It came from the Darkness [Vergil x NyxAvatar69]

The creature let out what sounded like a triumphant cry of victory, but it was hard for Saffron to hear it as her life slowly faded away.  As her vision began to dim, the last thing she saw was Vergil shortly before everything went dark.  For a few moments, all was quiet.  When Saffron opened her eyes again, she found herself back in the hallway from earlier, holding her script in her hand that she was reading through for the drama club.  She looked around as if she wasn't sure where she was or how she got there.  It had only taken a few moments for the memories started flooding back.  All the blood and death, watching Vergil die trying to protect her, and the strange black creature.  Saffron dropped her script and leaned against the nearby wall.  She moved a hand towards her stomach, feeling an unusual sharp pain.  Part of her didn't want to believe what she was remembering and what she was feeling was real, but no matter how much she tried, she couldn't forget because it had all actually happened.  Her head quickly turned towards the hall when she heard footsteps echoing through the hall.

I gasp as I hug the shaking Saffy and I couldn’t stop shaking since I felt so happy seeing her alive. I wanted to make sure she was alive and not a fantasy of some sort since I felt her warm skin rubbing again mine which was a huge relief to feel. I felt so happy as I grab her head and face to me since this could be the moment to tell her my true feeling hidden in the depth of my soul.

“Saffy...I...-“

I stop as I hear footsteps approaching us and footsteps I clearly don’t remember from the previous memory. I turn to my side to see a teacher walking this way and making me slowly separate from Saffy while I became prepare for this teacher.

A man in a white suit carrying a large bag made his way over to Vergil and Saffron.  He took a close look at the two for a moment before he smiled and nodded to himself.  "Interesting.  It appears my test run was a success." the strange teacher said, almost like he was talking to himself.  While Saffron didn't want to sound rude, she was wondering who the strange man was and what he was talking about.  "Um, excuse me, sir?  Might I ask who you are?" Saffron asked.  The man looked up, as if he had just remembered that Saffron and Vergil were standing there.  He cleared his throat and finally introduced himself.  "My name is Edwin Sears, and thanks to my newest invention, I have given you two a chance to save your lives and the lives of your fellow students." the teacher replied.  Saffron subconsciously took a step back when he mentioned "saving their lives."  "W-what are you talking about?" Saffron asked.  Mr. Seers shook his head while he dug through his bag and pulled out a broken alarm clock.  "At around 5:45 PM today, you and Vergil will die.  You two, along with several other students will be brutally murdered by a Nightmare.  My Retry Clock has allowed me to rewind your time to give you a chance to save yourselves from dying.  It's a one time use, however, which is why the clock you see here is broken.  However, this was a prototype, and it appears you still have complete memory of your previous deaths.  While this may be quite troubling, I assure you that this is necessary if you intend to prevent your deaths again." Mr. Seers explained.  He turned around while he put the broken clock back in the bag, mumbling something to himself.  "However, equipped as you are, there is no chance of your survival against the Nightmare.  Normal people can hardly fight them on their own without power, after all.  I have give you two a gift." Mr. Seers continued, turning around and opening up the palms of his hands.  A large ball of light appeared in his left hand while a ball of darkness appeared in his right.  "The light of virtue, the dark of vice.  I will grant you a power to start you off in rewriting your fate." Mr. Seers said even though he didn't really explain much of anything.

I listen to this man blabber about time and that monster from before called a Nightmare. Normally, I would of call him crazy or insane to even explain such ludicrous speech about time bending machine but I believe him. As strange as it sounded, I experience death once and I am not risking that ever again especially Saffy’s life at stake. I see him bring some orb to us and claiming this would help us fight off the Nighmare.

”....”

I look at the dark orb calling me out as I quickly grab it and let it absorb inside my body. I want a rematch with that thing and pay back fully for making me experience hell. 

“What are you going to do and I don’t feel anything different?” I spoke.

I felt no change from absorbing that power and slowly losing my patience knowing people are going to die real soon. I waited for his respond before making Saffy compete against that Nightmare again.

