It came from the Darkness [Vergil x NyxAvatar69]

I walk in the lonesome hallways as I yawn from the deep studies I had to do to score a perfect score on the test in the future and ensuring my place of being the top student around here. I watch outside the window as I continue to walk to see the sun slowly set across the horizon and a bit late in the day for me to do anything besides taking my departure from here. I turn around a corner to see Saffron engross with a script on her hand and a bit too determine with her drama activity which does worry. I sigh as move to my left to see her too focused to notice my presence and extending my hand to softly making her stop by grabbing her head which made me feel her soft black hair. 

"You need to be more careful Saffy, you will get yourself hurt if you aren't paying attention to the road ahead," I spoke, serious and gentle. 

I spoke her nickname since I was really closed with Saffron since our life goes a bit back than most people in this school and she seems to like it in a way for me to give such nickname to her. I didn't quite understand the enjoyment but, it did make me happy to see her smile and look at me with her blues eyes of her.

Saffron blushed a little and hid her face behind her script when she felt Vergil's hand on her head.  "Sorry about that, Vergil." the girl quietly said.  She slowly lowered the script, smiling a bit when she heard the familiar nickname.  "So, why did you have to stay after school today, Vergil?" Saffron asked while she continued to make her way towards her locker.  She remembered the large amount of homework she still had to do and let out a low sigh.

I smile as I see my friend blushing and smiling at me since she does look more pretty when she smiles more often rather than staying all quiet like she usually does. Still, I didn't want to push or force Saffy to come out of her shell and she began to apologize about her engrossment while asking me a question about my lateness around the school campus. 

"I have to study for the test coming up so I wanted to make sure I was well prepared for that," I answer.

I glance at the exit from here since I really wanted to leave but I decided to stick with Saffy for a while now. We walk together to her unknown location as I hear her sighing about something on her mind and lifting my head at that slight concern. 

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" I ask, curious.

"Oh yes...I forgot about the test.  I've been a bit distracted with the drama club this past week, so I've had no chance to study." Saffron replied.  She stopped at her locker, and while she was in the middle of opening it up, she answered Vergil's earlier question.  "It's just that I have a lot of math homework to do tonight.  It's been this way for a few days.  I'm not sure why, but I feel like something's different with my teacher." Saffron added while she got her locker open and got her math textbook out and put it in her bag.

We arrive at her locker as she tries to open with and turning to me as she answers my previous question and making me a bit worried about that answer she gave me. 

"Different? In what way are you referring to?" I ask. 

I was curious to know why Saffy mention something so odd about the teacher and hopefully nothing too bad about since it will only make me have doubts about her performance during her Drama club. 

"He always gives us this scary glare now whenever he looks away from the board, and he's always yelling at students whenever they make a mistake on the assignments he gives.  He's also been giving out a lot more homework than usual.  Mr. Hudson was never normally like this.  He was a bit loud sometimes and he had a habit of erasing things from the board before everyone finished writing it, but he used to be a nice teacher.  It's almost like he's become a different person.  I tried to tell another teacher but they wouldn't believe me.  I'm a little scared of him now, to be honest." Saffron answered, knowing she could talk to Vergil about something if it bothered her.

I began listening to Saffy’s explanation deeply as she mention about his teacher, Mr. Hudson and notorious for being a stricts match teacher which people often avoid at all cost. Still, hearing her made me also think something was indeed misgiving in all of this and looking at Saffy with a worrisome expression. 

“Maybe he is having a rough day? It is hard to make a quick judgment from my perspective but you know Saffy, I will be here for you if you need my help.” I smile.

I gentle smile appear as I caress her long black hair since Saffy always rely on me and gladly listen to her problem. In a way, we both rely on each other for anything and it became a habit for us to help each other.

