Ultra Calamity: A Pokemon Ultra Moon Nuzlocke - Episode 16: Rainbow Rocket?

I still hate myself for choosing to do postgame.  Also, like Episode 15, due to the nature of how this and all of Episode 15 are written, I'm posting them here instead of the same place as the other 14 episodes...because yeah.  The run is finished so the remaining episodes will be released over time because I chose to do postgame.  Everything after this is going back to the place I posted the first 14 episodes.

A day had passed since Ruby aided the Ultra Recon Squad in stopping the rampaging Stakataka in Poni Grove.  Luckily, any news of the incident was kept to a minimum, but it was likely due to the upcoming press conference at the Aether Paradise.  Ever since the Necrozma incident at the Alter of the Moone, Ruby had been hearing people asking questions and wondering what had taken place.  At least to Ruby, it didn't mean much since her duties as Champion had priority.

Stepping out of her room early in the morning, she noticed her mom standing in front of the boxes that still hasn't unpacked.

"All right!  I've put it off long enough!  Now that Ruby has become the Champion..." Ruby's mom said, turning around and looking down at her Meowth.

'Is she actually going to do something about those boxes?' Ruby wondered, deciding to keep quiet for the moment.

"Meowth!  This is it!  We're really, definitely going to put away these boxes today!" she continued until the doorbell rang.

"Oh, now who could that be?" she wondered only for someone to come running inside unannounced.

"Sophocles?  What are you doing here?" Ruby asked, making her way over to the door.

"Ruby...  I...I...You've got to..." Sophocles tried to say while he caught his breath.

"What huge, random task likely involving unknown beings from another dimension do I have to do this time?" Ruby asked.

"What are you talking about?" Sophocles questioned.

"It's a long story..." Ruby mumbled.

"Oh, are you one of Ruby's friends?  I'm her mom.  It's so nice to meet you!" Ruby's mom said, getting herself involved in the conversation.  Sophocles jumped when he suddenly heard the voice of Ruby's mom, turning towards her.

"Eeek!  S-S-S-Sorrocles!  I mean I'm sophorry!  I mean I'm sorry!  No, I mean I'm Sophocles!  I'm a very sorry Sophocles!" Sophocles said.  Ruby couldn't help but laugh a bit at this while Sopholcoes turned away.

"Sorry...  Let me just calm down a bit..." Sophocles said before turning around to face Ruby again.

"I...I came because I need your help, Ruby..." Sophocles finally said.

'Here we go again," Ruby thought.

"A bunch of strange guys appeared out of nowhere and...and they took over Festival Plaza!" Sophocles explained, but Ruby turned her head as if he had no idea what he was talking about.

"You mean that weird place you showed me that one time?" Ruby asked.

"I'll show you what I mean.  Come on!" Sophocles said, grabbing Ruby's arm and taking her outside.  He took out a device with two screens and pressed a few buttons.  In a flash of light, Ruby and Sophocles were gone.  They reappeared in a circular plaza with a number of shops and attractions with a strange red castle in the center with a bunch of Rs in a rainbow background on the monitors.

"Is that supposed to look like that?" Ruby asked, pointing to the castle.

"No, it isn't.  The space here suddenly became all twisted and the programming of the Plaza was rewritten!  That's why the castle looks so..."

"Really weird?" Ruby asked.

"You think so?  It looks pretty menacing, like where a final boss would live...  I think it looks kinda cool!" Sophocles said while Ruby let out a sigh.

"Sophocles, this isn't a video game.  Final bosses don't exist in reality," Ruby pointed out.

"Still, they broke through my impenetrable security system, even if they did take advantage of a system malfunction.  And they've taken complete control of Festival Plaza," Sophocles said.  As Ruby listened to him talk, something occurred to her.  She recalled hearing the voice in her head talk about a "twisted script" and things not sounding like they should, leading her to believe that the voice's sudden disappearance and the takeover of the Festival Plaza may be connected.

"So, all we have to do is take down the guys behind this operation?" Ruby asked.

"Yes, but be careful.  These guys know what they're doing," Sophocles replied.

"When has that ever stopped me?" Ruby said.

"Then you'll help me take back Festival Plaza?" Sophocles asked.