"When the time comes, you will feel the power guide you to action." Mr. Seers said, turning towards Saffron.  She was clearly hesitating about whether or not she wanted to get involved in fighting off a Nightmare.  With a deep breath, Saffron took the ball of light and let it absorb itself into her body.  "Now, if my calculations are correct, in about two minutes, the Nightmare that killed you and the other students will be appearing on the third floor.  You'll want to hurry and evacuate any students before there are victims this time around.  I don't have another Retry Clock so you only have one chance at this.  Good luck." Mr. Seers said.

"Two minutes!" I spoke, angrily.

I grunt at the thought of that horrible scene repeating once again and I have to rely on Saffy this time around as much as I didn't want to, she has the same power as I do which will help me greatly. This is my last chance for a do-over so I had to make this one count for the many lives I lost last time and also failing to protect Saffy from that hideous monster killing her. 

"Come on Saffy, Let's get a move on." I said.

I began running across the hallways as my goal was to reach the 3rd floor and make the student still up there leave that place before that Nightmare show up. Anger began to dwell in my mind as his disgusting smug has been imprinted on my mind and fueling my strength to kill that thing with my bare hand. 

"You will pay..." I angrily mutter. 

Saffron nodded in reply and ran after Vergil.  As she ran up towards the third floor, the words of Mr. Seers ran through her mind.  "When the time comes, you will feel the power guide you to action."  While she had no idea what that meant or how she was suppose to work whatever power she was given.  On the third floor, several students were in the middle of getting things from their lockers after their individual sports practices and getting ready to go home.  They were too busy to notice the faint flickering of the light and the light distortion of space.  They didn't know that, from the deepest shadows, a monster was tearing a way through in order to kill them all and enjoy their despair as they meet their ends.

We ran together across the stair which leads us to the infamous 3rd floor where everything begins and ended our live in a tragic fate with a Nightmare. I stop as I see the same student from before but this time, they were alive and kicking while focusing on their task since they completely are oblivious to the fact that the light was acting odd. I scan the area to find a particular spot at the corner molding a familiar face and making me angry knowing full well that monster is slowly approaching this dimension. 

"Everyone leave now!" I scream, angrily.

All of the student to their attention to me as the Nightmare took shape and roaring across the hallways which they flee from the scene which was good. I keep my composure this time around as I glare at the monster as I have Saffy and our power to fight back this thing. Still, I didn't know what kind of power I hold so I slowly lose my confidence on this matter and I have to rely on blind luck to get me through this. 

"Hey you! remember me?" I smirk. 

For a few moments, the creature looked at Vergil like it couldn't understand what it was he was talking about.  Once it shook a bit, the creature let out a loud roar, causing some of the lights to turn off.  Like the first encounter, vine-like appendages came out of the monster's body.  It whipped the floor as a sort of test to make sure it's weapons were ready for what they were intended for.  Looking back up at Vergil and Saffron, the creature let out a low growl before it slowly started moving towards them.  "It's coming.  What should we do, Vergil?" Saffron asked.

“To be honest, I don’t really know. All we can do is follow our instincts for now” I answer.

I see the Nighnare making a move while I began thinking on how to use my power but that was impossible to figure it out. I mumble as there could way an endless of moment of possibilities when it come to power so it was hard to pinpoint just one suited for me. My eyes flinch as the beast began attacking which I took a step back and began thinking on the reason for me to fight this thing, the reason for being angry until it hit me.

Oh right, it was Saffy’s death that made me even come here and fight another day.

I slowly close my eyes as I search deep inside of myself and thinking about Saffy the whole time. The anger and sadness slowly guide me toward a specific spot that I slowly began to comprehend as my body instinctively began to twitch.

While the Nightmare slowly moved towards it's targets, Saffron tried to figure out what her power was and how she could get it to work.  Instead, she remembered hearing a loud noise the first time she had ran away from the creature, as if it had rammed into a wall or something.  She looked back towards the creature, noticing it's awkward movements, as if it weren't used to moving around.  Something in the back of her mind screamed at her, warning her that if the creature managed to get accustomed to moving around, it would chase after and Vergil relentlessly once again.  At the same time, while she tried to think of a way to stop the monster's movements, she felt an unusual warmth spread through her body.  When she looked down at her left hand, she could see a small orb of light slowly forming in the palm of her hand.  Remembering what Mr. Seers had said before, she tried to put more focus on making the ball of light grow.  The process wasn't simple, and a few beads of sweat began to roll down Saffron's face as she focused, but she managed to make a ball of light.

