1920's.

As Randall was about to enter the front yard, another man brushed past him and called out for the lollygagger and the flapper to move aside. With none of what he was thinking showing on his face, Randall waited for a moment, then opened the gate and strolled in. 

"It would seem we are all here for the same business." he smiled, meeting the two men's gazes before continuing. "Francis, was it? Name's Morris, Derek Morris." He offered his hand to Francis and then did the same to the older gentleman, waiting for him to present himself. Strictly speaking, he should have introduced himself to the older man first, but because he had already heard the younger man's name, he would do it in this order. The young woman didn't matter, of course, so she could introduce herself last.

• Like 2

As the strange puzzle and curious nature of the supposed hoax that he had original thought was a hoax was becoming more uncertain by the minute, he would scratch the back of his neck in contemplation as he listened to the conversation being spoken by the three individuals that were standing outside Jessica's abode. He would offer a politely smile at her introduction as he nods in greeting to June, while preparing to ask for the young lady's name his attention would be diverted to the other two gentlemen with his attention drawn to Francis first. He would nod politely at the offered cigarette and gladly accept the lit taking a small puff of the cigarette before exhaling a small cloud of smoke away from group not to offend those that don't smoke. He would reply to Francis saying with a slightly gruff yet polite tone, "Thank you kindly sir. My name is Professor Eric Whitmore and yes I must say that the puzzling hoax of that dream with you two in it... has been quite the fascinating conundrum.

Once Francis had introduced himself to Randall with the latter extending a hand in greeting would once more bring a small polite kind old smile to his face as he extends a slightly tremoring old hand to the man, while replying, "A pleasure to meet your acquaintance as well, Mr. Morris" and would turn to Francis extending his hand once Randall had let go for a handshake as well stating, "A pleasure to meet your acquaintance as well, Mr. Clarke." His curios nature and general elder curiosity about people would cause him to ask, "you boys wouldn't happen to be from out of town would you?" as he takes a small puff of the cigarette and continues, "I don't remember seeing you around town at all being a local boy myself having grown up on the old Whitmore orchard just outside of town nor do I remember seeing you in my classroom." He would chuckle at the mention of being there for the same business as he replies, "Well that might be true as well Mr. Morris, if you don't mind me asking are you here to see Jessica as well about a dream or to have your fortune told?"

After having introduced himself to the two gentlemen that had the courtesy to introduce themselves first before asking for his name, he would mental debate on how to approach the young woman's inquiry about who he was before deciding on being polite and not scolding her about her manners of not introducing herself before asking someone else there name. The old cogs in his head would mental run through the thought along the lines of, "Didn't her parents teach her any manners on how to address someone or act..." He would turn his attention back to the young lady in front of him as he would offer a small smile as he held out his hand for a handshake saying, "My apologizes ma'am, as I am sure you heard. My Name is Professor Eric Whitmore and your name is ma'am?"

• Like 2

She cheerfully says "June Milton. Whoa, you're a professor? Of what?" said June to Eric. "And Derek, nice to meet you too." She twirled her hair around her finger and smiled, saying "I'm guessing all of us are here for the exact same reason. I'm pretty scared.." she said to herself, moving outside of the doorway and leaning against the wall. "Well, since we're all in the same boat, I guess we're a team, huh?"

Edited by AraAraOneesan
Fixing oneliner.
  • Like 1

As the female and men stand outside of the small and cozy house, the door to said place open up. What their eyes is greeted with, is a woman who looks to be around her 50's or so. Short and slightly rotund body wise, with mostly grey hairs on her head. Even this early in the day, Jessica is bearing a soft and warm smile on her lips and behind some spectacles, lies eyes full of life as well. Overall, she is a picture perfect representation of what one might call a "sweet mature lady". The woman is dressed in a plain, but still pretty and practical dress. Jessica sees that no less than 4 people have gathered in front of her house. From the inside, a sweet aroma of some sort of food and coffee emits and to outside."Ohh my. Such many folks this early. What brings you each here? Can I offer a spot of tea or coffee and a small bite to eat?", she asks in a very kind and honeyed tone.

• Like 1

June saw Jessica, and said "Uh, no." She got serious, saying "We're here because we all had the same awful nightmare." She changed her stance, saying "And get this, we all saw each other in the dream! It was crazy!" she said, flipping her hair. "There were these creepy flying things everywhere.. Two suns! And the sky was this pretty sepia color."

Edited by AraAraOneesan

• 2 weeks later...

As Eric was introducing himself to the trio outside the quaint humble abode before them, his attention would turn to the young lady that had introduced herself as June, which he raised one of his wrinkled grey eyebrows at her rapid succession of comments and actions. He would shake his slightly as he replies, “Well Miss June, I am a language arts professor” and begins to reply to the comment about her being scared for possible the same reason they had arrived at Jessica’s house. 

