Breaking the Pawn (Guy_Sas x Wonderlandess)

Akira yawned as she stepped into her home, dropping her keys into the dish by her door so she didn't forget them. She shut the door closed behind her to her flat as she took off her coat. She wore a long green sleeve dress with black stockings underneath, slipping off her heels as she set them on her shoe rack. She hung up her coat in her closet, doing half of her unchanging in the hall before she headed to her bedroom, already working on taking off her earrings. She had gone out formally to some elegant party for research pertaining to the crime rate. Slowly she was piecing together what was going on in the city and it was....big. 

She was sure there was some sort of "revolution" read as underground cult and she was just trying to figure out the leader before she would announce it to her boss and eventually the public. She needed to arrest the leader first that way he didn't go into hiding and continue his practice. She was so close she could practically taste it. As soon as this was done, she'll transfer over to the city her family was in since her mother heavily disapproved of the single woman being in the city all by herself with no one else. 

Kira headed for her bathroom, wiping off the make-up she was wearing before she tied her hair back and washed her face. The ponytail didn't help too much since her hair was short so it fell out a bit. She pulled up and wiped her face with a clean towel before she headed back into her bedroom. She planned on changing into her pajamas, going to bed, and then going to the office in the morning. She'll announce her thoughts of there being a cult and that she was close to finding the leader, she's kept the rest of the information to herself in case she had been wrong about the cult.

• Like 1

Knock, knock, knock.

Three knocks at the door. Charon stood on the other side, dressed in the brown uniform of a delivery man.  He had the hat pulled down, obscuring his face, as he checked his phone to see he had the right address. He had only heard about this place in a stroke of luck. One of his close agents, had happened around some woman who seemed to in a couple of the wrong places, and kept asking the wrong questions. After tracking her down, based on one bad photo his man got of her, he learned she was a police detective, and from their he could only assume that she was after him. No more assumptions though, after today, he would know what she knew, and what the police knew.

Akira began to take off her dress when she heard a knock at her door. She headed over with silent bare footsteps on her hardwood floor. It was strange because she wasn't expecting anyone. She looked through the peephole, wondering why the delivery man was at her door. She reached for her lock to unlock before thinking. Why was a delivery man at her door? She looked through her peephole again, keeping quiet so he hopefully didn't realize she was there yet. His hat was pulled low and it was quite dark, but she didn't recognize him. She knew where the uniform was from, so seeing a different person was not uncommon. What surprised her was the time. She hadn't ordered anything, and nothing would ever come this late.

Her police senses were going off and she had a bad feeling about this. She looked down through the peephole as well as possible. She didn't see a box, nor did she see something for her to sign. He should've just dropped it off and left. That's what they usually did. Kira reached up to her chain, putting it on the door though it was a little weak and only really there for appearances should she open the door with it on. She unlocked her door then, peeking through as she kept on guard though pretended to just be confused. 

"Hello? How can I help you?"

Edited by wonderlandess

"Akira? I have something for you." 

Very carefully, Charon pulled out a small package, and laid it on the ground in front of him. It appeared to be a strange device, roughly box shaped. A pad was in the middle of it, with one red LED, currently turned off, an antenna leading out of it, and several multicolored wires that ran from the panel into two large, black wrapped up masses. It didn't take much training to know what it was, a bomb, and one powerful enough to cause a fair bit damage. In his other hand, Charon, pulled out a detonator.

"This is only the first," Charon looked up at Akira, with a spark in his eyes, "I left the rest, much below us, around the foundation of this building," he looked straight into her eyes, "You can come with me, right now, quietly, and without any sign that you're in danger, or I can send this whole building crashing to the ground. What'll it be, are you willing to sacrifice yourself,and everyone in this building, just to take me out?"

She glanced down when he laid something on the floor before freezing...was that...she couldn't believe there was a bomb! She swayed a bit not because she thought about herself dying at that moment, but because she knew who her neighbors were. Families. Young ones at that. If he set this little one off, she wondered if it would impact the others as well. Her grip on her door tightened when she looked up to him, she realized what this was about almost immediately. The cult. By the way he spoke, she knew he had to be pretty high if not the leader then and there because of his attitude towards himself dying. "How many...how many bombs did you put on my building?"

Kira questioned, she needed to know how many that way she knew if he took them all off if she left with him. She closed her door quickly and took off the chain, opening it more as she looked around, making sure no one was out in the hallway. Her eyes moved to the detonator in his hand, something told her he wasn't kidding about setting this thing off. She looked up to meet his eyes, her own hazel eyes trying to figure out what he was thinking. "I'll come, just show me that you've taken away every single bomb when I leave with you" that was her only condition. Her primary purpose was to protect, no matter what. The damage he could do would be catastrophic, she knew too many people lived here all with their own lives. She would hate to be the reason why their lives were cut short. 