• Like 1

I release my breathing with a calm sigh as I open my eyes to see the monster clumsily walk around which was rather odd to see him do. I smile as I notice he wasn’t used to walking around and this could be proved useful to me if I take advantage of it. I glance toward Saffy concentrating on a faint orb of light and also notice the little change from our enemy which was something she was keen to notice.

”We need to stop this thing from ever hurting another Saffy, can I count on you for that?” I softly ask.

I stood between the Nighmare and my friend as I didn’t look at her since I want to hear her voice give me strength. I trusted Saffy’s strength and wise decision making since she was a reliable friend from day one. I glare at the best attempting to repeated fate and thrust that same dark vine toward me while I prepare myself. I could feel power surrounding my body and my eyes glowing dark as the orb itself. My eyes twitch as I let my power guide my swift hand as I slash the thick air counterclockwise and a force pushing that vine away, like psychokinesis.

“Let’s go Saffy!” I spoke, confident.

Edited by lVergill

"You can count on me, Vergil." Saffron replied, sounding a lot more confidant than she normally did, almost like her normally shy personality had taken a back seat.  The Nightmare gave a confused grunt when it's vine was pushed away.  It took a few moments, likely trying to guess what had stopped it's attack.  It looked at Vergil and let out a growl.  It slowly moved it's vines towards it's back, as if it were ready to do something.  'It's going to attack again.  What can I do, though?  I don't even know what this ball of light can do.  Unless...' Saffron thought.  She threw the ball of light in the Nightmare's direction in hopes it would do something useful.  When the ball hit the floor, it let out a bright light that blinded the Nightmare, forcing it out of it's intended attack.  It flailed around, swinging it's vines mindlessly due to being unable to see.  One of the vines smacked into a locker, forcing it open and causing a number of art supplies to fall out, including an awl that could very easily kill someone or something if thrown right.  Saffron heard the clattering of the various tools and looked down to spot them before ducking to narrowly avoid a vine.  "Vergil, can you use that power again and grab that awl on the floor?  If you throw it right, you should be able to beat that monster before it can see it coming." Saffron said, pointing to the art supplies.

I smile as Saffy sounded confident with her answer which was a relief to hear that and a sudden flash of light hit me since a familiar ball of light came from behind to cause a rather large flash which I managed to block in time. As I remove my hand from my face, I see the monster becoming blind from Saffy's attack and making him attack aimlessly around his perimeter as he slashes the locker around which spur out many tools and other various thing scattering in the floor. I hear Saffy spotting something and giving me an order which she was good at finding something interesting which I always praise. 

"On it!" I respond.

As I dash toward the rampage Nightmare, I think about on how to use my power exactly since I was in the moment before using it and now I had to rely on it without that sudden spark to guide me. Even so, I glance at the Awl to concentrate on it as hard as humanly and I see a lift-off which made a bit relieved to see. I could hear myself panting as my power is taking quite a toll on my body since this was rather difficult to focus and I move my right hand toward him while the Awl began shaking with fury before shooting straight toward his heart. The awl easily pierces his skin like paper with the amount of force exerting into it since my Psychokinesis gives that extra push to pull it off.  

The Nightmare was still for a few moments, almost like it was frozen.  It slowly looked down to where the awl pierced through it's skin, then back up to Saffron and Vergil.  It took about a minute of silence before the monster finally realized what had happened and it began to flail about mindlessly, black mist pouring out of it's wound.  It moved further into the hallway, farther away from it's former targets.  Slowly, it's vines began to emit black smoke while they began to dissapear, as if it's body was burning up.  It turned towards Vergil and Saffron again and tried to attack them, but it's vine flopped harmlessly back to the floor as it dissapeared.  It let out a faint cry and after a bit, the creature's entire body dissapeared, leaving nothing behind.  Once the Nightmare was gone, Mr. Seers made his way upstairs, talking to himself.  "Interesting.  Very, very interesting.  With little grasp of their power, they managed to defeat a D Class Nightmare.  I knew it was a bright idea to give them a chance.  I'm a genius.  Other than the Retry Clock, this was my greatest idea yet." Mr. Seers said to himself as he walked down the hall, stopping in front of Vergil and Saffron.  "Congragulations are in order, you two.  With your newly acquired power, you were successfully able to change your fate and the fates of many other students.  Although, I would advise against staying here much longer.  The students who evacuated are likely to inform the police of this "monster attack."  You should start heading home and get some rest.  Spend some time with your families.  You deserve at least this much." Mr. Seers said.

