Will they or Won’t they?

Estelle reclined in her seat, lifting her cup to her lips and taking a long sip of her latte. She was waiting on Max, they usually met up here after work. Coffee meets Bagel was a coffeehouse right next to their apartment complex. There was no better way to wind down after a long day than great coffee and bagels. Knowing his favorite, Stella ordered it for him and she waited patiently for him to arrive. She had quite the tale to share, seeing as she had just landed a big project at her job. She was so excited and Max was the first person she wanted to tell. 

She kicked off her heels, thinking no one would notice her in their usual spot. It was a secluded corner of the shop, the very same corner she first met Max. Estelle smiled to herself as she thought about the day they met. She’d been carrying a lot of stuff, her portfolio and supplies while also juggling an espresso. Much to her chagrin, she fell, quite literally at his feet. Max was so....kind, despite her ruining his shoes and she remembered how her heart sped up when the handsome man offered to help. 

Nothing came of it though. Sure, she and Max ended up being friends, but there were times when she yearned for so much more.

@Xeno

Edited by Harmony Frost

It was another day after work, Max hurried himself to the cafe eager to meet Estelle, shots of anxiety ran through him as he thought he was getting late, shuffling his bag around him and quickly swinging his hand through his hair, he would always keep a deodorant with him and quickly spray before he met up with Estelle, she practically became a routine of his life and it always was just as exciting as it was the first time when they met in the same cafe. Maybe it was luck? Or destiny? Whatever it may be Max was happy he met her. Sometimes he would find himself lost in thoughts of her but would always try and go back to his work at hand. 

He nervously gripped the door handle and he noticed her heels in the usual cubby corner of the café, his brain was imprinted with her habits and would always remember them, he eventually went further and saw Estelle from behind sitting where they usually do with a small parcel next to her and Max eagerly but also hesitating marches towards her and finds the courage to call her out "Hey Estelle! I'm back!" and finds a seat infront of her, smiling warmly towards her. 

@Harmony Frost

• Like 1

“Your favorite,” she said passing his drink and bagel over to him. Estelle smiled brightly as he sat, his own smile seemingly warmed her heart directly. “I have big news,” she shared, sitting up and putting down her phone. “But I’ll give you a chance to get settled in first, you look beat,” Stella observed her brow scrunching on concern. Sometimes she thought he worked too hard, but then again the same could likely be said about her. After all, her “big news” had nothing to do with her personally. She wasn’t getting married or anything special like that. No this was about a project that might lead to a promotion. But besides Max, work was really all she had and she didn’t really have Max either. “Anyway,” Stella moved on, once she was sure her best friend was fine, “My boss just gave me the chance of a life time, I’m in charge of the next ad campaign and let me tell you, if we hook them, our company will make a lot of money. And they’ll just have to give me a promotion then!” She announced excitedly, nearly spilling her latte in the process. “Can you believe it Max?”

"Woah woah, the latte, be careful! Your as clumsy as always Estelle" this threw Max back to a nostalgia trip when he first met Estelle when she tripped and ruined his shoes, Max could still remember how their eyes locked and he immediately saw galaxies in her eyes, he knew that she was the one for him but, they were stuck at this block but snapping back to reality. 

"I'm so proud and happy for you! This is really big news, I wondered why you were in such a gleeful mood today and you didn't have to buy me bagels but on this occasion i will accept it!" Max was quite truly blown away by how talented she was even if she was clumsy at times but Max felt more concerned and worried than just happy, something zoomed across his mind, he looked visibly anxious by the news and he finds the urge to ask her "So umm.. does this mean you'll be alot more busy from now on?" Max knew deep down he's gonna miss coming back to her everyday since she was really all he had after work. 

• Like 1

Estelle moved her further away, embarrassed by her own clumsiness. This was truly the worst thing about her. Her clutzy behavior had ruined many dates in the past, and the only man who brushed it off somewhat was Max. Although sometimes she wondered if he was getting tired of her antics. She noticed his mood changed and she was tempted to reach out to soothe him. “Yes, I’ll be busy? But I’ll definitely make time you. I don’t think I could function without this place. Although we might need to start getting this coffee to go , that way I can work and spend time with you,” she smiled warmly. “Now please, tell me what’s new in your life?”

