Ultra Calamity: A Pokemon Ultra Moon Nuzlocke - Episode 9: Ultra Rescue Mission

The time has come.  We have reached the point of the game where the kiddy gloves come off.  We're coming up to a point of the game where we're going to be caught in a number of difficult battles.  Not right away, but trust me, they're coming, and they can be the difference between every member of the team surviving or a couple of deaths in this episode alone.  Because of this, I grinded up everyone to about Lv. 41 for safety reasons.  Master Derp also finally evolved into a Slowbro during grinding, so that could be useful...well, at least once we find a Water move that doesn't suck.  Sadly, that won't be for quite a while, so we'll just have to deal with it.  On another hand, we can score an encounter here in Tapu Village, so how about we start off with that.

Snorunt.  It's female, so if I can find a Dawn Stone, I can evolve it into a Froslass.  I mean, Froslass is just kind of meh to me, but it's honestly better than Glalie because megas aren't able to be used in the main story.  With the power of Quick Ball technology, I caught her right away and named her Elsa...because of course we have to have a Frozen reference in here somewhere even though I've never actually watched the movie.  Maybe one day I'll watch it, but that day sure isn't today.

So I'm sure I'm making the right decision by choosing to evolve Elsa into Froslass, because Glalie is a physical attacker and Elsa has a Calm nature to lower her Attack.  That's no good.  I'm better off with Froslass after all, but I'm not sure what Ice Body will become when she evolves.  She's more power in the PC, though.  With Elsa in our box, it's time to head on over to Aether House because that's where the game wants us to head next.

So we're technically on Route 15 now, so we could get an encounter, but we won't be doing that yet.  We have story stuff to handle first.  The Aether House is pretty small when you first walk in, and for some reason, there's an Oranguru behind the receptionist desk.  However, the moment after walking in, a couple of kids come out of a room with a Yungoos and force us into a battle.  This battle isn't hard.  It's one mon and you more than likely have six decently leveled team members at this point.  One Bone Club took care of business super fast.  Then again, I may be a bit overleveled out of fear for later encounters, but we don't talk about that.

So with that aside, the kid's Yungoos is still gnawing on Hau's leg.  I guess all those malasadas must make Hau taste like them or something.  A few moments later, Acerola shows up...without Lillie.  Apparently, she was left with Hapu, but the important thing is that Acerola is the next captain and she wants to get these trials started.  Can you feel it in the air that something is going to interrupt me?  If you think yes, then you're probably right.  The moment we walk outside, Lillie's getting harassed by a Team Skull grunt.  He saw her bag moving.  Damn you, Nebby!  Why can't you just stay still in the bag!  Of course, standard procedure says we have to destroy this idiot.

A Drowzee against Spark Plug.  We all know how this one ended.  After frying his Drowzee with a Thunderbolt, the grunt runs off like the coward he is and Lillie rewards us with some Luxury Balls that I'll probably never use since I can just buy Ultra Balls at this point of the game.  "I bought them without even thinking," she says.  Yeah, sure you did, Lillie.  As for us, it's off to the trial site, and a couple more encounters, so let's follow Acerola back to Tapu Village and south of there to Route 14.

This route, like Tapu Village, got caught up in Tapu Bulu's one time rampage fun time.  We can get an encounter, a good TM, and a trial here as well.  Talk about a nice variety pack of fun stuff.  So, how about we start with that TM...or we can find a girl being assaulted by a bunch of Frillish right in front of where my TM is.  Luckily for me, this is a free Frillish encounter.  I think this static Frillish is always female, so you'll be having yourself a pink Frillish.  It gets good when it comes to bulking special attacks when it evolves into Jellicent, but at the moment, I already have two Water types and a Ghost type, so I don't need her on the team.  I will name her Big Pink, though.  It's nature is fairly irrelevant since it's already pretty slow, and it's Attack stat is pretty much unused completely.  I got Water Absorb as the ability, so this thing can be good for taking Water type attacks.  For now, it's off to the box with it.

So after catching the Frillish, the other ones run off and the woman who was just trying to catch her own Frillish rewards us with a Destiny Knot.  Good for breeding, but this is a nuzlocke, where I'm not trying to make competitive mons, so it's fairly useless to me.  With her gone and a battle with a Veteran who isn't here in the original games, we can finally get a TM for Shadow Ball, which I taught to Master Derp right away since I can get some milage out of a Ghost move.

With that little situation covered, it's time to head up the stairs for...

Trial #6: The Trial of Acerola!  Super Spooky Photo Shoot!