He would cough slightly as June seemed to be making an assumption and answered for the group, which he smiles politely at Jessica replying, “Hello Miss Jessica, a spot of tea would be lovely this morning” as he tips his head slightly before continuing, “I am not sure about the other two gentlemen here, but I am here for your assistance with a strange life-like dream from last night that seemed to cause a bout of sleepwalking for me…” as he trails off at the end before adding, “If your not busy this morning with another client.”

• Like 1

Erik's question was left unanswered as the young woman started going on a tirade. Ignoring all common sense or courtesy, her emotions were all over the place. The fidgets were a term used to describe people who suffered from the same condition as she did. The name did a good job of describing the syndrome, but to be more precise, it was a sickness that affected a person's capacity to sustain attention properly. People who suffered from this disease had a hard time keeping their jobs.

As the mentally afflicted young woman was busy making a general nuisance of herself, the door suddenly flung open and a rather stout little woman stepped out onto the small porch. Greeting them with a warm smile, she was all honey and cinnamon. It was to be expected, of course. If she was going to be able to trick anyone, she would need to at least create a favorable atmosphere for herself where she could gain the trust of her possible clients.

"Tea will be fine," he told her, returning her smile with one of his own. Where her smile was all sweet and warm, his was simply polite and apologetic. He hated tea and actually wanted coffee instead. But offering them something to drink was just a way to make them relax their guards around her. Accepting something he would actually enjoy here would just make things too easy for her, and where would the fun be in that?

Edited by Nan-Yo
  • Like 1

With the overwhelming consensus veering towards a spot of tea and the option of food, Francis realized that due to his staying up the whole night and exploring the town more he had found himself feeling quite peckish as the aromas from within Jessica's house seeped out from her front door. Along with Erik's and Randall's curt greetings and acceptance of her offer, Francis chimed in with a slight smile of his own, "Some coffee and whatever you're cooking in there would make my day, Miss!" He finished his unfiltered cigarette, tossing the end he was smoking from onto the street and snuffing it out against the gravel with his shoed foot.

He couldn't help but take a mental note of June's sudden change of disposition upon Jessica's appearance. As he walked back from the street side to join the group at the door, he made sure to feel for his handcuffs through one of his coat pockets to make sure it would be at the ready in case June went from screwy to lousy quick. All else being equal, he maintained his cordial composure so as not to alert anyone of his concern and proceeded with the group in joining Jessica's warm invitation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/06/2022 at 18:12, AraAraOneesan said:

June saw Jessica, and said "Uh, no." She got serious, saying "We're here because we all had the same awful nightmare." She changed her stance, saying "And get this, we all saw each other in the dream! It was crazy!" she said, flipping her hair. "There were these creepy flying things everywhere.. Two suns! And the sky was this pretty sepia color."

Jessica gives the young woman a slight frown, but it passes rather fast."That's interesting....dear", the slight disdain for the rudeness in her tone. She might be an nice older woman, but she doesn't care much for lack of manners."Let us chat more inside...", she simply adds and tries not to be rude on her if she can help it.

On 15/06/2022 at 23:13, DrMender said:

As Eric was introducing himself to the trio outside the quaint humble abode before them, his attention would turn to the young lady that had introduced herself as June, which he raised one of his wrinkled grey eyebrows at her rapid succession of comments and actions. He would shake his slightly as he replies, “Well Miss June, I am a language arts professor” and begins to reply to the comment about her being scared for possible the same reason they had arrived at Jessica’s house. 

He would cough slightly as June seemed to be making an assumption and answered for the group, which he smiles politely at Jessica replying, “Hello Miss Jessica, a spot of tea would be lovely this morning” as he tips his head slightly before continuing, “I am not sure about the other two gentlemen here, but I am here for your assistance with a strange life-like dream from last night that seemed to cause a bout of sleepwalking for me…” as he trails off at the end before adding, “If your not busy this morning with another client.”

The woman smiles softly and nods at the more pleasant reply from professor Eric."I am only happy to give...I had a pot made anyway, so might as well share it with others. Nothing starts off conversation better than feeling comfortable. It can seem odd, but I am sure we can find out some interesting answers when you tell me more", she reponds back, making room for them to go past her and into the house of hers. With the door open, the scent of fresh bread hits their noses.

On 16/06/2022 at 03:43, Nan-Yo said:

Erik's question was left unanswered as the young woman started going on a tirade. Ignoring all common sense or courtesy, her emotions were all over the place. The fidgets were a term used to describe people who suffered from the same condition as she did. The name did a good job of describing the syndrome, but to be more precise, it was a sickness that affected a person's capacity to sustain attention properly. People who suffered from this disease had a hard time keeping their jobs.