Her smile was everything Max wanted, every time when he felt defeated and drained, all he needed was her, her presence was divine, everything from head to toe was gifted to her, even her clumsiness "Sure that sounds great, we'll have the coffee on the go but I was thin- ah never mind." Max stopped himself, he didn't want to ruin what he already had, he didn't want to bite more than he could chew so he kept his idea to himself "My day was exhausting, I barely made it here in time but I feel better already, this job is getting boring by the day." he never willingly wanted to work here, he just had eyes for Estelle and wouldn't mind working here, only so he could see her everyday after work, Max scratches his arms a little in anxiety and tries tear away his sight from hers to not even give subtle clues, he felt the shivers sprint through his spine and the goosebumps and butterflies just by her sitting there. 

With a tilt of her head, Estelle examined Max carefully. Sure, he’s looked tired and stressed before but never like this. Frowning, Stella reached for her heels and slipped them on. “You are coming with me,” She insisted, gathering her belongings. “You look like you need something stronger than coffee, am I right?” She asked, meeting his gaze. “But don’t worry, I’ve got booze at home and we can really wind down. And maybe, just maybe, we can brainstorm something else for you to do so you can quit that awful job.”

Max thought about it for long and hard, should he go and accept the offer or refuse it, he took longer than usual packing and cleaning things up with rather a slower pace to buy himself time to think, would it be fine for him to drink with her? What if he accidently spitted the truth? He let out a little sigh and followed "Thanks, give me a sec" he got up with his stuff and decided to walk just behind her and not close to her, his footsteps were with the rythm of his heartbeats, fast short steps "I really appreciate it Estelle thank you"

He caught himself fantasising of how it would feel her hand lace onto his, just to hold it tight and never let go, only if she knew how strong the fire was within him that only kept fuelling by her. Every second spent with her only made it burn brighter and in nostalgic fashion, Max tripped as he forgot the pace he was walking at, and his heartbeat only getting faster and he thought to himself "Ugh why am I so darn clumsy and shy around ppl, and its even worse when its her i loose all sense of what's going on." 

“What are friends for?” Estelle quipped, smirking in his direction. “Besides, you’ve been there for me countless times. This is the least I could do.” She waited for him to gather his things, her own packages already in her hands. Max seemed a bit out of it, and that was a cause of great concern to Ms. Rayne. He was normally much more collected than this, but today he seemed....off. Even the way he was walking. Those quick, shuffling steps. Stella wondered if he was perhaps keeping something from her. 

The walk all was pretty short. Ecchi Apartments was rather close to the coffeehouse after all which Estelle was grateful for. She let Max into her apartment quickly, kicking off her heels almost as soon as she entered. “I’ll get us some glasses, have a seat, make yourself at home.” She called out, setting down her things and heading towards her kitchen. “And please, tell me what’s really going on, I’ve never seen you this upset.”

@Xeno

Edited by Harmony Frost

Max shuffled his shoes around after entering, even confused to the point where he wasn't sure where he'd place his shoes, he finally set it away and walked in and sat on her couch, kept his belongings next to him and loosened himself up a little more. 

"I don't know what has been lately happening to me Estelle if I'm completely honest with you" Max said with a lying undertone since he exactly knew what had been bothering him but he kept it to himself, earlier back at the café he thought that he could probably move in or have her move in to his apartment and would make her food and do the chores for a little while till her ad campaign was done, but he decided not to say it. His eyes were all gloomy and dark, cheeks pale, hands lifeless, but still tried to break away a smile in all of this, he mustered up his remaining strength to sit up to get the glass from her, kept it beside him in his hands, with very long breaks taking short sips. 

He was in her house, this, this is what it would feel like coming home to a wife like this... But all she was to him was just a friend. 

