JennyDK

• 4 months later...

Ava reached up, swiping her thumb against her brow to wipe away the sweat that had gathered on her forehead. She gazed out over the quiet wasteland at the barbed fence that surrounded the abandoned looking military base. She gave it a brief glance before huffing out a sigh. She had finally reached it, after several days of travel. She had paid a merchant a night of rather steamy passion for the information about this military base. He had claimed that there might still be some good loot to be found here. While the loot in itself attracted her attention, she also wanted to see the military base for the simple pleasure of actually having to visit it. 

But it was getting towards sunset, and she didn’t want to look around it while it was dim, or dark as she had lost her flashlight weeks ago and she had yet to get herself a replacement. She saw some foliage closeby, and turned to head towards it. Once under the branches, she moved a little deeper, glancing around to make sure that there was no one else there. Once she felt comfortable, she shrugged off her bag and set it down next to a tree before she sat down with her back against the rough bark, placing her hunting rifle carefully on the woodland floor beside her. She let out a sigh as she reached up to massage her right shoulder. Due to her rather rushed travel, she had had few rest stops and thus her shoulders and legs ached from the enforced march. She would do anything for a massage right now, but one of the problems with travelling alone was that there was no one to perform that service. Which was a shame, but not many people were as adventurous as she was. Most people she had met either had set routes such as travelling traders, or had a set destination in mind. She tilted her head a little, listening to the surrounding forest not only for the pleasure of listening to the woods, but to prevent anyone from sneaking up on her.

Perception (hearing): 3d6+2 = 12 (3,6,1+2)

Sledge was walking past some thick branches. "Fuck sakes this places and branches." the bigger man tried to make his way to the milltarty base he had heard rummerd there was still good stuff in the dump from some bandit he spared after breaking his face in "That bastard better not set me up or my hammer be going up his arse." He was walking close by where Ava was. You can tell he was around by the weight he was and you can tell he was scottish by his accent to “What would I do to have someone else to talk to beside my damn self?"

Edited by Neptune

Ava was not hearing anything past the rustling of the branches and the occasional twitter of a bird and the flurry of small wings. It was a surprisingly peaceful day, and Ava found herself very much enjoying it. She was still trying to keep alert just in case any other looters, or bandits stumbled upon her but she actually found herself slipping into a light doze as she found the sighing breeze to be relaxing. Her head lolled a little on the trunk of the tree as her aching body slowly relaxed. While food was a need, she was thinking that a nap was not a terrible idea.

She was broken out of her doze by the sound of a voice. At first, the words were indistinct but she found herself jerking awake and becoming alert. The voice belonged to someone who clearly didn’t care about being stealthy which was either incredibly stupid, or brave. It was then that she heard a familiar lilt to his speech, causing her to sit there dumbfounded for a moment. It had been such a long time since she had heard someone with a Scottish accent, she had almost forgotten what it sounded like. She looked to her side, only to see a masked figure grumbling as he was clearly making his way to the military base. At his last comment, she found her lips curving up a little in amusement and decided to just introduce herself, “How about ya pay attention, ya daft bastard?” Ava suggested, her scottish accent just as, if not thicker, than his own. Either way, unless he was deaf it was sure to draw his attention.

• Haha 1

Sledge stopped in his tracks. He swore he heard an accent he thought he would not hear out this far “If I wasn’t deaf I would be now after hearing you bitching.” He said looking around trying to find the cunt that called him out was walking where he thought he heard the voice his weight was firm on the ground as he walked. You could clearly see the sledge hammer on his back. He really did have very little care and was hoping to use it too and sighed seeing a red head looking at him to himself “I have a feeling this one is going to be a real fire to just the way she looks.” He made his way to her, his 6,4 height showing the closer he got to her but he was lazy the whole way he was walking up to her. The big man has been walking for a few days to get here with little stops he was tired but he saw it as a work out to him. 

