The Pilgrimage ((Mysthero X PetitChaton))

Collin Adregos sat quietly in the pews of the temple. The strong smell of incense and candles hung heavily in the air along the faint hint of berry tarts being baked across the street in the quarter. He was here today despite the protests from his family and tutors who believed he would better serve the faith and the kingdom by preparing for his final trials to join the Holy Order.

Yes the trials would be difficult and would require weeks of preparation to pass, but today was a special day for a dear friend of his. Celestia had come of age today! It was a bittersweet celebration as it meant that she was finally a woman and could set out on her pilgrimage to spread the faith beyond the kingdom. However it would also mean the end to years of sneaking away from his taskmasters to bring her sweetberry tarts, or steal her away to go swimming at the lake. No more picnics in the forests, and no more reading books to one another. This may very well be the last day he would get a chance to say goodbye to her. He had resided within himself that no force on Earth or Hell would prevent him from seeing her off today. He had to make sure that no matter where she was, she knew she had a friend in the kingdom who cared nothing about her special blood and only that she was his dearest of friends.

He wasn't exactly well hidden in the pews either. Wearing the training attire of the order he stuck out like a sore thumb amid the crowd of worshipers. His brown hair was cut short to stay out of his deep blue eyes. A small scar across his bottom lip was the only evidence of the beating he took while training as a member of the order. His leather chest guard still strapped to his tunic, marred with oil stains, tears, and folds from constant practiced combat. His belt had a sword holder strap that was empty from his leaving his training blade at the barracks. His boots, despite trying to clean them for the temple, still had caked on mud and dirt from yesterday's labors. Finally two iron shin guards completed the ensemble of a knight in training sitting amongst Noble family members in their dresses or expensive finery that made him even more out of place. Truly it was his family name that allowed him to even come through the doors in spite of his unsightly appearance.

As the choir finished their rsounding chorus signaling that the ceremony was about to begin, Collin looked on at the pulpit with baited breath, eager to see Celestia brought out by his holiness for him to lay eyes on her one last time. That was when the anxiety of the situation finally struck! Would she see him in the crowd today!? Would she know that he snuck off to see her to show how much he cares? Would even have the chance to speak to him before being hurried off on her pilgrimage? A million similar questions raced through his mind in a matter of seconds as his heart raced... Would this truly be the last time he ever sees her?

• Love 1

The choir of maidens lifted their voices in joyous song and worship, their melodic tones echoing throuh the rafters of the church. A listing soprano, her voice full of pride for having been chosen, rang out above the harmony. A crescendo...cadence...silence...applause. The sound of so many faithful souls gathered in one place was simply divine. It was a pity Celestia was too distracted to appreciate it. As she stood in the hallway behind behind the alter, her mind and her heart were elsewhere. 

Everything will be different now. Oh, divine Luxien, please hear my prayer. Let him say yes...

Her hands were clasped tightly to her chest, but her prayer was interrupted by the booking voice of  Father Melrose.

"Lords and Ladies! Brothers and Sisters! Praise be to Luxien on this fine and holy as Sister Celestia comes of age and pledges herself to spreading His light across the realms."

There was a mixed reception to his words. Although this was to be a joyous occasion and holy ceremony, the townspeople did not have much love for Celestia. There were rumors and, even as the high priest spoke, there were rumors. "That hair" or "those eyes" and, worst of all "demon spawn." These were all words the young maiden never grew accustomed to hearing, but she was a maiden no more.

Stealing her heart and her faith, she emerged from the hallway to make her way around all four walls of the great Hall, symbolizing her pilgrimage of all the realms. Her silver hair flowed behind her as her simple white robes trailed the floor. She dropped golden petals in her wake, petals that matchedd the golden flecks in her lavender eyes. Slowly she walked, feeling the eyes of every member of the church on her made her way around the pews. Halfway through, she began to feel the weight of those stares. The townspeople would be happy when she left, the ugly orphan that no one wanted, and not a single soul would miss her. She began to despair, ready to run out the doors rather than continue with this humiliation. 

Then she saw him. Collin, her friend and confidant, the only person outside the church who was not cruel to her.  The darkness that creeped I her heart faded away and was replaced with thoughts of his kindness, his deep blue eyes, and all the time they had spent together in their youth. He would miss her, she was certain of that...but he would not have to, if he would only accept her request.

Please say yes...

Their eyes met for a moment and she gave him her usual smile, one mixed with years of sadness and neverending kindess. She nearly tripped over her robes from the distraction, catching herself just in time gracefully kneel before the alter. Finally, the long walk was over and it was time to accept her calling, even if her face was flushed with embarrassment.