So this trial requires us to enter the old, abandoned Thrifty Megamart, where Ghost type Pokemon (and Klefki for some reason) have made it their home.  Using a special feature installed on our Poke Finder by Acerola, we are to enter this ruined store and take a picture of the elusive Mimikyu.  Prepare for anything, and let's go inside.

Well then, this place is creepy, and the music sure doesn't help the case.  You can also hear a Mimikyu cry every now and again.  Welp, guess we need to do this, right?  I wonder what...ok, one of the conveyer belts is moving on it's own.  That's a little weird.  Upon closer inspection, it turns out it's a Gastly causing the problem, likely one of Spooky's friends, pissed off that I killed him.  It was no problem for Styles, so let's...see a Pikachu?  What's going on here?  Whatever.  Let's continue on.

As we move forward, a shopping cart starts moving all by itself.  Is it another one of Spooky's pissed off friends?  We can probably bet it is, because a Haunter is the cause of the problem.  You can probably see the running theme here, can you?  And there goes that Pikachu again.  What's the deal with that thing?  Let's just go deeper in...to find floating dolls?  This can only be the work of Spooky's older brother, Gengar.  He's an expert at making random objects float around.  He's the most dangerous of them all and he used to always tease Spooky back when they lived at the cemetery together until he went to Spookster University in Kanto.  He'll likely be the hardest opponent in this trial yet.  He's also very, very camera shy.

...Well, never mind.  No wonder he was the worst member of the Spooky Spirits Club.  Anyway, the weird Pikachu walked into some back room, so let's head over and...Acerola?  What the heck?  Isn't she suppose to be outside?  Apparently, I'm done with the trial, but I didn't get a picture of the totem yet.  The place is "dangerous," but all I've run into is a few vengeful spirits who want revenge for me getting Spooky killed.  Even if she wants me to leave, I have to finish this trial, at least to honor Spooky's memory.  Taking a picture showed that the Acerola we saw was just an illusion...and the weird back door opened without me doing a thing.  Walking inside, the Poke Finder activates on it's own...there are some strange pictures about, and lying in wait right behind us is...

totem6.jpg

The totem, Mimikyu.  It turns out that it was the strange Pikachu we were seeing after slaughtering Spooky's friends and older brother.  This totem is the first example of one that gets all of it's stats boosted at once because...difficulty increasing or something, hell if I know.  My goal here is to completely cripple this thing so it can't do much of anything, and that is the special role Styles is here to play.  With the combination of Baby Doll Eyes having priority and then Sand-Attack to lower accuracy, we just need to lower it's stats then Bite spam to win.

This thing called up a Banette right away, but it's nothing Styles couldn't handle.  Curse is very troubling since it'll force me to switch to get rid of it, and Mailbird was my choice of a switch so I could heal Styles, since he can hard wall this Mimikyu.  Mailbird easily took a couple of Play Roughs so I could Hyper Potion Styles and get him back in the action to get this Mimikyu so weakened, it can't do anything at all...or make it run out of Play Roughs, thus eliminating it's only offensive option for Styles.

Scratch what I said, it has Slash too, but with it's Attack lowered so much along with the fact that Styles has Fur Coat to lower physical damage, I started up the Sand-Attack spam to lower it's accuracy so it wouldn't be able to even touch Styles.  I also learned it has Leech Life too for recovery, but it still hardly matters with how badly statused it is.  With it's accuracy at it's lowest and it's attacks so weak, they feel like scratches to Styles, he broke the disguise and started mauling the Mimikyu with Bite spam.  I threw on an X Attack to help speed up the process a little since it wasn't doing much due to Mimikyu's defense boost.  After a bit, it called in it's next ally, a Jellicent.  While it didn't stand a chance, it had Cursed Body to block out my one offensive option for Mimikyu, so for a bit, I had to use Headbutt to waste turns away.

When the disable wore off, it was back to business as usual and after two more Bites, Styles finished off the ghost and won us the trial.  Good work, Styles.  You've proven yourself at last.  The Mimikyu, defeated, dissapeared, and we have the picture we came for.  Although, when we tell Acerola about our experience in there, she doesn't believe us about her being in there or about the strange back room, but we still get ourselves a Ghostium Z and some Dusk Balls.  Acerola walks off, and if you look closely behind the fence, you could see a Mimikyu walk by.  Spooky, huh?  Well, now that we got the trial done, before we proceed with our usual MVP Spotlight, let's get an encounter inside.

