Academy arena.

Linden waited for a few moments with dread hoping that she didn't have some final attack for him. Relief washed over him as she agreed to the truce. Then guilt as he saw her cradle her injured hand. He staggered to his feet and walked carefully over to her. He collapsed to his knees next to her and gingerly reached out to her injured hand. "Sorry... Are... are you alright, Lynette? Let me take a look at that I can heal it."

• Love 1

With a grunt of pain, Lyn removed a spike stuck in her hand, channeling just a bit of her cold powers to staunch the bleeding. It was the least she could do until she got proper medical attention. Hopefully, they had a healer somewhere in this school. With the adrenaline slowly fading from her body, the pain was intensifying, and she was starting to feel faint. Truth be told, it was one of few actual combats she's been in, and this was one of the even fewer wounds she has ever taken. Still, she did her best not to show too much weakness to the servant of the summerfae.

The moment he kneeled next to her, however, she instinctively pulled back, moving her sword-side away from him. Her muscle memory was still not letting her relax, and the sight of the person whom she just came out of intense combat with approaching her peacefully was quite alien to her mind. She sighed, easing her muscles and getting on one knee. "I'm fine. Concern yourself with your own wounds, su-... Direnni," she addressed him, this time stopping herself from calling him a "summerling". For a pawn of the Summer Queen, he fought much better than she expected him to. He deserved at least that small bit of respect - even if she didn't quite trust his motives yet. She raised her head to look him in the eyes, more out of curiosity rather than anything else. To her surprise, she didn't find there prejudice. He seemed genuinely worried. She closed her eyes.

"Fine, do what you will," she conceded with another sigh. "But we need to get you somewhere warm first. You're showing signs of frostbite." She gestured towards his neck, which, she noticed, was beginning to take a sickingly pale tone.

Edited by Icarian Dreams
  • Love 1

As he reached our he noticed her tense like a wild animal and he relaxed trying to get her to calm down. He smiled kindly when she reffered to him by his name. "Thank you Lady Syrabane." She looked him in the eyes and he held her stare his gaze full of concern. When she conceded he smiled and gingerly held her injured hand in his. "I'm so sorry, I didn't want to hurt you, even if you did anger me, oh if I hadn't been so foolish I could have avoided this with the trap, should of kept the roots up." When she expressed concern for his well being it was his turn to look at her in surprise. He expected some taunting when she pointed it out but there was no cruelty in her words. "Oh don't worry about me, I healed the worst of my wounds during the fight." The truth was he could feel only a faint pain from his neck the cold causing a loss of sensation which he knew was bad but the room was only getting warmer now and the neck tended to heat up quickly her wound needed more attention. His hands glowed with a faint white light and the wound on her hand quickly vanished along with the bite on her nose. "Hey I think I feel a little better too."  Linden then passed out.

Edited by Solomon
Clarification
  • Haha 1

Hearing the man actually address her by her title, Lynette couldn't help but smile. Usually she'd dismiss it for cheap mockery, but this time she didn't sense any of it in his expression nor in the tone of his voice. She shivered slightly when he took her hand, but appreciated the gentleness with which he handled it. She'd expect more rough treatment from someone she just almost killed.

His apology she accepted with a faint nod of her own. Truth be told, it was her who approached him with accusations of dishonesty and mal-intent. This didn't of course release him from being responsible for his disrespectful behavior, but it did give some justification to his actions. They both had things to apologize for here. That said, she didn't, of course, suddenly start to completely trust him - his motives and goals were still largely unknown, and she was set on finding out what they truly were - but she did warm up to the man.

Of course. That's why you lasted so damn long, she thought, hearing his explaination of how he healed his wounds. The light energy around her hand felt warm and pleasant, and even slightly tingly. She breathed out in relief as the pain she felt slowly began to subside and the wound on her hand started closing. Her gaze rose and she looked up at him, grateful, but still, even with the atmosphere slowly adjusting to its usual warmth, the marks on his skin attracted her concern. "You do need to-" she started, reaching out to try and feel out the temperature of his body, but she didn't even get the chance to touch him or finish her sentence before he blacked out.

"-ah, damnation," she concluded, springing to her feet to catch the man before he fell and potentially hurt himself even more. She grunted heavily as his weight collapsed onto her shoulder, and reached with her recently-healed limb to hold him from falling to the side. "Need to get you somewhere warm..." she decided out loud, and began to slowly pull him towards the exit from the arena.

