To think it only started a week ago. During breakfast on Tuesday, I was told that a Category 5 hurricane was moving towards Florida. Being astraphobic - pathologically afraid of bad weather, especially involving thunder and lightning - I am well-versed in hurricanes. Their intensity is measured by the Saffir-Simpson Scale, which assigns them a number from 1 to 5. The higher the number, the faster the winds are. I've lived through 3 hurricanes, if Irma isn't included. In 2004, Florida was hit by 3 hurricanes in succession. Charley, Frances, and Ike, not necessarily in that order. But a Category 5? That worried me. To put this into perspective, the devastating Sandy was only a Category 3! This historical storm was called "Hurricane Irma."

We stocked up on supplies, but I wasn't at all convinced I would survive. News outlets and family members were painting a doomsday scenario. The days went by, and, though the storm was weakening, it was still assumed to be capable of producing damage that, by the news, was called catastrophic. Then, it happened. For all of Sunday, the wind was howling, and my bedroom windows were being battered by flying debris. Our electricity cut off several times, only to return seconds later. Even my All-Hazards radio, which is DESIGNED to work in a hurricane, couldn't pick up a clear signal. Needless to say, I was not well-rested the next morning. But Irma never produced any lightning near my house. So I wasn't as scared as I should've been. I didn't get to sleep until perhaps 4 in the morning, and I awoke at 10. When I walked out into the living room, I fully expected to see the front yard destroyed. But it wasn't! Sure, there were leaves and twigs scattered around, and a couple of broken branches. But the storm was over. I had survived!

Our power, water, and internet were all operational, save for one of the bathrooms. It appeared the circuit breaker was damaged, but it was fixed in an hour or 2. Now, all I worry about is when the mail will resume service. I have several packages on the way. Selfish, I know. But, knowing the true danger has passed, I can't help but worry about comparatively less important things. I'm safe for now, but Hurricane Jose is next. I'm not worried, though. Almost all forecasts have it breaking up before touching Florida.

Edited by ArdillaVerde93
Misspelled comparatively

• Senior Staff

Worrying about 'less important' things is a good sign, though. At least, I think so:
It might not be so much that you're over it, but life goes on, as it were, as things start going back to 'normal'.

It's great to hear that you pulled through it, and with minimum damage (aside from the assorted debris and the bathroom).
I don't really know what more I can say about it, really... We don't get many natural disasters where I live. xD
Just glad you're safe. ^_^

• Community Administrator

I'm really happy that you came through that pretty well, relatively speaking. Spent my time worrying about you, and hoping that you'll be alright. Sounds like you were far better than what I had feared. Thank fuck for that. A few leaves and branches on the front garden is pretty much nothing compared to what I was worried. 

Hopefully Jose won't give you any troubles. Hopefully, even if it does make handful, it won't be as strong as Irma. I noticed Irma downgraded pretty quickly after it hit the coast. And Jose looks like a piddly little cloud compared to how big Irma was.

Either way. Really happy to know that you're safe :D

• 2 weeks later...