E3 2018

• Community Administrator

Posted a status about the only real thing I cared about from that cringe fest - Fallout 76:- 

So the release date is 14th November 2018. Some highlights, what they revealed if you don't want to watch the video is:

• Confirmed online mode (To play with friends and/or strangers was implied)
  • Will also have a single player mode (But not clear if it's "Offline Mode" - Todd worded that very carefully)
  • You can nuke things with 4 accessible missile silos which you need to collect keys for. I assume by killing special enemies.
  • And you can collect rare resources from areas you've nuked. But that comes with extreme risk.
  • Collectors edition will have a power armour helmet (I think it's going to be a cheap plastic thing) And a glow in the dark map.
  • "Four times larger than Fallout 4". (I hope that doesn't also mean four times more empty). 
  • You can build shit anywhere (apparently) with C.A.M.P, I am not sure if that's a portable settlement.
  • Monsters (and I assume other players) can destroy/actually damage your settlement. (Looked like a destructible environment)
  • They will be BETAing the new Fallout to mitigate common day-one release problems. (B.E.T.A - Break Early Test Application, or something to that effect).

Bonus:

• RAGE2 - Didn't hold my interest.
  • Doom: Eternal - Looked interesting.
  • They're also releasing a completely new original game called Starfield; I might be interested in seeing what that is.
  • They also teased Elder Scrolls VI (6)

I'm sure I probably missed something or whatever, so feel free to add to the list in the comments below. But this is what I cared about or remembered. I am worried about the modding capability with Fallout 76. There's a lot of problems when you mod your game, and you're playing with people who don't have those mods. They'll either have to get it, or the assets are in a centrally controlled location or something - like The Creation Club. Maybe mods will only work in the single player mode which will be good. But then they might lock out the game from being modded unless you get from the Creation Club. Who knows. I'd be interested in seeing how this is implemented. Will TES6 be a co-op/multiplayer enabled game too? Who knows. We'll find out. I am surprised that they're releasing so many AAA titles in such a short span especially after the release of Fallout 4 in 2015. I really hope it's not rushed and "empty". 

Anyone got any thoughts?

First of all this is just my personal opinion: I found the pre-show to the Bethesda stuff to be intolerably cringeworthy, it felt so fake, and I don't know if the two women were trying too hard, or were having a shit day and tried to put a happy face on it, or they were completely uninterested or never picked up a game in their life or whatever but the one on the left had the look in her eyes that screamed "I'm dead inside" to some of overly... Hippie-aye-ae bullshit they were pretending to be excited about. Oh and that look she gave, at some joke she gave just came off as... Well you'll see what I mean by Cringe when she finally gets to saying 'Download today'. The show didn't get much better either, it just felt - to me - like it was a show for big kids. I get they want to build hype and put on a wonderful show for the people who've no doubt paid to see it, but from the otherside of the world, through a YouTube video, that's just how it came across. 

That's literally all I have ever watched of an E3 show, and I think I will never watch anything like that ever again. Over hyped and on quite a few of the things they spoke about - very little substance, and I'm talking about the actual show there, not just the pre-show. If that's the whole point of E3 then fuck that shit. I'll just read the stuff I read from the sites that speak about these things with more substance. I get that I am also a bit of a cynical stick in the mud, especially after watching that pre-show. It put me in one hell of a cynical mood because everything that came out of their mouths felt absolutely fake. 

And no; I know they weren't there for my personal amusement, before anyone gets outraged at this. I didn't like any of it, except for the cold, hard information. As I said; I'm a bit of a stick in the mud for that kind of thing. I am entitled to feel however I wish to feel about something, and voice my opinion on it. Just as you are. 🙂

I'm in complete agreement with you. That Pre-show was vomit inducingly cringy. I had to close my eyes through a lot of it because I was shuddering so hard. 