"Yes, I know.  Thank you, Vergil." Saffron said with a smile as she closed her locker.  Shortly after she did, though, she heard a sound like someone slamming a locker closed.  Saffron had simply assumed it was just an angry student just getting out of detention and tried to pay no mind to it.  "We should really get going." Saffron said as she started to walk away from her locker.  She stopped when she heard another sound that seemed like someone slammed their locker closed, except unlike the first time, it was much louder.

I notice Saffy smiling at my caring of her wellbeing since she always does take it without a thought in mind which worry me so. As she close her locker, I hear a strange sound coming from somewhere and it was fairly loud which puzzle me to figure out the location of the sound.

A locker being shut with force perhaps?

Saffy suddenly spoke to stop my line of thinking and focusing on her for the time being.

”Sure, lead the way.” I answer.

After a small walk, the same sound appear once more but this time, it was far louder than the previous one. I narrow my eyes as I had a bad feeling about this and I grab Saffy’s soft hand just in case she felt fear or in need of running away from something.

Saffron looked over to Vergil when he took her hand.  "It's been a while since we've done something like this." Saffron quietly said, mostly to herself.  As she made her way towards the stairs leading upstairs, an unusually loud crash echoed through the halls, like something had been forcibly slammed into a door and caused the door to break.  Saffron stopped dead in her tracks when she heard the sudden noise, subconsciously tightening her grip on Vergil's hand while she slowly turned her head towards the stairs.  For some unusual reason, a few of the lights were off, making the stairway a bit darker than it should be.

I hear something coming from Saffy as I turn to see her eyes looking straight at me which made me feel her strong gaze. My body became a bit warm as I held her hand due to me being overprotective but lately, that never happen as often.

”Should we go?” I ask.

Saffy began leading the way as we carefully walk around the hallway and seeing the staircase leading up to the floor above us. Suddenly, a strong sound echoes across the hallway and feeling a chill trailing down my spine. I gasp softly as I felt Saffy’s hand tightening and nod to myself while gripping her hand as well to keep her safe.

”Saffy, stay back and promise me you will run away at the first sign of danger.” I spoke.

I wanted her to leave but that was the worst choice since that means leaving her alone which was a problem. I grunt at the sudden change of atmosphere that could cut the air and make me sweat for some unknown reason.

Edited by lVergill

Saffron replied with a simple nod before starting up the stairs.  The further up she walked, the atmosphere felt worse and worse, like the air itself was trying to choke her.  Every so often, the lights would flicker while some would turn off completely for some reason.  Upon reaching the third floor, Saffron couldn't believe what she was seeing.  Blue lockers stained crimson and pieces of a wooden door near the end of the hall.  Littered around the hallway were several bodies, all of them students.  All of them were already dead.  Standing, or more like levitating, off the ground, was a large shadowy thing that Saffron had never seen before.  It was looking away from her, but she could tell that it had to be the thing that killed the students.  Saffron covered her mouth with her free hand.  Her body shook like a leaf.  As much as she wanted to scream, she couldn't.

We move together as we slowly head upstairs to check out the noises ourselves and feeling a bit of pressure from every step we took leading us to the 3rd floors. I could smell a weird stench looming across the hallway and seeing a weird red color staining the blue lockers which at first, though it was painted until I arrive into the hallway itself. My eyes widen to the horrible scene lay before me, countless amount of body scatter around like rag dolls and having a disgusting amount of scar around their body. I growl at this horrible situation and feeling a lot worry about Saffy's safety since this could be our fate if we stay long until my eyes spot a large black figure hovering. Luckily, it paid no attention to our arrival and I became frozen with fear while still walking back ever so slowly until my hand yank at Saffy's hand. I softly gasp under my breath to see Saffy not moving and only shaking at the sigh of this whole mess while I began to sweat bullet at her worst time to completely froze still. I keep pulling and pulling without any reaction from her as her eyes were locked into that monster causing this much damage to the school's campus. 

"Saffron, we have to move." I whisper, softly. 