As the mentally afflicted young woman was busy making a general nuisance of herself, the door suddenly flung open and a rather stout little woman stepped out onto the small porch. Greeting them with a warm smile, she was all honey and cinnamon. It was to be expected, of course. If she was going to be able to trick anyone, she would need to at least create a favorable atmosphere for herself where she could gain the trust of her possible clients.

"Tea will be fine," he told her, returning her smile with one of his own. Where her smile was all sweet and warm, his was simply polite and apologetic. He hated tea and actually wanted coffee instead. But offering them something to drink was just a way to make them relax their guards around her. Accepting something he would actually enjoy here would just make things too easy for her, and where would the fun be in that?

Miss Whitford is very much a person who is fairly adept at reading other people and the overall vibe she gets from Randall is not a fully welcoming one or one that seems very open in general. Of course, this is just an initial interpretation on her part, so for now she simply takes it as such. She gives him a light nod to acknowledge his side of the whole situation as it presently is shown.

15 hours ago, Jholdono said:

With the overwhelming consensus veering towards a spot of tea and the option of food, Francis realized that due to his staying up the whole night and exploring the town more he had found himself feeling quite peckish as the aromas from within Jessica's house seeped out from her front door. Along with Erik's and Randall's curt greetings and acceptance of her offer, Francis chimed in with a slight smile of his own, "Some coffee and whatever you're cooking in there would make my day, Miss!" He finished his unfiltered cigarette, tossing the end he was smoking from onto the street and snuffing it out against the gravel with his shoed foot.

He couldn't help but take a mental note of June's sudden change of disposition upon Jessica's appearance. As he walked back from the street side to join the group at the door, he made sure to feel for his handcuffs through one of his coat pockets to make sure it would be at the ready in case June went from screwy to lousy quick. All else being equal, he maintained his cordial composure so as not to alert anyone of his concern and proceeded with the group in joining Jessica's warm invitation.

"Oh but of course, dear. Hospitality is one of the simplest, but best kinds of ways one can greet others, both first time and beyond...please, do come inside. There are biscuits and other such delightful treats from my native country", she says, her cuckney accent showing the more she seems to speak with the group.

• Like 1

June raced in, her high heels clicking and making an immensely irritating sound. She sat on Jessica Whitford's chair, and decided to wait for the fellow members of this odd congregation to say what they were going to. 'I am so incredibly bored...' June thought. She began tapping her fingers on her stocking-covered knees. She was a bit cold and wished she had brought the white fur stole to match the blue dress she was wearing.

At the young woman’s entering of their host’s humble abode after the offer for the refreshments were accepted by the other two companions, which he would smile in acceptance of the explanation about comfort helping in these situations. He would politely ask, “Shall we proceed inside then and conduct our business after the refreshments” as he glances around the area as he motions to the front door of Jessica’s home before making his way in the direction of her front door proceeding to hold the door open for thr others outside. 

• Like 2

Randall remained in place, considering his options. Had he actually been invited into her home? The old woman had given him a nod, but did that mean she had given him the okay to enter the house? Maybe she intended to serve them tea on the porch? No, that was wrong. If she wanted them to feel comfortable, she wouldn't make them wait outside, would she?

"I will invite myself in then." Randal smiled at the elderly lady again, then nodded to the professor and entered the house. Inside, he noticed that the young woman who had just run in was already sitting on a chair. She had been acting all excited and talking nonsense about going on an adventure only a minute ago, but now she was looking listless. He had hoped he was going to get a chance to watch a circus, but he hadn't expected to come across a clown.

Edited by Nan-Yo
  • Like 2

As Francis graciously accepted Jessica's invitation, he proceeded calmly inside with the others, thanking Eric for holding the door for him. Upon entering the house, the aroma grew stronger and he had to make an effort to keep his stomach from growling, though he waited patiently for Jessica to show them to where they would be seating not only for refreshments, but for the discussion of the strange dream which they all had. Taking a look around while Jessica closed the front door, Francis observed the quaint space in which they all stood and felt the most at-ease he has ever been in a long while. The warmness of Jessica's demeanor and the design of the interior was perfectly suited for the type of small family gatherings he only had on occasion in his youth. Being one of the last ones inside, Francis heard the door finally close and asked Jessica, "Where might we all be able to gather around for these refreshments and discussion? I would assume the table young June saw herself to?" As obvious as it might have been, Francis was taught the manners of awaiting the host before seating himself in such instances...

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 23:55, AraAraOneesan said:

June raced in, her high heels clicking and making an immensely irritating sound. She sat on Jessica Whitford's chair, and decided to wait for the fellow members of this odd congregation to say what they were going to. 'I am so incredibly bored...' June thought. She began tapping her fingers on her stocking-covered knees. She was a bit cold and wished she had brought the white fur stole to match the blue dress she was wearing.