"Okay, detective, that sounds fair enough. There are six bombs in this building, besides this little guy here," he prodded the bomb with his foot, "one on each main support column downstairs. Pick that guy up, and carry it out of sight of anyone else here, we would hate to cause a panic, now would we? I'll take you down to my van, and get you nice and packed up for your journey. After that, I'll gather up all the bombs I placed in. I'll even show them to you, and then we can go. That's the deal detective, if you don't like it, I can only offer one alternative." 

Charon's finger tightened on the trigger, waiting for her to give him the opportunity to set it off. 

She didn't seem quite shocked or horrified by his threats, the girl's job dealt with criminals all the time though she was worried. If it had been just one bomb, she could've just jumped on it and everyone else would've been fine with the exception of her sacrifice. Now with the six other bombs, she had other things to worry about. She reached down slowly to grab the bomb so he saw her intention. She stepped back for a moment into her house just so she could put on shoes before she headed out, the guy seemed a little too trigger happy and she didn't want to test it. Kira headed downstairs and while it didn't show on her face, dread began to fill her with every step. She knew he had something in mind with her she just couldn't tell what. If he only wanted to make sure she would never tell anyone, he would've just killed her immediately. No, he wanted something from her and he needed her alive for it. 

She held the bomb in her arms carefully, she didn't want to accidentally set it off by jostling it too much or accidentally pulling or pushing something. Who knew if he had any triggers on the bomb either. "What do you want from me?" she questioned, not even looking to him as she tried to map out a way to get out of this. Perhaps after he had collected all the bombs she could figure out something then, but the way he phrased his threat earlier she knew she wouldn't be completely able-bodied.

"You'll find out soon enough, don't worry. Now, mouth shut," Charon responded, as he lead her out of the building.

He didn't lead her out the main door, but instead, out a side door, that led into a back alley, where a delivery truck was waiting. He told her to get inside first. When she did, two powerful hands came seemingly out of nowhere, and grabbed a hold of her. Before she could react a gag was shoved into her mouth. She was wrestled to the ground by a much larger man, who, with a bit of effort, managed to get her hogtied. He picked up the bomb, panting, from where it had fallen during the struggle, and looked at Charon.

"What do we do with this?"

Charon climbed into the delivery truck and squatted down to look Akira in the eyes. He lifted her head up by the cheeks. "Put it in the detective's room," he said without breaking eye contact. The large man left, and closed the door behind him. "I'm sorry detective, but I lied. I'm going to set off those bombs I set up earlier, when my friend, Jonathan, returns. However, if he doesn't I wont," he pulled another detonator out of his pocket, and placed it in front of her, "the detonator I'm holding only sets off the bombs in the basement, and this one sets off the one he has. If you want to save those people, then you need to his this button," he gestured to the red button in the center of the second detonator, "how does it feel, to hold a man's life in your hands?"

Akira stayed quiet as she headed down the steps, she turned around to face him as soon as she got in though she gasped when she felt someone grab her. She immediately started to fight, though her hesitance since she had the bomb caused her to lose in the end. Her mouth hurt from the gag being pulled too tightly as well as her wrists when she was tied. Her eyes widened when he had the goon take the bomb away, immediately attempting to lunge after as she shook her head. Her muffled protests were still loud despite the gag. 

She shook her head immediately when he told her he was going to set off the bombs, her eyes wide as she tried to squirm out. She couldn't let this happen, not because of her. She didn't want these people to die. She looked down to the new detonator, her heart thudding hard in her chest. She was a policewoman, she was supposed to protect. She wasn't a killer, it went against every part of her body. Still, if it saved the people...

She looked up to him, wondering if he was lying. How could she tell which detonator went to which bomb? He could've switched them, he could be lying, perhaps both detonators were to the six bombs at the base of the building. God help her. She kept shaking her head before she looked down to the buttons, praying that he was telling the truth. Perhaps this was a bluff and he wouldn't kill his own man. She prayed the building stayed intact and everyone survived. 

Akira used her nose to boop the red button, closing her eyes as she feared what would happen. Her heart felt like it fell into the pit of her stomach knowing someone or someones were dying because of her. 

Edited by wonderlandess

From above them, a loud bang could be heard, and the ground shook slightly. Some of the windows exploded outwards, and glass could be heard falling to the ground. Much more prominent than that though, was the sound of people screaming and a fire alarm going off. Charon looked down at her and patted her head.

