OOC talk for Monster Academy.

1 minute ago, JennyDK said:

I don't really remember them vividly...which may be part of the issue? That they may not feel unique or something like that to you? I am always happy to help give ideas if anyone wants them.

Personally, I like to try and come up with a concept first and foremost.

Yeah, I've heard that helps with character creation.

Unfortunately, whenever I come up with a concept I like I tend to latch onto it, no matter how simple it is. There's not a lot you can do with "goblin paladin" in terms of story and personality stuff. A lot of the times I end up just making a character basically randomly.

3 minutes ago, Mega_Lorandto said:

There's not a lot you can do with "goblin paladin" in terms of story and personality stuff.

I honestly beg to differ. Like: What sort of personality does it have? Who does it worship and how? What are their goals? What equipment do they use? Many ways to make them different.

5 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

I honestly beg to differ. Like: What sort of personality does it have? Who does it worship and how? What are their goals? What equipment do they use? Many ways to make them different.

Well yes, but at that point your basically going based on your own whims instead of a concrete story that will make a person interacting with that character actually want to engage with said character and give interest to that character outside of combat situations. I ... tend to play a lot of TTRPG's, where this problem is most prevalent. A lot of the characters I make? Their combat skills and problem-solving abilities are the things I work on the hardest. Their personalities and how they interact with the party? Not something I worry about until I have to well interact with something that's not an enemy or a problem I have to solve. Most of my characters end up being the type that are like, "Is it something I can hit? Is it something I can do anything at all with? No? Then I don't care, and I probably should." Which, let's be honest, playing that kinda character isn't all that fun when you do it for every campaign. They're more like NPCs than actual characters.

Edited by Mega_Lorandto

4 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

So TL, DR version is: You make the same type of characters and they are focused on action/problem solving rather than interaction beyond that?

Basically. I'm trying to come up with, you know, actually interesting character concepts. In other words, I'm going about character creation in a different way than I had previously (which was mainly just fill out the form and ensure you hit all the bulletin points needed) and that's taking a lot of brain power for me to do. It's why I asked about there being a template. It's not that I hadn't ever made characters without it. It's just not a style of character creation I'm entirely used to yet. So yeah, taking a bit longer 'cause usually I can make a character lickety split.

Hello and welcome to our lovely club @foxx777 and I hope you will like it here. Do let me know if you need help getting started! 😄

56 minutes ago, Mega_Lorandto said:

Basically. I'm trying to come up with, you know, actually interesting character concepts. In other words, I'm going about character creation in a different way than I had previously (which was mainly just fill out the form and ensure you hit all the bulletin points needed) and that's taking a lot of brain power for me to do. It's why I asked about there being a template. It's not that I hadn't ever made characters without it. It's just not a style of character creation I'm entirely used to yet. So yeah, taking a bit longer 'cause usually I can make a character lickety split.

Like I mentioned - the minimum info will be what you see in my own character profiles. I can make characters here very fast and, hopefully, decently.

I will be glad to help you out any way I can, of course.

3 hours ago, JennyDK said:

Hello and welcome to our lovely club @foxx777 and I hope you will like it here. Do let me know if you need help getting started! 😄

Like I mentioned - the minimum info will be what you see in my own character profiles. I can make characters here very fast and, hopefully, decently.

I will be glad to help you out any way I can, of course.

Thank you. I'm sorry for the long period with no reply haha 😅

9 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

I very much like your new student!

He's one in my collection of "random characters I thought up in my head but haven't used yet"

10 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

I also have a necromancer and thus thought it would be a great to try and figure out scenes between those.

Sounds good

Great! Thank you for being cool about and interested so far 😄

Perhaps he seeks information that is fairly hard to find or is trying to use necromancy somewhere, but is found out by her?

Just two suggestions.

Ooooh and I know all about having "ideas you have yet to try out". I have endless ideas I would love to play out character wise and so few "spots" to fill out with them xD