Dark ages.

The black smith left his cashe of weapons behind in case any unarmed villagers needed a weapon, arming him self with a sword and the axe he carried for him self. Perhaps Malcom was right maybe such a thing was too a dangerous to investigate and should ve left alone, but still people were dying at the claws of something that could shed so quickly and vanish without a trace. Whatever this is it should at least be identified and the remains buried. This thought gave him a renewed resolve as he lead the guards to his work shop. "You should be able to see the blood soon. I have to warn you it is quite a sight."

• Like 1

The Inquisitor's presence disturbs me: that one such has been attracted all the way to this backwater both confirms my own interest but I fear the formal ferocity of the Church when roused will disturb the more ancient, subtler, evils that may be surfacing here. Blood and screams, violence and noise, are the stuff of Inquisition: they draw it, and it in turn feeds them: here, it is the deeper changes I seek - subtle sounds not screams, horror hidden by terror, evil so deep that it twists the very fabric of the world. I shrink back into the shadows, away from the Inquisior's soft but searching gaze.

• Love 1

The inquisitor felt eyes on him and turned his attention towards Nata. He was about to bring a question to her when the blacksmith spoke out of blood and drew his attention once more. Stiffening his neck, Vincent turned to the guards one last time and forcefully taking a torch from one of them and holding it aloft his shoulder. "No need to inform his holiness of my arrival, nor the baron... my presence here is a personal one. But if a murder has taken place, I would see to the safety of this hamlet before bedding down."

With no further need of the guards for the time being, seeing as how they lacked the stones to follow the blacksmith, the inquisitor had taken position behind the larger man, torch at the ready to bring light to the investigation.

Malcolm sighs at the notion about the investigation of the strange blood trail near the blacksmith’s house and the distinct lack of the guards appearance to be helpful in thr situation. He steps up next to the blacksmith as he comments, “Well if this leads into the woods your gonna need someone experienced in navigating them and experienced with the local wildlife” as he holds up his old worn lantern. He looks up at the blacksmith, “Could you see if the blood trail went to the water, the bridge or outskirts of town?”

As the four persons walk together with the guards towards the spot the blacksmith pointed out, the guard retrieves his torch once more, with a slightly annoyed expression."I will look past that this time due to the nature of this case and urgency, but I must insist on you not taking stuff without permission. You are lucky I am in a good mood today", he says, before his face returns to normal and they make the final stretch.

The scene they arrive to, is like what was described, as blood is lightly splattered onto the door, a pool on the ground and finally a trail leading towards the river and where the fisherman lives. The guards look over the area and then towards the four people who are out and about."Folks. Thanks for you pointing this out to us. We cannot garantuee your safety if you follow us, but we will not stop you from doing so. Malcolm and Bartalis...please help keep an eye on the outsiders too if they wish to investigate too", the guard says.

The trail does eventually lead the 6 (or however many follows) of them towards the edge of the riverbank where it just suddenly stops nearby a large and dense bush which is also drenched in blood splatter.

• 2 months later...

Malcolm looks over at the guard at his request about watching the outsiders as he follows behind the guards before glancing at the others as he replies, “Not a problem sir, since it is a bit concerning for new arrivals to appear at the dead of night shortly after a questionable incident” as he glances down at the blood trail to look for any tracks, footprints, or evidence that might help identify the attacker/victim.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The black smith has to think for a moment, he is a civilian, but the fisherman is a friend and if his hand cold save a life even at the cost of his own then it is a venture worth taking, so he opts to go. "I shall go with you, but head this this creature whatever it may be is unnaturally quick and silent. I hesitated for a but a second and failed to see it, so if we move we move close and let no one stray lest we be plucked from this word without so much a whimper from our dying lips. Agreed?!" The black smith shook with fear, not of the unknown but from what he did know, the men around him were so sure of them self so sure that this was an earthly beast, but only he knew what it was truly capable of and experienced it's horror for him self. With determination the black smith steadied his hand, ready for what every may come.

• 4 weeks later...

Malcolm rubs his chin at the mention of the creature being swift and silent as he tries to think of a beast that would fit the category that would be willing to risk nearing the village even at night. He nods his head in agreement as he replies, “hunting the beast in a group would be best since it is night out and light will be limited along with the beast being unknown” as he glances around the area shining the lantern around the group.

The two guards are not too happy about the situation, but that is of course to be expected as this place is very peaceful most of the time, with the occasional bar brawl or minor incident happening from time to time."Allright, folks. Stay close and let us not split up, lest we may suffer any ill fate that lies out there", one of them speaks, trying to keep things under calm and under control, as much as it is possible.

They all follow the trail of blood that the blacksmith has been seeing, which eventually leads them towards the softly bubbling river, near the fishing hut. So far, there is no noises beyond those naturally produced by animals and the elements of nature itself. The guards look around a bit, but seeing nothing out of the ordinary.