But, either way, I too noticed how carefully Todd was wording the 'online' stuff. He said that it was 'Entirely online' but went on to say that it could be played solo but didn't actually state if you still needed to be online. If you need to be online and connected to a server in order to play the game, I think the release day might end up being a bit, er, troublesome? Especially if they aren't careful. Maybe they should talk to EA about how that turned out xD 

I personally don't like the thought of it being always online. And I most certainly don't want to play the game with complete strangers. I would prefer only Co-op with Temaelrin, or playing solo on my own. 

The only other game I am interested in, in their next Elder Scrolls. Although like with the Fallout game, I'm very skeptical and very cynical. I'm not boarding the hype train for anything.

2 hours ago, Arno said:

So anyone keeping up with it? Cause I got some funny things to say about it.

At least from what I heard.

So what have you heard?

26 minutes ago, Neptune said:

The only other game I am interested in, in their next Elder Scrolls. Although like with the Fallout game, I'm very skeptical and very cynical. I'm not boarding the hype train for anything.

Yes; there wasn't a lot of information on that at all. Did like the revamped music though, a refreshed Skyrim theme might inspire lots more "Cover Versions".

31 minutes ago, Neptune said:

But, either way, I too noticed how carefully Todd was wording the 'online' stuff. He said that it was 'Entirely online' but went on to say that it could be played solo but didn't actually state if you still needed to be online. If you need to be online and connected to a server in order to play the game, I think the release day might end up being a bit, er, troublesome? Especially if they aren't careful. Maybe they should talk to EA about how that turned out xD 

I personally don't like the thought of it being always online. And I most certainly don't want to play the game with complete strangers. I would prefer only Co-op with Temaelrin, or playing solo on my own. 

We know that always online games can work with Solo Play only, and Co-Op/Private Group as well as full public; we've seen it before with Elite: Dangerous. But there are a few concerns about this that I can think of at the top of my head:

• What happens when those "Dedicated Servers" that are going to be "Up for years to come" finally go down, or Bethesda closes them down. Does that make the game completely unplayable? Or will they release a patch for it that allows for solo play only?
  • How much of the solo play aspect is sacrificed to make the multiplayer function work or uniform? And visa-versa, how many solo play features are sacrificed in multiplayer because of various reasons?
  • Fallout is supposed an immersive world, how immersive can it be if you end up lagging out, or a person you're playing with has much slower loading time between maps than you do?
  • Unless it's graphic mods, or something that is client end only, how are mods going to work? Or is that just going to be creative club mods only (Where if a player you're playing doesn't have that mod, they can see it because it's Creative Club Assets, but they can't pick it up, which would be immersive breaking or is it going to be so that you can't play mods on a multiplayer, or all players have to have those mods?) I can't see how this will work. Then you have mods that are "Cheating" as some call it, like the one that brings modern firearms to Fallout 4, or spawn all items at a workbench or whatever.
  • How does picking up consumables work? Or magazines that traditionally only spawn once in a world?

I'd be amazed if it's a better experience or not, because I can see a lot of problems. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to Co-Op Play with good friends, I'd love to have done that in Fallout 4 and New Vegas. I'm really interested in seeing how Bethesda pull this off. Their Starfield game looks like a space game, I'd also be interested in knowing more about that, too. 

I was half asleep when I made this thread.... so forgive me for not seeing your topic. But I did enjoy that Bethesda released Half Life Decay, a co-op game with 2 empowered female protagonists that fight an evil force. It' a great PS2 game and an ok addition to the franchise 

That wasn't Bethesda. That was Gearbox and Valve.

Edit: Oh you're joking about Wolfenstein Young Blood. Meh, I prefered the original and the first remake. Never played any of the others. Can't say I will be playing the next one either.

It's a free market, vote with your money. 😁

Wolfenstein 2 was boring with to much social engineering behind it. Youngblood is gonna be the same. But what's funnier is that Youngblood looks like it'll be almost exact sorts of similar to Half Life Decay. I mean, subject matter and the fact it's a girl duo co-op game just screams it. And I busted a gut at it.

Although, I would get Prey with all this new stuff coming out for it.