I hear the man mumbling to himself about this thing being a D class meaning a lower class of whatever the hell these things became from and I a bit disappointed knowing we have trouble dealing with just that thing alone. Still, I sigh with relief as I pant heavily at my usage of my power since it took a lot of mental strength to keep it under control and even keep it along with my ever so wish. I smile as I see Saffy alive which was my sole reason to fight back against that thing and proving myself I can protect her. 

"I guess so..." I pant, "You have to explain yourself...about all of this...because we need to know." I talk, struggling.

I felt the air become sharp as it went through my mouth scratching my throat and began to take a like of his advice to take a well rest since I need it. I could take Saffy home since I still didn't feel right leaving her alone after seeing her dying in front of me last time and a bit scare overall of seeing that again. 

"Naturally.  I will answer all of your questions when you are rested.  You must remember, however, not to overuse your power.  It could mean the difference between life and death, after all." Mr. Seers replied.  Saffron nodded and took Vergil's hand.  "Mr. Seers, I'll take Vergil back home.  I may not really know how to use my power yet, but I won't let him overdo it." Saffron replied.  Mr. Seers covered his mouth to try and hide a laugh.  "You two are rather close.  Maybe it was a good idea after all that I had used my only Retry Clock on you two." Mr. Seers said, mostly to himself.  Upon hearing this, Saffron's face turned red and she looked down at the floor.  "I-it's not like that..." Saffron quietly said, returning to her usual shy self.  "Come on, Vergil.  I have to get my math book, and then we can go." Saffron said, starting to walk away.  What neither she, or Mr. Seers knew was that a student had been watching the entire scene from a corner.  "Fascinating.  Otherworldly monsters and magical powers really do exist.  I must recruit those two for the Otherworld Research Club." the boy said to himself before he turned around and walked away.

I was pulled by Saffy's hand as I tightly grab since I could barely keep up and I did overuse my power a bit too much to protect the girl that mean a lot which I didn't complain. I follow her lead since we need to return to her locker again to pick up the math book since this was a different timeline compare to our first one and I rest a bit on the wall so I could let her do her own thing while I catch some air. My head began throbbing with pain as I grunt while holding my hand at how little I managed to do and yet this pain felt no different from being stab in my arm by that Nightmare. 

"Saffy, are you feeling okay from this? Seeing you dying isn't something I want to experience again and I sort of let my emotion overcome me. I let my hatred and thirst for revenge guide me, I am sorry for that." I explain, apologizing toward the end. 

I look away as I couldn't face Saffy like this knowing I was weak the first time and not doing anything useful for her. If that guy wasn't around to use that time redo machine as he explains, I would be devasting in the afterlife knowing I was too weak to protect my best friend and that was a lot to take in. All the info I gather from a short amount of time was difficult but I understand quite well the situation I am currently in and I know this will definitely change my life. 

Saffron listened to Vergil's apology while she was looking through her locker for her math book.  Even though she knew where her book was in her locker, she stalled a bit in order to listen to what Vergil had to say.  She walked over to Vergil and hugged him.  "I'm more worried about you, Vergil.  I know you meant well.  I...I just don't want you to overdo it and get hurt.  When I saw that monster attack you the first time, I didn't know what I would do.  I don't want you to die, Vergil." Saffron said.  She was shaking a bit, clearly trying to hold back tears.  She never wanted to see Vergil suffer the same way she had seen the first time.

I became surprised by Saffy sudden hug as our body rub against each other since I could feel her very heart beating next to mine which made me feel a bit bad for making her worry about me. I grit my teeth as her shaken was follow after her tight hug and knowing Saffy myself, she was probably crying softly about my death from our first timeline. I slowly hugged her warm body to feel her heart beat more and caressing her long black hair from behind to make all of her worries disappear from thin air knowing I was here for her. Saffy was very important to me as well and hearing her say that means the whole world to me which made me fall for her in the first place. 