Jessica gives a soft sigh as she can definitely not recognize such rush and manners from her own young days. The young lady makes her way to the living room where there are a few soft recliners and a sofa. There are various stuff on the table for them to enjoy, both edible and the more wet kind, like tea. The middle aged lady doesn't really want or need to comment on this and follows the others who walk more easily into her home.

On 01/07/2022 at 05:47, DrMender said:

At the young woman’s entering of their host’s humble abode after the offer for the refreshments were accepted by the other two companions, which he would smile in acceptance of the explanation about comfort helping in these situations. He would politely ask, “Shall we proceed inside then and conduct our business after the refreshments” as he glances around the area as he motions to the front door of Jessica’s home before making his way in the direction of her front door proceeding to hold the door open for thr others outside. 

"Yes, by all means. Let us not stand out here, when we can be more at ease inside and satiate our appetite. You guys must be craving something I gather", she responds back to him and takes them with her inside her humble, but very cozy home. Her entrance is very neatly furnished with all one can use in such a room, making it fairly packed, but still tightly organized so as to not create a mess or make it hard to get through. In the background, a record softly plays some easy listening music.

Spoiler

On 01/07/2022 at 20:34, Nan-Yo said:

Randall remained in place, considering his options. Had he actually been invited into her home? The old woman had given him a nod, but did that mean she had given him the okay to enter the house? Maybe she intended to serve them tea on the porch? No, that was wrong. If she wanted them to feel comfortable, she wouldn't make them wait outside, would she?

"I will invite myself in then." Randal smiled at the elderly lady again, then nodded to the professor and entered the house. Inside, he noticed that the young woman who had just run in was already sitting on a chair. She had been acting all excited and talking nonsense about going on an adventure only a minute ago, but now she was looking listless. He had hoped he was going to get a chance to watch a circus, but he hadn't expected to come across a clown.

Jessica nods softly and smiles warmly in a genuine manner. She senses some hesitation on the part of the young man, but she would rather not assume too much. At least he is civil and mannered unlike the young June."You seem to come from out of town...are you not, mister Morris?", she asks as they get through the entrance hall and into the living room itself, the record player somewhere in the corner, playing its soft tune and setting a calming mood. The living room is also not a huge place, but still managed in such a way that all of the knick knacks and what looks like heirlooms are not in the way."Please...take a seat whereever you wish", she finally utters.

On 03/07/2022 at 18:15, Jholdono said:

As Francis graciously accepted Jessica's invitation, he proceeded calmly inside with the others, thanking Eric for holding the door for him. Upon entering the house, the aroma grew stronger and he had to make an effort to keep his stomach from growling, though he waited patiently for Jessica to show them to where they would be seating not only for refreshments, but for the discussion of the strange dream which they all had. Taking a look around while Jessica closed the front door, Francis observed the quaint space in which they all stood and felt the most at-ease he has ever been in a long while. The warmness of Jessica's demeanor and the design of the interior was perfectly suited for the type of small family gatherings he only had on occasion in his youth. Being one of the last ones inside, Francis heard the door finally close and asked Jessica, "Where might we all be able to gather around for these refreshments and discussion? I would assume the table young June saw herself to?" As obvious as it might have been, Francis was taught the manners of awaiting the host before seating himself in such instances...

The closer they all get to the living room, the stronger, thicker and better the scent of freshly baked goods and fresh tea sits in their noses, himself included. The whole place is almost like some sort of cozy wonderland in a very small space. Clearly, Whitford likes it like that and aims for her clients to feel at home and ease as well."Ohh, right this way...I believe miss June already went there...meaning the living room. Take a seat where you feel like mister Francis", she tells him and finally seats herself in another recliner. She hands everyone as much tea and foos and treats as they like before pouring herself any tea or giving herself anything to eat."Now...you do not have to start off right away with what you experienced. The best results come when you are nice and relaxed and do not feel pressured", she says in her usual motherly tone of voice as she looks over the group.

Edited by JennyDK
  • Like 1

Eric smiled softly to Jessica as he politely replies, “Thank you kindly ma’am for the refreshments and your time today” as he held the door open for the others before slowly walking behind the group into the parlor before sitting on one of the sofas in the room. He would slowly take a sip of tea as he holds the cup of tea and saucer in his hands after he places the old briefcase in his lap with his hands shaking slightly.

He sigh softly after reclining back into the sofa as he quietly replies in a soft tone, “I am not sure about the others but last night I found my sleep interrupted by a bizarre life-like world… with strange creatures and I swore I heard voices of other people” before he trails off taking a sip of his tea adding, “Though after a bit of who knows how long I was awoken by my wife standing in my front lawn near the street…” as he becomes lost in thought after making his comments.