"That was the first time, you've killed someone isn't it? They say you always remember the first time," he glanced up to the building, "Jonathan is dead now, and perhaps a couple others too. That wasn't a weak bomb, by any means. Certainly more than a few are injured. But, you get to sleep easy, because it was the right decision, wasn't it?" 

Charon picked her up, and placed her body in a box attached to the van. It was dark inside, and far too small for her to fit comfortably, but there was more than enough air circulation to keep her alive. Charon, made his way up to the driver seat, turned the engine on, and began to drive away, as people started to flood outside of the building. He drove for about an hour, until he stopped the van. He made his way into the back, and pulled her out of the box. 

"We're here," he said as he slung her over his shoulder. As they left, two new people in brown delivery uniforms entered the van. Charon let her see where they were, in front of an old cabin, in the middle of the woods. Behind them, the van drove away. 

Tears welled up in her eyes when she heard the bomb go off. At least she could tell by the fact she couldn't feel any heat nor was the bomb any louder that he kept his word. She looked up to the building, her heart plummeting again as her stomach knotted up. God, she prayed that her neighbors were okay. She was still a little shell-shocked when he touched her, not squirming too much in case he decided to press the other detonator. She barely fit in the box, squirming inside though she couldn't quite move. She ended up not crying only because she didn't want him to see the effect it had on her to kill someone and possibly harm others. She knew her neighbors, well and now she didn't know what state they were in....why couldn't she had just lived by herself in a normal house?

She tried to keep her mind off of the bombing and focus on other things, so she steadily started to count in her mind the time it was taking for them to drive. She got roughly around an hour, though she didn't have much else to go by nor did she know how fast he was driving. She looked up to him when he picked her up, cringing when he touched her as she looked to the van slowly driving away. She looked around, unaware of where she was. There were a few forests around her home in an hour's reach, she couldn't narrow down which one though. 

She squirmed on his shoulder, her body hurting because of how tightly the ropes were tied and the way he picked her up. She tried speaking again though it was muffled once more and she gave up soon afterward. She didn't know what he was going to do way out here to her though she knew she wasn't going to like it. Using logic, she knew he was going to question her about the basics: how did she find him, who knew, how much did she know...she just hoped he would just kill her which was the next best outcome after her being able to escape. 

Charon looked up at her and began to walk towards the house, as he did he spoke to her. 

"Do you know why, I had you do that? Because it was important, that was the first sounds of your alarm clock. You're waking up, as is everyone in that building. Think of it, being trapped in their dull lives, when suddenly, they feel the ground shake, smell the smoke, hear the screams. They're ripped out of their dull lives, into fight or flight. The adrenaline rushing through their veins, they truly became alive for just a few seconds. Some of them, won't be able to go back to their boring old lives after that, they know what it's like to have their senses on fire, to really feel something. They'll come to me, and I know this sounds like madness, but soon enough, you'll come to me too."

He opened the door and led her inside. The cabin was plain, it looked like it had electricity, not only from the lights in the ceiling, but the TV set up across from the couch, and the glimpse of the refrigerator in the kitchen. However, Akira didn't get much of a glimpse of anything on the first floor, as Charon opened a door, and led her down into the basement. He dropped her off in a room that was made of solid concrete, with just enough care to stop her from getting anything more than a scrape here or there. He removed the gag from her mouth.

"Now, I've done a lot of talking, and you're going to help address the balance. You can start by telling me how you found out about me, how much you know, and how much the police know. Those are the basics, and I bet you already have some answers prepared, so I don't expect to wait long for your response."

She stayed still when he talked, and her conclusion after he finished up was that he was absolutely nuts. The girl looked around the cabin, wondering if by chance she would ever be able to find a phone. There had to be one somewhere, the guy didn't have the car anymore and there didn't seem to be another. He had to have a way to get in contact with the outside world unless he had told his goons to pick him up or come at a certain time....or day. She wondered how much food that fridge held. She closed her eyes when he walked down the basement steps, realizing that this is where she'll most likely be kept for however long she's there.

Akira looked up to him when he immediately started to interrogate before looking away "Are you going to untie me?" she completely ignored his questions, refusing to just answer. "When are you going to kill me?" she asked, trying to pull one of her body parts out of the ropes though none would relent, her body was starting to hurt from being in this position for more than an hour. 

