The Pool

"Maybe we should just hang out for now," Zero replied, but before he could say anything else, his stomach growled.  He froze in place, both figuratively and literally in that moment.  He had been caught up in things that he had not eaten anything since the previous night.  He was at a loss for words, slowly looking away from Nadia as he tried to think of something to say.

"N-no, it's fine!  I'll go take care of it," Zero quickly said, waving his hands in front of him.  "After all, you listened to me blather on and on.  This is the least I can do to repay you, Nadia.  I was always told to repay my debts, after all.  'It's the duty of a warrior,' my old man would say," Zero added.

After getting his burger, Zero ate it incredibly quickly, like a starving man who had not eaten in days.  He had next to zero time to savor the flavor.  "Geez, even though it was only an hour, yesterday's job must've left me too busy to eat something.  So, what other places do they have around here, anyway?" Zero said.

"I see,," Zero simply replied.  "You know, it's still a bit weird to think about it.  I know this place is vastly different from where I come from, but I can't help but try making parallels.  I must seem pretty weird, not knowing much about computers and hot tubs and things like that," he added.

"It's a bit of a long story," Zero said before he cleared his throat and began to explain himself.  "Where I come from, things like magical powers and supernatural monsters are real, but most of the common folk don't know, or at least, didn't know about them for a long time.  My folks knew about these things and raised me to fight...but I never found out the reason why.  A lot happened, and I never really had much of a chance to live a normal life.  I was mostly home schooled and only spent a couple of months at a public high school after I moved to my uncle's house, but after some things happened, I barely had the chance to do things normal people would be able to do," Zero explained, but it was very clear there were details he was either straight up not adding in on purpose or extremely summarizing the events in question.  "When you asked me about my powers, I wasn't being fully honest with you.  There is more I can do, but it would be too dangerous to show it off," Zero added.

“You don’t have to then,” Nadia says. “I have a lot of experience on stuff like this. In this world, I very one knows about powers but no one knows why people have them. I can stretch but I don’t think my parents could, wherever they are. Not to brag but I’m also strong.” She looks at the pool to see the sleeping Stephanie. “Hey, I know her....”

'Why people have them, huh?  I never really thought of it.  I was always told everyone is born with power and needs to awaken to it before they can use it, but is that really the only way?' Zero thought.  While Zero was lost in his thoughts, he turned his attention towards the pool when he heard Nadia speak.  "Is that a friend of yours or something?" Zero asked.

"A goddess?  Are you sure about that?  She looks human in every possible way.  Maybe my senses are just off in this place or something," Zero replied.  'Then again, looks can be deceiving.  A run of the mill scientist who doesn't look suspicious could easily be capable of doing terrible things even if he comes off as unsuspecting...'