After another brief sip of his tea, he would say, “Though I am not really sure what else you would like to know since I am not all familiar with your services but just remembered a colleague had once recommended your services.” His eyes would close slightly as he listened to the music echoing from the record player as he waited on input from the others on the conversation.

• Like 2

This was nice. Sitting in one of Jessica's cozy chairs made June reminisce about how she always used to visit the old lady when she was younger. Her parents told her she should stop and often apologized to their neighbor on her behalf, which they still did for some reason. She smiled. "Ms. Jessica, Ms. Jessica. This tea is really good!"

She had poured herself another cup, already sipping on it. But she wasn't here just to enjoy herself, she was here because she wanted to talk with her neighbor about her dream. Something about the dream had left a scary impression on her, but more than anything, it had excited her. It was kind of like back when she was a young kid and she had found a hornet's nest in her parents' garage. She just hadn't been able to stop herself, so she grabbed a long stick and started whacking the large nest. 

¤           ¤           ¤           ¤           ¤

Randall didn't really care for the idea of sitting. It would be much easier for him to observe everyone if he just remained standing in a corner or next to the door. But his host had offered him a seat, so he had to accept. Taking a seat opposite the older man, he noted that the young woman was already drinking from a cup, lacking both manners and refinement. The professor ignored the young woman and started narrating his dream, a not so harrowing tale about having been in a place where he was hearing other people. Randall didn't know what to think about it. It didn't exactly sound like the type of dream that would have you seek out some sort of magic woman, did it? So, was he just here because he was feeling lonely? When he had worked as an intern at the hospital, it would not have been an uncommon sight for old men and women to sometimes visit with all sorts of non-issue ailments simply because they just wanted somebody to talk to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As everyone embraced their refreshments and recalled their dreams, Francis began to ponder how none of the others could remember each other's faces. Those of June and Eric had stuck so vividly in his mind after waking that it was the very reason he knew something much larger was going on upon meeting them in front of Jessica's house. Surely grander in scale than all of the people sitting in this room combined, much less the entirety of this whole world it seemed. Something strange was afoot, and certainly disturbing enough to warrant a detour in his current investigation. Yet still, the thought of all this being intertwined was too strong for him to brush off as mere coincidence. After being absorbed in his thoughts for so long, he realized it was finally his turn to recollect to the group. Having barely touched any of the biscuits and coffee, he took a quick sip of the beverage before him before looking Eric in the eye and saying, "I've seen miss June before... in the dream, you see. But you? I remember your face just barely... but your voice... you were calling out to us from another bridge - towards that last plateau we were standing on before I woke up. Surely you at least saw the clothes I was wearing? Doesn't my appearance ring any bells?" Francis says, gesturing to his coat, which he remembers putting on and wearing in the dream.

He then turns to Randall and asks, "What about you, Derek? Any details you care to share with us? Anything you can remember?"

Edited by Jholdono
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 03:21, DrMender said:

Eric smiled softly to Jessica as he politely replies, “Thank you kindly ma’am for the refreshments and your time today” as he held the door open for the others before slowly walking behind the group into the parlor before sitting on one of the sofas in the room. He would slowly take a sip of tea as he holds the cup of tea and saucer in his hands after he places the old briefcase in his lap with his hands shaking slightly.

He sigh softly after reclining back into the sofa as he quietly replies in a soft tone, “I am not sure about the others but last night I found my sleep interrupted by a bizarre life-like world… with strange creatures and I swore I heard voices of other people” before he trails off taking a sip of his tea adding, “Though after a bit of who knows how long I was awoken by my wife standing in my front lawn near the street…” as he becomes lost in thought after making his comments.

After another brief sip of his tea, he would say, “Though I am not really sure what else you would like to know since I am not all familiar with your services but just remembered a colleague had once recommended your services.” His eyes would close slightly as he listened to the music echoing from the record player as he waited on input from the others on the conversation.

Jessica looks thoughtful for a moment after carefully listening to Eric speak of his...incident."Ohhh, I see. Has this ever happened before? Do you generally have trouble sleeping? Can you elaborate more on what you saw in your dream?", the middle aged woman asks in a calm and collective manner of speaking and tone, in between her own sipping or small mouthfuls of food and treats. She lets her first inquires serves as a way to reply to his second statement.

On 10/07/2022 at 13:24, Nan-Yo said:

This was nice. Sitting in one of Jessica's cozy chairs made June reminisce about how she always used to visit the old lady when she was younger. Her parents told her she should stop and often apologized to their neighbor on her behalf, which they still did for some reason. She smiled. "Ms. Jessica, Ms. Jessica. This tea is really good!"

