What about roleplay makes you tick?

So I've been curious about something. What makes you all tick when it comes to roleplay. Is it the Sex scenes? The buildup of the story? A mixture of both perhaps? The getting to be someone else in your own little world?

All of you spill the beans!!! 

GO!!!!

• Senior Staff

I actually like the 'fiction' aspect of it, personally. The fact that you can do anything you want, even things that aren't possible in real life.

I also thoroughly enjoy the action-reaction between two or more players. It's like telling a story, but because you're working with someone, there's always the opportunity to be surprised by something they do, or an idea they have that you might not have thought of. The 'challenge' makes it super fun.

For me, as you and many already know it's all. Yet I can't deny the fact that detail in the build up is what gets me going, but more so then that.... It's feeling the excitement of the other person on the other side of the screen. I write with the purpose of turning all of you on, to the point where you desire me on your own accord. To where thought isn't even require in what you'll write, you just know what you want to do to me. However, before we get to the hot and steamy... It's the story that makes it entertaining. That's where I really get to enjoy ones mind, that's how I know what mood you guys are in and if it'll really be as incredible as I hope. Just watching us get creative... It's awesome.

@Whoreo Well, im quite a story oriented person myself, i like a well developed backstory and characters so that there is enough substance to keep the roleplay going for as long as my partner and i want it to, along with fairly detailed but not over the top sex scenes. Personally if a reply is too long it either means too much has been done in which case it ruins the back and forth of the roleplay, or they are trying to hard to babble in the reply to make it seem longer. the perfect length is imperative for me aswell as a good balance of story and smut :D

• Community Administrator

In terms of text based RP... I love a good, long arching storyline. One which is engaging, and exciting. I like nicely developed characters, that have true depth to them as well as the capacity to grow, and develop as the RP progresses. The smut is also good xP But I don't like it being the be all, and end all of RP. Like a bit of dessert to polish off a good meal :D It's there to add to the plots, not be the plots. I also often go through different tastes when it comes to RP, so what I might really be wanting to do one year, I might not be as interested the next. At the moment, my current big thing is Yaoi :3

But, also like others have mentioned... I also like to RP between the sheets in real life. That is fun xD

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

What really makes me into it are 2 factors:

1. The idea of making your fantasies that much closer to reality. The one fantasy I have always been into that I can say isn't something that I expect in real life, but I can never get off my mind. Is the thought of a woman that not only is a dom, but also is into having a second character that makes me explore my bisexual side. Even though I am not into guys when it comes to sexual attraction anymore, and to elaborate. I used to think I was gay and don't get me wrong I loved the feeling of cock, but now a days the look of a mans body is boring to me, but ever since I first got with my first woman when I was 19. I cannot resist the attraction I have for a big curvy woman, and from time to time I get attracted to the thought of a futanari.

2. the rare and something that has only happened once. When I find someone that I can not only roleplay with but also just talk to normally. When this happens I tend to form feelings for them, and it not only brings out the true nympho in me. It also makes me more into any roleplay with that person. Helps that with me sex may not be the number 1 thing in a relationship, however in my opinion. Sex is in the top 3 of the list of important things in a relationship.

For me, I'm not a RP-er who only makes the Steamy Parts only(Maybe see my erotica or club activity(except Azur Lane). So I like the balance of both, there is the steamy part and there is the plot part. And the steamy part should have some significance in plot latter.

Also, I like my partner can use huge breasted and huge assed chars with long hair. Maybe I like playing as someone who can use tentacles and making my subject have some "modifications(Mostly breasts, ass, and nipple expansion)"(Still not the extreme ones, except on nipples maybe), the last and not least is Lactation, yeah, I kinda like breasts milk play in some ways. But, I'm also don't mind if I don't get those things 

For me... its actually not really hard but also kinda difficult at the same time.

To me RP allows me to practice writing, in a social setting. Engage with others while having the chance to learn a skill I really like improving on.

I don't generally think about the whole RP thing as something I have to *make* tick as much as something that I enjoy as it helps make me tick. If that makes sense? To me RP is a way of expression that other forms of expression simply won't give me. And as such it is something I don't generally go out of my way to think about as something that is anything but inherintly fun.

