Fighting for Dominance (guy_sas x Kassandra Kain)

Pyra crawled through the forest underbrush, enduring the miserable heat as the sunlight bore down upon her proned figure. The woman brushed back her charming silver bangs, steadying her breath as she eyed her target. She camouflaged well in the woodlands, her leather kit colored to blend into the environment and allow her to approach prey while making as little noise as possible. Though the way the armor filled her shapely form may attract the gaze of her own species, she mused that monsters felt no such attraction. With a grin, she drew the recurve bow resting on her back and verified the feathered notches of her bronze tipped arrow dripping with a potent poison. 

She was hunting a particular creature today, a Manticore Whelpling. Head of a lion, a scorpion's tail, wings of a bat. A monstrous figure in all measures and a handsome bounty to go with it. Pyra gazed into the clearing, where the young creature stood chewing on the carcass of a deer. She grinned sadistically, drawing the string back of her bow and taking aim.

She only needed one shot, two at most. 

The arrow found it's mark, penetrating through the ribs of the creature. It growled in annoyance, for a moment appearing to be unfazed. However, the poison quickly took effect and very soon the creature began to sway... then fell with a loud definitive thud! The huntress giggled with glee, marching out of the brush. "Ahahaha~ What a bore! 800 gold Triumphs and all I had to do was follow the stupid thing's footprints!", she barely suppressed another snicker as she cut the scorpion tip of the Manticore and a tuft of it's golden hair, fashioning the two together into a trophy as proof of her victory.

Pyra slings the bow back, beginning her march back to town... Hours later, she finds herself at her destination, Hunter's Rest, the headquarters of her organization. The scent of meat and mead supplemented by the laughter of her peers, brings a sense of nostalgia to the huntress. The smile she had been wearing all day expanding as she greets a few among them she counts as friends, while approaching the claimant's desk to retrieve her reward. 

Edited by Kassandra Kain

Adrianus sat at the bar, a glass of heavy mead dangling in his loose grasp around the rim, as he looked through his pile of coins with his free hand. He had only just gotten back from a mission, tracking and hunting some strange creatures that were harassing a local village. Several investigations revealed not much, except that the fact that there was definitely something. Before he had shown up there were just reports of livestock missing, after it was villagers, and always on a night he was searching. Whatever, was harassing the people was clearly very stealthy, smart, and arrogant. He could work with that, it was still a long wait before he got his chance to act.

He decided to hold a public announcement that he was sure he figured out the source of the creature going after them, a werewolf. He said he would have them all gathered up in the village square, and systematically tap them all with a piece of pure silver. The corrupted person would burn at the touch, and he could then deal with them. The townsfolk seemed apprehensive at first, until he said he would personally host a feast as well, and that seemed to liven up the spirits a bit.

The next day, he watched as everyone took a generous helping of the meal he helped the cooks make. Then, he had the guards gather everyone up, as he went through with his piece of silver, touching the hands of everyone. He made sure the process went as slow as possible, cleaning off the spots where the silver would touch, and making sure he through in order of last names. No one had their skin burn at the touch, nor did he expect them too. After a little while, he saw a young girl, Lucy Duncro, grab at her father's pant leg, her other hand over her stomach.

"Daddy, I-I don't," she got out, before her hand suddenly gained another finger. 

Her father jumped back, and started to push away, as more changes started happening in quick succession. Her body started to expand, extra arms, legs, eyes, mouths, and even parts of animals grew out of every available patch of skin, even growing out of each other. The little girl quickly turned into a round, gibbering mass of different body parts. Villagers screamed, as Adrianus carefully made his way up to the thing resting his hand against the flesh. He could feel it growing cold as it took long heavy gasps through its mouth. He pulled a small vile of brown powder out of his pocket.

"Amchur," he said, "rare spice, with even rarer properties. Most notably, it causes a disruption in magical beings. For changelings, it causes them to lose their ability to hold their form. It's starts on the outside like this, but it works inside as well. Soon your own organs will lose their original shape, and you'll die," he looked at the things wide eyes, it glared at him, clearly wanting to kill him right there, but it had lost too much strength, it could barely twitch even one of its hundreds of appendages, "I'm guessing you thought you were in clear once I announced I thought it was a werewolf, didn't you? You let your guard down, and made this too easy for me."

He pulled a knife out, and sliced a good chunk of flesh out, which turned to liquid in his hands. He moved it into a small vile, and waited for the thing to die. Once it did, he started back on the long journey towards the Hunter's rest. As he left, he passed by Jesse Duncro, the girls father. He spoke softly, as Adrianus walked past. "My, girl. . ."

"She died a long time ago," Adrianus replied and moved on.

He was brought back to reality, by a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and saw one of the aides of the Master Hunters, the small group of elites that ran the rest. "Excuse me, sir Adrianus, but the master would like to talk to you." Adrianus nodded, and got up from his stool, leaving the drink and a couple of coins for the bartender. He didn't even need to see the master hunter to guess what this was about. He had heard that Isalah Silverleaf had lost use of her right arm, in a fight with a shadow dragon, leaving her no choice but to retire. That left a slot to fill, a chance for promotion for some of the best hunters. As he looked over he saw that Pyra had one of the aides talking to her as well. 

