Who here has built their own PC?

I have enjoyed building my own computer, and like seeing what other people have built. Just a bit of an appreciation for the hobby.

I have:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700
GPU: NVidia GeForce 2070 Super
MOBO: MSI B450
RAM: 4x8 3200
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB, Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB
Case: NZXT H700

I mainly use it to game, and video edit.

• Community Administrator

Yep. I have; I recently "Upgraded" but this is my original topic on it back when I was called "Wolfie" around here:

I really need to update that topic (Although I have shitloads of computers around here, might add that to the topic soon, too). It might not be "The best in the world, ever!" but basically these are the specs to my main computer:

CPU: Intel Core-i7 8700K, cooled by a BeQuiet Darkrock 4 (Chonky) cooler with 2 fans.
GPU: NVidia GeForce 1080Ti (With 4K monitor)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: 4x 16GB DDR4 (64GB Total) @2666MHz
Storage:

• Samsung (NVMe) SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Main Drive)
  • Samsung (SATA) SSD 840 Pro Series 500GB (Network Drive)
  • Intel (SATA) SSDC2K256G8 256GB (Secondary Network Drive)
  • WDC WD4004FZWX 4TB (Steam/Mass Storage Drive)
  • WDC WD7500BPVT 750GB (Old Laptop HDD, Serving as a backup drive)
  • A free hotswap bay, so I can actually put any hard drive into it, even whilst the machine is on.

Case: Coolermaster HAF-X

I can't remember the PSU at the moment. No water cooling. NVMe has a pretty nice passive heatsink on it. Oh and to those that say, "Why do you have 64GB of RAM? That's completely over the top. You'll never come close to using all of that." I say bollocks to you:

unknown.png

So yeah. 😄 

I've built two PCs in my lifetime so far, one of which was made using the functional parts of my old build. The original build was purchased on a budget, and moments before AM4 was announced/released, which really pissed me off. My original build was:

AMD FX 6300 "six core" Vishera (it was just a 3 core that was hyperthreaded, despite AMD's persistent claims that the phrase "three core processor" engraved on the CPU was wrong) with stock cooling

ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 Mobo, dear god did it suck

Kingston HyperX Fury 4 GB DDR3 (I don't even remember the speed, it wasn't great) x2 for a total of 8 GB of RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 950, holy shit did I use that to death.

Seagate 2 TB HDD (it thinks It's an SSD, lol) that I still use to this day

EVGA 650W 80+ Gold PSU. Still using.

It worked considering, but holy shit was I mad when everything else came out right after. A few years later I upgraded to my current PC, which runs

Ryzen 7 2700X, with a Cooler Master Hyper 212X cooler (superChonk)

Asus ROG STRIX X470-F MOBO

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2400

EDIT: This has recently been upgraded to a 4 stick kit totaling 32 GB of RAM.

Zotac Geforce GTX 1070

Still using the same hard drive, but I now boot off of a Crucial MX300 SSD that is actually an SSD this time. Same with the Power Supply.

I've used them both for gaming in various intensities, as well as streaming and even 3D Rendering.

• Senior Staff

Here is my build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x, cooled by Noctua DH15 with 2 of Noctua Industrial series fans on it.

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula

RAM: 64GB of CORSAIR Low Profile 3200Mhz RAM

GPU: ASUS RTX 2080Ti STRIX OC

SSD: 1x Samsung 950Pro 1TB

HDDs: 3x WD 6TB Blacks, 1 WD 6TB Gold

PSU: 1200W Seasonic Platinum.

Case: Coolermaster COSMOS II Ultra Tower.

• 2 weeks later...

CPU: I7-9700k cooled by Corsair H115i AIO. 
Motherboard: Z390 gaming plus. 
Ram: Corsair rgb pro 4x32 3200Mhz
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
SSD: Corsair Force Series M.2 ssd 500gb
HDD: WD blue 1tb
PCU: HXI series, HX100i
Case: Cooler master h500

Really built this so the unicorn puke inside could be matched. Hence all the Corsair parts. Know there are a lot better things out there. But for something i was gunna spend this much money on, wanted to be matchy matchy or my ocd brain would have tried to kill me. The only reason the case isn't from Corsair is cause I live upstairs that is not insulated well so when it gets hot, it gets fucking hot. So went with something with a bit more airflow. 

Archived