Father Melrose did not miss the passing glance and fleeting smile. He certainly did not miss trip and nearly fall. He cleared his throat to stifle a chuckle and began the rites.

"Sister Celestia Temple, do you accept your duty as Envoy of the Light and swear to spread his teachings, helping those in need at whatever cost and putting faith above all else?"

"I do, Father Melrose."

"And what vow do you make this day to show discipline and honor His teachings?"

"I vow to remain pure in body and soul so that His light may always overflow from me and into this world." 

Father Melrose smiled with pride and places a golden shawl with an intricate sun shaped pattern over her shoulders.

"May your faith touch the hearts of others and may you return to us, Sister Celestia Temple the Pure."

With that new weight on her shoulders, Celestia continued to kneel before the alter, in a pile of golden petals, waiting to receive the blessings of those who attended the ceremony...even if they were few. There was only one she needed...  

• Love 1

"Luxien be praised." He said in cadence with the other worshipers, but he could feel the emptiness in their voices as many were glad to see the 'half-breed' leave their kingdom. Many stood in the pews, some to offer prayer, others to simply leave. Collin however would join the rather short line of followers who would kneel beside her to pray for her safe journey. One by one, he watched as those before him would kneel beside her and fold their hands, touch her shoulder gently and be on their way. One rather vile woman had the audacity to say 'good riddance' to Sister Celestia before standing to leave.

Collin had many virtues however restraint and patience were not exactly chief among them. As the woman stuck her nose in the air to pass him on her way to leave the temple, He found himself unable to hold back! First he stuck his foot out to trip the bitter hag sending her to floor. This led to a few gasps of some onlookers and Collin's face sharply twisted into faux horror but he couldn't hide the delight in his voice. "Madam! I am so sorry! How clumsy of me!" He quickly came to the woman's aid, wrapping his arms around her almost vilely as he lifted her to her feet far too rough for a noble or a gentleman. This was on purpose too however as he smeared mud and oil all over the woman's gown. His boot firmly placed on the hem of her skirt as she was lifted, causing a great loud rip to be heard as it was effectively torn under his weight. Collin went on to say. "This damned armor has made me a complete fool of myself!"

"A fool is right! Look at my dress you have ruined it!" She screeched at him exasperated over the grotesque assault she had just endured.

"Madam, I offer my most humble apologies. As a member of the Holy Order I will see to the repair of your garments immediately." His false concern for the woman's garments did not go entirely unnoticed by those who knew of his rebellious behavior in the past, however this was a bit much even for him. To add more fuel to her flames of anger, he reached out and grasped the woman's hands in his own rubbing off dirt and oil onto her palms and wrists. "There now, no worse for wear are we?" He smiled at the woman before brushing a particularly dirty thumb across her cheek as a means of apology. The woman was on the verge of screaming but inside the holy temple she could barely contain herself to merely leave! Holding her shredded him in her hands as she desperately tried to wipe the dirt off off her hands with her handkerchief.

"I'll see you flogged for this!"

Collin had a big smile on his face showing how proud he was of himself before returning to the line, despite the stares he was receiving from onlookers and the disapproving glare from the Father Melrose. He quickly stifled his smile and tried to desperately return to his position of respect for sister Celestia. When it was finally his turn, he knelt down beside her and offered his blessing and prayer. Once finished however, he spoke softly for her to hear. "I would be lying if I said I was happy to see you leave. It won't be half as fun getting into trouble without you around." Though his jest aside, there was a heavy weight of sadness in his voice as he lingered at her side for much longer than those before him. Unwilling to leave her just yet.

• Haha 1

Celestia winced at the woman's words, but could hardly do more than bury them deep inside her along with the other cutting remarks she has had to endure over the years. But then Collin came to her rescue...in his way. Who could begrudge the agast look on her face and dropped jaw when she saw him trip the woman? What's more, he ruined her finery and practically assulated her! And yet, her heart fluttered with joy that her friend would go to such lengths to defend her. 

She could feel Father Melrose's disapproval and the stiffness of his posture at her side, so she composed herself and bowed her head, as if deep in prayer. Then she felt Collin's warmth beside her.

"It won't be half as fun getting into trouble without you around," he said.

"And half my trouble is caused by your fun," she whispered back, smirking at him. "You'll never be a holy knight if you continue to be have so...my Lord. Perhaps the town is better off without us both." 

She looked up at him then, pleading in her eyes. "That is to say, if you would honor me with your sword as I share His holy light, Lord Adregos?" 

Her voice was full of uncertainty as she awaited his answer. This was all she'd thought of for weeks, this moment, and she'd put it off as long as she could. It would be all she could bare to have him say 'no', or worse...What if he completed rejected their friendship and denied any connection she was so certain they shared? Her hands trembled as the possibility became more and more real in her mind.  