• Like 1

Pyra's grin grew wider and wider upon hearing the Aide's whispers. She had been waiting for an opportunity like this and silently celebrated Isalah's misfortune. After all, it gave her a chance to get into the big leagues! Her slightly too joyful expression immediately diminished upon locking gazes with Adrianus. Replaced by a scowl, she quickly dismisses the aide beside her with a hand gesture and begins approaching Adrianus. 

The guild hall stills, as hunters silence themselves and turn to stare. A few nudge one another while whispering, "Here we go again..." While the two's interactions have been limited, they were far from casual. The two's relationship could be considered what one may call, volatile. It would either start with Pyra gloating about a recent hunt or Adrianus saying just the right words to set her off! Despite working together in some jobs, they were like oil and water. Completely and utterly incompatible. 

Pyra rests her hands on her hips, as she comes to a stop before Adrianus. She was a good six inches shorter than the man before her, but that didn't stop her from figuratively looking down at him!

"Oh dear Adrianus~ You wouldn't happen to be thinking about anything silly like avenging Isalah, now would you?", she speaks in an almost sickeningly sweet voice, while leaning forward. "Because, you see... I happen to be planning on it myself. You've probably got some chaneglings to chase around anyways right~?" 

• Like 1

Adrianus looked down at the thorn in his side, as she blatantly revealed her plan to go after the beast that had maimed Isalah. He cleared his throat, while she spoke, and as soon as she finished, he reached forward and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Then I might have to send it a reward, as soon as you're incapacitated as well." He responded sharply, "but as for now, I'm not interested in your little power games. Go kill the dragon if you must, I'll simply stay here, and enjoy another drink, before continuing with the jobs that actually help people."

With that, he turned on his heels, and made his way back towards the chamber of the Master Hunter, he had been directed to see. Upon entering he saw a tall man, wearing about three cows worth of tanned leather, and entire mine's haul of metal in spikes adorning each end. The man had several scars running down his face, and his dark hair was just starting to grey. He almost seemed uncomfortable in his office, like he didn't know how to act when not up against some monster the size of three shacks stacked together. Master Thornridge, was his name, definitely the same kind of hunter as Pyra, annoying.

"Adrianus, glad you could make it," the older man said with a wide smile, as he gestured towards a chair, "I heard about your dealing with the changeling, good work. It's impressive to see someone take down a beast like that, without ever having to draw a weapon," there was a pause, "you don't like to draw your weapon, much do you?"

Adrianus walked forward and took the indicated seat, "not when I can help it, sir," he had a feeling he knew where the conversation was going.

"Well, that's your style, and I respect that. I like it when hunters find their own way that works the best for them. And your way certainly works well, there's no doubting that. You've gone on just as many dangerous missions as any other hunter, and with a fraction of the injuries. However, and I'm sure you know about the accident that poor master Silverleaf had gone through, and the fact that a spot among us masters has opened up. Well, to be blunt, you're a good contender for the spot, as is Pyra. In fact, many of the master's are kind of torn about it right now."

"I had guessed that," Adrianus cut in when the master paused to take a breath, "with all due respect, sir, can you please get to the point?"

The older man nodded, "alright, the point here, is that while your style works, I don't think it would work well for being a master hunter. We fight more than changelings, and freed demons. I mean, you can't take down a shadow dragon with the contents of your spice rack," he paused mid rant, "no offense, like I said it works for you. I just think everyone would be happier if you let Pyra take this slot. I'm not asking you to do anything crazy, just lay low for a couple days, to a week, enjoy those Triumphs you got, and let Pyra show off. The rest of the masters will change their mind soon enough, once Pyra has a few more impressive kills under her belt."

"I see," was all Adrianus said before leaving.

He actually had no intention of hunting that dragon, when he spoke before. He was happy to let Pyra seize all the glory and become a master hunter, like she wanted. He didn't have much interest in the position anyway. However, it wasn't that the speech had made him angry, he had known for quite some time that at least some of the masters thought of him that way. Adrianus had forgone using most conventional weapons not because he didn't like them, but because he had liked a challenge. And what that master had just done, was issue him another one. He grabbed his coins, and left the building headed straight for his house, intending fully to make a plan to kill that dragon, before Pyra could, and he wasn't against sabotage to help him ensure success.

• Love 1

Pyra growled in annoyance at Adrianus's devil may care attitude! She had approached him expecting a grand challenge or at the very least a fight. Biting her lips, she spins around with a hmph! Without bothering to meet Master Thornridge, instead she opts to join a few hunter companions gathered near the center of the hall. Tossing down a bag of Triumphs, she plops down in the white marble table beside Selphina Laellineil, an elven friend and companion of Pyra's. 