She had poured herself another cup, already sipping on it. But she wasn't here just to enjoy herself, she was here because she wanted to talk with her neighbor about her dream. Something about the dream had left a scary impression on her, but more than anything, it had excited her. It was kind of like back when she was a young kid and she had found a hornet's nest in her parents' garage. She just hadn't been able to stop herself, so she grabbed a long stick and started whacking the large nest. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Randall didn't really care for the idea of sitting. It would be much easier for him to observe everyone if he just remained standing in a corner or next to the door. But his host had offered him a seat, so he had to accept. Taking a seat opposite the older man, he noted that the young woman was already drinking from a cup, lacking both manners and refinement. The professor ignored the young woman and started narrating his dream, a not so harrowing tale about having been in a place where he was hearing other people. Randall didn't know what to think about it. It didn't exactly sound like the type of dream that would have you seek out some sort of magic woman, did it? So, was he just here because he was feeling lonely? When he had worked as an intern at the hospital, it would not have been an uncommon sight for old men and women to sometimes visit with all sorts of non-issue ailments simply because they just wanted somebody to talk to.

Miss Whitford is kind of used to the high energy and shenanigans from the young June and she has not at all changed from her younger years. At least she is not one to make huge trouble or anything of that soft. She likely just lacks some direction and discipline in her life. For now, it seems pleasaent enough with her company."Oh, thank you dear. Nothing better than homemade tea rather than that new fangled stuff", she says in a motherly tone.

----------------------------

With the person not really talking or making any sort of notions or motions of any kind, the older woman simply lets Randall sit and listen whilst interacting with the rest of the group, but she is still keeping him in mind for when she intends to perhaps speak to them all as a whole.

12 hours ago, Jholdono said:

As everyone embraced their refreshments and recalled their dreams, Francis began to ponder how none of the others could remember each other's faces. Those of June and Eric had stuck so vividly in his mind after waking that it was the very reason he knew something much larger was going on upon meeting them in front of Jessica's house. Surely grander in scale than all of the people sitting in this room combined, much less the entirety of this whole world it seemed. Something strange was afoot, and certainly disturbing enough to warrant a detour in his current investigation. Yet still, the thought of all this being intertwined was too strong for him to brush off as mere coincidence. After being absorbed in his thoughts for so long, he realized it was finally his turn to recollect to the group. Having barely touched any of the biscuits and coffee, he took a quick sip of the beverage before him before looking Eric in the eye and saying, "I've seen miss June before... in the dream, you see. But you? I remember your face just barely... but your voice... you were calling out to us from another bridge - towards that last plateau we were standing on before I woke up. Surely you at least saw the clothes I was wearing? Doesn't my appearance ring any bells?" Francis says, gesturing to his coat, which he remembers putting on and wearing in the dream.

He then turns to Randall and asks, "What about you, Randall? Any details you care to share with us? Anything you can remember?"

Before Randall has any chance to reply first, she intends to speak to Francis so as to make sure she gives her own perspective and ask any questions this all raises. Of course, things like shared dreams is very rare, but it is indeed something that can happen."So...are you saying none of you know each other? Beyond from this collective dream? Because they pretty much only happen to people who are already very familiar with each other", Jessica chimes in before giving the last member a chance to finally speak his mind as he is clearly addressed.

• Like 1

Eric would ring his hands together softly around the cup of tea in his hands as he feels a slight shiver run through him from thinking about the past and the shared dream that was still fresh in his mind. A soft sigh would escape his lips as he takes a sip of the soothing tea, while he listens to the others beginning to speak after he started the communications about the strange dream world. As he prepares to answer their host's question, his attention would turn to June as he arches one of his light grey eyebrows giving her a judgmental look due to her random spouts of insanity before he replies to Jessica's inquiries about the sleepwalking, "I usually don't dream at all but rather typically find sleep difficult to obtain spending most nights reading until I fall asleep in my personal office most nights" as he trials off becoming lost in thought for a moment trying to recall any form of sleepwalking.

He would seemingly snap back to attention at the mention of knowing the others and being asked about recognizing June or Francis, which he replies in a tired tone after turning in Francis's direction commenting, "Oh well I remember hearing the young miss calling out in fear and seeing her, while you my good sir are a bit harder to place and you do seem like I have seen you from somewhere." After this statement, he would turn away from Francis after glancing over at the silent Randall and softly asks, "Anything to add Sir? You seem lost in thought since I don't recognize you or Francis as every having been in town before whereas I do recall seeing the young lady in passing since I live in town" as he answers Jessica's question about any form of a connection and motions with a slight shaking of his left wrinkled hand gesturing at Randall first before moving from Francis to June. Once he has made his comments to the questions directed at him, he would quietly set the tea cup down with a soft thank you to Jessica as he pulls out a small worn old brown journal with a black silver trimmed pen from his bag as he begins to write down in short had anything that he can recall about the dream from last night.