• Love 1

Wait, did she just offer to take him as her protector!? Was that even possible? He wasn't even a Holy Knight yet! He was certain that only a holy knight could be given the status of her protector. A knight who had taken vows of fealty, loyalty, valor, and... even celibacy. None of which he had taken yet as the final trials were still some time away! But here she was offering him the position he had secretly worked so hard to obtain until last month when he resided to know that he would be too late to be given such a role. Was it still allowed even though he was only a knight in training? He broke his gaze from the alter to gaze on her as he felt warmth in his chest that she would trust him with such an honor and duty. Sure it would mean that he would leave the kingdom with her, but who gives a damn! It was the closest thing to freedom he had ever imagined! A wide world to explore side by side with the only person who actually understood him.

He almost blurted out his response right away if not for the sake of keeping the appearance of noble refinement. He had to take a deep breath to calm himself so he could respond with humility. "Sister Celestia, I'm deeply honored you would consider me for this role." He turned to her and bowed his head respectfully but in truth, it was all he could manage to not embrace her in his excitement at the prospect of visiting the outside world with her.

"I am not yet a Holy Knight, and have still yet to have taken my vows, is it possible for me to still offer you my protection? Because if so, I would consider it my highest honor and duty to protect you as you journey throughout the realm."

• Love 1

His excitement was palpable. She could feel his energy yet again turn her worries away. She wanted to take his hands in hers and tell him that anything was possible if they prayed and dreamed it would be so. More than that, she wanted to escape this place and travel the world with him by her side, friends forever and ever. 

"Thank you, Lord Adrego, but we both know you need not humble yourself. You are a holy knight in all but name. Your skills are known all through the kingdom. And how could it be anyone else?" She said, looking up at him with all the tenderness in her pure heart.

"But, if it will alleviate any misgivings, please know that I have spoken with Father Melrose and he has given his approval. With my...condition...he is concerned that another may not fulfill their duties to the fullest for someone they believe to be...half demon" she whispered the last. "I would not be responsible for someone breaking their vows and I would be unable to perform my duties without someone I trust by my side. We have the churches blessing, Co-Lord Adregos. I am the one who is honored"

Her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she looked up at him. Such a burden had been lifted. Finally, leaving this place meant more than just escaping accusations. She would be free and she would be with the one person who truly cared for her. 

She glanced behind her and saw that everyone else had left the church. Even Father Melrose had returned to his quarters. Even still, she could not risk disrespecting the noble house by embracing her childhood friend. Instead, she reached for his hand and gently squeezed, smiling even as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"I am overjoyed, Collin. Truly. Meet me outside the church doors at dawn tomorrow and I shall know it is not a dream, my friend."  

• Love 1

That tender moment where they held hands brought such warmth to his heart that he wanted it to last forever but there was much to do and prepare for. Not to mention he had to bring a holy decree before the Knight Commander. He brought her hand to his lips and placed a gentle kiss on her wrist, which was very bold to say the least considering her position, before standing and leaving her to prepare for her journey so he could also make preparations for his own.

Even with a decree from Father Melrose, the Knight Commander was not pleased with sending a Knight who has yet to take his vows on such a journey. Stressing the importance of the final trials and how they steeled a young man's heart against the corruption of demons and worldly pleasures. His family also greatly protested against his new appointment. As the eldest son of a noble house he was to be used in the Holy Order for the family to gain prestige and position with the other houses. But in the end, none could object to a decree from the temple.

The Knight Commander would not bestow on Collin the armaments of the order, but since he would go out into the world representing the faith and the other knights, he was given men-at-arms status which granted him a chest plate, leg guards, leathers, and a cloak with a symbol of the order. Perfect for traveling in and oddly matching his level of refinement, or lack there of. He would be granted a mule to carry their provisions and weapons befitting a man-at-arms.

The following morning both the Holy Knights and the Temple had given him enough provisions to start their journey with enough gold to cover an emergency expense or two. He awaited her as requested outside of the temple doors, checking the weight on the mule before giving him a pat on the neck to start bonding with the animal for their journey together. The chest plate was remarkably uncomfortable, not quite his size which made him slightly cautious of his chin hitting the top of it after some practice movements. Beyond that however, he had no complaints and felt nothing but excitement to be underway.

After Collin exited the church, Celestia continued to kneel for quite some time. She prayed for their safety and health on the upcoming long journey. She prayed for her brothers and sisters of the church while she was away. Father Melrose was included in her prayers, for all his patience over the years. She prayed to have the strength to fulfill her duties to the fullest and keep her vow of purity out there in this strange and exciting world. And, like every night, she prayed with all her heart to one day find the family that would not have her, so she could offer forgiveness and finally free her heart of that sadness.