"Normally, I would say no because something tells me this place has some problems without the takeover.  But this time, I'll do it," Ruby said.

Sophocles let out a sigh of relief.  "I'm glad that you're with me, Ruby.  You're the Champion, after all!  W-well...  Let's go then..." Sophocles said, making his way towards the castle.

'If all this goes well, that voice in my head should come back, and maybe we can figure out why so many people have been wanting to challenge me lately,' Ruby thought, following Sophocles into the castle.  When they got inside, a single man wearing a black suit and a hat was standing in the middle of the room.  Hearing the approaching footsteps, he turned to face Ruby and Sophocles.  Ruby stopped in her tracks when she saw the rainbow R on the front of his shirt.

'There's no way, right?  That team was beaten by some guy years ago...' Ruby thought until he heard the man speak.

"Hey, who are you?!  Nobody should be able to enter Team Rocket's Castle!" the man questioned.

"Team Rocket?!  But that's impossible!  Team Rocket was beaten years ago by someone named Red!  It's old news in Kanto, but people still talk about it!" Ruby said, but as if her words didn't exist, Sophocles went on.

"I-I have admin rights..." he tried to say until the man stomped his foot on the ground.

"What?!  How dare you try to confuse me with your nerdy language!" the man shouted before he turned around and took a moment to calm down.  He cleared his throat and turned back towards Ruby and Sophocles.

"No matter!  Team Rocket's Castle is under our control!  There's nothing you can do, whoever you are!" the man said, laughing while he walked away.  Ruby clenched her fists and watched as the man walked off.

"It seems like this group calls itself Team Rocket.  They definitely don't seem like nice people..." Sophocles said.

'Of course they aren't.  They steal Pokemon from people.  They've even killed one before...' Ruby thought to herself.

"I can't believe I've allowed Festival Plaza to be taken over by people like them..." Sophocles said, pacing around a bit while he put a hand to his chin.

"Still...  He said this castle was under their control.  What exactly did he mean...?" he asked himself before returning to Ruby.

"Give me a sec and I'll check," Sophocles said, taking out the same device he used to transport him and Ruby to the Festival Plaza.  He pressed a few buttons, staring hard at the device.  After a few moments, he put it away and turned his attention back to Ruby.

"I've got it, Ruby...  They have some sort of program lock that prevents us from using the Pokemon in our pary!" Sophocles said.

"Well, that's just great.  How do we clear these guys out of here, then?" Ruby asked, turning her attention towards a woman dressed the same way as the first man they saw, staring at the Battle Agency desk.

'Maybe...we don't have to use our own Pokemon,' Ruby wondered.

"Do you have any ideas on how to get Team Rocket out of here, Ruby?" Sophocles asked.  Ruby smiled a bit and turned back towards Sophocles.

"How about the Battle Agency?" Ruby asked.

"The Battle Agency...?  Oh, of course!  If we use the Battle Agency rules, we can use other people's Pokemon to battle!  It doesn't matter if we can't use our own!" Sophocles replied, taking his device out once again.

"Just a sec..." he said while he fiddled with his machine.

"Using my admin rights to access the debug features...  Rebooting the reception program..." Sophocles mumbled.  In a flash of light, a female receptionist appeared behind the once empty Battle Agency desk.

"I've made it so we can use the Battle Agency now, too...  I wish there was more I could do...but I can't even access my full admin rights..." Sophocles said.

"I can take care of it from here.  Just leave it to me," Ruby said, making her way towards the Battle Agency desk.

"I'll try and get back complete admin access while you keep them busy!" Sophocles said.  Ruby turned and nodded in agreement before turning back around and walking to the desk.

"Welcome to the Battle Agency!" the receptionist said with a smile.  She gave Ruby the general rundown of how the Battle Agency worked before presenting her with three Poke Balls.  Ruby looked up at the screen behind the receptionist to see what Pokemon were available.

'A Golisopod, and two Pokemon I've never seen before.  Guzma has a Golisopod, and I doubt it let him down.  I should pick that one,' Ruby thought, taking the first Poke Ball.  Due to the glitches in the Festival Plaza, the Battle Agency could only provide Ruby with hologram trainers instead of actual people, but Ruby didn't really mind it.