• Like 1

Ava watched, not hiding her amusement when the man stopped in his tracks and made some comment about her bitching making him deaf. She kept herself relaxed as he drew closer, but her hand did hover close to her gun. While she wasn’t shy about strangers, she was always wary of them as they could always attempt to rob her at gunpoint. As he drew closer, she could see just how tall and heavily built he was. He was certainly muscular, and she felt it almost a shame that she couldn’t see what he looked like underneath that mask of his. His steps seemed lagged, and she wondered if he had travelled just as hard as she had. This worked in her favour if he attacked, as she had, had a little time to relax and recover whereas he was clearly just arriving.

She kept the mood light when he came close by relaxing further into the tree and commenting, “The only bitchin’ going on here is your grumbling arse.” She pulled down her mask, fully revealing her face and giving him a slight smirk before she then gave him a small, informal salute, “I’m Ava. Who are you?” She asked, properly introducing herself.

• Woohoo 1

The whole time he was getting closer to her he could see her hovering at her gun and him only having a sledge hammer and no gun. He saw no point in taking his hammer off his back and now she took her gas mask off he saw a smirk on her face. It made him sigh as he took off his gas mask showing his face as well, only the right thing to do. He had a strong face under his mask “I’m Seamus Cowden, call me Sledge. I’m shocked to see a fellow Scot out in this hell hole.” He was looking at her and around her “You look like you can handle yourself. Way it seems I also see you’re alone has well.” The big man sighed from all the walking he did you could tell he was glad to just be standing and was talking to someone that he was not shoving his fist through  “Would you mind if I stick around? I had no damn clue there would be someone else here and I have no will or I'll go up with a lass with a gun versus my hammer. You will shoot my big ass before I get a swing off at ye.”

• Like 1

Ava studied the large man for several moments as he approached her. At his last comment, her smirk only widened, “You’re damned right I would.” She told him before she moved her hand away from her gun, a clear sign of trust. She then waved to the grass beside her as she said, “Pull up a patch of grass. I was just resting before I set up a camp for the night.” She shifted a little, sitting up straighter as she crossed her legs. Resting her elbows on her knees, she leaned forwards a little as she tilted her head up at him. She had to admit, he didn’t look too bad. Certainly someone she wouldn’t mind a few romps with. She smiled slightly at him before saying, “I’m here to have a look at the military base. Judging from where you were headed… so were you. But it’s late, and you look tired. I’m happy to share a campfire for the night.” 

• Woohoo 1

Sledge took a deep sigh from all the walking he did. “I’ll be happy to sit and rest at a campfire knowing I have someone to talk to that's not a bunch of rocks.” He said with his shoulder slumped he rolled his shoulders causing them to crack. You could tell he was trying to keep himself from going stiff and he could tell this red head would ride him throughout the night if he was not too careful. He walked to the patch of grass she pointed him to he sat down there resting his feet from the long walk he just took.

• Like 1

Ava snorted a little at his acceptance before she smirked over at him, “Hey, I can rock your night if you want.” With a seductive ease, she winked at him. She pulled the gas mask up and over her head, dropping it down next to her bag, “But, I think before we discuss whether we’re sharing a tent as well as a campfire, we should likely have something to eat. I hope you have your own, since I’m not giving you any of my food. While I’m happy to share my tent, my stomach would prefer it if I kept my food to meself.” She said, picking up a few sticks that were lying beside her. Shifting a little, she brought one leg from underneath her and scrubbed at the sparse grass in front of the two of them, pulling it from the ground. She crossed her leg again, and tossed the greenery away before she began to snap at twigs to break them down into smaller pieces, “Don’t mind helping, would ye?” She then asked, indicating with one of the sticks she held some more twigs close to him.

He chuckled at the thought with this firewire redhead “Lady I don’t just rock one sledge hammer. I have to warn you; I might end up breaking you and I'm fine with sharing my food with someone I’m sharing a tent with.” He got up, helping her with the sticks he got up breaking a branch off the tree since he was taller than her. He started to break the branch to help with the fire. As he was making sticks he grabbed some rocks to make a ring for the sticks to go in for the fire making sure they will hold, “Would you want me to light this or would the lady of the hour like to start the fire?”