He looked at her for a moment, and then gave her a kick to the stomach, before he turned and walked out of the room, without saying a word. He turned the lights off, and Akira was left in total darkness. Even as he left, the only thing she could hear was the noise of her own breathing and whatever noises she made as she tried to move. Above her, Charon made himself a dinner, read a book, and went to bed. The room was soundproofed, so that she couldn't hear anything he did, and he couldn't hear her. She was left completely alone, in the darkness. A little over ten hours later, Charon returned. He turned the lights on and walked over to her. He didn't say a word, but just raised an eyebrow, wondering if ten hours of complete isolation was enough to get her to talk.

She coughed when he kicked him in the stomach, turning and rolling onto the other side as she heard his footsteps walk away. Her eyes widened when he turned off the lights and she looked around, wondering what he was going to do. It wasn't until about twenty minutes later did she realize his plan was to do absolutely nothing. The girl tried to adjust herself though the bonds were still too tight. Akira fell into an uncomfortable sleep after some hours, she couldn't tell how many. Even then, she woke up frequently due to growing pains. Her body hurt from the position. 

Akira turned and looked when she heard the footsteps, light seeping down the stairs until he turned it on. She closed her eyes momentarily since she had been in total darkness just seconds before. She looked up to him when he came before looking away again "Are you going to untie me?" the same question left her lips again. The girl didn't even make a hint that she remembered his questions from last night, which the lack of answer was the reason why she was down there for however many hours it had been. She didn't even know if it was morning or night still.

As she asked the same question, Charon responded exactly the same way. He turned, walked out the door, turned the lights off, and left her completely alone in the room again. He made himself a breakfast, watched TV, delivered some orders to his men over the phone, did some research, and many other things. He didn't leave her alone in there for one more hour, nor did he leave her alone for ten again. This time he left her alone for a full day. When he showed up again, she looked much worse for wear. Still, he didn't say anything differently, he just walked up to her, and crossed his arms. However, he wondered if she would be willing to talk now, if not he would have to change his strategy, if he left her alone like this for too long, she would die, and he needed her alive. He briefly wondered if that was her plan, to keep this up until she died. 

She coughed when he kicked him in the stomach, turning and rolling onto the other side as she heard his footsteps walk away. Her eyes widened when he turned off the lights and she looked around, wondering what he was going to do. It wasn't until about twenty minutes later did she realize his plan was to do absolutely nothing. The girl tried to adjust herself though the bonds were still too tight. Akira fell into an uncomfortable sleep after some hours, she couldn't tell how many. Even then, she woke up frequently due to growing pains. Her body hurt from the position. 

Akira turned and looked when she heard the footsteps, light seeping down the stairs until he turned it on. She closed her eyes momentarily since she had been in total darkness just seconds before. She looked up to him when he came before looking away again "Are you going to untie me?" the same question left her lips again. The girl didn't even make a hint that she remembered his questions from last night, which the lack of answer was the reason why she was down there for however many hours it had been. She didn't even know if it was morning or night still.

She looked up to him and despite the pain she felt in her muscles and how she was hungry and thirsty, her face didn't show any of her feelings. Rather, she was more so stoic and emotionless. Once again, no answers left her lips. Only a single question, different than last time, a tad different than the last one.

"What are you going to do with me?"

He smiled at her as he knelt down, "I'm going to do whatever I want, but I must admit, you are quite resilient. Most people would go mad after being left alone for as long as you have. I think you deserve some information, and perhaps a drink. The information comes first though. The bombing at your old place has made its rounds on the news, and I know all the victims of your decision. Jonathan, of course, but as he was in the hall, some girl happened to be passing by, a little Amy Rodriguez, did you know her? She was one of your neighbors, and she's dead now. There were also about a half dozen injured, but you did what had to be done right? Anyway, why don't you think about that while I get your water," he said as he stood up and left the room, leaving the light on this time.

Akira tried to back away when he knelt down though she couldn't move much. She stiffened a bit when he mentioned the victims of the bombing, and the air was knocked out of her when he named a certain name. Her eyes widened and she stayed frozen. She's been tied up in a dark, silent room for more than a day and a half, but that couldn't even begin to compare to the blow he dealt just by telling her about the aftermath of the bombing. She knew the family, she knew Amy. She could picture the little girl clear as day in her mind, just a day before. She's talked to the little girl a few times, and the little girl told her that if she couldn't become a Princess, then she wanted to be a police officer just like Akira. 

The heart-wrenching scream Akira let out rang clear through the cabin. The little girl was dead because of her, Kira had tried to save everyone, and a little girl was dead because of it. She wanted to go apologize, she needed to make it right but...how could you make that right? This was her fault, perhaps if she hadn't lived there, no not perhaps. It was a definite if she hadn't lived there the little girl would be alive. Maybe...maybe if she had clutched the bomb close to her and tackled him at the moment he pulled out the first detonator, maybe the second one would've exploded by the contact. Maybe the first detonator was only to the first bomb, maybe...all the possibilities ran through her head though she was left with one resolution in the end.