@Harmony Frost

Edited by Xeno

Estelle frowned, moving closer to him. “Well you look a bit....mmm....worse for wear. Like something is bothering you. I promise they work you too hard.” She tsked, taking a long sip from her glass before sitting up on her knees and reaching for his shoulders. “You....my dear friend, need a massage,” she insisted, nudging him forward so she could wedge herself between the cushions and his back.  Max seemed pretty lifeless, lacking any spark of life and even his regular mellow appearance was off kilter. The man before her now was not like her friend. She began to rub his shoulders, hoping her actions didn’t betray her feelings for him. Friends could offer massages couldn’t they? And besides she was truly concerned about him, not trying to make a pass on him. “Have you been taking care of yourself? Eating right? All that junk?”

@Xeno

Edited by Harmony Frost

Max shrugged a little, adjusting himself and letting her massage but he was second guessing his feelings for her, is he friend zoned yet? Is she doing this cuz of friendships or does she want more than this, he resisted the urge to look up to her as she kept on massaging "Yea yea I have been taking care of myself" again Max replied with a lying undertone knowing all well that he overworks himself always after meeting up in the café when he goes back home and getting little to no sleep, the only meal he ever had properly was lunch. 

Out of nowhere as if Max's hand instinctively moved and reached out behind his shoulder for Estelle's soft and comforting hand, placing his hand on top of her hand "Estelle its fine, you don't need to" Max suddenly just realised how it felt to hold her hand, even if it wasn't the palm, he felt something so strong he never felt before. "Can we go back to talking about the ad campaign maybe we can think of some ideas of what to do, yknow two minds are greater than one" Max huffed in an effort to move on from talking about him any longer. 

@Harmony Frost

Edited by Xeno

She knew he was lying, based on his color alone, but it was clear he didn’t feel like discussing it. Stella’s heart ached for him and she wished that he valued her enough to tell her the truth, but obviously best friends or not, he didn’t want to share. Sighing, she continued to massage his shoulders, gasping when Max’s hand suddenly reached up to still her actions. Apparently her touch wasn’t welcome either. She tried to ignore the sad twist of her heart at his rejection.”O-Oh okay,” she murmured, moving away. 

Once she was was back in her original spot on the couch, she topped off her glass of wine and took another long sip. “So...back to the ad. It’s for a brand new hotel resort chain. They just built it. It’s in the Bahamas. Anyway, I’m supposed to come up with the vision for the place. I actually have to visit there in a few weeks in order to get a feel of the place,” Estelle explained, her face brightening suddenly. “Hey! I’m allowed to bring one friend with me, do you think you could take off work? Can you imagine? All expense paid trip to the Bahamas! That’s just the thing you need Max. A vacation.”

@Xeno

Edited by Harmony Frost

Max himself shook a little, did he do the wrong thing by reaching out to her? And he thought to himself "MAX YOU IDIOT, SHE MUST THINK THAT YOU ARE PUTTING HER DOWN" Max let his head down a little but pulled himself up and heard what she had to say 

"Oh you want me to come...? Sure. I'll ask my boss for leave if I can but I hope I don't get fired" Max replied with a bit of rejuvenated energy and reciprocated a little excitement to hear her offer, but Max still was thinking of what he did by reaching out to her. He raised his arms to touch and comfort her close to the shoulder but immediately retreated thinking he might confess his feelings indirectly for her "Hey Estelle, I really think I should get going home, you have more important stuff to do and also rest yourself, we'll talk later tomorrow okay? If you want you can give me a call in the morning or meet up at the café again, and I'll ask my boss for leave." Max wanted to leave not because he was getting bored but felt like a burden on her, like a little immature teen who just spent the night out drinking and partying too much and the poor mother having to take care of the kid. Deep down he didn't want it to end but he was growing weary of his feelings and didn't want to mess up his shot at this. 

@Harmony Frost

Edited by Xeno

Why wouldn’t she want him to come? He was literally her best friend, besides any other friends she might have invited were all either, too busy, married, or just someone she wouldn’t want to spend a week with alone. Max though, she knew that they would have fun. And after seeing how wore out he looked, she was determined to help in some way. Maybe he would find some pretty island girl or a flirty tourist to rut around with. Although deep down she’d been hoping for that woman to be her. But the way he was reacting today had Estelle second guessing herself. Was she not his type?