1 hour ago, Arno said:

Wolfenstein 2 was boring with to much social engineering behind it. Youngblood is gonna be the same.

Oh you mean this:

Which when people got outraged over it, the Developers, the MSM and Left Wing Rags played like that innocent child routine; you know where the child, behind an adults' back pushes another child into a muddy puddle and when the adult turns around they just give an innocent smile and say that they tripped and fell, routine. Except in this case they said that all the people who are pissed off at it were Nazi's who were offended because it was a Nazi killing simulator or whatever, (And "Fuck those guys"). When that isn't the issue at all. The issue is; quite clearly to the people offended, is that this is playing on the whole Donald Trump is a Nazi and everyone who supports him is a Nazi too. "Not My America" -> "Not my President", "Make America Nazi-Free Again" -> "Make America Great Again" But of course they're only talking about "Nazi's" 🙄 - Hence the innocent child routine. I remember when a Nazi was something highly specific, now it seems that it's "everyone who doesn't agree with me", or anyone with reasonable conservative views.

I'll happily play a game where you kill Nazi's or Communists, I don't care as long as the story is great and it's a great game. I didn't like Hatred, not because you killed civilians (Because you can do that in GTA all the time) but because it had a bad story. But the ad's surrounding Wolfenstein 2 was so obviously politicised with actual references to a current US President. That wouldn't have been acceptable under Obama, so why is it acceptable under Trump? Sure; you have Trump supporters who are Nazi's. But the overwhelming majority of them aren't, and I can totally see why they felt that was an attack by "yet another Liberal Cupcake" calling Trump a Nazi. I saw the reviews when it came out, and the ones that spoke about the bugs and gameplay is the reason I just voted with my money and didn't buy the game. Never played it either. It had nothing to do with the Nazi shit, or Trump. It seems like it was a Ghost Busters move; where it was shit and they knew it shit, and they just used a buzzword and demonised the critics for their shitty game, despite most of the reviews having nothing to do with that. I've got no problems with the first remake of Wolfenstein, I thought the story was pretty solid and it played great on my computer, and I finished it to the end. But after reading the reviews W2 wasn't for me. 

But that's just my opinion and observation. As a UK Citizen I don't have a horse in this race, and I'm certainly not Alt-Left or Alt-Right. 

But here's the sources of reviews:-

Or is everyone who left a negative review Nazi's now? 🙄

1 hour ago, White_Snake said:

Also, Todd stated that Fallout 76 will have no NPCs whatsoever, so that implies that all the characters in the game are real people, now I don't know how that will work, bethesda sure is making some questionable new changes  

I also distinctly remember him saying that this is somewhat something new, so we perhaps shouldn't expect it to be a Fallout 5, which is admittedly what it seemed to be when it was first announced/teased. With the wiki for the Fallout franchise stating that it was the next main series game or whatever. That clearly isn't the case, but perhaps a spin off? Who knows they may work on a Fallout 5 later that is more in line to what we're used to. Or learn to incorporate the best bits from the two branches, or something. I would love to play Fallout with close friends, but as I stated something has to give and it looks like actual interactable NPC's seems to be one of them. I'm not entirely sure how even the VATS system is going to work in Fallout 76 either, which is a core part of the game. They seem to have an itch to want to try new things; I hope this makes their games better overall. But there's going to be some teething problems, I think that's obvious and a given.

I certainly will not be breaking my no-pre order rule though; I like to see solid reviews before I make a purchase, especially after the X-Rebirth (Egosoft) fiasco, and the No Man's Sky (I don't care who the developer is) fiasco which reaffirmed my no-pre order stance. I would advise everyone else does the same, make an informed choice before buying, but that's ultimately upto that person. I can't force anyone to do that. 