However, Malcolm @DrMender notices something as he also scouts the area. Hanging from a slightly broken branch on a bush is a small medallion with an odd sort of symbol on it that he has never seen before;

Spoiler

yellowsign.jpg

Malcolm pauses in sweep of the surrounding area as they start to enter the forrest his second home and place of solitude before his curious eyes lie a strange yellow amulet with a symbol he has never seen in his life time. He calls out to the others as he asks, “Has anyone seen this symbol before as I am mot sure this is a beast we are hunting” as he brushes his finger tips against the strange yellow sigil hanging from the branch entranced by the eldritch item.

• 3 weeks later...

"It looks like a glyph from a city cult, this might explain how the bodies disappeared so fast. There could be a group of them." The black smith felt a bit of relief from the possibility that what they were looking for was not some supernatural creature but rather a very natural cult doing unnatural things. He continued to look around with the others for any clues as to what they are doing to these bodies. He see's Malcolm staring at the symbol and nudges his shoulder, "Maybe we should check out the inside of this hut."

• Like 1

Malcolm snaps out of his musing about the strange sigil as he stuffs the sigil into his coat pocket, while he nods with a soft, “Oh uh umm yeah that sounds like a good idea” as he looks around the area trying to find the mentioned hut. He asks curiously, “What hut are you talking about since as far as I know there shouldn’t be any intact hut in this area maybe buried ruins” as he drags his hooded lantern around in front of himself looking through the thicket and under brush.

"It isn't the most well kept place but I know someone lives there. Perhaps just a peek to make sure he is gone, we shouldn't venture too far from the guards anyway." He said with a slight crackle is his voice the from the eerie silence sending slight chills down his spine. His sword was up and ready as he walked by Maclom's side through the brush, keeping his back to him so that should he swing his blade Malcom should not be in it's path. Periodically stepping in front to cleave away any brush that was too tick to step through.

The guards briefly check the scenery, but finds no clues and thus it seems pointless to stumble further into a potential trap or danger as the woods and such are not exactly the safest place at night."Allright. SAdly, it seems like we cannot conclude much or find any leads under these circumstances. We advice you two you to return to your homes soon. Tomorrow it will be easier to start looking into this incident", one of the guards tell the men before leaving.

The two men are soon left alone and with the freedom to stick around outside if they want or to leave for home once more. They seem eager to get close to the fisherman's hut. Luckily, it is very nearby and right out in the open. There are the usual nets hanging outside of the small cabin where the local fisherman makes his home. Since there are no vegetation hindering the two, they are able to get as close to it as they feel like without trouble.

Meanwhile, the absence of the guards, leaves them fully out and more vulnerable as the dead silence of the night fills the air once more. The lack of one more/all torches, leaves the two men with little to no light at all, depending on whether or not they have a light source at hand at this present time.

Malcolm holds the lantern in front of the duo as they had been walking through the thicket as the clearing of the fisherman's hut stands before them, which his attention is drawn to the guards that have decided to return to the city leaving them with only whatever moonlight or starlight is available and his singular hooded oil lantern that is lit. At the mention of investigating the hut causes him to feel rather foolish to have forgotten about the local fisherman's hut that he would frequently past as he hums softly to himself replying out, "Well might not be a bad idea to investigate but I don't think we would have the guards with us since they are leaving back to town" as he glances over at the blacksmith and watching the guards disappear back into the forest towards town. He would thumb the strange sigil in his pocket as he chews on his bottom lip slightly and replies, "Or we could go to the local church and see anyone recognizes that strange sigil we found, but we should at least check to see if the fisherman is home and not need of help?" as though he is trying to convince himself to investigate the dark lightless cabin.

The black smith one again felt the tension of the situation when the guards left, "It's best we don't make a full investigation until morning." He said with a nervous tamer in his weary voice. "We should go see if there was any sign of a struggle or any clues that might indicate that cultists might be using the place..if we find anything we should report it to the town guard..if not I'm going to rent a room at the inn for the night to have safety in numbers...and to make sure everyone can protect them selves of of course." He said with a nervous laugh, making his way closer to the cabin along side Malcolm, keeping his sword upright and at the ready. His reflection in the yellowish glow of the lamp relaying a fear not to apparent on his world worn face. For he is trying to mask it as best he can through a stem expression. The tension was palpable as they drew closer to the cabin, creeping up the stairs with a hushed cautiousness that made each creak up the stairs cut through the silent night air. Sword at the ready the black smith nodded for Malcolm to open the door."Have your light at the ready so I may see inside, but be clear of the blade lest something lunges for us."

Edited by Cash Money Chad
  • Like 1

Malcolm would nod his head in understanding at the suggestion of making sure that everything was ok with the fisherman's cabin and that no one was inside the building as he replies, "Sounds good to me about not doing a thorough search of the building" as he shifts slightly uncomfortable about the eerie silence of the forest. He whispers out to the blacksmith as he replies, "certainly though I don't like this forest being this silent.... its never this silent from my own experience out here" as he turns his attention to the blacksmith at the mention of holding the lantern at the ready and being off to the side out of the way. He would gulp slightly as shake slightly nervously from the creaking noise from the wooden stairs as he replies, "You got it" since he was thankful to hold the lantern with his left hand. He would step out of the way holding the lantern above the blacksmith's right shoulder out of the way before he would reach down making sure to stay out of the way to try opening the door quietly pushing it open. His lantern is positioned in a way to allow the light to illuminate the area in front of them as Malcolm's attention is on the door and staying out of the blacksmith's way.