Her thoughts were interrupted by his saying he had to leave. “Oh, going so soon?” She murmured, hoping her disappointment didn’t show too prominently on her face. “I suppose I do have a lot of work to do. I was just going to heat up some leftover lasagna. I could pack you some to take back to your place. I know you haven’t been eating,” she countered, smirking to lighten the blow. She was chastising him, but only because she cared. “Matter of fact, wait right there,” Stella ordered, running to her fridge. She scooped out a portion of her lasagna into a container and forced him to take it. “Here, I just made it yesterday so it’s pretty fresh. Take care of yourself Max. I’ll meet you at the coffeehouse tomorrow ,Okay?”

@Xeno

Max took the box and thanked with her a smile and he thought to give a hug but he stopped himself "What if i mess up trying to hug her? But what else way can i say thanks? Isn't it what friends do right? Hug each other? Especially best friends? Why not just get it done. It may be just the thing she needs." Max kept the container and approached to Estelle, sweat pouring down his neck but he found the courage and gently raised his arms and hugged her, wrapping her lightly within his embrace and buried his head into her shoulder "Thanks alot Estelle... I really needed this.. You are an amazing friend" Max didn't want to hold the hug for too long and come out as a creep so he tore away from her, took his things and the container, slipped his shoes back on and left rather quick to not face her and give little to no room for her to reply, Max couldn't face her immediately and needed to calm down. 

Max opened the door to his apartment, threw his shoes next to the rack, threw down his bag and took the container of lasagna and went to the kitchen, he put it in the microwave for about 2 mins and decided to slip into something more comfortable, he removed his jeans and shirt and wore a pajama and roamed around his house in a vest, cleaning the place up, he took the lasagna out and took a plate and a spoon, Max went to the diner tabletop setting it there and slowly started to eat it, not realising it was piping hot and burnt his tongue lightly "Ouch!! Ah ah hot hot" fanning his tongue with his hand, he then took small spoonfuls and blowing on it to cool it down and kept eating, and halfway through he started tinkering with the spoon fiddling it around, and with his hand on his chin. He thought of just what could happen on the vacation, maybe they might become something more than friends? Or.. She might fall for some buff dude there. Overthinking this Max slowly fell asleep sitting on the tabletop with a half eaten plate of lasagna. 

@Harmony Frost

Edited by Xeno

His hug more than made up for how awkward and...off things have been today. Estelle was sad, she felt like she had done something wrong. But maybe he was really having a bad day. At least he took her lasagna. She hoped that this vacation would be exactly what the doctor ordered. She loved Max. As a friend; although she was certain it was in other ways too. She doubted that even this vacation would change that. Max wasn’t attracted to her; he couldn’t be, otherwise He would’ve made a move by now right? But then again, he was s private sort of fellow, so maybe he wasn’t ready for a relationship. Perhaps this friendship was all he needed. Estelle shook her head. 

That couldn’t be it.

She could have sworn there was a passionate man there, lurking under the surface. Maybe she could unleash it in the Bahamas? Stella thought of this as she fell asleep, plotting ways to make advances on him. Or deciding if that was even a good idea. The next morning she got dressed in a form fitting red skirt and a cream colored blouse. She threw on her heels and grabbed her portfolio before leaving her apartment. She couldn’t wait to brainstorm with her team and get started on her project. Hopefully Max was having a better morning too. 