"Last but not least, before you begin, we request that you project the proper look of an agent at the Battle Agency.  Good luck!" the receptionist said, handing Ruby a pair of sunglasses.

"Um...ok.  Thanks," Ruby said, putting on her sunglasses and stepping onto the transporter next to the desk.

'Here goes something," Ruby thought, closing her eyes as the receptionist hit a button on the bottom of her desk that activated the teleporter, sending Ruby to the stadium in an instant.  When she opened her eyes, she found herself in a large, mostly light blue stadium surrounded by silhouettes in the stands.  Two other trainers were already in the stadium and Ruby guessed it was the trainers she was supposed to be battling with.  She made her way over to the two, and once she did, the referee in the center of the stadium spoke up.

"Let me introduce the trainers who will battle along with you," she said, but the two other trainers only gave generic responses.  Ruby shook her head while a voice rang out through the stadium.

"Installing a battle program...  Type "Team Rainbow Rocket."

"Rainbow Rocket?" Ruby asked as a man who looked exactly like the one who spoke to her and Sophocles earlier appeared and made his way over to the center of the stadium.

"Oh!  Who are you?  I'll beat you!" the man said.

'He's just as generic as these other two...' Ruby thought.

"Let's do this!  Raticate, go!" the grunt said, throwing out his first Pokemon, a Raticate.  However, this Raticate was nothing like the Alolan variety was.  It was as Ruby remembered seeing in Kanto, a normal Raticate.

"So that's how they're going to do things, huh?  Alright, Golisopod, let's show him what we're made of!" Ruby said, sending out the Golisopod she was borrowing.

"Alright, let's give this guy a good first impression, Golisopod!" Ruby called out.  The Golisopod went forward and stabbed the Raticate with it's arms, doing significant damage until it started eating the berry it was holding.

"That was nothing.  Raticate, use Super Fang!" the grunt said.  The Raticate's teeth began to glow white as it ran towards Golisopod and bit down hard on it's arm.  Golisopod shook it's arm to get the Raticate off before running off behind Ruby, almost as if it was using her as a shield.

"Oh right, Guzma's Golisopod did this too.  Well, that's fantastic.  Return for now," Ruby mumbled, returning the Golisopod to it's Poke Ball and turning towards the two generic trainers waiting for their chance.

"So, who wants to go now?" Ruby asked.  The sunglasses wearing boy stepped forward with his Poke Ball, sending out a Passimian.

'They may not talk much, but maybe they can actually do something,' Ruby thought.

"It doesn't matter at all.  Raticate, use another Super Fang!" the grunt said.  Like before, the Raticate ran towards the Passimian and bit on it with it's fangs as hard as it could.  As the Raticate was trying to return to it's trainer, the Passimian swung it's arm into the Raticate and threw it onto the ground.  The impact with the ground was enough to make the Raticate faint.

"Not bad, generic guy," Ruby said.  While the boy didn't say anything, the Rainbow Rocket grunt was not happy.

"You got lucky, kid.  My next Pokemon won't be as easy to take down.  Go, Golbat!" the grunt said, sending out his next Pokemon.

"This one could be trouble," Ruby quietly said.

"Golbat, use Screech!" the grunt ordered.  The Golbat let out a loud, piercing noise that forced Ruby, the other trainers, and even the Passimian to block their ears.  In an attempt to stop the noise, Passimian threw an Iron Ball it had with it at the Golbat.  The attack was enough to knock Golbat out of the sky, but not enough to make it faint.  At the very least, it had stopped making the noise.

"You're getting on my nerves!  Golbat, use Toxic!" the grunt said.  The Golbat fired off a stream of purple liquid from it's mouth, poisoning the Passimian when it landed on it.  The Passimian ran at the Golbat, despite being weakened by the poison, grabbing the bat Pokemon by it's legs and jumping into the air.  It swung around in the air and threw the Golbat to the ground.  Like the Raticate, it wasn't able to take the impact of the attack and fainted.

"Alright, one more to go," Ruby said.

"I'm not going to let you win!  Arbok, go!" the grunt shouted, sending out his final Pokemon.  Ruby turned his attention to the other girl standing next to her.

