2nd year classroom

The janitor bull grunts once, not seeming so interested in having fun with the students. But, who knows what he really likes? Only he does, and it doesn't seem like he's willing to share. "I'm good, but thanks for the consideration, kid." He got out of the way so that the human can leave whenever he wishes to. He sighs yet again, steam escaping his snout.

• Like 1

"No problem, Mr. Kano. I hope you get some relief. Maybe I'll see you at the dance. Oh! I don't know if you might be interested, but I found this really cool place at the mall. Its a bar thats set up like a fantasy tavern. You should totally go check it out some time. Might be more of your style." He gave the bull a small smile and took a quick picture of the poster before leaving the room. As he walked down the halls, he made sure to keep an eye out for things to maybe make Mr. Kano's job a hair easier.

• 2 months later...

[new scene - cooking class]

spacer.png
Maxwell briskly entered the empty classroom as he sets his worn brown leather briefcase on the top of the wooden desk before he turned around and began to write on the chalkboard in elegant handwriting it appeared on the far right screen, “Professor Winsor - Cooking 101“ before he places the piece of chalk back on the metal ledge under the chalkboard. He spins around and sits in the chair stationed behind the desk at the front of the classroom, while he begins to layout a stack of papers that read, “Curriculum - Cooking 101“ and a cream colored book that reads, “Introduction to Culinary Arts“ before he leans back tapping a white box wrapped in cellophane as he watches the door for the first student to arrive.

@JennyDK

The students all get into the classroom, which is the one that is also fit for home economics. One of them being countess Bella, a third year students who is much, much older than her appearances give off. She is dressed in her usual classy and fine dresses, not being one for casual clothing, even at school. She finds her seat among the rest and wait for the teacher to start telling them what the lesson is about today.

Maxwell stands up setting the white box with silver letting down on the counter as he sees the majority of the class having found their seats. He coughs out slightly to get the rest of their attention to the front room and begins to say, "Greetings class and welcome to Cooking 101. I am Professor Maxwell Winsor and I will be your instructor for this class into the culinary world of food n beverages" as he pauses to walk around the front of the desk picking up the stack of papers that contained the syllabus and the stack of textbooks. He continues speaking as he states, "In this text book and syllabus that is being passed around you will find out what I plan to teach you and how, which will mostly be practical hands on learning" as he smiles at the group. He continues stating with serious tone, "I don't expect you all to be master chefs, but I do expect you to try your hardest on the assignments I give you. Any questions before I start the lesson?"

Diligent, methodical and properly as usual, Bella is listening and paying well attention. Honestly, she is not really sure how well she can do this class, but if it's just about following a recipe, surely it will be okay, right? In any case, she takes a quick look at the stuff that has been handed out to them, wondering how to go about this. Once Maxwell prompts for any questions, she is considering asking about those students who don't eat stuff, but even though she has no qualms and shame about her....condition, she doesn't want to really get into that, especially openly. She figures it will be easier to talk to the teacher once the lesson starts for real.

Seeing no questions or hands raised from the class as the last of the items are handed out, he resumes instructing the class, "The biggest thing that you will first learn is how to follow the recipes and the different units of measure, which the two system are metric and Imperial" as he puts an image up on screen showing the two different systems.  He continues by saying, "We will be using the metric system for our measurements when cooking as they are already printed as such in the book, which I have listed the conversion rate for imperial to metric for an example of what will be on the midterm exam. Make sure to take good notes as your exam will be open book for any tables I give you" as he goes through the different measurements as he explains, "When cooking it is important to measure you ingredients as too much of one thing can cause something to be offensive to the taste. These tastes are: bitter, sweet, sour, spicy, salt, cold and umami or meaty that are used to compose the taste of your dish in a combination" as he pauses to look out over the class to see if there are any questions.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Luckily, the monster realm has measurement resembling that of the metric system by large, so there is no need for her to really guess what is what. However, the comments about getting it wrong would cause a distasteful result. She really doesn't know what to think of that and seems rather puzzled, despite her otherwise calm and neutral demeamour as a whole. She raises her hand as one question does pop up in her mind. Once she is allowed to ask, she simply questions this:"Why do you have two different scales of measurement? That is most illogical, especially when one of them seems much more simple and straightforward".

• Haha 2

Maxwell ponders how to answer the question as he turns in her direction as he replies, “Good question Miss Bella and the biggest thing is because Americans don’t want to change an ingrained system that has been used since the 1800s” as he posts a few dates on the board. As he continues, “The Imperial system was founded by England in 1824 before we rebelled and fought a Civil War. Although parts of the measuring system like the unit of a mile goes back to the ancient  Roman time period in the 1500s, which the biggest reason I believe that we Americans haven’t taken the time to change is due to the time and money it would take for our businesses/government to convert” as he finishes his comment, he looks to see if anyone has anything to add or new questions.