@Xeno

Max's eyes got scorched by the morning rays, forgetting to close the curtains, he stretched and woke up and scratched his head. He jumped into the shower quickly and wore a pale red shirt and some tight jeans and made his hair, used some clay and saw the plate of lasagna still leftover and decided to finish it and never realised how good it was till now so that being his breakfast he took all his important belongings and few extra clothes in a rather neat and medium size bag to have minimal luggage and put on his Ray Bans shades on, got his leather watch and slipped in some rather formal looking shoes, he could have dressed better but fell a bit short due to his laziness and called in to his boss asking him for a leave to visit his parents abroad, lying to him, he got the leave and came out of his apartment door to be greeted by a rather gorgeous and eye catching sight, beautiful heels, a crimson skirt and looked up to see the woman infront of him, and all that made him do was leave him in awe and his jaw dropping and smiling, happy knowing the next few days he'd spend it with her and maybe even find his opening to ask her out. "Good morning Estelle" - he thought of complementing and he did but it was inaudible "Yo-you look great" Max stuttered a little. Estelle filled with energy, ready to go "sigh... such an ambitious and generous lady, and being friends with me, she's out of my league. Look at her, she's like a super model" 

@Harmony Frost

“Why thank you,” Estelle grinned, pleased that Ac actually acknowledged her efforts. Most of the time he didn’t really comment on her appearance except that time she had lipstick on her teeth. She winced at the memory. “You look good too. Very casual. I would’ve went that route but I have a meeting when we land,” she explained as they traveled through the airport. She was so excited for this trip. Even if she was working, part of her job was to enjoy herself and she wanted to see if anything could develop between them. 

The flight was blissfully short and when they landed, Stella bashfully lifted her head from Max’s shoulder. She couldn’t believe she used him as a pillow; she just hoped she didn’t drool! “Okay Max, so the thing is, we have to share a room. The other rooms aren’t available yet, I hope that’s okay?” She asked as the entered the taxi taking them to the resort. “And I have a meeting with the owners as soon as we check in, but I should be done in time for dinner.... I hope you don’t mind being alone for a few hours. It’s just today. Tomorrow we’ll have all day to hang out,” Stella promised.

@Xeno

Edited by Harmony Frost

Max enjoyed the whole trip throughout accompanying her, it's the last thing he could ever ask for, no maybe he can ask for one last thing and that would be to his but he still didn't think it was the right time, and he quite didn't know how good it was to have Estelle rest her head on his shoulder, he had completely forgot that they were even on an airplane and was staring at her the whole time. 

They landed and was told about the suite "Yea sure Estelle. I can share a room" Max thought of asking if they had to share the same bed as well.... but waited instead till they arrived to the suite. Max decided to see if he could try and make dinner while he was alone so he had  quick glance around to see the nearby shops while they were on the taxi "Hey Estelle, uhh will there be room service in the hotel or can we make things by ourself if we wanted to?" 

@Harmony Frost

Edited by Xeno

Estelle relaxed when Max said he was okay with sharing a room. She didn’t want for there to be a problem right at the start of their vacation. She wanted him to relax, not to be stressed out even more. When he asked about room service she arched her brow, “Well yeah there’s room service. But this is a resort do they have restaurants in the hotel. Free of course,” she replied, grinning in excitement. “But our suite should have a small kitchen... but really you should relax okay Max? That’s partly why I brought you here, remember?” She teased. She reached over and pat his hand gently. Estelle wished she could hold it, but she knew he’d question that. They arrived to the lobby and as soon as she told them who she was, they started getting preferential treatment. Stella turned to Max and winked, “Aren’t you glad you’re with me?” She whispered, trying and failing to suppress a giggle. When they arrived to the room her heart stopped. One bed. Crap. “Oh Max, I’m sorry! I thought at least there were two beds. I can call down and see if they can speed up on the rooms....? But we’ll have to share tonight at least. Do you mind?” She asked, biting her lip worriedly. 

@Xeno

"Oh here we go.... Fuck just what i was fearing, there's only one bed." Max thought to himself, he was about to panic but tried to keep it in, he was trying to find his words but it would crawl back down his throat and couldn't spit it out, but he spoke "Y-yea its fine its fine yea, we'll manage" but could he have managed a night literally in bed with the lady he liked? No not liked, loved. 

Max kept his stuff on the sides in a small area so no one would trip over and made himself acquainted to the suite and Max went up to Estelle just before she was about to leave for the meeting "I believe in you, you'll do great and it'll be a success, I bet! If this whole thing works out just as plan, pizzas on me when we get home and you can't do a thing to stop me!" Max chuckled and said to her. 