[ Scene finished ]

• Love 1

• 4 months later...

GM: To stop myself from procrastinating too much, I am just plopping down Malikah for now and thus get started on my own. I will outline the rules I find fitting for the duel as first draft.

• The duel is max 5 posts from each person, thus max 10 posts in all
  • Powers lasts for max 2 posts - so you can max use 2 per duel
  • Absolutely nothing lethal - knockout at best
  • Try and be fair - this goes both ways of course. So if it seems like a power will affect you, it will most likely unless you can argue for how it does not
  • Ask the GM or moderator if there are any questions
  • One action per post
  • Passive powers are only toned down in case they are deemed overpowered (I will try my best to be fair, naturally)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The rather tall, hugely buff and very confident goro student Malikah J'zar is entering the arena where she knows she can go pretty wild with her strength and in general. Any damage to the place is usually fast and easily fixed as well and anyone else should be fairly safe behind the walls of the arena, which serves as both their protection and means of looking over the circular room.

The large female stretches and cracks all of the bones she is able to, before lightly warming herself up, ready to face whoever is unfortunate enough to end up in here with her.

• 2 months later...

OOC: I am thinking we can try and stick to the rules above in my last post. That way we can BOTH do our scene and I can get to try out the duel "system" and see what works well and what doesn't.

The teacher, Bridget, leads the student Niyol @Kerzin Kalamond and his new familiar to a place they have probably never seen before - the academy arena. This place has not seen use for some while as students are generally doing fine in not making drama and trouble for each other. The place is pretty huge and with plenty of space to go wild and most damage can be fixed by the viceheadmaster, so there is no reason to really hold back."Here we are! This should suffice just nicely. Welcome to the arena the two of you!", she announces and takes in the sights.

Niyol looks around at the huge area, finding this place to be perfect for what he has in mind. Really gives him time to move and see how this wind that keeps feeling inside him works out. “Such a majestic place.. many battles these stones have seen. Now I shall speak to my companion here.” He takes a moment to scoop up Misha and set her up on his shoulder so they can talk all hush hush away from their current opponent. “You should have access to fire, earth, lightning, and water my friend. I seen enough of these things use in combat to get a jest of how they work. Shift the stones under her feet to trip her up, use water to splash all over the field and channel a bolt of lightning through it all if she is difficult to hit. Any questions?”

Bridget gives them time to talk things over and strategize. It isn't really about victory in this case, but mostly about testing how the familiar does with these powers and how well their cooperation and such might be at this stage. It certainly doesn't hurt to at least get an idea about how they would do should a dire situation occur as well. However, Misha is not really someone who is used to doing bigger strategies and usually is more the "direct" kind of type. This doesn't mean she disregards what she is suggested by the tauren."Allright. Ah think Ah got the gist of it. Basically, to use the surroundings to my advantage. That sounds easy 'nuff really. Ah'm not used to these types of juju so it may take a few tries...this is just practice, after all", she says and nods.

"I will let you go first miss Misha", Beatrix says, being patient and trying to see how she can best help the goblin do well along with Niyol.

“I believe in you my little green friend. You are a gift from the spirits so I trust in your abilities.” While Niyol believe in what he is saying, he still understands it will take time to adjust to wielding his magic, much like it took him time to get used to wielding his earthbreaker. Having retrieved his big two handed weapon, he unharnessed the massive totem like weapon his kind is famous for using. “I have so many ideas on what we can do to work together. Many would take practice but for now let’s just keep it simple, I will try to keep her between the two of us so she is flanked, just shoot at any openings you see for I will keep an eye on you to watch how the magic flys.”

Bridget gives the tauren a lifted eyebrow as she hears what is being said towards the goblin."I think you may have misunderstood something mr. Niyol. Duels are one on one deals. You must trust in the abilities of your partner or face me yourself. Whilst I could probably take both of you on in some capacity, there are still the fact that anyone must face their opponent solo. Otherwise, we could have groups of ill-intentioned people fight against single targets. I hope you can agree to this term", she says, trying her best to sound firm, but not demeaning.

Niyol turned looking confused at Bridget. It seemed an odd thing to say as he thought of Misha as an extension of himself but can see why she would think otherwise and nods. So much for that idea. With a heavy sigh he turns his head to look at the goblin on his shoulder, thinking for a few moments before nodding his head. “You want to fight first? I wouldn’t mind watching and going second if Bridget would be willing to go for another round.”