She went to her small room, roughly the size of a generous closet, outfitted with nothing more than a cot, stool, writing desk, and candle. She had no need to pack. Her few belongings were always stored in an old satchel she was given when she was very young. A black cloak, her white robes, the nightgown she now wore, a pendant with the holy symbol, simple shoes, and now the shawl she received this night to designate her station. The only other new addition was a loaf of bread and canteen of water. 

Despite how unfit she was to travel the world, nothing  would abate her excitement. It took all her willpower to humble herself and not run around the small room screaming with delight. 

He said yes! He said yes! He said yes!

Her prayer had been answered. Maybe her others would be too. And that kiss upon her wrist...never had he done such a thing before. Her cheeks burned just to think about the simple gesture, never mind hat there may be many more moemnts like that in the future. It was all too much for Celestia. The gods smiled on her today and she wanted to rejoice. 

So, needless to say, there was little sleep to be had. She tossed and turned, perhaps even dreamed. But before the morning crow could sing his waking song, Celestia was bounding down through the door and down the steps of the temple to start the next chapter in her life. And there he was to meet her.

"Collin!"

Without thinking, she leaped from the last and surprised him with a warm embrace. She wrapped her arms around his torso and laid her face against the cool surface of his armor. She held onto him for a moment, before embarrassment set in, then quickly released him. There was hardly a soul around to see, so she did not bother to kneel, but she turned her to face the church, as if saying a final farewell, to hide her flushed cheeks.

"A new adventures starts today, Collin. Our adventure. Can you believe it?"

She turned to face him, a beaming smile on her face and the rising sun reflected in her strange eyes.

• Love 1

'Our Adventure' it was such a simple thing to say but it carried so weight on the reality of them finally being free from the boundaries of the kingdom. He wanted to return the embrace she had given him but she pulled away too quickly for him to commit to it. His smile didn't falter as she spoke of their adventure but he was made aware of some of the challenges they faced. The land beyond the kingdom was rumored to be lawless and filled with chaos.

He was still determined to continue however and as they left the city gates he placed his boot into the soil beneath them and took a deep breath through his nose in preparation of what was to come next. He placed his gloved hand on Celestia's shoulder to both give her reassurance to himself and her as they started on their way down the road. It took a short walk for them to be beyond sight of the guards along the city walls. Once their independence had been secured and they knew they were no longer being watched by judging eyes, he reached into his satchel and withdrew a gift he could no longer wait to give her. Sure it wasn't exactly a necessary provision but it was a symbol of the first thing he ever gave her as children. A freshly baked berry tart was retrieved from his satchel and he extended it to her with that same smile on his face.

"With a little luck, we'll be in Arillia by nightfall which means we can stay at the inn and won't have to break out the camping gear tonight." He suggested the plan to her as he went over it in his mind, although it did bring up a couple of questions that he had yet to ask himself. Would they be sharing a room? He was her guardian and protector but she was still entitled to privacy. Another question came to mind as well, they only had one tent! His eyes went mildly wide at realization that they may be sleeping... close together.

Her eyes brightened at the sight if the treat and she broke it in half, as she always did, giving the larger piece to Collin.

"Thank you, Collin. You know how much I love the tarts from the bakery. It will be some time before we taste them again. But now we can try tarts from all over!"

She exclaimed excitedly, clearly daydreaming about all the fresh new things they'll see, smell, taste, and hear on their journey.

"I've always wanted to see Arillia. This is a wise first stop, as it is the next closest city. We must stop at their Church before procurring a room at the inn. It is only right to pay our respects and they may offer us hospitality."

Her smile faltered a bit. The temple she grew up in took her in because only Father Melrose could see that she had celestial blood, not demon. The rest of the purchase followed strictly out of love for Father Melrose...not faith or concern for Celestia. Would others recognize her true heritage? Or would they spurn her and brand her a demon like so many others? Could she simply tell them her true nature or would that cause more trouble for her and for Collin?

"Collin," she called suddenly, "you don't believe what the townspeople day about me, do you? You believe me and Father Melrose, right? I'm afraid of what other people will say or think when they see my hair and eyes for the first time. Perhaps...perhaps I should cover myself..."

It was far too soon in their journey to become discouraged, but she was young and afraid and in need of guidance. 

• Love 1

He stopped for a second and looked at her and couldn't help but erupt in a small bit of laughter at her concern for such pettiness. After a few seconds of unrestrained laughter he managed to stifle it and bring a measure of control to himself. "I'm sorry." He apologized as he regained control of himself.