Another thing I am very interested in was this:

But there's no release date, and if that was in game footage, which I kind of doubt, it's not much. Although it kind of shows the intention on continuing the TES series. I really dig the revamped music, I hope it sticks. 😀

19 hours ago, Temaelrin said:

I also distinctly remember him saying that this is somewhat something new, so we perhaps shouldn't expect it to be a Fallout 5, which is admittedly what it seemed to be when it was first announced/teased. With the wiki for the Fallout franchise stating that it was the next main series game or whatever. That clearly isn't the case, but perhaps a spin off? Who knows they may work on a Fallout 5 later that is more in line to what we're used to. Or learn to incorporate the best bits from the two branches, or something. I would love to play Fallout with close friends, but as I stated something has to give and it looks like actual interactable NPC's seems to be one of them. I'm not entirely sure how even the VATS system is going to work in Fallout 76 either, which is a core part of the game. They seem to have an itch to want to try new things; I hope this makes their games better overall. But there's going to be some teething problems, I think that's obvious and a given.

I certainly will not be breaking my no-pre order rule though; I like to see solid reviews before I make a purchase, especially after the X-Rebirth (Egosoft) fiasco, and the No Man's Sky (I don't care who the developer is) fiasco which reaffirmed my no-pre order stance. I would advise everyone else does the same, make an informed choice before buying, but that's ultimately upto that person. I can't force anyone to do that. 

Another thing I am very interested in was this:

But there's no release date, and if that was in game footage, which I kind of doubt, it's not much. Although it kind of shows the intention on continuing the TES series. I really dig the revamped music, I hope it sticks. 😀

The V.A.T.S system will not be removed, more so the engine of the V.A.T.S system will have some slight changes, you can still use V.A.T.S but In real time, so the slow time aspect of It will be removed due to the game being entirely multiplayer, though I don't know If the V.A.T.S system will be using the good old slow time when playing solo but we'll see, the game sure looks promising but I'm more hyped for TES VI since It's a solid sequel 

11 minutes ago, White_Snake said:

The V.A.T.S system will not be removed, more so the engine of the V.A.T.S system will have some slight changes, you can still use V.A.T.S but In real time, so the slow time aspect of It will be removed due to the game being entirely multiplayer, though I don't know If the V.A.T.S system will be using the good old slow time when playing solo but we'll see, the game sure looks promising but I'm more hyped for TES VI since It's a solid sequel 

That actually makes sense. And I will admit I am a little bit excited for TES too, but I am going to remain cynical until I get more solid facts and information on it.

That said; there is one thing that might be said for Fallout 76, if there are no NPC's then it's up to the players to make their own characters in the game. Which if the game allows you to have multiple "Characters" in different instances (Like how you can play as multiple 'personas' across different saves in the other Fallouts) then that opens up the opportunity to roleplay in the game. Perhaps its something we could look into, to see if that's a possibility, have an EcchiDreams 'Map' in the Fallout Game. If that's possible, I'd imagine we'd have to add a common person to Steam or something. It'd be fun if it were possible. Not sure if I'd be the good guy or the guy nuking everyone though. 🤣 

1 minute ago, Temaelrin said:

That actually makes sense. And I will admit I am a little bit excited for TES too, but I am going to remain cynical until I get more solid facts and information on it.

That said; there is one thing that might be said for Fallout 76, if there are no NPC's then it's up to the players to make their own characters in the game. Which if the game allows you to have multiple "Characters" in different instances (Like how you can play as multiple 'personas' across different saves in the other Fallouts) then that opens up the opportunity to roleplay in the game. Perhaps its something we could look into, to see if that's a possibility, have an EcchiDreams 'Map' in the Fallout Game. If that's possible, I'd imagine we'd have to add a common person to Steam or something. It'd be fun if it was possible. Not sure if I'd be the good guy or the guy nuking everyone though. 🤣 

Yep that would be lots of fun 😄 

Now with Nintendo E3 conferences! This is the only thing I was waiting for the next Fire emblem: Three houses coming on spring 2019 and Super smash bros Ultimate coming on December this year on the switch! I could blabber on and on about these two game but I just show up this video and you can get the better summarize. 

r5jHYb4.png

Apparently there is a documentary made by NoClip, for Fallout 76 that has more information:

Just watched it, and there is a little more information, that talks about the in game mechanics. From what I've seen from Oxhorn's Channel, there is a Q&A. The Q&A is extremely brief from the interviewer and not the audience, it also contains no real information. I don't remember which part in the video it was but @White_Snake - you appear to be correct, the VATS is looking to be real time. Interesting. 

