Welcome to Despair Land [Vergil x NyxAvatar69 x PinkKitten]

'How did I end up in this mess?' Crystal thought, sitting up in a tree.  In her time within the Land of Despair, she learned that fewer of them lurked around outside of towns or cities.  Since she couldn't kill them without the blessing of the gods, it would be only more hassle to stay in town.  Crystal let out a sigh while she looked up at the sky.  Large purple clouds covered the sky, keeping the sunlight blocked off.  'How long was it since that day?  Two weeks, right?' Crystal thought to herself while she raised her bandaged right hand.  It was a similarly dark day when she was dropped off at the front entrance of the Witch Queen's flying castle.  She was secretly hired to go and defeat the Witch Queen, who appeared to have goals of conquering the entire world.  What she wasn't informed of was how powerful the evil witch actually was.  She stood no chance against her and nearly died.  Crystal clenched her fists as she remembered the smug smile the Witch Queen had before throwing her away after placing the infamous Despair Curse on her.  "I'll kill her." Crystal simply said, jumping out of the tree and grabbing her backpack that she had sitting at the base of the tree.  She shook her head, figuring the time for thinking about the past was over and it was time to move on.

The wind howl as it push against me while I took into hiding from those things lurking around everywhere lately and ever since that Witch Queen show up, this place has become hell on Earth. The footsteps of this thing walking around made me lower myself into hiding which anger me so much and grunt as I look at my right palm as I hold that curse within me which pain me to see it there. Their numbers of the undead were unbelievable during the first time I encounter them and proving my downfall as I learn it the hard way. I grip my right hand as I keep my distance from them until I find an alternative to physical hurt that queen and kill her with my bear hand for what she has done to my friends. The purple sky began to growl at the incoming storm brewing at the horizon which made me go into the side of the forest in case anything went sour and using the forest for a safe route to retreat. 

“What are the chance of me winning against her majesty alone?...” I wander, “Probably Zero.” I sigh.

I clench my claymore’s hilt as I sneakily crouch down while moving forward and think about my next plan of action.

Pia wandered through the cold, mist-shrouded land, taking a bite out of the former loaf of bread she had been eating away at for the past week. She was used to this type of diet these days, though she didn't care anymore. She ate just enough to keep her alive in this living hell, doomed to feel her heart weighted down for the sake of others as she released them from their burdens. This lifestyle had left her visibly worn and thin, barely more than slender muscle and bone, but even now her physical body refused to fail her. She sighed, her hands slowly reaching on either side of her tangled dusty rose hair, intertwining and pulling as her thoughts filled with the usual memories, the traces that others had left in her mind. Why me? Someone, save me... She reeled, the dirt ground seemingly zooming up to meet her. Take anyone else instead. Let them all die if you have to, but save me.

Perhaps she had overestimated her body. As she felt herself growing increasingly unstable on her limbs, she wondered if she would be released soon from her duty. Her cold and luminous teal eyes stared up at the sky as she saw the dark clouds approaching. Slowly, she stood again, doggedly continuing in her path and searching for some sort of shelter. There would surely be someone to heal tonight...There always was on stormy nights. Those were the nights when cold penetrated people to their cores and amplified their misery and self-pity. Pia sighed but regained her steadiness as she went on her way.

Crystal stopped for a few moments to take a look at her general surroundings, just in case.  When she looked up and saw the approaching dark clouds, she shook her head.  "Of course.  The next town is still miles away.  It's not safe around here, especially if any of them are lurking around.  If I catch a cold from the rain, I'm screwed.  There has to be a place somewhere around here I can hold out until this stupid weather clears up." Crystal said to herself.  Knowing she had little time to waste, Crystal broke into a run, searching for some kind of shelter as the rain started to come down.  Crystal swore under her breath during her search, but luck was on her side.  She had found what appeared to be the remains of an old temple in the forest, likely one of the many temples from times of old that had been discovered by researchers in order to find a weakness of the Witch Queen.  Since nobody ever revealed what the Witch Queen's weakness was, the odds that the researchers were all killed was almost certain.  As Crystal made her way into the pitch black temple, she tried to listen for any noises other than the rain coming from outside.  When she didn't hear any footsteps, she let out a sigh of relief and threw her backpack down on the floor before taking a seat in front of it.  The tattered brown coat she wore over her clothes was wet from the rain, and she couldn't have that at all.  Crystal dug through her backpack and pulled out a small lantern and a bright red stone.  The stone let out a bright, warm light when Crystal put it into the lantern, much like a portable fire.  She set the lantern down near her while she took off her coat.  'If there's one good thing about this stupid place, it's the fact that getting these magical stones is pretty easy.  I hear that the Witch Queen's overloaded power has awakened deposits of magical stones all over.' Crystal thought.

As the sight of a horde of the undead lurking around at every corner made me feel uneasy since I knew I have no chance now to fight those things and the heavy rain becoming visible, it was a bad idea. My next, best course of action was to take the safe route into the forest to find something to take shelter from this rain or make one if necessary. The sound of water splashing beneath me as I sprint for any structure or cave that could work against the heavy rain coming down as the lightning flash in the purple sky followed by the roaring thunder growing at the world beneath. 

"Great...." I mutter, angrily.

As my luck seems to be running out, my eyes managed to catch a glimpse of a structure and quickly made me turn toward that direction to take a close look at it to find a temple. My eyes widen at this building but I hardly think of anything with the rain making me drench and I quickly enter it as the wetness of the rain became quite unbearable. I sigh as the inside was completely dark which made me pull my lighter to Illuminate this dark-pitch temple which was hardly anything but I could still manage to see my way through here. The complete silence of this strange place was quite nerve wrecking as I hold my sword that was behind my hips horizontally and make my way deeper into the temple as the heavy rain became muffled by the darkness swallowing me inside. 

