Dark ages.

53 minutes ago, Thatannoyinggod said:

When Deaca arrived at the monastery, he waved to the monk on night duty. "Good evening and God's grace upon you, brother. I am Deaca. I am on a pilgrimage, and I ask for shelter for the evening in your parish." He gave a small bow with his head and made certain the monk could see his crucifix. His feet were sore and tired weariness was beginning to weigh upon him. 

The younger monk gives him a gentle smile and bow back."Welcome to Duskhill monastery brother. Luckily, we have a few empty rooms for guests that you may use. Please, do come inside and let us get you some needed rest. It is good to see another member from beyond this town", he politely responds and offers Deaca to come inside and within 10 minutes or so, the travelling monk has been shown one of the meager, but still useful chambers for guests.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time passes by and everyone in the village, except those up on guard duty, are asleep in their respective places, aiming to find rest for the night and hopefully be refreshed the follow morning. There is a quietness over Duskhill and with nothing at all going on. Pretty much every day is like this - quiet and tranquil. The most noise coming from the animals that are active during the night and the occassional footsteps of the guards as they walk around. The stream that runs near town gives a soft bubbling noise as well, adding to the idyllic rural symphony.

Among those slumbering peacefully we have @Cash Money Chad @Nafarman @Neptune and @Thatannoyinggod. All of which are surely also in need of proper rest, with a few of them being travellers.

However,  everything doesn't stay quiet forever.

A scream pierces the night's peace and quiet, alerting some of the townspeople, but naturally people here are not ones to emerge out into potential danger and leaving that to the guards. Then it happens again...this time more muffled than before, as if the person is being muffled.

The blacksmith @Cash Money Chad soon have someone loudly and erratically pound on his front door with all of their might. Everyone else, rven the monk @Thatannoyinggod are immediately woken up by the shrieking. The screams sounded almost...unnatural, as weird as it sounds.

Optional ambience music:

Spoiler

Edited by JennyDK
  • Woohoo 1

Upon hearing the blood curdling scream, Brother Deaca woke up immediately. He opened the door to the hallway and looked out, seeing many other monks looking around and asking what the noise was. Brother Deaca did a hand motion of the crucifix. "God be with the poor soul that made that noise." The monk made his way out of the church to find the source of of noise, making sure to bring his bag of supplies with him. 

• Like 1

The black smith was now feeling worn out and fatigued the to point where his work would suffer if he kept at it, meaning that it was time for him to go to bed then wake up to get right back at it again. He laid down in his little make shift bed and closed his eyes, but not an hour had assed before he heard and loud banging at the door. His eyes shot open weariness and fury washing over him as he dragged his aching sore body out of bed to get the door." SHUT UP I HEAR YOU!!! I'm coming I'm coming!" The black smith swung open the door but was immediately aroused by the blood curdling scream.

Edited by Cash Money Chad
  • Like 1

• Community Administrator

Once Winchester had settled his horse into the stables, and purchased a room. The bed was a little more lumpy than he would like, but he was able to fall asleep quite easily, excited for the work he intended on doing the next day. However his rest wasn't as peaceful as he had hoped. He was awoken in the dead of the night by the loud shrieking. He jumped awake, immediately reaching for the sword that was resting against the bed, "What in the name of the Queen?" He cursed softly. He pulled himself from the bed, dressing himself quickly and picking up his sword which he clipped onto his belt. He left his room, heading down the stairs, looking around to see if the innkeeper was awake.

On 25/03/2021 at 14:54, Thatannoyinggod said:

Upon hearing the blood curdling scream, Brother Deaca woke up immediately. He opened the door to the hallway and looked out, seeing many other monks looking around and asking what the noise was. Brother Deaca did a hand motion of the crucifix. "God be with the poor soul that made that noise." The monk made his way out of the church to find the source of of noise, making sure to bring his bag of supplies with him. 