"Hey, you're up," Ruby said.  The girl gave a simple nod while the generic boy returned his Passimian.  She stepped forward and threw out a Clawitzer.

"Arbok, go for a Bite attack!" the grunt ordered.  The Arbok charged at the Clawitzer and bit down on it's big claw with it's mouth.  The Clawitzer shook the Arbok off and it slithered on back to it's trainer.

"Go for another Bite, Arbok!" the grunt said.  Like before, the Arbok charged at the Clawitzer and bit into it again.  As the Arbok started going back to it's trainer, streams of brown water began to pour out of Clawitzer's claw, and the Pokemon fired the water out like a cannon at the Arbok.

"Well...that's something you don't see every day," Ruby said mostly to herself.

"No!  I won't lose this!  Arbok, use Wrap!" the grunt said.  The Arbok slithered over and tried to wrap itself around Clawitzer's body, but mostly only managed to get around the Pokemon's large claw.  The Clawitzer slowly tried to open it's claw, hitting the Arbok with another blast of water.  The blast forced Arbok off of it and back towards it's trainer, causing the snake to slam right into the Rainbow Rocket grunt.  A few moments passed and Ruby, along with the Rainbow Rocket grunt, were teleported out of the stadium and back to the Festival Plaza proper.

"So, how about that?" Ruby said, crossing her arms with a smile on her face.

"Impossible!  This kid...defeated me?!" the Rainbow Rocket grunt questioned before stomping his foot on the ground.

"That's unfair!  You shouldn't be able to battle so effectively with other people's Pokemon!" the grunt added.  He shook his head and pointed at Ruby and Sophocles, who had joined Ruby shortly after her return.

"Bah...  Get 'em, guys!" the man said.  Several more Rainbow Rocket grunts who were standing around walked over, leaving Ruby and Sophocles surrounded.

"We can't let you take back Team Rocket's Castle.  The boss's plans depend on it!" the man said.

"The boss?" Ruby asked.

"Just in time...  Full system restore!" Sophocles said.  In a flash of light, several of the Festival Plaza workers had reappeared.  Sophocles continued playing with his device in order to get the Rainbow Rocket grunts out of the Festival Plaza.

"Target set to Team Rocket...  Executing kick from Festival Plaza!" Sophocles added, pressing one more button.  In moments, several of the Rainbow Rocket grunts began to dissapear.  The first man, who seemed to be leading the group, made one final charge at Ruby before he also vanished.

"That was a bit too close for comfort," Ruby said.

"Whew...  That was close.  ...Thanks for your help, Ruby!  You kept them busy just long enough for me to get back full admin access...  I've used that access to lock Team Rocket from the Festival Plaza forever!  I also restored all the features and everything to normal, too," Sophocles explained.

"Actually, Sophocles, can you try to fix one more thing for me?" Ruby asked.

"What other thing do you want me to fix? Sophocles asked.  Ruby took a deep breath and told Sophocles everything that she knew about the voice in her head that guided her along her island challenge and how it had suddenly vanished after she had become the Champion.  Hearing herself, she thought that the whole thing actually sounded a little crazy, but at the same time, she knew that the whole thing was real.

"I'm telling you that it's all true.  If it wasn't for that voice, I don't think I'd even be here right now," Ruby said, watching as Sophocles started walking away from her as if her entire story was nothing but crazy talk.  Ruby sighed and walked back inside the castle, taking a seat in a nearby chair.

'I just want them to come back.  Without the voice guiding me along, I don't think I ever would've become the champion of Alola.  If they were here, maybe we could figure out what's going on with these Ultra Beasts and these Team Rainbow Rocket people.  All I want is for things to go back to how they were before,' Ruby thought, looking up at the ceiling.  For a few moments, she didn't hear anything at all.  Deep down, she had hoped for something to happen, but when those hopes were proven to be a waste of time, Ruby shook her head and stood up.  As she started walking towards the castle's exit, a faint, but familiar voice rang out.  Ruby stopped and looked around, a part of her thinking she was finally losing it.