Now that said, how do I think it makes itself tick in my instance? It's the 'art' in RP, the ability to make a world, with others, that can be as detailed and fun or harsh and rugged as you want. The ability to grow, to meet new people and to be with a group and make a story on a schale not seen when writing alone. I personally could not be happier with my past RP's for they have shaped me into who I am today. I generally don't wish to ever see any of my RP stop. I may not always be as consistantly present, and in recent years my style has lost a bit of it's touch... but I do try to make sure my RP will always make others happy, make their world expand just that tiny bit. But my RP partners who I have had the pleasure to play with, a few who stand out are a few amazing people who I found here. Not everyone is among us anymore, a pain I'll carry with me. Some of them no longer RP, a loss to the 'art' which I think makes a hole that is empty. Sometimes the people are still around and a disagreement drove us apart, their impact I will still be their friend for till the end. And the people who i've made smile and who have do so more then ample for myself... those make it tick!

• Senior Staff

For some reason, it's always been interesting to play a character who is suffering for me. I've always had a fascination with damsels in distress. I feel that a lot of people make jokes about damsels just getting kidnapped and waiting around to be rescued but it seems pretty rare for the damsel's suffering to really be focused on.

I mean, if you were abducted just because of your beauty and kept in some creep's basement for weeks until finally being rescued by the police, only a twisted imagination could think of what horrible things you would experience during that downtime while you're totally vulnerable and helpless at the mercy of your captor.

It's just a different perspective that I think is interesting to explore the typical DiD plot. I also like to explore how this sort of thing affects the character psychologically. A rapist will leave an impression on you that never goes away. It's truly terrifying to image but, like a horror movie, is thrilling in RP. That's why my characters are usually women who get tortured relentlessly both directly and by circumstance. I feel that a young girl coming of age is the perfect symbol of innocence being corrupted, which only amplifies the story.

Personally, I enjoy the opportunity to explore different sides of myself. For example, in real life I tend to be quite reserved, both sexually and otherwise, so it's rather fun to "try out" being more outgoing and assertive for a while. This is not to say that I use roleplaying as an emotional crutch; I am quite comfortable with who I am IRL. Roleplaying is simply an opportunity to be someone different for a while. Now that I think about it, that's much the same reason I enjoyed acting, back when I took a few theater classes years ago.

To add to what Aura said above (while I was writing this, actually), roleplaying is also a safe way to indulge in fantasies that would otherwise be horrific and unacceptable. I firmly believe that people should take every opportunity to explore the limits of their psychology if it is safe to do so. Roleplaying allows one to get in touch with their "darker side," if you will excuse my edginess, by, among other things, performing unspeakable acts (or, indeed, having them performed on oneself) with no actual harm done at the end of the day. It's basically stress relief for the messed-up little devil in the back of everyone's head. That's how I see it, anyway.

• 1 month later...

I suppose for me it's an outlet to explore base urges and such. It would explain why non-erotic RPs can't hold my interest, why I often prefer to play as mindless monsters (getting better about that), why I don't worry too much about story and why I don't care for overly romantic situations in RPs.

Having said that...

The right story or at least a unique scenario really adds to the heat. I can do "sex only" RPs but they're only interesting if there's some twist that makes them exciting. So you can say I do value story when it's in service of the sex, and not the other way around. And I'm always getting interested in new ideas and wanting to try them out, sometimes it leads to me starting too many RPs at once!

This is just one of many themes I enjoy, but lately I'm noticing that I really like when my partner's character has a lot of time to breathe and develop as a full-fledged character, only to eventually be utterly "destroyed" sexually. It's like building an elaborate house of cards for the purpose of watching how it comes crashing down. There's something exhilarating about it, and there's a much deeper satisfaction behind it than if it was the same sexual actions devoid of story/character context.

So far this may come off as selfish? But the biggest "turn on" for me during an RP is when I can tell my partner is just as into it as I am. That's where things go from fun experiences to...transcendent ones that I won't forget any time soon, maybe not ever.

I ended up writing a lot more on this than I thought I would. Very nice thread!

It's the challenge provided to me by my partner or partners, how they can react and how quickly I can react. A good partner keeps me on my toes, provides a fun role play experience and teaches me things I never knew I never knew. 

Honestly, sex scenes are more of a reward for a good partner, only one partner I've ever had has been able to genuinely tantalize me with words (I'm looking at you. You know who you are.) so I'm certainly not in it for the sex fantasies. I'm in it for the fun, for the creativity and imagination.

I suppose one might say it's the build up of both, but honestly I thrive on story-driven roleplay. I really like the long-term plots that can unfold, and the intimacy of two characters truly falling in love (or hate) with one another. It's entertaining to watch the dynamics depending on which way things go. Even though I'll take place in smutty one-shots, (because why not), I'd much rather prefer something with more plot substance. My ideal ratio is 75/25, with the 25 being the amount of roleplay that is sex.

However, it's also important to note that the other part of me is entirely human and sometimes, I honestly just want to write smut.

Archived