Edited by Neptune
  • Like 1

At his comment that he would break her, Ava gave him an amused look, “No man has managed to do that.” She told him, before adding, “But you’re welcome to try. Sounds fun.” She then snickered a little as she continued to snap the sticks she had. As he brought back more, as well as stones, she helped build up a good sized campfire. Any additional sticks she put to the side to continue feeding the fire later. When it was done, she looked up when he asked who was to light the fire, “Lady of the hour, of course!” She told him, picking up one of the drier looking sticks as she slipped a lighter from her pocket. She shook the lighter a little before she set fire to one end of the stick. She tilted it, allowing the fire to eat its way up the stick before she gently put it into the pile of wood. Once the flame caught hold, she watched as it spread until they had a merry fire burning. Satisfied, she leaned back again with a sigh before looking back at Sledge, “So where abouts are ye from? I’m from somewhere that used to be called, or so I’m told, Mallaig.”

“I'm from a place called Johns o’ Groats or what it used to be called. I think I walked through your home place at some point. Was a hell of a walk; better looking place then the shit storm I came from.” He latched his gas mask on his legs. He was feeling safe as he can be to keep his face shown to her. He was lax for being out in this crazy world but being his size would make anyone one be a little careless “Hell one time I was walking around England, some old angry brit I ran into was having a hard time with a door and I helped his ass by breaking the door down with my hammer. All I got from the old bastard was him saying ‘fucking about time now piss off’”. He was finally leaning back you could hear his back popping from all the walking that he did he was happy to relaxes before he has to go breaking random shit again.

• Like 1

Ava snorted with amusement when he said that her home was better than the place he came from. If that were the case then where he came from must be an absolute hell hole. She watched as he removed his gas mask completely, setting it aside. As the world grew darker around them, the light of the flames flickered across Sledge’s face, creating shadows that made him look more menacing than before. As he continued his tale, she raised an eyebrow, “What a strange fellow. But then all Englishmen are like that.” 

She reached into her bag and pulled out one of her cans of food, “Ah, mystery can number one.” She said, rolling the metal can in her hand for a moment before sitting it on the floor before her. She pulled out her knife and carefully cut along the edges of the lid, gently pulling it up as she did so. Finally, she had the lid popped up, and she looked down to see that it was some kind of meatballs in tomato sauce. With a shrug, she set the can near the fire. There was no point in dirtying up one of her pans when she could cook using the can. She looked up at him, “So what’s on your menu tonight, big buy?” She asked.

He took out one of his cans of food to open it up to see what it was. “Another bloody kind of fruit looks like mixed fruit to me, at least it does not need to be cooked.” Would you want some of mine as yours warm up.” he leaned his can to her he was up for sharing as she waited to cook. He was really just being laid back from the trip he walked all this way “Hell, one time I met up with a real crazy fucker that liked to use poison gas. Another brite, nice and funny guy but he was a strange one.”

• Like 1

Ava glanced over at Sledge when he opened up his can to reveal mixed fruit instead of something more filling and able to be warmed like her own can. She grimaced when she saw that. While she liked fruit, that was not exactly the best meal to have at the end of the day. She raised an eyebrow when he offered some to her, and she looked down at it. After a moment of hesitation she ripped her fingers into the can to pull out a grape which she popped into her mouth. She licked the juice from her finger as he explained about another person that he had encountered.

“All Englishmen are strange.” Ava said with a shrug, “I’ve never met anyone like that in my travels and I’ve been all over. But then I didn’t stay on the Isle. I came to the mainland pretty quickly because there was a lot more to see. The Isle honestly didn’t have much to offer. I like seeing places and travelling to new places. I’ve been travelling for four years, since I was a wee lass.” 

• Woohoo 1

Sledge chuckled at all the times he went traveling “Oh, I know the feeling. When I was a wee lad I tried to ski off of a building. I broke both my ankles, but I still got up to break some poor bastards face in.” As he said that he rubbed one of his ankles. He has forgotten all the things he broken because his family or friends used him to always breach the doors walls or pretty much anything they needed. “Of course, I'm always breaking something swinging this heavy thing on my back.” He was talking about the hammer on his back.