I was expecting Shuppet, but instead, I got Klefki as my first encounter.  I'm a bit dissapointed, to be honest, since Banette at least has potential to be decent without it's mega evolution, but Klefki is just sort of meh.  I guess I'll take it, though.  And from a recommendation, he shall be named Captain Keys, or Capt. Keys for short.  I don't know how to feel about this one because I've never used Klefki before.  He's Modest...but what does Klefki normally do other than set up hazards because of priority?  I don't know, so let's just keep him in the box for now while we do our MVP Spotlight, and we already know who earned his keep.

but what does Klefki normally do other than set up hazards because of priority?  I don't know, so let's just keep him in the box for now while we do our MVP Spotlight, and we already know who earned his keep

It's our top dog himself, Styles, with his Dandy Trim.  He's quite a heartbreaker, you know, attracting that Mimikyu and then breaking her heart by killing her with Bite.  I'll have to scold him for that later, but right now, he's earned his position as part of the team.  Now, we've finished all our trials, but we have no idea who the kahuna is around here.  Earlier, Sophocles said there were some odd circumstances in Ula'ula, so he became a captain.  I wonder what that's all about.  I guess it's not...totally important right now.  What is important is now that we have the Ghostium Z, we can go to the most useless area outside of Kala'e Bay.

So in the last episode, I had only briefly mentioned this area, but this is Haina Desert, our resident desert area.  You never have to come here for the story at all, so I fail to understand why you require the Ghostium Z to gain access to it.  Sure, there is postgame relevance to this place (and by that, I only mean the Ruins of Abundance where Tapu Bulu is) and the Psychium Z is here, but other than those things, you have almost zero reason to come to this area at all.  It's only slightly more memorable than Kala'e Bay.  Since I restricted myself from using Z-Crystals, the only thing I care about here is my encounter, so let's get it and hope I get a Sandile.

Well, it's not Sandile, but it's evolution, Krokorok.  I like the Sandile line, and once upon a time in another nuzlocke, Krookodile really put in work for me.  Once again, the power of Quick Ball technology gave me an easy catch and I chose to name him Shades.  His nature is...alright, and he got Moxie instead of Intimidate, which should be fine.  Both abilities are pretty good, to be fair.  If I didn't have The Third, I'd raise him up and put him on the team in an instant, but I do have The Third, so Shades will be heading off to the PC until I need him.  Now that we got that settled, how about we head back to Aether House before that Yungoos eats Hau alive...even though it would mostly be his fault for having a malasada fetish.

Well of course, some kind of interruption has to take place.  It turns out that one Team Skull grunt I sent packing earlier got some backup, and one of them is the admin, Plumeria.  Conversation is short and we get dragged right into a battle.  She still has her Golbat, which is still no challenge since I have ways to obliterate it.  One Thunderbolt from Spark Plug destroyed it.  Other than her Golbat, she happened to have evolved her Salandit into a Salazzle.  I would say it's a little scary, but let's be real here, I have Master Derp, who has Psychic to completely destroy it.  Easy win.

After the battle, Plumeria mentions something about "going to them" to get a Pokemon back.  Alone.  So it turns out while we were gone, Team Skull scooped up the Yungoos that loved biting at Hau.  Now, I know I said I was going to keep my opinions saved for later, but this is just one thing I failed to understand.  They're after Cosmog, right?  Why didn't they just go for Cosmog instead of the Yungoos?  Even then, Hau was there the whole time.  Couldn't he have done something to stop them, or was he face deep in malasadas that he couldn't see these guys abduct the Yungoos?

I guess it hardly matters, because now we need to go strolling into Team Skull's base of operations...alone.  If we're going to head over there, we need to go to Route 15 and find a guy wearing a kimono.  The girl hands us over a Rare Candy, but it's clear she doesn't care in the slightest about our well-being and just wants her Yungoos back.  At this rate, I may as well just let Team Skull keep the stupid thing.  A shame that's not an option, so to Route 15 we go to find the guy that Acerola mentioned.  For those who have played a certain other Pokemon game, he should seem familiar.  Anyway, he flips a coin and gives us Sharpedo for our Ride Pager.  Yes, that's it.  So now that we have Sharpedo, we can get on to Route 16, but before that, this is Route 15 and I didn't get an encounter here yet, so let's see what we can get.

Route 15 had only mons I've already caught, but while I was exploring, I ran into a kid who wanted me to see his sandcastle, and it turned out to be a Sandygast.  With the amazing, almighty power of Quick Ball technology, I caught it right away.  This makes up for my failed Hano Beach encounter.  I named it Posessor, as a Kingdom Hearts enemy reference.  It's nature is...pretty bleh, to be honest.  I don't know if I'll use it or not, but something is better than nothing, right?  It turns out the kid was attempting to trick me, but I see his games.  Still, we got an encounter out of it, and that's all that counts.  Let's press onward.