One of the monsters present in the class, a dark skinned beast girl who wore just enough clothes to be considered covered, had remained quiet all this time. 'Hellhound' was the name she identified herself as, being the proud monster she was. She had no real questions or anything but she followed what was being said. It wasn't hard to tell she wasn't exactly the cooking type, All these measures and history explanations seemed to leave her confused or lost but she listened anyway. The textbook itself didn't do much to help, at least following the page they were at with all the numbers and scale values. For now, Hellhound didn't feel like she'd be able to ask anything so she merely watched for the time being, trying to not lose anything being said or maybe asked by another student.

Edited by Seraphina

Bella scribbles down the historical facts and points being made, much more interested in those rather than learning skills she cannot exactly put into much use herself. After all, at home she has servants for that sort of thing. She nods slightly back at the teacher, making sure he know she is paying well attention. For a moment, she honestly forgot fully about this being home economics and now her mind is fully upon a very different topic: mainly human history. She raises her hand again and unless others do the same she will likely get to ask again."Civil war? Why would you fight your own country? Were the nobles weak and frail?", she asks, using her own culture and history as a reference and in the monster world, most often being mightier dictates who usually gets to rule.

Maxwell chuckles as he hears Bella’s question as he replies, “that is a great question that leads into history but can be tied to cooking by way of food and drinks“ as he pulls up a a couple of ingredients being a fine white powder sugar and red box of tea. He continues by pointing to the two different items, “the Americans had to pay taxes to the British for imported tea and sugar along with other items, which combined with the distance of the Atlantic Ocean caused discontent to brew more easily and the colonists wanted independence“ as he looks at the group. After a brief pause, he continues, “Now why don’t you all find a partner for your first cooking assignment for a classic dish from back in colonial times of America - Apple Pie“ as he reaches down behind counter pulling out a try of mini Apple pies and a stack of papers. His final statement before he watches the students as he sets the tray down, “Once you have found your partner one of you come up to grab a pie and a copy of the recipe for me to write down the pairings, which you will be working with them for the year“ as he flashes a kind smile with a notepad in hand before he adds, “Why don’t I start of the pairing with.... hmmmm Bella and hellhound“ as he points at both girls, “you shall be a pair“ as he motions them forward. @Seraphina

spacer.png

Edited by DrMender

Hellhound thought about the question of war and all she could think about from personal experience was monsters fighting between themselves or perhaps with other humans as well. She wasn't even surprised humans would fight each others. To her, it seems all so natural. But for now, she had to find herself a partner to make an apple pie. A dish she never even heard about, even less tasted, even though it probably was served at the dining hall. The beast girl looked around the room, trying to find someone suiting who would help her get through this, more especially if she had to stay a full year with that person. It was then that the teacher named her and Bella together, making her blink and look toward the student who had asked questions about measures and the civil war. It didn't seem like a bad choice and she looked smart. With a smile, she moved closer to that student. "Hello...! So you will be my partner. I hope we can do this together.", she said happily, even her tail was almost wagging at the idea of having a partner. Despite appearances, she was like a giant puppy but she still knew she had to take assignments seriously so she remained calm.

Edited by Seraphina
  • Like 1

Bella is about to try and ask even more questions about history, but the sudden last part of his comments take her off guard enough to stop such attempts. Anyone looking her way can spot she is just about to raise her arm, but it does down just as quickly too. Her attention is snatched away by Hellhound, one of the other students in this class and one she doesn't know anything about. She hasn't done or said anything to lead the Countess to think she would be a bad partner, but she might not be the easiest to work with, herself."Hello there. Hellhound...was it? Pfttt...of course! It's just following text in a book - a recipe. I don't doubt that with me in your court, you shall succeed!", she says with a smirk on her lips.

Hellhound observed her new partner but she had no real thoughts about her. Naively, she was only happy to be with someone regardless of who it was. Something about Bella emanated of confidence though so she felt lucky to be with her instead of any others. Hellhound herself didn't look as smart compared to her. A small smile stuck to her face made her look too happy for her own good to be there. "Hellhound is my name, yeah. Following text in a book, uh...? I don't really like having to read but if you say so, I'll do my best to not disappoint you.", the beast girl stated, seeming slightly embarrassed but still willing to try her best as she said. It didn't look too difficult since it was their first assignment after all so maybe she would be alright to at least help her partner with it.

Maxwell watches the class talk amongst themselves as the others beside the countess and hellhound scurry around to find a partner. He chuckles silently too himself as he spots the countess put her slightly raised arm down as he idle writes down the names for the other groups as he hands out the recipe and the mini apple pies to the other students. Once he has completed handing out the recipe and the pies to the other students, he walks over to Bella and Hellhound as he places the “simple” recipe down with the apple pie. He replies, “I will let you all converse to get to know one another and ask any questions regarding the recipe instructions“ as he walks back up to the front before continuing, “I will show you once how to complete each step and will be available afterwards to answer any questions as you make the pie at your station“ as he watches the class, while slowly pulling out a small amount of ingredients listed on the recipe.