Surprisingly, there is no commotion or other monks up and about, despite what Deaca experienced and what woke him up. Instead, the monastery is silent as ever when it's night time. The monk on night duty is nowhere near Deaca on his way out of there and is most likely in a different part of the place. The road towards the village is not very long, but it still takes a few minutes to walk even, even in a brisk pace.

On 02/04/2021 at 15:48, Neptune said:

Once Winchester had settled his horse into the stables, and purchased a room. The bed was a little more lumpy than he would like, but he was able to fall asleep quite easily, excited for the work he intended on doing the next day. However his rest wasn't as peaceful as he had hoped. He was awoken in the dead of the night by the loud shrieking. He jumped awake, immediately reaching for the sword that was resting against the bed, "What in the name of the Queen?" He cursed softly. He pulled himself from the bed, dressing himself quickly and picking up his sword which he clipped onto his belt. He left his room, heading down the stairs, looking around to see if the innkeeper was awake.

As he makes his way into the main room of the inn, the place seems deserted and quiet. By now, it's lights out and only the moonlight provides a subtle, yet still sufficient lighting into the room. There are no other noises other than those made by Winchester. Not even the horse in the stable is making any noise at all. Outside of the windows, the patrol is not to be seen either, at least from what he can currently see.

On 29/03/2021 at 06:14, Cash Money Chad said:

The black smith was now feeling worn out and fatigued the to point where his work would suffer if he kept at it, meaning that it was time for him to go to bed then wake up to get right back at it again. He laid down in his little make shift bed and closed his eyes, but not an hour had assed before he heard and loud banging at the door. His eyes shot open weariness and fury washing over him as he dragged his aching sore body out of bed to get the door." SHUT UP I HEAR YOU!!! I'm coming I'm coming!" The black smith swung open the door but was immediately aroused by the blood curdling scream.

The door swings open easily and fast, but as the outside is revealed, he sees no one is there. Instead, there is a lot of blood upon the ground, the door and other surroundings. Beyond that, there are clear tracks on the ground of something having been dragged. From the looks of it, it is in the direction of the nearby river. The night patrol is also nowhere to be seen at all and no one else else is outside either, leaving the scene even more eerie and mysterious.

OPTIONAL BACKGROUND MUSIC:

Spoiler

• Like 1

" FUCKING KIDS!" the black smith exclaimed then he heard the scream just before he opened the door. but when he glanced down his irritation turned to dread and panic. Eyes locked on the puddle of blood at his feet before they followed the trail that lead to the near by river.  His heart sank so low he could feel it pumping in his shoes, going back inside and getting an axe and a mallet. His face expressionless mouth a gape thinking only that if he had not tarried that poor person could have been spared such a grizzly fate.  He stepped outside nervous, dreadful, and afraid; there were no guards in sight and for all he knew it could have been one of the guards that was killed by whatever animal this was. As far as he was concerned he was alone. He wanted to call out for help but if he did he might alert the beast to his presence, scaring it off or worse giving it the chance to catch him off guard.

Edited by Cash Money Chad

Winchester paused as he stepped through the threshold into the main room, his stomach stirring in unease. It was very quiet. Normally, such a quiet would be peaceful, however this was the kind of quiet that raised the hair on the back of his neck. There was not even the buzzing of nighttime insects, as if they were too afraid to reveal themselves. It gave a sense of warped reality, as if he wasn't truly awake. However as he gripped the pommel of his sword, it felt all too real. His eyes slid towards the window, gazing out into the night time stillness. Slowly, he made his way to the front door of the Inn, undoing the latch and opening it up to step outside, ready to draw his sword the moment he saw any kind of danger. He looked around, every nerve screaming at him that something wasn't quite right.