"All the chances you had to corrupt me, destroy me or cause harm in all the years I have known you and you have always shown nothing but kindness to me and those around you. Even those who show you nothing but cruelty. How can I believe anything other than what father Melrose says of you?" He folded his arms gently as he leaned back onto his heel. "I always liked your hair, and your have the prettiest eyes."

He took the reins of the mule and started walking with her once again. "Regardless, we have a holy decree from the temple and father Melrose. Whatever their personal doubts, our pilgrimage is ordained. Know that whatever challenges face us, I will be at your side."

His compliments caught her off guard and stumbled across some acorns on the path. She quickly caught herself before falling and pretended to straighten some wrinkles in her robes. 

"Maybe I have corrupted you! That lady surely would not have tripped without your...assistance," she smirked, "gods, give me the gracefulness I need to stay upright on this journey, lest I be aided by this clumsy knight and have my robes turned to ruin," she proclaimed dramatically before giving him a wing.

"Perhaps you are right, my dear friend. Or perhaps the darkness just has not manifested yet. Regardless, it is cruel that I should have celestial blood and be treated so. And yet, I have faith that one day my time shall come. One day, I shall be lifted up to be by His side, the heavenly father I have prayed to nightly. If I must prove myself first by spreading His light across the realms, then I shall do so with nothing but love and devotion in my heart."

She continued walking, absentmindedly petting the mule and stealing glances at Collin.

He likes my hair! And he thinks my eyes are the prettiest!

She twirled her silver hair between her fingers. It was long and straight, soft to touch, but she'd never appreciated it until now. And her eyes... she'd always loathed her eyes. No one in the kingdom had lavender eyes, not even a smilar shade of blue. And the way the light reflected on the gold flecks made them seem as if they were glowing. But Collin...dear Collin thought they were the prettiest.

Celestia smiled to herself. "You are right, my Lord Adregos. I am in your very capable hands. I suppose I can allow myself to be excited," she giggled and, reassured, her smiled returned. 

• Love 1

His duty was to be her sword and shield. Her first and last line of defense against the tide of darkness that corrupted the world. You could argue that such a purpose was better suited for a brigade of holy knights. But the pilgrimage was clear, one to spread the faith, the other to guard it. 

Part of him was concerned for the oversharing of his feelings regarding her appearance. He was worried about the possibility that it came across as flirting at best and listing at worst. But he kept on the path with his Ward and faithful mule in tow. Her words regarding the the woman at the temple and her own lack desire to remain upright brought back a cheerful smile. "Her boddace seemed rather tight on her, especially around the middle. I merely wanted to give her seamstress a chance to tailor the dress to better fit the hag, I mean lady."

He returned the wink he gave before continuing he train of thought, unable to stop himself against his better judgment. "A woman of your calliber of beauty, even torn asunder rags would look beautiful on you." Damn it all Collin, settle down! Not even a full league from the city and you allow your mouth to run.

He closed his eyes in a brief instant of cursing his eagerness bitterly. Granted this could be in part to him having not undergone the final trials. He called in his ability of restraint and dicipline under question before shaking his head softly. "Do you know which way you wished to go after Arillia?"

Celestia hid her face at his comments as a range of emotions came over her. "Someone has become bold since we left the kingdom," she teased.

She never dreamed she would be aableto be so care free. She knew she was on a holy mission and should would one day return, but she felt like a bird freed from her cage. She could run, skip, bathe in a lake, sleep under the stars, and see the world. Maybe she would even figure her family. There was so much hope in her heart.

"To be honest...I have not given it much thought." She shrugged her petite shoulders and then linked arms with her friend. "I suppose we'll just go wherever Luxien takes us," she beamed up at Collin with so much excitement in her eyes.

"We've been walking for some time. Could we take a short break for some food and water? I'm sure our poor mule could use a break too, don't you boy?" She asked the mule sweetly, tenderly patting its head.

She couldn't believe they'd been walking for so long already. The weather was beautiful, the air fresh and warm with the sun high in the sky. It was truly a blessed day for travel. 

He did want to see if they could put a few more miles behind them but he had to take into account that she had no doubt been this far outside the city before! She would obviously want to savor the moment and not rush from destination to destination. He looked over his shoulder to try and confirm how far they had traveled before looking back to her and smiled with a nod.

After a rather short distance more he found a small clearing off the trail. Taking his Ward and mule to the spot where they could rest together. It also gave him an excuse to remove the damned chest plate that obviously didn't fit. After undoing the straps beneath the pauldrons he lifted the platemail off his body and set it down in the dirt.

