do you think there should be a community guide?

do you think there should be a community guide?  

7 Dreamers have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be a community guide?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe.

I'm looking at contributing to EcchiDreams in a massive way. It's ambitious but I want to make a guide highlighting the features on EcchiDreams and how to use them.

currently there is no guides on here about the features you have and I think it's a damn shame because most of the features are hidden with no documentation to show you how it's done, if that makes any coherent sense at all.  I'd need the ability to be able to change and update the guide at any given time but I'd like to use Tripp's Extra Information format - which I'm requesting permission for too.

I'll break the guide down across lots of posts and link them up in the first post.

is that something that would interest staff and my fellow community dreamers? I might need some help so I have no problems in making this the dreamer's 2014 project or something XP

I'll also be grabbin' some screenshots, and would like permission for that too.

• Like 2

I've been looking over all the data Tripp's sent me about the stuff EcchiDreams could do, there's so much stuff that I think I will have to expand it into being a big guide thread. there's stuff in here I didn't know! but I will be testing and writing my first draft up, I've already started. ^^;

It is a rad idea and a long overdue one in my opinion. You're better suited for that than me, Whored. Best of luck with the project.

thanks Kevlar for the encouragement! but I fear you and maybe my fellow peers are missing the point, I’m sorry.

I want this to be a community contributed guide, there is minimal staff involvement and the staff are okay with this. apparently they were working on their own but features come and go too quickly for them to develop and document it at the same time. It's a chance for us to give back to the staff for everything they've given us and to help new EcchiDreamers. If you don't want to help, then that's fine it's your choice.

but any help from anyone new or old, no matter how little is appreciated deeply. I will thank everyone who helped put the guide together by name, this I promise.

Edited by ωнσяєσ
  • Like 1

• Community Administrator

thx misaghost!

I've been looking around the invision forums and apparently there's a suite 4 coming out, which I assume ecchidreams will be all over that and it's looking like it will be out very soon - honestly speaking is there any point on starting this now?

That's a very good question, and you're right. As soon as it's released (pending licence renewals) I will be looking at downloading it and installing it on my home server with a version of EcchiDreams running on it so I can look at what would be broken and work around it. The update to the site isn't likely to come until a little while after that, as some of you know when we upgraded to to an IP.Board before we lost skins for 8 months. That sort of problem is what I aim to avoid. 

If you like you can sign up for the Beta Dreamers, it'll allow you to Beta Test new EcchiDreams features which will allow you in particular to write your guide as this stuff happens. There are some things that one could get started on though stuff not relating to the core if you will, stuff based more on the staff or how we operate, that sort of stuff...

As soon as I have more news I'll let you know, right away. ^_^

alright, would Beta Access people have access to your home server?

and ok, I will hold off on that part for now but you are right there is stuff I can do so far I'm brainstormin' areas to cover it's likely to be a very big guide so it's going to need to have an easy and efficient index system. X_x;;

perhaps it'd be better just to open an EcchiDreams wiki? (jk)

mmm I'd appreciate beta access very much, it definitely will be useful. thx Tripp

• 2 months later...

sorry for the double post, but I wanted to give a status update....

unfortunately due to an exploding laptop that practically burnt our house down in the middle of the night I have lost it all. no one was hurt and we all got out safely. all the data (and the backups) are gone. from what I understand there is no point me in starting it again though as invision power services (the people who do the software for the boards) are updating to a new major version which if EcchiDreams is anything like how it used to be it'll most likely change then, so I will happily make the community guide when this is out or when I have more information on what Tripp's plannin on doing.

• Like 1

Yes, as soon as we've conducted our own tests and trained the staff to use the new system we will be updating, which will become EDC 6.6 (Which is a big version for us as you know I love my sixes.) We have full intention on upgrading to the new IPSuite when it's released and from what I understand it'll look familiar, easier to use but different. I will send you the related information to IPS4. 

Secondly as I've said already I am so very glad you all made it out unharmed, and relieved. I had gotten worried that you weren't on anymore and I am very, very, very glad you're okay. I think considering the circumstances it's completely understandable. IPS is looking to be released during Q2 2014; I'm looking at releasing EDC6.6 (As we all know EDC6.5 has turned out to be a flop) which should completely fundamentally change everything, and yet make the site easier to use and should finally operate much, much better on a Tablet and Mobile device, which is ultimately what the community has asked for; repeatedly. 

As the days draw closer there will be teasers and announcements. Surely other sites will upgrade before we do this time (We probably won't be the first) but at least when we release it we will do so when we're sure the site will work and be stable. We'll also be drastically updating and modernising the Terms of Service, and community rules as the Terms of Service currently contains stuff that shouldn't be in there and has no place of being there in this modern age. So yeah, I will be informing all members as it happens. It's likely we will be replacing the points system too, as you know the current module we are using is broken and the developer has gone AWOL. There's also a nice new feature that I've got secretly up my sleeve too that I will be introducing on this big update. 

But as I said I want to make sure it all works and staff at least know how to use it and help members use it, we want to make sure we can deliver a stable service and effectively; an awesome service. Which means we're not going to rush it at all.

excellent yes I will happily take anything you have (hurrrr) lol

thx Tripp

quick question, can I be granted access to the test community once you got it up and running so I can get a head start on writing the guides..... I know it is a little cheeky of me to ask but I completely believe it'd help.

Edited by ωнσяєσ

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

At the moment the project is stalled; because there have been a number of higher priority issues that have taken precedence. I want to highlight that I do see the need for one, and we're working on it as quickly as possible. We still don't have our credit system back yet either. So yeah; it's all things we're working on. 

ωнσяєσ told me that you've recently updated the site so i think its understandable that something like this would take a bit of a back seat. still, its a very good idea. i just wish i knew more about the site so i could insist on helping somehow. i suppose i can point out what i don't know to give ideas idk

Whoreo is absolutely correct, although things have rather slowed down since whilst I'm dealing with other issues and personal issues outside of EcchiDreams. I've not forgotten about it though. :) If you could make a list of articles I can fill it with (because I won't be releasing it, empty) then I'd be appreciative and I will credit you (or anyone else who does the same) with the article suggestion. 

• 3 months later...

i remember when a long long time ago i tried taking on this task. it was huge then, it's worse now. honestly it would probably be easier to do 20 second segments of video as in the announcement to show case all the updates and features. easier and faster.  just a thought. 

We are still currently working on this, as you can see we've had other priorities; and I know I've said this before so I have proof this time that we're literally just getting this into Beta with the rest of the site. Obviously this isn't the final version and it's still been tweaked and improved, it's the sole thing I am working on at the moment because I want it completed and on-line by 1st December 2015. It is quite a huge task and believe me; there will be videos of the things put into the Tutorial Section some that we'll probably upload to YouTube, but otherwise it'll be a completely community run project. :)

Oh and no; the text you see will not be final text. Most of it is a Alpha Development Draft, only one step better than "Lipsum" but this is what it looks like so far:

56534bf5463b2_SlightRedesign.thumb.jpg.b

Forgive the image quality it's only a screen grab.

I'd love to hear @Whoreo (as the original suggestor) and other dreamer's thoughts on this.