• Like 1

Malcom groans having been abruptly awoken by the two shrieking loud screams echoing through the town in the dead of the night, which is soon followed by the cacophony of numerous riled animals reverberate throughout his home and outside in the fenced in yard near the river. He drags himself out of bed as he grumbles out, "Alright already I hear you squabbles and panic you noise lot" as he throws on his tattered brown cloak before taking a few pieces of flint from his wobbly wooden table. He shambles over to the hearth built into the left of his home as he fumbles as he strikes the two pieces of flint together starting a fire in the stone hearth to allow a small fire to begin glowing in the hearth illuminating the room in a dull hue of oranges, reds and yellows as he slowly walks around to the different cages and animals soothing them down. Once he has calmed the animals located inside the hut mainly composed of the different birds, he grabs his trusty iron lantern left to him by his father and heads outside to investigate what has spooked the different animals by making the noise along with quieting down the other animals kept outdoors using the lantern to light his way grumbling, "I swear if those damn kids hurt my animals.... they are gonna get some choice words from me" as he peers out into the night with the lantern held out in front of him.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although his axe was in hand the terrifying sight of blood stroon about the area,dripping onto the dirt streets and dewy grass from splatters that litter the surrounding area. Fear and paranoia took hold in mind, hastily trying to make sense of it all. The mess of blood looked like the work of a vicious animal but the fact that it killed the person at the door so silently as to not even make a growl suggests something far more methodical than anything he had read about in his personal library or even the library of the church say of some demonic creature or apparition, but surely such things do not exist outside of tales from the superstitious? The poor black Smith couldn't even venture beyond his porch he was so frightened and plagued with doubt. Literally shaking with fear and indecision. Then an epiphany, should he venture beyond his cottage it was best to gather as many weapons as he could to arm survivors. This may make him an obvious target but what decent person would allow someone to roam unarmed at time like this. He gathered a bundle of swords and axes and decided to head straight for the Inn to begin arming the already assembled survivors. After he rushed out the door he ran straight for Inn but saw a glowing lantern along the way. "Make haste to the inn!" He shouted into the night before going inside and slamming the door behind him.

The silence of the night was broken when he heard the hurried footsteps of a heavy set man. He peered out into the dark towards the source of the sound, before the figure of the blacksmith was revealed by the lantern that hung by the door. It seemed however, that the blacksmith had not noticed him standing near the door of the inn, as the man ran past him and into the common area, slamming the door behind him. Winchester was startled for a moment before he frowned. What had happened to cause such a panic in what he had thought of as a firm and sturday craftsmen? He opened up the inn door again and stepped back inside, raising his voice so that he was sure to be heard by the panicked man, "What in the Queen's name is going on here? What are all these screams and panic about?"

• Like 1

At noticing the undisturbed church, Deaca slowed his movement. "What is going on here?" He made sure to still have his supplies on him as he moved out from the church. When he stepped out, he looked to the monk on guard and gave him a sad face. "Excuse me, I couldn't sleep. Did you hear..." He was about to ask if the monk had heard anything until he heard a familiar voice yell out to someone to go to the inn. The priest immediately rushed to the direction, looking to see if anyone else was moving that way too.

Quick GM note: Since all the active players are fully back and such, we will resume the old post etiquette with one post from each and me "stepping in" when needed.

The only people the trio has seen be up and around so far, is the monk on night duty, but before he could even answer the visiting monk, he is left behind at the monastery.

It doesn't take long before the blacksmith, the monk and former army officer meet up at the inn. Still, silence has once more found the small village, the screaming clearly either having spoked everyone or they have not woken up by it. In either case, the only people around are the three. The former captain did notice a faint blood trail on the ground as he went for the inn to find the blacksmith of Duskhill.

• Love 2

Malcom blinks in surprise as he hears the shout about making haste to the tavern in town as he peers into the darkness holding onto his lantern as he begins to reply back, “What is going on?” As he stands at his front door investigating the disturbance before quickly heading off into town toward the tavern in hoping to find out what is going on with all the commotion this evening as he looks into the darkness with the lantern hoping to spot anything for more information.