"I must finally be hearing things," Ruby said until she heard the voice again, a bit clearer than before.  She looked around once again just to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

'Is this really possible?  How can I hear the voice again so suddenly?  Is this some kind of sign or something?' Ruby wondered while she walked around a bit.  She shook her head, a part of thinking the reason didn't really matter much.  She knew that she could trust the voice to guide her along the way and hopefully help her figure out what was going on.

So then I said "well, Diamond and Pearl suck because the games are ultra slow, and Platinum is the only thing saving Sinnoh from being on par with Kalos or Alola in terms of..."  Um...Hi?  What the heck is this?  What's going on here.  I finally have access to the Ultra Moon stuff and now Sophocles is thanking me for something and giving me an Eject Button.  What even happened?  Ever since Episode 14 ended, I've been locked out of my Ultra Moon project.  I can only guess this was the work of the same person who's been breaking my script.  Well, no worries, it's over now.  Now we can start with Episode 15.

Wait, what?  What do you mean there's already an Episode 15?  I never wrote an Episode 15.  And who even titled this episode?  I thought Team Rocket was censored...and wait, what?  Is the script fixed?  That's convenient.  How did that even happen?  This totally has something to do with the weird things going on since the whole Masked Royal case.

Well...alright then.  I guess we're back in business.  I honestly had no intention of doing postgame since there's not even much to do in postgame, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  Instead, let's talk about what goes down next here in the Gen 7 postgame.  According to the game, what comes next takes place straight away after the Rainbow Rocket incident at the Festival Plaza.  I won't argue with it, but to be honest, the whole thing just seems a little...eh.

Anyway, how about we get on with the show.  But first...who named the Type: Null you get without a choice after Gladion the Edgelord?  It's also Modest, so it sucks too since Type: Null and Silvally learn almost no special attacks at all, or at least learn any worth using.  I'll have to box it later.  I'm beating around the bush, now, though.  After the whole Festival Plaza fiasco, I guess instead of taking care of those boxes, she taught her Meowth how to turn on the TV.  Pro tip, don't teach your pets to turn on electronics.

After they walk away, we get to see a press conference from the Aether Paradise regarding the clouds that appeared over Poni Island, but we already know it was the whole Necrozma thing.  Lusamine, who is actually crazy and not a good person at all, kinda just drops the bomb and says it was Necrozma's fault.  I mean, we still get our praise and...Faba walks away.  Ok, I didn't like him anyway.  Moving on, as Lusamine rambles on, an Ultra Wormhole opens up and suddenly Rainbow Rocket guy tackles the cameraman.  Apparently, there's chaos, but let's be real here, not much is actually going on because Lusamine went after a mysterious man.

And so, the Rainbow Rocket Episode begins, postgame content added into Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and since we're here, we may as well nuzlocke it.  I know in the earlier stages of this run, I was on the fence about doing postgame, but at this point, I might as well do it.  It gives me more reasons to complain about these games and how...lackluster they are in my opinion.

So...Ultra Wormholes are still a thing, and after that little moment, there's someone at the door again.  Because in this universe, people don't lock their doors, Lillie comes barging in, but at least she's nice about it...unlike a certain shirtless murderer I will be talking about briefly in the next episode.  Anyway, turns out she saw the Ultra Wormhole problem at Aether Paradise, and she just tells us that she's going to see what's going on.  I mean, we could always go and see what's up, but..we're not going to do that.

Now, here's the thing.  We aren't being forced to go to Aether Paradise.  We can go there and handle business there anytime we want, so here's what we're gonna go.  Some new areas have been unlocked now that we're conqueror of Alola, and that means encounters.  That and I want to prove that these games lack in content.  I mean, at the time of writing this, Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee have just released and those games have disappointingly small amounts of postgame content even though in my honest opinion, the entire game is a disappointment.  We're not here to talk about those games, though.  Next time, we will be doing everything we can except the Rainbow Rocket stuff.  So, until next time.

And no, I'm not catching the Tapus.  They're sort of in the same class as the Lake Trio, but better, and even though I will be bending rules soon for certain reasons, I am marking the Tapus in the same class as legendaries like Zygarde and Necrozma.  So yeah, we're not breaking the postgame extremely hard.  Anyway, with that out of the way, until the next episode.

Also, the Rainbow Rocket grunt theme is fantastic and you'll be doing yourself a favor by listening to it.

Archived