Already the newfound freedom seemed to revitalize him as the weight and clunkiness of the ill fitted armor had been removed. Leaving only the leathers and tunic beneath. "Reminds me of our picnics when we snuck out of the city." He commented before putting the mule on the neck and looking around.

She quickly let go of his arm, turning her back to him as she helped unpack their snack. Perhaps she overstepped. Maybe he was less pleased with them traveling together than she thought...

She kneeled on the ground and tucked her legs and robes underneather her. After blessing the food, she passed some bread and cheese to Collin.

"Yes, I suppose it does," she said, somewhat half heartedly.

Then suddenly, "Collin! Is it alright for us to speak as freely as we do? The people have always given us strange looks when seen together and...our picnics were always in secret. I don't think you're ashamed of me...but, I would be devasted I caused  trouble for you. Out here, no one knows us. We can be whoever we want to be! What I want to be...is your very special friend..."

She finished her speech, cheeks crimson with embarrassment and excitement, but she never broke eye contact. Her lilac eyes burrowed deep into his, as she made her request for the very first time.

• Love 1

He took the bread and held it quietly in his hand as he listened to her bold confession. Or it would have been bold had it not been for the fact that he was feeling the same way for quite some time. "I hope I never made you feel as if I was ashamed to be seen with you!" His eyes widened in concern at the prospect that she could very well have thought he treated her as some sort of secret to be hidden away for fear of judgement or retribution. 

"Celeste." He began as she finished speaking. "All those times I stole you away, met in secret. Those times where I climbed to your window instead of using the door just to ask how the day found you. It wasn't to hide you." He smiled and shook his head before reaching out and taking her hand in his own, brushing the back of her hand with his thumb affectionately as he felt free enough to show such level of affection to her so openly. "It was to hide myself. I was a Holy Knight in training, and you, a sister. The last thing I wanted was for someone to tell father Melrose that I, erm.." He paused for a moment as he tried to find the correct wording. "Someone to accuse you of losing your purity to me. Most of the knights in training, they go out into the villages to experience bodily pleasures before taking their vows. I would blame myself if someone thought I had done such a thing with you and ruined your vows."

He shook his head softly before reaching out to her and wrapping one arm gently around her waist while his other curled around her shoulders to pull her in for a warm embrace. "We are free to be who we want now. I'm not Lord Adregos to you, Celeste... I'm only Collin, and nothing would make me happier than for us to be real friends! No pretense, no titles, just us."

• Love 1

"My goodness, Collin!" she exclaimed, hearing him speak of such lude things. "I...I suppose...yes, they may have thought that WE..." she couldn't even finish the sentence...but it certainly didn't stop her from finishing the thought.

For the first time, Celestia imagined Collin strong hands caressing her skin  touching her in a way he never has. His lips touching hers. His arms wrapping around her, bodies pressed together as he lsays her down.

Then his arms were actually around her and she was awoken from her daydream. She instinctively wrapped her arms around his waist, but her chest heaved with...something she'd never felt before. If only she could stay in his arms like this for a bit longer.

"This is... lovely, being like this. With you, I don't have to be Sister Celestia. I am just Celeste." She nuzzled against his chest, feeling warm and safe and cared for. "How could I ever think you might have been ashamed of me? Will you forgive me?"

She looked up at him then, smiling sweetly at her friend and feeling truly free.

• Love 1

He held their embrace for perhaps too long that would be considered appropriate for friends. His eyes slid closed as he took in her scent and he found it difficult to imagine the warmth and comfort he was feeling at this very moment. Perhaps comfort wasn't strong enough a word, neither contentment, perhaps the closest he could come to describe it as was joy. As if joy was some sort of blanket you could wrap around yourself. His fingers outstretched around her back just to spread the sensation of touching Celeste before he awoke from this blissful feeling. If given the choice, he would spend the rest of the day holding her like this but... perhaps that was more than what friends should do.

He was very slow in pulling away, not out of want but perhaps anxiety over deeper feelings than mere friendship. He cleared his throat and didn't even notice that his hands remained on her waist just above her hips as he responded to their shared feelings. "Nothing to forgive Celeste, nothing at all." He sat back down, but this time much closer to her as he finally pulled his hands away to return to the bread he was given a moment ago. He bit into it and looked around their surroundings, but at the same time. He placed his hand over hers in continued affection.

• Love 1

Full of laughter and a true sense of freedom, the pair finished their meal and continued on their journey to Arillia. By the time they reached the city gate, it was just after sundown, as Collin predicted. Celeste and the mule were exhausted, not used to such a long day of travel. Especially Celestee, who had never left the temple for longer than an hour.

