Dark EcchiTheme

Dark EcchiTheme?  

33 Dreamers have voted

1. 1. Would you like the option/choice of a dark EcchiTheme? (Please select how you feel on this subject)

• OMG! Yes please!
    • Actually, now that you mention it... Yes.
    • Meh.
    • Nah, not really.
    • Absolutely not, no. This theme is awesome enough.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Community Administrator

Every now and then I get a message asking for a Night Time mode or a Dark EcchiTheme for the site. But these requests usually come in like from one person, once a year.

I wanted to keep EcchiDreams a one theme site that lets you choose what kind of main colours you want (Via the paintbrush). There are several reasons for this:

• A lot of people use different colours when posting, particularly roleplayers. This text is perfectly visible on the normal EcchiTheme, but I can guarantee you that it won't be visible at all on the Dark one (And "This text is perfectly visible" is actually written in a different dark colour per word), so what might be good for you, might not be for everyone else. But then again; this will be very viable, on the dark theme. But no so much on the normal one.
  • It is less of a pain in the arse when updating the site: Although this is less true nowadays. Before when we had multiple themes, it used to take 1-2 hours to put in all of our customisations.
  • It's a bit of a tech support nightmare: Because the layout of something might be right for the light theme, but less so for the dark, or visa-versa.
  • Last time we had a dark theme only 4% of people used it at it's peak... But that was well over 5 years ago... Things have changed since then... But so too has technology, now you have "Blue Light Filtering Modes".

This is not a "We're going to implement it." Nor is it is a promise that we most certainly will be adding this feature, but more of a "I want to see what kind of demand there is, and what the community's thoughts are on the subject.

So please let me hear your voices. ๐Ÿ™‚

As someone with Irlen Syndrome, I would really appreciateย it if a "nighttime" mode was implemented. However, if it is too much of a pain in the ass for you to put into the site then I will just keep my brightness on lowest possible setting on my laptop.ย 

Thank you for your continued hardwork! โค๏ธ

• Senior Staff

I would love a dark theme! I use the dark themes for YouTube and Twitter and I tend to prefer darker colors when choosing color schemes for websites. They're always much easier on the eyes, especially in the dark. Even with blue-light filtering modes on, I find particularly bright websites to hurt my eyes at first whenever I look at them early in the morning or late at night.ย 

I think maybe a black background with a blue secondary would be really nice for this site. I don't know much about the technicalย complications of alternative themes, but as long as there is a default, recommended skin, I don't think you should worry too much about trivial limitations such as which colors would not be visible on which themes. Worst case scenario, people may have to highlight text to read it in the dark theme every once in a while.

If we added a dark theme, all I know is that I would definitely use it, unless I feel that the theme clashes too much with the logo. That's a major reason I haven't changed the colors of the site, aside from the default colors growing on me. I believe I've even suggested the possibility of being able to change the color of the logo, or even just making it transparent so that it doesn't stand out so much on certain colors.

'kay, are the leaders in collaborative eye care more reliable of a source for ya? jus' sayin'. but yeah according to more reading I've done on the subject this crap was debunked in the 80s and outright rejected in the 90s. (source: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/irlen-syndrome/)

excuse me for being skeptical in this crap. ๐Ÿ™„ seems like nowadays there's a syndrome for everyone and if there isn't, just make one up. it's the internet so who cares! XD I am highly skeptical of people who say they have something online nowerdays because 9 times out of 10 its self diagnosed bollocks, and thats even if they werent out right lying in the first place.

anyway I think the dark theme is a good idea and whilst I wont exactly rave about it.......but I think as long as it is an option......thats ok with me.

p.s. yes, fuck Wikipedia. I apologise that I used that as a source.

p.s.s oh and dont mind me~~ I have Provocative Cunt Syndrome. XDD

ย 

Edited by Whoreo
added p.s.s

Wow; the response has been pretty overwhelming so far. Thank you for everyone who's made their voices heard.

So I have some good news; I've started trailing out a Beta for this Dark Theme, and it's only available to staff at the moment. Once all the bugs are ironed out, I will present the theme for all Dreamersย (Not just Premium Dreamers, @Whoreo) to be able to use. Although you have to be logged in to be able to use it. Here is a screenshot to prove what I am saying:

DarkThemeBeta.jpg

The background picture will most certainly be different, in the final release and there maybe a choice of background images, or just one background. This is something we're still working on, what you see here might not be the final "Product" as it were, but it's mostly done already.

Only a few days and as I said in the previous post an overwhelming response...

I'm pleased to report that the new Dark Theme is online and ready to be used by everyone who is logged in (Guests will only see the default EcchiTheme). To change the theme just go to the bottom of the page and press "Theme" then select "Dark EcchiTheme"

image.png