Apple pie recipe

Edited by DrMender

Bella gives Hellhound a brief, but friendly smile, not wanting to seem mean or unfriendly to her. After all, it would make for a bad time for her if the next year will be spent with an unhappy partner."I am sure we can do this easily. After all, you have me to help you out. Besides, it helps to have someone who can actually eat stuff like yourself!", she says, without saying too much about that specific topic. She takes the recipe and read it over, holding it so Hellhound may look as well."Allright...seems fairly simple enough. It's just like doing math - doing the right things in the right order...something like that", she says, confident it is mostly like other school work, just with tangible components.

• Like 1

Hellhound listened, just seeming to be glad for the partnership and not minding or paying attention to Bella's self back patting about her own talent. In fact, the beast girl looked pretty happy with it since it meant they'd probably pass this assignment with flying colors. "Eating, I can do well... We have to eat what we make, right?", she evidently asked. Food was part of what she considered a good reward for doing something well. Hellhound kept quiet afterwards to listen to Bella's reading of the book, though. She looked at the book as well but didn't exactly search to understand what she was seeing, only what the countess explained. Only afterwards did she nod at the description of the task. "I hope I can help. You only need to tell me what to do and I will do my best.", she finally said, looking ready to accomplish whatever she'd be told to do for her while her tail swayed around gently.

Edited by Seraphina

Maxwell watches idle at the front of the classroom as the groups go through quiet introduction and allows a small bit of time to pace before he calls out, “Alright class, now that you have gotten to know your partner for the year a little better and have had the chance to introduce yourselves. We will get started on making the first recipe for today’s class” as he claps his hands together pointing at an variety of different ingredients. He smiles brightly and he exclaims, “The biggest thing when using fresh fruits and vegetables in a recipe is to make sure to wash them with warm water to remove any dirt or bacteria” as he goes through cleaning the water at the sink on the station. He also continues on saying, “Also make sure that you wash and dry your hands well before starting to prepare your ingredients” as he meticulously cleans his hands.

"Allright. It sounds like we can do this, Hellhound. Just let me know if you want me to explain things again or better...and yes, it seems like a waste of learning and ressources to make a dish fo it be tossed out", Bella chimes back to her partner in food making. Honestly, the countess is not very used to working with others, but as long as she gets to direct things she doesn't mind too much. She grabs the vegetables that has been given and split them into two groups: one for her and one for Hellhound."There you go...we can start here at least and it should be easy enough", Bella comments as the water is starting to pour. Luckily, for her, the tap does say when you get hot and cold water, otherwise she would not really be able to tell the difference unless the water became hot enough.

Hellhound simply nodded to her partner, looking forward to how what they make will taste but for now... The teacher had given important indications that thankfully weren't anything new to her, mainly washing her hands. Having to wash the vegetables would probably be the easiest task for her and since she was given a split of them, all she had to do was get to it. Once free to start, she first washed her hands the way she was taught to do so then proceeded dry them off, only then to finally wash the vegetables carefully. Hellhound actually seemed to have fun doing simple ordinary tasks, probably just for the sake of accomplishing something. Her tail was at least wagging gently in a calm manner as she was doing it as it was her way to express her general happiness of doing something. Only when she felt she had done her task well, the beast girl put the vegetables together and smiled to Bella. "All done! They're all clean and ready.", Hellhound stated happily with a determined expression.

Maxwell smiles at the group of students as he watches the class perform the tasks needed to wash their hands and the apples that would be used in the baking of today’s recipe. He stops at a couple of the stations to inspect the work and points out criticism as needed, while giving praise to others as needed. He exclaims out to Bella and Hellhound, “Good work at washing the apples without damaging them” as he pauses before continuing, “The next step is to prepare the dough for the crust” as he begins to walk them threw the process of measuring the ingredients need for the crust being: flour, salt, sugar for the dry ingredients and butter, eggs n water for the wet ingredients.

Unlike Hellhound, Bella is not at all used to the more mechanical and physical tasks, so she fumbles around a bit with her few vegetables. Of course, since it's not too hard a task, it merely takes about 10-15 seconds longer for her to get through her pile."Hmmmm...and some people do these things for a living? Ohhh, good job miss Hellhound. At least you seem more fit and ready for manual labour", she says, clearly not sounding like she is accustomed to such kind of work.

She takes notes about the next ingredients and double check with the recipe provided to them to see if they measure up 100% with each other. One thing that seems to mystify and bother her, are the "estimates" made in the recipe."Mister Winsor. The recipe is being quite vague. It has phrases like '2 to 4 tablespoons' - that hardly seems like the person who wrote this has any idea about the ingredients", she says, not really sounding like she is joking.

• Haha 1