OOC: Let us make the next post the first "round" out of 5. So we both get 5 posts to do stuff.

Misha is just wanting to do a duel and the current discussion is making her groan inwardly."Let's just do this! I grow weary of all of this talking!", the little goblin finally speaks up and walk towards the center of the arena, readying herself for what is to come. With a new and unknown opponent, it is best to try and be more defensive at first. She grabs her spear and speaks towards Niyol, who is likely behind her."Just tell me what you wish me to do and go from there!", she almost barks, her impatience fairly clear.

"That suits me just fine. I could use some practice myself little friend", Bridget says and seems to get fired up herself, both mentally and literally.

• 4 weeks later...

Niyol gazed down at Misha in confusion. Tell her what to do? She is supposed to be his connection to the spirits, why doesn’t she already know this? Spirits are a strange lot, much like this bond. The Tauren thumps his totem into the dueling floor and sits down crossed legged next to it to be more on the goblins level. Looking from on to the other, he isn’t to sure on what to say. “Try pulling out the fire. Weave some elements of the storm together.”

This is all new to Misha as she has never really done anything like this before, but that is certainly not going to stop her from trying her best and the thought of wielding more power is definitely something she finds alluring and fun. It looks like they are given the privilege and opportunity to start off and Bridget seems to patiently wait for the goblin warrior to do her first move before she intends to start on her own."Oh sure! I can do that!", she says, voice full of self confidence and certainty. She focuses as much as she can and lets the new type of energy flow within her and soon she slides a hand down along her spear, making it burn with magical fire

Turn 1: Used fire element lasting 2 posts max.

• 2 months later...

"Pierce my enemies with the power of darkness!  Shadowshot!" Vangor called out, pointing his staff towards a training dummy a short distance away.  Responding to his words, a sphere of darkness about the size of a tennis ball shot out of the tip of his staff, racing towards the dummy.  While the sphere was fast, when it made contact with the target on the training dummy, the damage it inflicted was minimal at best, leaving only a small burn mark where the sphere smacked into it.  Vangor shook his head as he lowered his staff and bent down to pick up a notebook he had close by.  "The speed is effective, but the size and power are very clearly lacking.  Shadowshot is supposed to pierce through armor.  I must've sacrificed too much power for speed," Vangor said to himself while he wrote down the details of his latest test in his notes.  After he had parted ways with Bella at the mall, Vangor had returned to his dorm to watch his favorite show, but on his way there, he had overheard a rumor that apparently, the staff was planning out some kind of talent show.  With an excuse to work on refining his techniques, he found himself at the academy's arena to practice his techniques and potentially find new ways to use them.

"Once I've gained new skills with my techniques, I shall captivate the masses in the talent show.  If I can't control them with fear, I'll dazzle them with my almighty power, and then people will just be lining up to become my minions.  Even that vampire won't be able to resist," Vangor said to himself, snickering a bit to himself thinking about stealing the show with his great and powerful talents.  Partway through, however, he paused as he recalled a part of his conversation with the countess.  'Still...it's important to have other things to put attention and time into. Foooor instance, hanging out with a friend and having a good time,' he remembered her saying back at the store at the mall.  "Friends, huh?" Vangor said to himself, holding up one of his hands in front of him.  For a moment, a pale blue light covered his arm, telling him his barrier had activated for that moment.  He shook his head, trying not to think too hard about it.  "Nonsense!  A dark necromancer such as myself needs no such thing as 'friends.'  Besides, no human would align themselves with a necromancer willingly.  Teacher told me of the risks of becoming a necromancer, after all," he went on to nobody in particular, pausing for a moment before returning to his notes.  "Perhaps I should just try to increase the power while trying to maintain the high speed.  Maybe the sphere needs to be bigger, too," he muttered, writing down more notes.

Karnis have been tasked with working together with someone from 1st year. There are plenty of cases where staff members arrange assignments between students of different years. The idea is to help build both relations, especially between humans and monsters, as well as one of the methods to spread out skills and knowledge. This time, the gazer girl and the human is going to work together on a short video about any topic regarding relations between monsters and humans. The gazer is both nervous and excited at once, for several things at once. Still, this is something that is expected of them to get done. After hearing where this Vangor might be at, she is finally told by head of security where to find him. So she wanders down there, clad in a regular tanktop that exposes her tummy, along with some denim short, that fits fairly tight. Once in the arena, she decides to watch him for a bit...at least wanting to see what he is up to.