As she left, Max found himself surrounded by boredom and didn't know what to do, he opened up his bag and found his usual notebook he carries around and started to draw while on the bed, thinking as if he was Picasso or something but was drawing simple stick figurine of him and Estelle holding hands, and saying stupid shit, his usual hobbies were actually poetry and cooking for the most part, it was no surprise that the other pages were filled with words all portraying how Max felt for her and if this got in the wrong hsnds it could mess up everything. Max wrote a few lines and so on and was not so bored but still was, sometimes took his phone out to take stupid selfies and sometimes the view from the window, later as time passed he felt a little hot and decided to remove his shirt but put it back on before she came back, he got an audiobook and sat down at the sofa with his earbuds and was listening to it and couldn't hear a thing. 

@Harmony Frost

Edited by Xeno

She was sure that Max was less than pleased to be sharing a bed with her. He probably had high hopes of taking a girl back to their room, but those hopes were now squashed. Estelle felt horrible. She would have to see about getting separate rooms after her meeting. One that she was going to be late for if she didn’t hurry! She was rushing to the door when Max stopped her and offered some words of encouragement. Sometimes he could be so sweet she just wanted to kiss him. “Trust me, I won’t fight you on that! You know how much I love pizza,” she laughed, waving as she left. 

The meeting went over well. They were confident in her abilities to find the right vision for their resort and they expected a preview of her finished product by the end of her trip. The rest of the days she had freedom to do as she pleased, all expenses paid of course. Estelle was full of excitement when she came back from her meeting and she grinned when she spotted Max relaxing on the couch. He looked better already. “My meeting went great!” She exclaimed, hopping into his lap, as she hugged him tightly. She even kissed his cheek, “Thanks for your support . I felt so confident walking into that interview! Now, let’s head to dinner ok? I’m starving.”

@Xeno

Edited by Harmony Frost

Max didn't realise when she had entered and almost giving a heart attack when she jumped into his lap, he wasn't even wearing a shirt at the time and had completely forgotten about it and was so deeply invested in his audiobook, and as she hugged him Max didn't know what to do and froze in place and just let it happen, he was surprised that Estelle couldn't feel his heartbeat because this was the fastest it had ever beaten and to put the icing on the cake the kiss just made Max lose himself for a while "DID SHE JUST KISS ME???? A SHY AND LAZY GUY LIKE ME?? I SWEAR I WAS NEVER POPULAR IN MY SCHOOL DAYS BUT OH MY GOD" Max wished he could return the kiss but preferably to her lips and not her cheeks but instead hugged her back as well, Max tried to hide his face while hugging her because he well knew his face was completely red.

"Yes please! I'm starving lets get dinner! I'm so proud of you Estelle, uhh one thing though, while you were gone i was thinking of nicknames to call you so how about like... Stella? I took the inspiration from InterStellar" it meant situated between the stars because that's what her eyes reminded Max of but of course he didn't tell her that but just asked in hopes to see it she agreed. 

@Harmony Frost (wdym no no i tagged u, just don't notice the edit 😤

Edited by Xeno

(You forgot to tag me XD )

At first she didn’t even realize that he was shirtless, but as Max’s strong arms curled around her curvy frame, Estelle was highly aware. God he was so hot. And completely unassuming which was even hotter to Estelle. If only he would turn that heat in her direction... when he said he thought of her while she was gone; her heart thudded in her chest. Here he was in a foreign country, on a beach no less, surrounded by new and exciting sights and sounds and more importantly people and yet, he was thinking about her. “I like Stella a lot. Especially your reason behind it. Interstellar. Sounds cool. Didn’t they make a movie called that?” She wondered aloud. Interstellar, how nerdy. If she ever had a doubt about her residency in the friend zone, she needed to look no further. You didn’t give someone you consider fuckable a nickname like that. But she was resigned to that spot. Grinning, she slid her hand along his shoulder, “Now grab a shirt and walk with me to dinner, Max,” she bossed  him around good naturedly. 

@Xeno