As hey approached the gates, the city guards eyed them warely, paying particular attention to Celestia's silver hair, which shined in the full moon light. She was used to such attention, but these were strangers and she was not protected by the church. She was frightened, as the large pair of men looked over in full plate maille, staves poised for attack.

"Halt!" The one on the left proclaimed in a booking voice. "State your purpose!"

Celestia quickly hid behind Collin, more afraid than she'd ever been.

"I...I am Celestia Temple, sister of the Luxien Church from the neighboring kingdom. I am pilgriming and Arillia is our first stop. Might we find sanctuary with these walls?" She bowed her head, partially out of respect, but mostly from being so intensely nervous.

"Papers?" The same guard asked, while the other kept his eyes trained on Collin. Celeste thought she saw movement on top of the wall and cowered further being Collin, this time clenching a fist tightly full of his tunic.

"Collin.." her voice trembled, "our orders...could you show him?" 

• Love 1

It was a little strange, he had to admit. Before when he visited cities and towns there used to be an escort who would perform this duty. Someone to remind the guards to not question their betters and give safe harbor and passage.

Collin had to actually remind himself that today that would be his duty and honor. He reached into his satchel to retrieve the documents in question, and show them to the gate guard. "Twenty..."

"What?" The other guardsman responded.

"Twenty lashing with an iron rod. Tis the usual punishment for threatening a holy sister." Collin looked back and forth between the guardsman. "An additional twentyfor interfering with the sacred duties of a holy sister. Followed by a night in the stocks for barring entry for a Knight of the holy order."

The guardsman reviewed the notice before returning it to Collin in mild but not well hidden frustration, largely due to the not very subtle threat from Collin. "We are oboying orders."

"And so far we. This doesn't have to be an issue." He placed the decree back in his satchel. "Which way is the temple?"  After being told the direction, he placed his hand on the small of Celeste's back to guide her to their destination.

• Love 1

Celestia was extremely impressed with the way that Collin handled those guards. It reassured her that she was safe in his care, though she still watched the guards carefully as they passed through the gates.

At just after sundown, the city was in a strange state of quiet and bustle. Most of the shops were closed for the day, with wooden signs hanging in Windows as items waited to be sold on the morrow. There were lights on in the homes they passed as families sat peacefully for supper. Then every so often, as they walked down the main road though the city, a tavern was bustling with boisterous music and laughter. 

As a maiden, Celeste often wondered what happened in a tavern. Father Melrose always said a maiden should not be seen in a tavern full of ale and sin. But if it was full of sin, was that not exactly where she aught to go? Perhaps there were lost souls in need of her aid?

But the local church was the first stop. It was customary to pay respects wherever there was an established temple. The temple in this city was in the center near the counsel hall. All of the buildings towered and easy was easy to spot the chapel as they approached.

"Let us pay our respects, Collin. After...I would like to visit tavern." She blurted it out quickly before losing her nerve, knowing that suggesting such a think was not very lady-like.

"Father Melrose always said it was full of sin, so a tavern is he perfect first stop. Wouldn't you agree?"

Too embarrassed to wait for his reply, she rushed ahead into the temple, walking too briskly to the alter to kneel and pray.

Please guide me in this endeavor and give me strength to aid at least one lost soul this night.

She shit up from her kneeling position, clearly excited, and spoke a little too loudly in the quiet church, "Well! Shall we then?"

Someone shushed her from the shadows, making her blush and apologize softly.

• Love 1

Collin did not kneel in the temple as Celeste did. Merely watched in respectful silence. It wasn't until this very moment where there wasn't a required protocol that he realized the struggles he had with hi Faith.

Paying respect to Luxien was always a routine. A part of the day that you just had grown accustomed to. When Celeste knelt down and offered her prayers, he allowed himself to think thoughts that would be closely considered blasphemous. What had Luxien ever provided for him? Born with a title that prevented him from being allowed to marry for love. A beautiful friend that over time he had grown fond for, but was destined to serve the church forever in purity! Offering him the chance to follow her to the ends of the world so he could finally understand loneliness by always having his desires just beyond his reach? Collin's fist clenched as these thoughts and others made him come to a realization that the good they served was cruel with a twisted sense of humor.

Those thoughts were interrupted however when Celeste announced loudly she was ready to depart to the tavern. Honestly after the breif crisis of faith, Collin felt he could use a drink. One to calm his nerves and bring his mind to peace wouldn't hurt right?

When they entered the tavern it was not at all unexpected from what Collin imagined. The place was bustling and full with music. The townspeople had crowded the tables and bar for the with pints of ale served by the working women of the tavern. The building itself was dimly lit with a few candles around the support beams and a fireplace opposite of the bar.