Private servers looks like a no, but Co-Op servers isn't a no; they're "Cramming" single player, scalable co-op and online into one. So it might be possible for Co-Op playing. But you might be able to RP, you can make goods, food and water, ammo and guns and sell them to other players for bottle caps. Although apparently food and water is perishable, that adds a very interesting aspect to survival. 

I think someone in the documentary brought up that things like weapons, armour can be damaged or wear out, I think that means they're bringing back damaged/repairable weapons which will be amazing, because Fallout 4 lacked that without mods. There was nothing mentioned about mods though that I could see, that concerns me greatly. However they are bringing in microtransactions for Fallout 76; but it's cosmetic only. There was a mention, I think that some of these you can earn in game anyway. There will also be a mutation system; the more irradiated you are the more chance you have to mutate. There's also talk of a disease system too.

It had a lot of information in it; but you kind of have to sit through it all, and pay attention. I may have gotten a few details wrong or misrepresented their words, unintentionally though.

E3 was as cringe-filled as always. Not as bad as last year, but it was still... Pre and Post shows shouldn't be that bad. I'm glad that they kept it more streamlined and it was mostly just game announcements. 

I was super happy to see gameplay for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Even though information about the game was leaked I was glad that it was true. I like the direction they're taking it in. I can't wait to see what they'll do with a slightly more story driven single player game.  

Resident Evil 2 was better than I could have ever hoped. Even if Leon and Claire look weird in RE Engine, but they are young, so eh.

Fallout 76 looks better than 4 to me. I like the setting, and themes of the game. I dunno how I feel about always online just yet, but I'll have to try it first.

Death Stranding= Kojima just please take my money now aka the best part of Sony's show.

Kingdom Hearts 3 made me cry a little. I don't even care about the delay I'm just glad it's real and it's coming out soon.

FighterZ on the Switch is going to be great and so will Smash.

I could keep going but those were some of the games I'm looking forward to.

Also shoutouts to the Super Best Friends Play for getting the guys at Devolver and General Arcade to want to remaster Metal Wolf Chaos. Back to big Mechs and horrible dialog.

• 5 months later...

So, past @Temaelrin what was it you were saying about pre-orders?

On 12/06/2018 at 03:23, Temaelrin said:

Oh yes... Well it looks like we got some solid reviews about Fallout 76.

Thank fuck I don't pre-order anything at all anymore, because it sounds like I'd be highly fucked off with paying £49.99 (GBP) for this apparent shitshow of a game. Out of the few reviews that I have seen, this one from Skill Up really gives me the raw information I craved, I've left it below. If someone here has played Fallout 76 and you're enjoying it, then awesome! I just hope you're not suffering from a case of the Sunken Cost Fallacy. This doesn't sound at all like a game I'd want to play. But I certainly see why it's not on Steam; perhaps Steam Reviews or their Refund Policy, perhaps? 😉 

I've heard that many people have successfully gotten refunds, but that many people aren't getting refunds, and one case where they were going to get a refund, and then weren't

From Skill Up:

Now according to Bethesda Game Studios; they're on it. They're fixing most of the biggest criticisms being leveled against them, and good on them: 

So I'm thinking that I will wait a while before revisiting this and seeing if it's any good, or wait until it is much cheaper, and see what the reviews are like then. Their bug thread on Reddit is an interesting read too. Has anyone on here picked up Fallout 76? What's your take on it, I'd be interested to know. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that, Whoreo. I hope you get the refund that you're wanting. 

I've recently come across a video by Sargon of Akkad who has suggested some Fallout 76 Redesign suggestions:

So far I am in complete agreement with these ideas, although I wouldn't count on any of them being implemented. But I'd play that game.

Archived