• Like 1

Ava laughed when he said that he was always breaking something while swinging his heavy hammer. She could see how large it was, and how deadly it looked, “Oh, aye, I bet you fucking do! Make fucking paste out of them fuckers!” She laughed again before she gestured to her rifle, “Myself? I prefer to blow a hole in their brains. It’s satisfying to see their heads explode like a damn melon.” She leaned forwards, checking on the progress of her can of meatballs. They were still cooking, not even warm so she sat back and asked, “So what are you hoping to find in the military base?”

• Woohoo 1

He looked at her rifle “I was never really a good shot with guns. One time I shot my old man right in his arse with his own pistol. Me ma laughed her arse off watching her son shoot his Da in the arse on a hunting trip.”  Sledge had a good laugh at that old memory. “And why am I going to this base? Maybe I’m hoping to find a military grade sledge hammer. I believe it's called a Caber. It's a tactical breaching hammer with a crowbar at the end.” You could tell his hammer had been through a lot. The wood on it looked as if it could break at any time and there was a lot of duct tape.

• Like 1

Ava chuckled at his story. With how thick his fingers looked to be, she could believe it. His hands were made for holding onto large, heavy weapons. A gun was just not suitable for him. As he gave his reasoning for going to the military base, her eyebrows rose slightly before she looked at the hammer itself. It certainly looked worn, and she could see some of the engrained blood in some places. She scoffed a little, “I wish ye luck with that one. I bet it’s pretty cleaned out by now. But who knows, maybe you’ll get lucky? It sounds like a useful weapon to have. The amount of times I’ve come across a lock I cannae pick is ridiculous. Being able to just smack it open would be great.” She said, turning the tin of meatballs to help heat it evenly.

Sledge chuckled “Well I'm glad I'm here to help crack a lock or a door or a wall for you if you need me to go through anything that's a bit too rough.” As he picks at the fruit in his can and ate whatever that was not too bitter to him. “I swear my luck in cans sucks.” He sighed at his luck. “So how's your can going?”

• Like 1

Ava couldn’t help the laugh that escaped her when he said that he was happy to crack a lock, door or wall for her. The image that it conjured in her mind caused her to have a genuine belly laugh, a kind of laugh she had not had in a long time. As she calmed down, she wiped a tear from her eye, “Yer a funny fuck, you know that?” She chuckled for a few moments before she then looked at her can, her slim fingers touching the metal of the can for a moment, “It’s warm. Not hot enough to eat yet. I’m kinda hoping to find some food inside. I’m running a wee bit low. How’s the fruit? I dunnae mind the fruit cans, but only as a snack.”

“The fruit its alright but every time I go and open a random ass can its stupid fruit.” He put his can of fruit next to her. “Feel free to take a few as you wait for yours to heat up.” As he leaned back trying to search a little bit from the long few days he had. “And if I find any cans of food of any kind I'll let you pick them up. You don’t want my fruit can powers to to turn every can like that.”

• Like 1

Ava snorted when he claimed that he usually got fruit. No doubt that would suck, and she was glad that she didn’t have that kind of luck. She didn’t think she could live on a diet of primarily fruit. It was why she was glad that she had a gun, as it gave her the capability to hunt for actual game when she came across it. She had learned how to survive in the wilderness over the years. When he offered her more, she just shrugged. She was more in the mood for her meatballs than she was for fruit. When he told her that she can pick up any food they encountered, she snorted once again, “Alright, fair enough. The last thing ye wanna haul about is cans of fruit.” She said, touching her can again. It was hot now, for which she was glad. She was getting tired of waiting. She grew out her combat knife and used it to stab a piece of the meat and pull it out, popping it into her mouth. She chewed it for a few moments before swallowing it, “Mm. Not bad.” She then tilted the can, “Want one? Ye did give me a piece of fruit, after all.”

Sledge took one from her can, not minding the heat. “Thanks.” He said, putting it in his mouth and sighing, just happy it was not more fruit. “So how often have you killed game with that rifle of yours? I’m always stuck running down some game. One time I threw my hammer at a thing that looked like a deer it hit but that turned into a mess.”

• Like 1