"Don't worry Saffy, I promise you here and now that I won't leave your side because I..." I grunt. 

I felt my word trap in my throat as the hesitation began to fill my head with doubts about our relationship blooming into something else or even evolved in that case. I curse myself to do it since this could make her happy but it could also hurt her which prompts me to think like this. The feeling of her body made me relax and her weak sobbing made me rethink of my life choice from the very beginning. Who was there from the start of school and who was there when I needed it the most, the answer was painfully obvious but I was a bit of a coward, Saffy.

"I love you..." I softly spoke. 

Saffron smiled a little when she heard Vergil's confession.  At first, she wasn't sure how she should respond.  She knew, deep down, that she loved Vergil, but at the same time, she knew if they were going to fight more Nightmares, it would mean there would be the chance that something bad could happen to break them apart.  Saffron tried to push that thought to the back of her mind, choosing to enjoy the moment she had with Vergil.  "I...love you too." she said with her normal, quiet tone.  Sitting on the stairs, listening in with another one of his weird inventions, was Mr. Seers.  As he sat on the stairs, he recited a phrase from a picture he was holding in his hand.  "The light of virtue and the dark of vice.  When they join together, chaos will ensue." Mr. Seers quietly said to himself.  A smile crept up on his face while he stood up and turned back towards the third floor's stairs.  "You two are an interesting pair.  You will make chaos bloom.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this will develop...my little seeds of chaos." Mr. Seers added, covering his mouth and laughing quietly to himself while he walked back upstairs.

I softly whimper as I finally hear her answer as I hold her tight and making me the happiest man in the entire world while a smile slowly showed on my face at the outcome of this horrible day. I actually didn't mind my death since I got something even better in return, Saffy's love and I will cherish this moment my entire life from this point, that was the case until the man from before ruin the moment for us. My smile slowly turns into twitching one as he talks and laughs to himself which was rather creepy but something did hit me while he blabbers some weird gibberish. He mentions about dark and light coming together making something bad happen which if I remember correctly was the symbol of our power and taking that into offer since my decision from this point on, could also affect my precious Saffy. 

"We should probably go home.." I mutter, a bit angry.

I slowly release Saffy from her grasp which I didn't since I rather like her scent on my nostrils hitting constantly and her body's heat close to mines. 

"Y-yeah." Saffron replied while she moved away from Vergil to go and get her math book from her locker.  After she grabbed it, she noticed the look on Vergil's face.  "Vergil, is there something wrong?" Saffron asked while she put her book inside her bag and closed her locker.  From her reaction, it was clear she didn't hear Mr. Seers talking to himself again.

As Saffy was doing her thing and leaving me with my thoughts, I began to really think about my future with her since death will come at every corner due to our power. Knowing this experience, I am sure more Nightmare will come about and do more harm to anyone standing in their way which was a big problem since I need to get stronger to defeat the difficult one. I could hear something talking to me as I slowly turn to Saffy looking at me worry which made me realized my sudden engrossment with my future. 

"Huh!?" I blurt out, "Oh! It's nothing...sweety." I blush.

I walk over to her to hold her warm hand since I could do this without any hesitation and I didn't want Saffy to worry about this. I just smile as I enjoy my time with here being alive and well as I look forward to our future as couples.

"Let's go home Saffy, we have a lot to talk about." I sigh. 

"Are you sure it's nothing?  You would tell me if something was wrong, right?" Saffron asked, a bit unsure of whether or not Vergil was telling the truth or not.  She smiled as Vergil took her hand and started walking towards the doors leading outside.  At the same time, the memories of the last time continued returning to her.  She still found it a bit scary that, in several minutes time, the Nightmare would've chased them downstairs and killed them in a classroom.  She let out a sigh of relief since that fate had been changed.  'This...is the right thing.  I really do love Vergil, but...I just feel like something bad might happen.  Why do I feel like this?  What's going to happen between us?' Saffron thought to herself while she walked outside and took a breath of fresh air.  "You know, it's still a little weird.  We shouldn't be here right now, like this.  Mr. Seers and his invention gave us a second chance.  I'm really glad." Saffron said.

• Love 1