For a few moments, Saffron didn't respond, almost as if she didn't hear Vergil.  For those few moments, it felt like the world around her had stopped completely.  The horrifying image in front of her was burned into her mind.  She slowly stepped back, but as she did, the shadowy thing slowly turned around, almost as if it had sensed the presence of living humans.  The creature had a grotesque face and empty gray eyes.  Upon seeing Vergil and Saffron, two thorny, vine-like appendages erupted out of the creature's body.  As expected, the thorns and the vines themselves were soaked in blood.  As the creature slowly approached, Saffron remembered what Vergil had told her before they had headed upstairs.  Finally nodding to Vergil, Saffron turned around and started running down the stairs.

I finally see Saffy slowly backing me away from this while mess but it was too late, the monster has come up to us. He turn around very slowly that took forever from my perspective of time and revealing such hideous face which only worsen the situation. My heart sunk at the monster revealing two large thorn popping out of his body with blood at the tip of it and I grunt since I knew this was his killing weapon of choice. This was it, the moment of fight or flight kick in once the beast began hovering toward us and while Saffy turn around nodding to me. I gasp as she took my word and I nod as well since running was the only option. We left the upstairs to sprint across the downstairs to reach 1st floor, to reach some safety and covered some distance from that thing chasing after us.

”Whatever you do, don’t look back.” I said.

Saffron gave a simple nod of reply, deciding to avoid talking to save her energy.  An ear piercing roar came from upstairs from the monster when it's new targets chose to run away.  Lifting itself a bit further off the ground using whatever strange power it was using to float in the first place, the creature slammed it's vine-like appendages on the floor before it started to give chase.  It appeared to have a bit of trouble controlling it's movements at first as it nearly broke through a wall as it tried making it's way down to the first floor.  Once it got going after the near collision with a wall, it chased after Vergil and Saffron relentlessly, occasionally lashing at them with it's vines in an attempt to dig it's thorns into their backs or grab their legs and drag them towards it so it could kill them without resistance.

I could hear that thing roaring across the hallways and narrow my eyes at the flee exit just straight ahead. I hear something passing through me to see that dark vine to my left and I turn to see that beast slowly reaching our tempo while attacking us.

This isn’t good...

My eyes widen to see the recent thrust attack aiming at Saffy and which I quickly respond with a tackle to safe her from the attack but with the cost of me being the target. I tackle her to the classroom as I hug her from the incoming obstacle like door and chairs hitting my body. I scream at the agonizing pain coursing through my body and seeing a gaping hole in my arm. I grit my teeth as blood began to sip out and  feeling light headed from the loss of blood quickly losing. Strangely, I smile as I see Saffy safe and sound from harm which was good.

"Vergil...thank you." was all Saffron could manage to say.  While in any normal situation, she would probably smile, her fear overwhelmed her other feelings at the current time.  She could hear low growling coming from outside the room.  She looked around for any escape routes, and even though the only likely option was the window since it was the first floor, she refused to leave Vergil behind even though he had told her to run at the first sign of danger.  As she heard the growling growing louder, Saffron knew she had to work fast.  "I'm sorry, Vergil...but I don't want you to die." Saffron said quietly.  As she slowly stood up and started towards the windows in hopes of maybe opening one up, the creature took the chance to strike, as if it was waiting for her to do something stupid.  It threw one of it's vines out and managed to wrap itself around Saffron's left leg, dragging her to the floor and digging it's thorns deep into her leg and thigh.  Saffron let out a light cry while the creature slowly dragged her towards it, almost like it wanted Vergil to make a move so it could attack him again.

I grunt from the pain as I narrow my eyes from holding back my tears and seeing Saffy looking for an escape. I couldn’t do much since I was useless with my arm keeping me from doing any lifting and moving it wasn’t an option. The beast was watching from the door, taunting me before pushing and shattering the door like mere paper to him which prove of his inhuman strength. I growl at him as Saffy need to leave right now and leave me to die here since that was unavoidable at this point.

”Saffron! You need to leave right now!” I yell.