• Like 2

June tilted her head, giving the professor a curious look. He had trouble sleeping? That wasn't good! Especially not at his age! Maybe he was a heavy drinker? She didn't want to believe it about the man, but she could distinctly remember a middle-school teacher telling her that trying to teach her had turned him into an alcoholic. 

"That's right! I don't know why, but I didn't like it at all!" June filled in as the professor recounted some of the details of his own dream.

"No, I can't say I have anything to add." Randall said, replying to both Francis and Eric. Randall was just holding his own cup and smiling, but wasn't drinking from it. It was just a precaution, but he had it as a rule to never drink anything offered by a stranger.

A shared dream? Randall didn't say anything but immediately recognized how Jessica controlled the conversation with leading questions. Throwing out the suggestion that none of them knew each other, she would make them disregard the possibility that they had met each other somewhere. The conversation had just started and she was already controlling the flow.

Edited by Nan-Yo
  • Like 2

Francis finished his food and coffee while listening to everyone else's perspectives and Jessica's questioning. As odd as it was to him and (seemingly) everyone else in the room, he could not recall ever meeting anyone else here in the real world. Most of his investigations would have him stay within the Chicago area, with only a handful of them leading out of the city to catch the culprit. "No, ma'am", he replied to Jessica, "I can't say I've ever seen any of these people in my life." 

Francis would consider that perhaps he could only remember June's face as clearly as he had since he had gotten within spitting distance of the young girl. He would also consider Eric's age and eyesight to be a factor both in the real world and this dream world before nodding in these considerations to Eric's input. "Fair enough. It might just be because of my close proximity to little June here that I remember her so clearly. But I could discern yourself being on one of those bridges approaching us before I woke up..." 

With everyone else speaking to their experiences (or in June's and Derek's case, a lack thereof) it would seem that the only thing left would be to see if Jessica can make any sense of their shared descriptions of this strange dream and where they could go from here...

• Like 2

On 13/07/2022 at 13:36, DrMender said:

Eric would ring his hands together softly around the cup of tea in his hands as he feels a slight shiver run through him from thinking about the past and the shared dream that was still fresh in his mind. A soft sigh would escape his lips as he takes a sip of the soothing tea, while he listens to the others beginning to speak after he started the communications about the strange dream world. As he prepares to answer their host's question, his attention would turn to June as he arches one of his light grey eyebrows giving her a judgmental look due to her random spouts of insanity before he replies to Jessica's inquiries about the sleepwalking, "I usually don't dream at all but rather typically find sleep difficult to obtain spending most nights reading until I fall asleep in my personal office most nights" as he trials off becoming lost in thought for a moment trying to recall any form of sleepwalking.

He would seemingly snap back to attention at the mention of knowing the others and being asked about recognizing June or Francis, which he replies in a tired tone after turning in Francis's direction commenting, "Oh well I remember hearing the young miss calling out in fear and seeing her, while you my good sir are a bit harder to place and you do seem like I have seen you from somewhere." After this statement, he would turn away from Francis after glancing over at the silent Randall and softly asks, "Anything to add Sir? You seem lost in thought since I don't recognize you or Francis as every having been in town before whereas I do recall seeing the young lady in passing since I live in town" as he answers Jessica's question about any form of a connection and motions with a slight shaking of his left wrinkled hand gesturing at Randall first before moving from Francis to June. Once he has made his comments to the questions directed at him, he would quietly set the tea cup down with a soft thank you to Jessica as he pulls out a small worn old brown journal with a black silver trimmed pen from his bag as he begins to write down in short had anything that he can recall about the dream from last night.

Jessica gives him a slightly worried look as that lack of proper sleep and even dreaming isn't very normal or healthy."Is that so? So this incident sticks out even more to you then?", she asks, wondering about that quite a bit as well as his statement of never really dreaming, as that is very normal for humans to do after all.

On 16/07/2022 at 00:36, Nan-Yo said:

June tilted her head, giving the professor a curious look. He had trouble sleeping? That wasn't good! Especially not at his age! Maybe he was a heavy drinker? She didn't want to believe it about the man, but she could distinctly remember a middle-school teacher telling her that trying to teach her had turned him into an alcoholic. 

"That's right! I don't know why, but I didn't like it at all!" June filled in as the professor recounted some of the details of his own dream.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"No, I can't say I have anything to add." Randall said, replying to both Francis and Eric. Randall was just holding his own cup and smiling, but wasn't drinking from it. It was just a precaution, but he had it as a rule to never drink anything offered by a stranger.

