Old school games.

6 minutes ago, Ruri said:

Ohhh, I see. I've never owned a PS3 and I've always wanter a 3DS, but since the switch is out, it looks like there won't be anything new on it, so.. it'd probably be more of a waste

It's good for playing regular DS games too, meaning the library is huge.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JennyDK said:

It's good for playing regular DS games too, meaning the library is huge.

That's the main reason I got a 2DS in the first place. My poor DS Lite died after being plugged in for three years straight without being turned on (whoops...) and an $80 replacement was a great deal, even if it doesn't flip closed and looks more like a doorstop than a handheld haha.

10 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

What is Animal Crossing about?

It's pretty much that you live on some land with barely anything on it and you build it up however you like and get villagers and stuff

Some villagers run stores like clothing shops

It's really cute and it seems really fun with friends- you can have so many designs, it's crazy

You can also create your own designs for pretty much everything 

I'm usually not into city building stuff but it seems so cute and pleasing to me

You can also fish, dig for fossils, go to other islands- stuff like that 

It's a simple game, the simplest of explanations often suffices.

Wanna cut down a tree and sit on the stump, just because you can?

Wanna lay on a hammock on the beach and listen to the ocean rolling in with a mellow soundtrack?

Wanna go an assload of gardening and weeding and cross breed flowers?

Wanna travel to new places and find exotic produce and meet folks to live in your community?

Wanna go fishing?

Wanna go catch butterflies?

Animal Crossing is calm, peaceful and ridiculously time consuming with no shortages of things to really do, even if it seems aimless sometimes, it isn't. 

Its helping SO many people through the quarantine. Notice how it's sold out everywhere, and so are switches. Nintendo's stock is going up while other companies are going down. 

Ok, so... Seeing as how this thread is about old games and I'm the only Russian here (at least I don't know there are any others)... How about I offer something "exotic" for you to check out? Exotic for you, of course. Because it's... Russian!

A game that I've been a huge fan at one point in my life. A game made by Russians... Which already makes it way different from a lot of "Western" projects. Trust me, it does. And a lot of people actually say this is THE best Russian game that was created.

It's called... Space Rangers. There were 2 parts and now there's an "HD" release of the 2nd game on Steam. The first one was incredible, but second is even better. It takes everything good with the 1st and then slaps even more goodness on top of it. And it works quite well! I was very happy when the game got that HD release on Steam, so people OUTSIDE of Russia would learn about this... Masterpiece. Trust me, it might not look like much at first. But once you sit down and get into it deeper and deeper... Damn, so many hours went into it!

I've actually found an INCREDIBLE video review of this game on youtube... in English! Check it out until the end and don't forget to turn on the subtitles, since they have some extra information that is quite relevant to the whole thing. Sometimes there are jokes too 🙂 So... Yeah. Check the review and tell me what you think of it... 

A small disclaimer first though: I'm asking for your opinion simply because... Well, it's a Russian game. And while I hate a lot about my government/people, I still love my country. And it makes my heart warm that such an incredible game was actually made here. At one point, there were people in this forsaken country who tried to make good games. Until the whole "Russian gamedev" of any kind pretty much disappeared, simple as that. Most people who are aiming for gamedev careers now try to leave this place and work in the "Western" gamedev companies instead. Because not only it pays way better... But also because people out there CARE about what they do. They care about developing games and making them good. Space Rangers and a few other games that I can also tell you about later were those rare exquisite gems made by passionate people who CARED about gaming back then, about developing a great game, to make it interesting and exciting to play, unusual, new, etc. Until everything just shattered into nothingness, sadly. Anyway, enough with the sad talk. Check the review below. It's fun. Trust me.

And if you'll enjoy it, I will gladly tell you about a few other similar masterpieces made by Russians, which mostly went waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy below the radar of gamers in the whole world.

I have a PS4 (bought it a couple years ago when they stopped making new titles for PS3), a Switch, and there's an Xbox One X on it's way to my new house right now... well, within 3-5 business days for shipping. 

Most recently on PS4 I played all 3 original Uncharted games (because I'm a completist and wanted to play Uncharted 4) , and started Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2. I downloaded a pile of games I still haven't played like Detroit Become Human.

I started Breath of the Wild and Pokemon Shield on my Switch but haven't got very far in either.

I only got the Xbox One X because I was looking at a 4k bluray player for my living room and it was only $100 more for the Xbox that plays 4k discs, so... more functionality seemed like a good idea.

I still have the PS3 hooked up for stuff like GTA (because seeing how long I can survive just jacking cars and running people down is great stress relief), and there's a pile of old systems in boxes in my garage. I think a red ringed Xbox 360, an original Xbox, a PS2 and a couple old Nintendo somethings... Wii and maybe a Gamecube? I can't even remeber what I have out there. I just didn't have the heart to get rid of them, and with the finished basement that I plan on turning into a gaming lounge for video, board, and tabletop RPGs, I plan on hooking them all up and making a video wall with each system having its own tv. The PS4 is on a 65" 4K LCD and the Xbox will have it's own 50" 4K LCD. 

You'd think I'd play more with all that money wrapped up in tech, but... well. I tend to get easily distracted. What I want to do rarely coincides with what I actually do. The shelf full of RPG books tells the same story...

Archived