• Like 2

It was hard for the black smith was near catatonic buy what he saw except for the quivering of his lip, he couldn't wrap his mind around what could have possibly done such a terrible thing but he he tried to explain as best he could just what he saw and hear, and didn't hear." T Th There was a  erratic banging on my door, and before I could open the door I hear a terrible scream, then blood, blood everywhere it was all over my porch and my cottage, the houses next to mind and the ones next to mine, Something was able to strike someone dead and drag the body to the river in the span of me grabbing a door knob, I can't fathom what could have done such a thing. and it made no sound  not a growl nor sound of foot steps..I'm just in shock, but here all I could think to do was make sure we were all gathered together and armed. You may need a bigger sword so please take one, noble man if you feel you need it." He rambled as his heart raced," I have not seen the guards have you?" The black smith panicked and tried to calm him self down as best he could, breathing deeply and staying paused in reflection waiting for any questions the noble or any others might have.

• Like 2

Winchester frowned as he listened to the blacksmiths rambling words, drinking in the information that he was providing. Clearly there was something causing trouble out there and it wasn't too much of a stretch to assume that the trouble he was talking about, was related to the screaming that had woken him up. To the offer to take a bigger sword, Winchester merely shook his head. His longsword was perfectly capable, and he had many years experience weilding the weapon. It was what he was comfortable using, and picking up another weapon was likely to unbalance him. It was a weapon he trusted, and thus it was what he was going to continue using, "I have not seen the guards. But then, the furthest I have gotten is just outside the front door which is when you arrived on the scene." He turned back to the door, looking out into the darkness before his eyes trained themselves on the blood trail. Before he could say anything, others arrived on the scene and he observed them for a moment before he looked towards the Blacksmith and said, "There's blood outside of the tavern. I was awoken by a scream, but everything was quiet when I came down, and there were no guards outside."

• Like 2

After a short while with the trio standing there and exchanging words, do the two guards finally arrive on the scene. They look pretty calm and with their weapons still sheated."What is this commotion in the middle of the night? Why are you up at this time of night?", one of them speaks to them. Nothing about the guards really seem to stick out or give reason for alarm either. It is as if these screams were possibly not heard by them, judging from their lack of reaction or drawn weapons. Instead, they seem more concerned with the blacksmiths and two strangers out here in the open at the middle of the night.

• Like 2

Malcolm shuffles uncomfortable as he looks at the group along with the two guards that have arrived as he is reclusive spending most of time in the woods or with his animals as he arrives shortly before the guards with his lantern dangling in his hand at his side. He stutters out in a mumble, “I heard a commotion outside and was checking on my hunting birds” as he glances at the around the group before stating, “heard a shout about the inn n made haste hear” as he rubs his forearm shuffling again uncomfortable about dealing with people.

• Like 2

"There was a commotion at door then a scream. By the time I opened the door there was noting but blood! Blood everywhere! Several houses away, and a trail of blood leading to the river. So I bundled some weapons and ran here to make sure no one was on the street unarmed. Now that the guards have arrived the area and the trail of blood can be investigated. " The Black Smith said to the crowd having calmed down somewhat.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Brother Deaca listened as the blacksmith and the other stranger seemed to have experienced strange events similar to his own that night. When the guards approached, he let out a small sigh of relief, thinking that they might have heard the disturbance as well, until he realized they didn't look as disturbed as they should have been. The monk addressed the guard who spoke, explaining the situation just as the others had done. "I was resting for the night in the monastery when I heard the most terrible shriek. I found it odd that none of my fellow brothers of the cloth heard it, so I came out to see if anyone else had. That was when I found that these men had a similar story." The priest kept his hands visible to the side, not wishing to cause any alarm or be accosted for something he was not guilty of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

(Nata)

The village is typical of those through which I have passed in this bucolic country: a few rough houses, church and tavern, sleeping in quiet solitude. The hay cart stops for me to disembark -well, sort of slide inelegantly off the prickly hay - and departs in unseemly, and perhaps worrisome, haste.