Route 16 is right near where I got the Sandygast and we can get yet another encounter with the power of Quick Ball technology.  Today's victim after a bunch of Pelippers is a Scraggy.  I guess it's alright, but without egg moves and how lazy I am when it comes to Mantine Surfing for BP, it's a bit...average.  Extremely weak to Fairy, though, which can be a problem.  I chose to name her Thug Life...because Scrafty is a hoodlum.  She has a neutral nature and High Jump Kick, which could be very useful coming up.  For now, I'll box her, but I am considering switching someone in the team out since they haven't really been putting in much work.

Anyway, with that aside, we move on to Ula'ula Meadow, my prime grinding spot on this island.  We can score yet another encounter here, so let's pray for something amazing...but first, Faba, that guy from the Aether Foundation is here?  What's he doing here?  Apparently he's looking into Necrozma while still generally being a jerk about everything.  Some things never change.  Now, let's get that encounter for real.

Petilil has promise, but I'm not sure if I have a Sun Stone to evolve it.  Plus, it's pretty much the only thing I could've gotten as an encounter since I already have Cutiefly so Ribombee is dupes, I have Oricorio, and I have Ariados.  Quick Balls still prove to be the greatest tool ever for catching encounters and we got ourselves Tulips the Petilil added to our ranks.

.....This Petilil has promise.  Own Tempo with the ability to learn Petal Dance at Lv. 46 after evolving.  If I have a Sun Stone, this thing can be really good even without having Quiver Dance until the literal end of the main story.  I'll consider grinding it up later, but for now, it's time we move on.  We have a Yungoos to rescue.

Route 17 is quite the rainy place, and it's crawling with Team Skull grunts.  Looks like we're on the right track towards Po Town.  There's a police station too, but...it's got a bunch of Alolan Meowth inside, and it looks like someone's been living in there.  Oh well, we got an encounter to get an a bunch of numbskulls to bring down, so how about we get to it.

So after running around for about 15 minutes and finding only things I've already caught, I chose to give up and just proceed with the story.  Two Team Skull grunts are blocking the way into Po Town, and naturally, we have to fight them both.  They're Team Skull grunts, though, so there's no challenge at all.  Bitter after losing, they head in and lock the door.  After that, some guy shows up.  He apparently has his reasons for allowing us to put our lives at risk to go into Po Town to take on Team Skull.  If we don't make it, he'll be sure our remains make it back home.  So, let's head...

My god, this place looks awful, and the rain is even worse.  Right away, the path ahead is blocked by Team Skull grunts behind a barricade.  Since they have no intention of letting us in, there's only one way through, and that's to go around.  By getting around, naturally, we have no choice but to battle and make them regret blocking the path of the destroyer of Alola.

After two pushover battles, we're on our way.  The Pokemon Center is a total mess, the power's out, but for 10 Poke Dollers, we can heal up here.  Dare I ask what they intend to use the money for?  Probably not.  Anyway, after walking through this super rainy town, it's time to enter the lion's den, the Shady House.  We have a number of Team Skull grunts to destroy and a few clues to pick up in order to reach Guzma.  After blowing up Team Skull grunt after grunt and finding the three passwords, we make our way up to the room where Guzma and the Yungoos await us.  He also has a chest full of Z-Crystals.  That's...a little strange, considering Guzma doesn't have a Z-Power Ring.  That's not important, it's time...for round 2 with Guzma.

So like before, he leads with his Golisopod while I lead with Mailbird, who I know can tank at least one hit from this thing.  So, during my grinding, I battled a trainer who gave me a Choice Specs, and I handed that to Mailbird to greatly power up her Air Cutter to hopefully instakill Golisopod before Emergency Exit can force it out.  The thing is that Mailbird is only two levels ahead, so it might not work out.  Only one way to find out, and that's click Air Cutter.

...Well, it died instantly.  Now here comes a new addition to his team, Pinsir.  Rain is up, and that will screw over Mother, so Mailbird's staying in.  The bad news is that Choice Specs locks me into using Air Cutter, but it's enough to kill the Pinsir right away.  Last but not least is the threatening Masquerain from last time.  Instead of risking Mailbird's life because of her awful Special Defense, I sent in Spark Plug because Intimidate would assure that The Third probably wouldn't kill with Rock Slide.  Spark Plug took the Bug Buzz and knocked the bug out of the sky with a Thunderbolt.  And just like that, Guzma is finished.

With Guzma beaten, we get the Yungoos back, but because we've only ever eaten one malasada and don't taste like them at all, the Yungoos runs off almost straight away.  Guzma claims he's gonna beat us down one of these days, which I doubt will ever happen, and we can leave, but not before getting our useless Buginium Z.  Now, let's get out of this rainy place and back to someplace nice and warm while we say bad things about Lillie...I mean what?