It took a little patience but he guided Celeste to a surprisingly empty table and sat her down. His hands were placed on both her shoulders as he tried to calculate the risks of leaving her alone for a moment before running a hand through her hair and making his way to the bar to order some food and two ales.

• Love 1

As Collin led her through the boistrous tavern, Celeste tried to soak in every sight, sound, and smell. Her lilac eyes widened in surprise and awe at the scantally clad maidens. Their garments seems so comfortable but far, far too revealing. So much flesh! And they seemed to enjoy the eyes of the men on them, as they leaned over tables and shared lustfilled words. One man was so bold as to pull one of the maidens into his lap, making Celestia gasp and pull her cloak even tighter around her.

Then there was the sounds. Someone was aying a lively tune on a lute while another sang joyously of stale bread moldy Mead. She didn't quite understand how such things could bring joy to he listeners, but she found herself enjoying the tune. She watched the same man and maiden from before take the floor and begin a spirited, but provocative dance. She was...envious. she couldn't understand why she should envy the paid, but with Collin's hand on her shoulder...she couldn't help but wonder if they should ever dance together one day. 

And then there was the scent. She'd never smelled such a combination beforee, but recognized aome of the aromas. Sweat, yeast, meat...and something she couldn't place. It was invigorating!

The excitement got the better of her and she found herself wandering the floor once Collin left her, against her better judgement.

"Excuse me, have you found the light? Pardon me, good sir, but have you heard of the Light Bringer, Luxien?"

A holy sister in such a place at such a time had already attracted curious stares...but her naivety attracted some unwanted attention as well.

"Sist'r, I could sure use some savin'!" One gruff looking man near the fireplace called out to her. Two other men were with him at the table, drinking and rolling dice.

"Oh! You'll hear about Luxien? He is a mighty and merciful good, who loves all his children. He will certainly hear your pr---"

Her words were cut off and she cried out sharply in surprise, as the man grabbed her around the waist and pulled her into his lap.

"Yet my good luck charm!" He sputtered, drunkingly, ignoring Celestia as she struggled to break free of his grasp.  

"Collin!"

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

"No, stronger." Collin was pleading with the bartender as they had gone over spirits of choice behind the counter. It wasn't so much that Collin had built a tolerance for strong drink but a sudden onset of a crisis of faith and acknowledgment for deeper feelings about desires he was forbidden to express could easily drive a man to make impromptu and ill fated choices of desperation to quiet unwanted thoughts. He could only imagine how the rest of this journey would go if these feelings and stirred conflicts within him grew over time. What if he started to look at Celestia and became overwhelmed with lust!? No, a drink, a drink will calm the nerves and a good night's sleep to avert the crisis of faith. While the drinks were being poured, the knight looked up at the ceiling as if to an absent father. "You mind telling me what your plan is? Because we're all very confused down here."

"Collin!"

His name being called grabbed his attention and he turned away from the bar too see Celestia being held against her will by a drunkard who was emboldened with intoxicated bravery that clearly clouded his senses. Overall it could have been much worse in a place like this, but if that was true, why was there an onset of fire in Collin's chest? He could feel the anger swell within him and his fists clenched shut as his face twisted into one of seething hate at the scene. No, this won't stand! No one will touch his ward like that! Collin walked away from the bartender but was almost immediately stopped as a small hand was placed on his chest firmly to prevent his momentum.

"Hey handsome." One of the barmaids announced herself as she adjusted position to place herself in front of Collin. "A knight of the Holy Order, you have the insignia but you're not the mark? Have you taken your vows yet?"

"No, I haven't, please excuse me." He tried to politely move around the woman who deftly moved with him, this time placing both her hands on his shoulders as she tilted her head to the side to allow some locks of her golden hair to move away from her face.

"So you're here to sow your oats then? Enjoy the worldly pleasures before dedicating yourself to your god? I can help your sir knight... for a few coppers, I could have you praising my name in all your prayers."

Under different circumstances, her case would have been a very strong one! One he may have considered had it not been for Celestia desperately needing him right now! Collin took a step back and brought his hands to her wrists. "Thank you... really... but I am not here for that." He pushed past her finally and started to push his way through the crowd.

"You don't know what you're missing honey."

It was the last thing he heard behind him as his hands returned to their clenched fists of anger. He was going to free her from this drunk ruffian even if it meant showing a side he never had to expose Celestia to! Though he was delayed and had a great deal of effort to push through the crowded tavern. He arrived at the table and his awareness allowed him to scan the other patrons at the table before falling directly on the one who held his love. "I'm only going to state this once, and I'll use small words for the sake of your compromised understanding... Let-Her-Go."