Discussion

12 hours ago, Nan-Yo said:

Maybe multi-part challenge could work? A Christmas challenge where everyone participating have to write a 12 chapter long story and post a chapter every second day.  Each chapter would be based on The 12 Days of Christmas.

I could barely get people to participate in a 3-part Halloween challenge. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IsabellaRose said:

I could barely get people to participate in a 3-part Halloween challenge. 

I would have participated but let's just say that I have some troubles right now. A christmas event sounds nice but again, I'd need to be in the right mental space to write something and this part is not easy. BUT positively speaking, you all should still do it. Just for fun. Regardless.

Edited by Goddess Aurora

I've always thought an announcement system would help, but the site - and one of the reasons like it so much - is designed with an eye to privacy. There's no system to send a message to all the members of a club.

The site admins seem disinclined to let us use the community news space for these kind of announcements as it's not actually about the community. 

Everyone posting a status on their wall as they submit a story or see a challenge announced is probably the second best thing we can do. The best being submit stories, talk about the difficulties and joys we faced writing it.  The more active we are, the more interest out club garners. The more involved we are the more attractive our club.

If we treat this like a virtual writers' commune, that's exactly what it will become.

As for frequency, i think a biweekly challenge is plenty. It gives the managers time to think of ideas, people to come up with ideas and execute them.

Here's my suggestion for a holiday challenge: Black Peter or Krampus. Krampusnacht is fair game too, I guess. Perhaps we do that now so the voting is going on for the 6th?

It is perfectly possible to send a PM that you address to multiple people at the same time, though? Especially if you are a Platinum member. A Platinum can send a pm to 18 Recipients. So you if say you had 36 members, you could simply send two separate pms, each one to 18 of the members. and then you could reuse these messages every time you need to send an announcement.

It is just a qeustion for Tema. Is it forbidden by the rules to use the PM service like this? Or is it okay to do Tema?

18 hours ago, WritesNaughtyStories said:

There's no way for members to opt in or out. Even if there were list management tools, it would run counter to the community's ethos.

If you wanted to opt out, you could simply say: I don't want the reminder, and then you would be removed from the PM group. I'm not sure what ethos you are talking about?

Edited by Nan-Yo

5 hours ago, Nan-Yo said:

If you wanted to opt out, you could simply say: I don't want the reminder, and then you would be removed from the PM group. I'm not sure what ethos you are talking about?

Honestly, it doesn't matter what he's talking about, because managing that is not what I signed up for when I started this group. I'm not going to send messages to all members.

Winners of challenge 25 have been posted! @SataiRolePlayingGuy wins the last of the 3 Halloween challenges!

A new challenge will be posted soon. There will be two choices of topic - either write about colonists meeting the indigenous people in the land their colonizing (or anything around the theme of colonialism) OR write something where the first sentence starts with the words "I'm thankful for"

That's a heads up for anyone reading. I'll get the challenge up soon. I'll hopefully also get 2 holiday challenges up - 1 the first couple weeks of Dec, one that will probably run through the end of the month.

1 hour ago, NyxAvatar69 said:

I just want to point towards the next challenge saying 3 choices, but there are only two ideas.  I don't know if I'll have an entry up due to slacker status and Scrubs S5 still ongoing (unless I lose my race), but we'll see.

I had two, wanted to add a third, deleted it, but left the refence to it. Curse my ADHD brain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reference to a few challenges back, when Aura was the only one who wrote, getting all the prizes as a result.  Though Isabella changed the prize system with the last one, so I was only going to get the first place prize and would not get the complete experience either way.

That was why I wanted to write it down. I was just making judgement calls based on what made sense in my brain at that time, but I didn't want anyone to think I was treating them unfairly.

That being said, I think you were the only entry, so you win. I'll post you in the winner thread and send credits soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...