Notification Hell

As of thinking about the notification for a long while now, I couldn't come up with a reasonable solution to the constant notification beside removing the option to receing a notification from posting or replying a post, preferably the RP Club I made since myself and @Shuya "Cheshire" Hideaki being the most active will cause annoyance to our fellow Dreamers. I bought this topic to find a better solution to this rather than just turning the notification off since this will likely make some Dreamers unfollow or discourage them to follow due to the notification ringings constantly like there no tomorrow... 

Well...I already check that setting but nothing about blocking the notification of me posting inside the club and replying in the RP Public I made.  

You should check Neptune, Manni or Foxy Notification list to understand what I am referring to and get you on the same page. 

• 1 month later...
  • Senior Staff

I tend to have an issue as well, it honestly discourages me from following a lot of people. I think what Vergil is getting at is the issue that when you follow somebody, you get notifications for everything they do. Every status they make, every image they upload, every thread they start, every public reply they make. So when you follow a particularly active user, you might come back to the site the next day to see a huge wall of notifications from several different roleplays that have absolutely nothing to do with you. I think a good solution would be to simply have an option to mute certain parts of a user's activity when following them, and in the case of roleplays, to be able to simply mute specific threads they're posting in. 

• Community Administrator

You can already do this, in a broad sense, with the notification options. Other than that, there isn't much we can do because it would require huge changes on the IPS software which we cannot do. @Temaelrin could suggest something to them, but there is no guarantee that they will implement it.

I don't think you did, because I tend to have the problem where I get a wall of notifications for roleplays I am not involved in, nor interested in even reading. I think I am going to disable following a Dreamers post, and then if I want to see posts in an RP I am interested in, I'll simply follow the thread itself. It's a trade-off.

In the notifications options; I have this turned off for this reason:-

image.png

I get the problem though, it's a little monolithic, like a shotgun approach to followers. I'd prefer it if it was a little more... Modular. But it's somewhat modular enough that you can turn it off; but as you've both pointed out... That's not exactly perfect. This is why I use the Activity Feed; a lot. Because you can set up to show all content, or the content from people you follow. You can even make your own custom streams, from the menu at the top of the site (Or on mobile, in the hamburger menus) click/tap on Activity and then look at My Activity Streams.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up