Although, the moment we walk out (or be lazy like me and use an Escape Rope), the guy from before is right there at the entrance.  He'll heal up our team and suddenly Acerola will show up and we'll learn that this guy is named Nanu.  Apparently, he's a cop who's staying super close to Team Skull to stop their stupid annoying stuff...and the rent's cheap.  Anyway, once he's gone, it's back to Aether House with us, but I will say that you should be ready for a battle.  I have one thing I need to get prepared first, so I'll go there in just a moment.

So, back to Aether House again.  When we get back, the kids are yelling at Hau about something.  Turns out that Hau is more pathetic than I thought because it turns out Team Skull is smarter than I thought.  While we were gone in Po Town, they came back.  Stealing the Yungoos was a ruse because they knew they couldn't win against me.  Even if she chose to go willingly (which was a dumb idea, by the way), Hau could've done something, but even then, it was Lillie who stepped up.  Suddenly, Gladion the Edgelord arrives.  I'm guessing he never knew that Lillie was the one who swiped up Cosmog, but how does he know who she is?  And now to take out his aggression, we get dragged into a forced battle.

I believe this time he's not hiding his Golbat behind the Zororark, but I led with Styles anyway just in case.  One use of Acrobatics told me that, yes, it's really Golbat this time.  A crit Headbutt took down the Golbat pretty easily.  Now, here comes Type: Null...or Zoroark.  I actually switched Mother out of the party temporarily for Haruyo, who I had raised up to a respectable level during grinding since we're going to be dealing with Dark types fairly soon and I wanted something that could hopefully survive a Z-Move.  So, I brought in Haruyo on the potential Zoroark.  It used Hyper Voice, so right away, it screamed "hi, I'm a Zoroark and now I'm dead because I have no Defense to my name!"  So with that out of the way, all that remains is the real Type: Null.  Haruyo ate the second Crush Claw after avoiding the first one and two Brick Breaks shut down Null.

After the totally pointless battle, I want to go heal first, so we need to meet Gladion at the Ula'ula ferry terminal.  I suggest that, if you aren't ready for another battle, you say No to Gladion so you can go heal, grind, or buy items.  Hau clearly feels guilty and is doubting himself, but I'll let him think about what he's done.  Let's go back to Malie City and prepare ourselves for another rescue mission.

I'm not mentally prepared for this one, but we have to do it.  Hau probably wants to redeem himself, so we'll have to wait for him, but while we do and think a little of how he's living in the kahuna's shadow, Nanu appears.  Turns out he's the kahuna, and in my opinion, the scariest kahuna of all.  In my Sun Nuzlocke, he claimed two of my party members.  I'm hoping for no repeat of that.

So he leads with a Sableye, which only has one weakness that I don't have.  He's already on par with my team, so I'm pretty scared here.  I led with The Third and took the expected Fake Out before going for Iron Head next turn, but Shadow Ball does way too much damage.  I went with plan B by bringing in Styles on the second Shadow Ball, and then proceeded to Bite spam.  I got two flinches in a row before he used a Hyper Potion, and since Styles could tank a Power Gem, I kept him in and kept spamming Bite.  Through the power of flinches, Sableye was finished.

Next on the list of threats was Krokorok.  Master Derp is weak to Dark, so I went into Mailbird since Krokorok is a physical attacker.  With Choice Specs and rain, the Krokorok died right away.  Now it's time for the reason I swapped Mother out for Haruyo.  Alolan Persian with a Z-Move.  It's two levels higher than Haruyo, which can be a bit troubling, so I used a Roto Boost for safety.  It's been a while since I last used one.  It went for the typical Fake Out, but because of Fluffy, it did literatly no damage.  Well, it did 4.  That's it.  After a Dark Pulse that did a little bit, he went right for the Z-Move...which did a ton because it crit, but it didn't kill Haruyo.  At the same time, my Brick Break didn't kill either and I chose to heal in case he got another crit with Dark Pulse.  No more flinches means one Brick Break to the face finished the job.

Nanu will fix up our team and give us our prize, a pose, and then he's on his way.  He also gives a question to Gladion before heading off.  Once Hau shows up, it's time for us to be off.  To where, though?  It couldn't be Po Town since we were there the entire time.  Where else could Lillie be?

She was taken to Aether Paradise.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f784e3459584b45685949556a4e773d3d2d3534393436323739312e313532306338643930623838623966353735373036323137313934312e6a7067

Archived