She was one of few elves whom associated with the Guild, willing to hunt down the monsters that many of her kindred opted instead to defend. She was a buxom woman, wearing a white silk robe that hardly left much to the imagination. Her long blonde hair, flowed freely down to her hips, and not a blemish nor bruise scarred her body, all wiped clean by magic aside from one, a scar running from her stomach to her left thigh. by her side sat a staff with a curve at the tip, from which a sapphire jewel hung. 

Tessa Glumbridge also sat across the pair, a human from the Western Reach, a region famous for breeding seasoned adventurers. Unlike Selfira, Tessa was very clearly a warrior type, her midriff exposed to show off it's tone. Her arms and legs were equally muscled, not to the point of being grotesque, but defined enough to warn away those expecting an easy time with her. She wore a strange combination of leather and plate that would confound any knight or soldier, as if specifically designed to look attractive while all the same protecting it's wearer. Her fair face was unfortunately marred by an ugly scar running from her forehead to her chin. Her soft ginger hair was kept at mid-length, but grown specifically to cover the scar. The two regard Pyra with a friendly expression as she begins to speak. 

"I can't believe the nerve! What is UP with that guy?!", Pyra starts while tossing a few of her hard earned Triumphs to an aide. The aide quickly scurries off, returning with a mug of mead and some cooked stag, Pyra's favorite. She begins cutting at the meat, taking out her aggression as the duo looked on. 

Selphina is the first to speak, sighing softly, "He's an oddball to be sure. One can not help but admire his commitment, though strange as it is. I think you two have gotten off on the wrong foot, you're quite alike in many ways..." 

"In. What. Regard?!", Pyra demanded spinning around to face her friend. Selfira jumps a bit, her gentle voice trailing off as Pyra stomps her feet against the wooden planks of the hall.

"You like to work alone for one. Yer set in your ways, you don't listen to advice from others, and you both never back down from a challenge... just to name a few~", a tomboyish voice cuts in playfully, as Tessa leans forward. Pyra flushes red with indignation, but Tessa merely giggles, waving it aside. "Enough about that, are you really going to hunt the Shadow Dragon? It's a league above hunting Chimeras and Manticores y'know. Elusive, smart, and hell of a deadly foe. Not to knock yer skills with a bow or anything, but poison ain't gonna do the job this time around." 

Pyra leans back in her seat, chewing thoughtfully as the two spoke to her. She certainly knew it wouldn't be an easy task, but the true weight of it all was just now beginning to hit her. Though she greatly disliked being lectured, even she had to admit this wouldn't be easy. She smiles a bit, at least reassured in Adrianus's words that he would not get involved. 

"Oh don't you worry about little old me~ I promise you this, by next sundown I'll be delivering that monster's head to this guild's doorstep!", she boldly declares before finishing her meal and taking off.  The pair left behind exchange worried glances, wondering what Pyra was plotting. Making the trip to her lodge, the determined huntress quietly devises a plan to lure the dragon out... 

Edited by Kassandra Kain
  • Like 1

Adrianus thought his way through about a dozen different plans within the first couple hours, of returning back to his house. The first couple specifically attempted to find a way to take down the Shadow Dragon with just the contents of his spice rack, if only to prove he could. However, he did find something that would be useful, a bottle of nuts known simply as the horse-chestnut. Simple plants that could cause paralysis, something that would be helpful to make sure Pyra didn't get in his way. He placed the bottle aside, and then continued to think on his plan. 

After quite a lot of deliberation, he finally came up with something he liked, though it was far more risky, and perhaps stupid, then anything he had ever done before. Before even starting to set it up, he knew one small mistake would easily lead to his death. At the same time though, he was sure it had potential, and that he had time to go over all the details enough to ensure his safety. Besides, he had always been a bit of a risk taker, if he hadn't been, then he wouldn't have been a hunter.

Adrianus didn't bother getting a wink of sleep that night, choosing instead to work on his plan. For the first time in a few months, if not a year, he worked on proper rune crafting. He started off far sloppier then he he initially expected, and nearly singed off his eyebrows at the start of his experiments. However as the night dragged on, he began to refine and change his system as he started to get new ideas. As the sun broke the horizon, he finally had his new plan ready. He took off his old jacket, and put on a newer looking one, all of the runes he needed were stitched on the inside. He almost left right then and there, but realized he had yet to work on the horse-chestnut.

Very quickly, and easily, he grabbed some gloves and a couple of the horse-chestnuts. He ground them up into a fine powder, and with the help of a couple other agents, turned that into a thick paste, that should paralyze someone if gotten into the body. How long it lasted was always a bit of a gamble, based on a million smaller factors, but Adrianus guessed it would last a little under twenty minutes, more than enough time for his plan to work. He grabbed a couple long needles and dipped their tips into the paralyzing agent, before he carefully hid them inside the lining of his new coat. With everything set up, he stepped outside, and decided to head back to the Hunter's Rest, intending to listen on any gossip for if Pyra left yet.