen brightness. Anyway, if I actually gift you one, I would even if just to see if there's been an advancement in the Sabre chips. Now, I do understand that DAC chips aren't all that matter. The analogue stages, the headphone amplification stage and the power supply does have a collective effect on the end result. You can have the best DAC chip in the world and still have it sound and perform like crap if you don't do the work. 

Anyway, HE500 is a great deal in Headphones IF you can:1

1. Find one in good condition

2. Power it with a decent amp

3. Withstand the weight. I have no issues with the 500+ grams of weight of the HE500. Then again, I don't have much issue with the 750g weight of the Audeze LCD4 so what do I know? 

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno if this is the right thread to be posting this in, but I guess this does count as 'audio gear', even if it's not exact "music" that comes out of it as such. This is my Behringer Xenyx Q802 Mixer that I got in the mail recently! I love it, and got it for a fairly decent price. It's my first Mixer, and while these things are mainly intended for use in DJing and stuff, I'm mainly using mine for making... weird sounds through a very niche micro-genre of experimental music called "no-input mixing". xD All it takes is a few patch cables to make a feedback loop which you can alter by turning the knobs, and then you can get some pretty crazy sounds out of it! xP

large.865380536_BehringerXenyxQ802Mixer.