The guy upstairs was a monster and she was helpless against him at the moment. 

Charon, stopped in the middle of grabbing a pitcher of water and a towel, as a thought struck him. He realized that he had a way to strike at Akira in a way that really hurt her, and he should take advantage of it. He made his way over to the computer and started to look into the stories surrounding that little girl, Amy, that he had mentioned before. It took him a little over half an hour, but he eventually returned to her. His smile threatened to eat his face as he walked down and knelt in front of her.

"Still not ready to talk, I take it? Well, let me fill the silence then, with some interesting information. Amy, didn't just die from the explosion, no. Apparently, she was lucky enough to be far enough away so that the blast injured her, left he weakened, but didn't kill her. If it perhaps had gone off a second later, she might've been fine. However, that's not the bad part, it gets really tragic after that. You see when a bomb goes off, people are concerned about their families, and want to get out safely. No one is taking in their surroundings, no one looks down, no one sees the little girl, bleeding on the ground. Friends, neighbors, even her own parents, who thought she had already gotten out, they all ran over her, while she just needed help," Charon smiled, "isn't that horrible? The security camera apparently survived, and the footage from it ended up in some darker corners of the internet. If you really don't want to talk, then I can show it to you."

Akira looked up when he finally came back, anger in her eyes. She still refused to talk about what he wanted to know, but his information made her feel physically sick. Maybe the feeling was also from not eating/drinking as well. She looked away, refusing to answer when he threatened to show the video "untie me, haven't you ever heard of nerve damage? If you need me to do anything, there's going to come to a point that I physically can't do it anymore" she spoke, ignoring him again as best as she could. "I'll never tell what you want to know" she responded, finally referencing the questions. If he was going to kill her, all she maybe had left were a few days. She could bear with that, she thought hopefully.

She would refuse to watch the video, even if she had to just close her eyes the entire time though it's what she deserved since it was her fault "You monster, you're the one who brought the bumb. You're the reason she's dead. Don't you have any guilt?" she questioned, while she kept blaming herself, she also knew it was ultimately his doing, even if she couldn't convince her heart of that. Her stomach growled, causing her to look away. She could slowly feel herself getting to the point where the hunger is starting to hurt "...Go to....go to hell for all I care".

“Oh, I’ll think you will tell me everything I want to know, and then some. It’s just a matter of getting it out.” Charon smiled at her, “and I intend to get it out today.”

With his foot, he rolled her over into her back, and walked over by her head. He kneeled down so that her head was held in between his knees so tight, that she couldn’t even shake or turn it. He then pulled out the towel and laid it over her head, before he grabbed the pitcher of water. Slowly he started to pour it out onto the towel, and immediately he felt her start to shake, as she tried to get free. After just thirty seconds he stopped pouring the water, and lifted up the towel.

”Ready to talk, now? Or are you still thirsty? I’ve got a lot of water, if you are.”

She rolled her eyes as she braced herself for whatever he might try to do to her though she thought it was going to be an indirect tactic like leaving her alone again.  She grew concerned when he pinned down her head before she noticed the water pitcher. Confusion set over her until he covered her with the towel and her eyes widened "Don't you da-" she got cut off when she felt the water splash against her. She struggled to breathe, trying to get away though he held her tight. 

Akira was still coughing by the time he pulled the towel away, her face, half of her hair, and the neckline of her sweater had gotten wet from him. Her heart was probably beating in the triple digits because of what he did "Why don't you just kill me? I don't know what you want to ask about" she explained, lying about the second half as she tried to pull away, "Why are you doing this to me?"

As soon as she finished, as he laid the towel over her face again. He started to pour the water out again. She started to struggle again, as her brain thought she was drowning. He thought she was struggling harder this time, though it was hard to tell. As he did it this time, he spoke, mostly to himself, since there was little chance she could focus on his words in her current state.

”I wonder what’s going through that head of yours when you continue to be defiant. Do you know that you’ve lost already, and are delaying he invetiable, or do you really believe you can trick me, or keep up this wall forever. Either way, keep it up detective, it’ll just make it so much worse, when you fall.”

He ended up pouring the water for about a minute total that time, before he lifted it up and let her breathe again. He pulled the towel away, and showed her that the pitcher was only half empty, as she caught her breath. 

“I can keep doing this all day, if you really want.”