She didn’t, all she say was that she couldn’t leave me here and I gasp with worry at her suddenly becoming courageous now. It made me happy since I could feel my hand shaking with fear and death looming behind wasn’t the best feeling I like to know. My eyes widen to see the monster dragging my friend across the floor as she tries to rub away and making me angry for him to do that rather than just finishing up the job left undone.

”Damn you!!!” I scream.

I lift my body which only made me pain hinder my movement but i didn’t care about such thing since my friend was in danger. I pick up a broke wood stick with my right arm and charge at this beast knowing that I have no chance but my body is moving on it’s own. Seeing Saffy hurt or even dying wasn’t something I just let it happen since she was special to me, from the very beginning.

As the creature watched Vergil run at it in an attempt to fight it off, it's expression changed, almost as if it was smiling.  Slowly, it lifted the vine that wasn't wrapped around Saffron's leg.  The twisted smile on the creature's face got even bigger as it attacked Vergil.  A faint noise sort of like a laugh came from it as it forced Saffron to watch it's attack.  It wanted to see the despair she would feel after watching her friend die to try protecting her even though she would be joining him shortly, just like the rest of it's earlier victims.

• Like 1

I see the vine attach to Saffy quickly unwrap and quickly aim at me toward my chest which made me nervous knowing this beast had some intelligent. I glare for a second as the monster grinning at my attempts which only fuel my anger and hatred toward it. I felt the that disgusting vine pierce my chest and thankfully missing any vital organs but the pain was overwhelming than before. I grunt as I made one last ditch effort to stick this broke wood into his disgusting face and piercing his eyes socket for being too overconfident. I hear him scream in agony as me which made me smirk as well and finally understanding why he was smilingly at, pain. 

“Ahhh...” I gasp.

The beast release me from his grasp by removing that tentacle from my body and not longer screaming as I lack the energy to even do that. I felt cold as I stare at the ceiling and my eyes becoming watery from the realization of me not having a good life. I didn’t have a family and fail to tell my feeling to Saffy which mean I was a coward for note telling her sooner but now, it is too late for me.

As Saffron watched the vine pierce Vergil's chest, everything around her felt like it had froze for a moment.  The pain and blood running down her torn up leg didn't bother her nearly as much as watching her close friend take what she thought was a fatal attack from the creature.  While the creature was distracted with laughing and trying to pull the piece of wood out of it's eye, Saffron crawled her way over to Vergil, mostly because she couldn't stand due to her leg.  When she reached Vergil and put her hands on his chest, a few tears ran down her face.  "Vergil...please don't die.  I..." Saffron began to say, but before she could finish her sentence, she felt something sharp pierce through her body.  The only thing that came out of her mouth afterwards was a single gasp as she looked down to find a single bloodstained vine piercing through her.  The creature had missed her vital organs, likely due to how it could on;y see through one of it's eyes.  When the creature removed it's vine from Saffron's body, she fell to the floor next to Vergil.  In the moments she had left, she thought about her family and what they would think if they found out their daughter was suddenly killed.  She thought about the people in the drama club, worried that they would soon suffer the same fate as her.  The last person, and the one she thought was the most important to her, was Vergil.

I began to shed tears as Saffy was being right in front of me as I was powerless to help her. I curse all the gods for pulling this dreadful dream coming true and I grab hold of my Saffy’s cold hand since I was scared of dying. I began to slowly feel cold and my vision dimming away of any life before my consciousnesses drifted away into nothingness.

I walk in the lonesome hallways as I yawn from the deep studies I had to do to score a perfect score on the test in the future and ensuring my place of being the top student around here. I watch outside the window as I continue to walk to see the sun slowly set across the horizon and a bit late in the day for me to do anything besides taking my departure from here. I turn around a corner to see Saffron engross with a script on her hand and a bit too determine with her drama activity which does worry. I stop as I kneel on the floor as I pant and remembering the pain from before.

”What the hell is going on here?” I exclaim.

The previous memory began to fill my mind and remembering my own death clear as day.