Edited by DrMender

Whilst darkeness and night out here is plenty creepy and foreboding normally, there are no noises out there, besides a faint bubbling of the river nearby, which would otherwise compete with the other sounds of the night. Not even the otherwise dominant, but occassional hooting of owls reaches the little party near the riverside cabin. The cabin appears as it always does to the two of them, the fisherman named Jimmy living inside and likely being fast asleep or at least keeping himself safe inside at this hour. Trying to open the door inside soon makes it clear that it is locked.

"It's locked..."The Black Smith debated on whether they should look through the windows or just go back into town, gripped with fear he contemplated the possibility of being ambushed. Be it caution or cowardous he decided that they should head back into town and wait until day light and for support. "W We should go back, the town guard has left us alone out here it isn't safe." His eyes were clearly fearful, "Maybe just a peek in the window, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't do all I can." He kicked himself for his words, but it wouldn't be right to just let a man die like that. He gripped his sword tight to keep from shaking and with a heavy sigh he wandered over to the window sword ready "You lead the way I'll watch your back, no matter what we see we head back to the village right away. I already have a bad feeling about all this." Tension filled his body and thoughts of them being ambushed filled his mind. His brow had begun to sweat and fear ran down his spine. Now taking in how it was too quiet, the air was filled with dread but he tried to take some comfort in the fact that it was so quiet that if someone or something was stalking them they would have no better chance of hearing it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the tense eerie lack of sound and the encroaching darkenss enveloped around them with only his lantern providing any light, Malcolm would shiver slightly in fear as the hair on the back of neck started raise slightly causing him to gulp slightly responding softly in a whisper, "yeah... It appears to be locked". At the mention of heading back into town after trying to look into one of the cabin windows coming from his companion in fear would cause him to look around the front of the cabin to see if it was possible to look into a window as he holds the lantern in front of his form. 

He would slowly nod in the blacksmith's direction as he quietly replies, "Alright, lets check in to see if we can look in one of the windows doing a search around the perimeter of the cabin before heading back to the tavern then..... though I do just need to stop at my cabin to check on my falcons before I turn in for the the night" as he remembers the anxious terrified squawking they had made before he left. He mutters under his breathe loud enough to still be heard by the blacksmith, "Its too quiet in the forest.... that ain't normal at this time of season or night" He would shiver slightly once more as his eyes cautiously scanned the around starting with slowly walking around perimeter of the cabin looking for a possible second entrance or window as a small tremor settles into his hands causing them to shake from his fear.

The longer the two of them stay out here in the darkness of the night, the higher the tension and suspense seems to be growing for them, without anything at all there to release as things currently are. The only source of proper light limits them to where and how much they are able to see around them. As the lantern is guided around the house no tracks or other stuff that stands out appears. After about half a minute of slowly examining the area all arounds the cabin, the light falls into one of the windows in the building. The two men are able to see a peacefully slumbering man in his bed, with no signs of anything weird or dangerous going on.

"Alright but maybe you should take them to the Inn, the last thing we need is to be alone on a night like this..though its so quiet you can probably get a good night sleep for once." He joked to try and bring some levity to the situation. "See he gets the idea," remarking after he had a peek inside the window. After letting out a sigh of relief he felt a bit foolish for making him and Malcolm look inside the cabin, leaving them unsupervised by the guards. The silence now bringing about a creeping dread and a sense of vulnerability.

"We shouldn't linger, lets get back to the village." The black smith held his sword at the ready and followed Malcolm towards town. A creeping dread starting to fester in his stomach as they walked.

Malcolm lets out a soft sigh if relief at the sight of the cabin’s owner seemingly appearing to sleep peacefully without any strange sigila or dangerous signs. After the joking comment being quiet  and able to get sleep in a safe location would cause a small chuckle to escape as he replies, “That maybe so but then again Herbert, my falcon is usually asleep at night” as he shrugs his shoulders and glances around nervously at the encroaching silent darkness. He would nod quietly due to the uneasiness as he comments, “Besides I feel more secure with my bird since he can alert me of any issues” as he begins heading back into town through the thicket of the woods, while replying, “Agreed lets get out of here for tonight.”

The two lone figures walk away from the scene and into places where they are safe and can rest for the night. The silence of the night even creeps into the main village itself as well, leaving the eerie atmosphere in the air there as well. Luckily, no other disturbances appear during the rest of the night and once morning reaches Duskhill, the regular sounds of the town waking up is heard, waking up both Malcolm and the blacksmith. However, it does feel different somehow...

In another part of town, more precisly the monastery, there is a huge commotion and uproar as the old and beloved Father Mathias' name is being called out loud with monks and nuns running all around. The noise and all soon wakes up another of the nuns @AraAraOneesan