Despite her exhaustion, Pia managed to pick up the pace, following a distant spiritual pull towards a certain place. It was similar to being beckoned by a voice or a fragrance; it was clearly intended to connect with her spiritual senses, but it was also too weak to compel her to go. Before long, a decrepit temple came into view. Judging from the foliage sprouting from its cracks, it had long since been abandoned. Nevertheless, it was shelter and Pia felt comfortable there. She stepped inside, her soft footsteps echoing down the hall. Her deathly pale skin emitted a faint glow as her body reacted to the energy of this place. 

Pia entered a central altar hall, feeling around the semidarkness for dry kindling. Unexpectedly, after finding mostly damp and half-rotten logs, she came across a few dry sticks. Before long, she had a small fire going in the altar and she stared at it pensively as she slowly took out her bread and took another bite. 

Crystal let out a sigh while she leaned back against the stone wall behind her.  While she was used to waiting out weather, she found it inconvenient that it had to start raining at the worst possible moment.  'There's apparently a library in the town ahead.  I was hoping to get information from there today, but now this happens.  I still have to be careful.  One of them could be lurking around here for all I know.  It's not common to see them around places like this, but you can't be too careful.' Crystal thought to herself while she dug through her bag for something she could use as a weapon in a pinch.

As I continue walking down the dark path of this barred temple, I could faintly see a light from the horizon which was weird to find in this empty dark void and I began approaching it as a feminine figure appear from the light. My eyes widen to find a survivor still alive from that Witch Queen's invasion that clearly almost wipe any know resistance and yet here I am standing somewhat close to another human being. Strangely enough, this pink-haired girl had strong glowing blue eyes with a pale glowing coursing throughout her body which made her easy to find even without the light by my side. I step out of the shadow as she notices my presence in the room as I noticed her eating crumbs of bread in her hand and the small campfire by her side. 

"Who are you?" I ask, curious. 

I lose grip of my sword from my hips as she didn't look like a major threat and one person that I could socialize since it felt like forever since I meet a person since that incident. I fold my arms as I slowly walk to her as sat down to hear her story about herself and how she came to be here while keeping a good watch around us if anyone tries to be funny. 

Pia turned to see a stranger approach her, and she moved slightly to share the meager warmth of the fire. Though he was armed, she didn't worry about considering whether he'd attack her or not. Her life had become relatively worthless to herself as she saw no meaning to her existence; that was why she walked straight into this godforsaken place, after all. But looking at this boy, his surprise was relatively easy to read. Nor did he seem particularly interested in the piece of bread that she was gravely gnawing away at.

"I am Pia," she answered him truthfully, though she didn't expect this to mean very much to him. She stared into his eyes as he walked closer and sat down as if expecting a conversation. That was something Pia wasn't prepared for. People generally didn't seem too talkative unless they were in need of help. Her eyes bore into his for a few silent seconds before she spoke again.

"You are lonely," she stated flatly. The way it came out, it wasn't altogether clear if she was stating a fact or asking a question. She couldn't provide him with the sociable banter he might have been expecting, but she could slightly lessen his loneliness, if that was his problem. It would just require her to activate her Spirit Glance, though she generally reserved it for physical wounds.

'Here it is.' Crystal thought, pulling a large knife out of her bag.  For a moment, she looked towards the gauntlet she was wearing on her left arm.  Ever since she had been infected by the Despair Curse, the simple act of trying to make a weapon with the gauntlet's unusual power led to hurting her.  Due to that and how the weapons she made with the gauntlet could only stay in creation for a limited amount of time, Crystal had taken to finding any temporary backup weapons she could get her hands on to make up for the unreliability of her gauntlet's power.  She grabbed her still wet coat and the lantern sitting next to her and stood up.  'If I'm going to kill time, I may as well look around this place.  Ruins like these tend to have information on the past.  Maybe I can find something that could be considered a weakness to that damn queen.' Crystal thought before starting to walk deeper into the ruins.  As she made her way in, she moved her lantern towards the wall to her right in hopes of finding any ancient writing regarding the Witch Queen.  All she could find, however, was information on the origins of magical power in humans.  "A waste of-" Crystal started to quietly say until she saw a distant light.  Crystal's grip on her knife tightened and she chose to leave her lantern behind as she slowly moved towards the source of the light.  'It's probably some explorer taking refuge from the rain.  Surprising that idiots like that still wander around looking for artifacts and stuff, not like it matters around here.' Crystal thought to herself.

As I lay down on the cold floor, the strange girl spoke softly about her name being Pia while acting rather odd for a girl and looking quite the shy type from what I could see. The sudden announcement of her statement made me flinch at the abrupt speaking and made glare at this girl who made this false assumption since everyone here are either lonely or in despair. No human should ever find peace on this land and Pia look more lonely than me based on her small speech pattern. 

"Aren't you too? This world hasn't been best lately if you have noticed." I reply.

I sigh at this girl quiet demeanor but I prefer this than some loudmouth and noticed her eating some bread while looking a bit out of color in her skin. My ears picking up a weird noise coming from the horizon which made me quiet for a second but ignored as I look at the fire and hearing the rain coming down hard on us which mean a while here with her. 

"So, what can you do exactly? Besides glowing in the dark..." I mutter.