Vangor set down his notebook and fired off another Shadowshot at the training dummy, trying to increase the piercing power of his attack while maintaining the sphere's speed.  Unlike the first sphere, the second one burned a hole in the target on the dummy, but still didn't tear straight through the dummy itself.  "Still not enough?  I could swear I increased the power.  Perhaps making the sphere bigger really is the right idea," Vangor said to himself, but as he reached for his notebook, he thought he caught sight of someone watching him.  He continued reaching for his notebook and got to work on his results, taking occasional glances in the direction of the person watching him as he wrote, muttering to himself about potential changes he might need to make.

Karnis watches a little bit more, just enough to get an idea what is happening. Hopefully they are not dangerous or anything and thus safe to approach. So she wanders over in a slow, but steady pace. She has no clue if he saw her yet, but she would rather not startle anyone able to throw potentially dangerous projectiles at her."Ohh...uhmm..h..hello there? Are you...uhmmm...Van-gur?", she asks slightly cautiously in the most adorable and soft voice.

Vangor's pen stopped moving when he, at least he thought, heard something that mostly resembled his name.  He lowered his notebook when he caught sight of a person he had never seen before.  He quickly put the notebook back up and continued writing his notes as he answered.  "I know nobody by such a name.  I am Vangor.  Now, do you have something you wish to ask of me?  As you can see, I am currently in the middle of very important work," Vangor replied.  In the back of his mind, however, he did feel like he was forgetting something important.  He had a feeling it was something a teacher had told him, but he couldn't totally recall what it was.

The gazer gets the sense that this person might not be very easy to talk to, especially from the lightly dismissive reply.'How was I supposed to know how to pronounce it? I only saw it in writing', she thinks to herself for a moment. Still, she does indeed have business with him and she aims to not get lectured by some old crockety staff members for missing it. She fiddles a little bit with her hands out of light anxiety. This is certainly not something she is used to dealing with."Uhhmm...I am Karnis...we were supposed to do...like a...uhhmm...video project together?", she says, almost questioning her own memory of it.

"Video project?  Why does that sound familiar?" Vangor questioned, racking his brain until he suddenly slammed his notebook closed when the memory finally came back to him.  "Ah, yes.  That's what I was forgetting.  That teacher approached me because I had not yet done a 'group project,' they called it.  A dark necromancer like myself has no need for such tasks, however," Vangor went on, finally turning his attention to Karnis.  He cleared his throat and pointed his notebook in her general direction.  "Be honored you have the chance to work with a great and powerful dark necromancer," Vangor said, pausing partway through as if he was trying to come up with more lines to spout out.

Karnis pulls out a small handheld video camera, showing further proof that this is indeed a thing they were to do."By the way, I am Karnis Montrax, nice to meet you Vangor. I hope we can have a fun time with it. Did you forget the theme we were to do too?", she says with a bit of teasing in her tone of voice. The gazer is even considering how they may use her powers as special effects if they need to.

Vangor didn't reply right away, as if he was thinking it over.  He crossed his arms over his chest and laughed a bit in his trademark way.  "But of course I remember the theme, but in order to make sure you are prepared, I should test you and ask you if you recall what the theme is," Vangor answered.  In reality, he had totally forgotten about the theme, let alone the fact he was supposed to be doing a video project in the first place instead of spending time refining his techniques.  At the same time, however, as he recalled the tone of voice Karnis used when asking him if he remembered, he recalled the vampire countess he had met earlier.

The gazer raises an eyebrow at this obvious attempt to try and test her out on the matter. It gives her, which is rare for her, an idea to indirectly call him out on his bullshit."Awwww, shucks...of course, I know that. The theme is 'monster girls slapping the silly out of forgetful numbskulls'. Quite weird, I know, but I think we can make it work", she says and smirks widely at her own genius, as well as put her hands on her sides to accentuate this point.

"You may try, but I have come across methods to avoid such tactics.  Go on, try and attack me if you wish," Vangor said.  While he (even though he won't admit it) lacks confidence in his physical abilities, he's fairly confidant in the strength of his barrier, and as a (self proclaimed) villain, he had no issues striking back if he needed to.  As he thought about it, however, he was beginning to feel as if the original discussion was derailing, which he had no problems with.  He was fairly sure of his grades in most subjects, so missing out on a single assignment shouldn't be too big a blow to his grades.