Indeed this place is as strange as was spoken off in the county town: its lines and shadows oddly disturbing, and an almost inaudible deep low almost rhythmic hum. An epicentre, perhaps,  of that unknown of which I heard tell in now distant Florence.

But the huddle in the street are focused not on the strangeness of the place but in some anecdote: so focused, indeed,  that none have noted the cart nor my own person. Quietly, so as not to spark alarm, and in my best - but still poor - imitation of the local rough accent, I clear my throat and make my presence known:

"Mi scusi: halo"

• Woohoo 1

GM: I will just give a very quick summary of what has happened so far and give one or two needed comments before anyone posts again.

Summary:
The otherwise quiet and tranquil village of Duskhill is normally not the place for gruesome stuff happening, but during the night certain people, newcomers and residents, have experienced something awful. They have heard a loud scream that woke them from their slumber, yet once outside no one is there but the normal routine night watch. Though there is a trail of blood leading from the door near the blacksmith.

Comment: Just to everyone new to multi-user stories - try and let every person get a chance to write a post before you write your next one. For instance, if a story has 4 investigators in it,  there should be 3 other posts before your next one. I will of course also make posts, but only when needed.

• Love 2

One must take care when in pursuit of heresy and the profane. Many of God's faithful have been swallowed and destroyed by the very thing they sought to destroy. This was the final warning Vincent was given before being allowed to pursue his own investigations into the threats of evil that have brought him to Duskhill.

Hooves beating quietly on the road as a new stranger came to the once quiet village of Duskhill. The visage of a holy inquisitor brought calm to some, but dread to many as the black horse and it's rider entered the town square in the dark of night. The horse whinnied in anxiousness at it seemed to feel the rider's expectation for violence. Vincent dismounted without a word as he looked around the square, the cross of the church shone brightly from the chord around his neck. Sword resting nervously on his back as the inquisitor tied his his horse off to the pillory, an offering of justice and punishment.

Finally the eyes of the inquisitor looked to each person who seemed oddly active for it being so late at night. Having no idea how ill fated the timing of his arrival was.

Curiosity had set in quickly as the inquisitor approached the monk first as a brother in Christ may be able to answer his questions more level headed than the local peasantry or the guards for that matter. "Buongiorno, little brother. Awfully late to tend to the masses isn't it? What has everyone so disturbed?"

It was here at such close proximity that he lifted his wide brimmed hat to reveal softer than expected eyes. He turned to inspect the blacksmith and the others as they each told similar stories, a smile crept onto his face before turning to the simplest conclusion. "If so many heard nothing and the same, then perhaps it would put everyone at ease if we looked into it. Let's not take too long, I would like to find sleep before the sun rises."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Malcolm sighs as he looks at the two new comers as he replies, “what intelligence is there in investigating the town or the surrounding forest at night?” As he motions into the darkness and calmly rasps out, “My own experience with these woods has taught my family not to go into the woods at night. Its when the apex predators come out and I can guarantee whatever caused the trail is either a large predator not scared of humans….” He briefly holds his cracked lantern up to get a better look at the new comers as he turns his attention back to the town guard that was questioning them.

• Love 1

The town guards are surprised to see so many people up at this late and seemingly having no reason to be wandering about. Of course, they have no reason to really report anything or harbor suspicion as nothing has been to warrant such beyond the odd behaviour. One of them remains quiet, letting his partner deal with the situation, only aiming to step in should things turn bad. It is fairly strange to see so many outsiders be here, but as long as they do not cause trouble they are free to stay. The merchant Gerhard will surely want to try and make profit off of them if he can, but that is none of his concern either. The vocal guard looks over the group of people who has directed their attention towards the conversation."If there is an issue you think we need to investigate, please lead us to it...if there is danger afoot, we suggest you be careful".

• Love 1
  • Woohoo 1