A shared dream? Randall didn't say anything but immediately recognized how Jessica controlled the conversation with leading questions. Throwing out the suggestion that none of them knew each other, she would make them disregard the possibility that they had met each other somewhere. The conversation had just started and she was already controlling the flow.

"Some things are an...acquired taste though. I used to think I didn't like brussel sprouts as a child, but I have grown to at least tolerate it somewhat. Tell me June...what are you up to lately anyway? Hopefully nothing too...unsavory?", she asks, not quite sure what else to ask the young woman of right now and thus simply making quick small talk.

-----------------------------------------

"I sense you are not too keen to either share what you think or know. If that is the case, you will not gain any insight or knowledge. The others seem to have things to share though, so if this is really a shared dream between you all, then you must have something to share", she replies, still very unsure what to think of this young man who has not even sampled any of her food or drink for some reason.

14 minutes ago, Jholdono said:

Francis finished his food and coffee while listening to everyone else's perspectives and Jessica's questioning. As odd as it was to him and (seemingly) everyone else in the room, he could not recall ever meeting anyone else here in the real world. Most of his investigations would have him stay within the Chicago area, with only a handful of them leading out of the city to catch the culprit. "No, ma'am", he replied to Jessica, "I can't say I've ever seen any of these people in my life." 

Francis would consider that perhaps he could only remember June's face as clearly as he had since he had gotten within spitting distance of the young girl. He would also consider Eric's age and eyesight to be a factor both in the real world and this dream world before nodding in these considerations to Eric's input. "Fair enough. It might just be because of my close proximity to little June here that I remember her so clearly. But I could discern yourself being on one of those bridges approaching us before I woke up..." 

With everyone else speaking to their experiences (or in June's and Derek's case, a lack thereof) it would seem that the only thing left would be to see if Jessica can make any sense of their shared descriptions of this strange dream and where they could go from here...

With Francis being the last to speak of his own side of things, Jessica gives a thoughtful pause and tries to piece her words and first draft of a conclusion together."Hmmmmm...it is hard to say anything too conclusive since miss June and Derek have not really shared anything, but as I told you all: shared dreams are possible, but I have never heard of it happening between strangers. The sort of stuff you witnessed also does not at all correlate to anything I have heard of before and I have done this for multiple decades now...", she takes a pause from going on to the next subject and spends it drinking the last bit of tea in her cup and finishing the last bite of her piece of bread with jam on it."I have a colleague...of some sort. His approach is a lot more scientific if you will. His name is Boris Vlakov and he is a parapsychologist...perhaps he can provide you with better or different answers at least...", she says and writes down his address.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eric glances over at June's reply to the mention of the situation being scary as he replies, "It certainly was strange and a bit outlandish of a scene, miss" and turns his attention over to Randall with a puzzled look when it is becoming clearly he will offer no assistance on the case or drinking the refreshment offered by their host with a single thought thinking, "What a rude young man". After a moment, he would turn his attention from Randall with a shake of his head scoffing slightly before turning to Francis, "Mmmmm that is true possible your approximate to the young lady did help with your retention of memory. Although it could be due to my age and the fact I tend to focus more on engrams or ciphers" as he takes one of the snacks that had placed on the table taking a small bite from the cookie.

His attention would turn to Jessica at the question and worried look directed to him as he replies after finishing off the cookie, "Yes ma'am from the fact that I could notice no writing or symbols anywhere in the area of the strange plateaus of land and the black oily ooze ocean with only the old worn bridges it was quite a puzzle for me" as he trails off. He would continue by saying, "That's most likely the reason of why I only recognize Miss June and Mr. Francis's voice, while vaguely recognizing their appearance." His eyes would glance over at June with a slight judgmental glint to them as she is accused of being involved in unsavory acts or possibly criminal acts before turning back to Jessica at the mention of a colleague named Boris Vlakov. He would politely wait from Jessica finishes before asking inquistively, "How exactly would Mr. Valkov's specialty in parapsychology and science help us? Wouldn't it be easier to go see an actual therapist or doctor on this matter?" as thinking back during his time in the cryptography department that have been of a similar nature from reports that he may have seen such as "Angels of Mon" or "Eerie Ypres".

Brussel sprouts? The idea that anyone had a hard time eating sprouts was a bit hard to believe. Had Miss Whitford said bell peppers, then June would have understood though; those things were pure evil. 

"N-no... Nothing bad! You know that I would never do anything like that, Ms Jessica!" June exclaimed, feeling a bit put on the spot. It was odd, though. It was almost as if Miss Jessica didn't hear her at times, showing absolutely no reaction to when June had mentioned the creepy flying things, the two suns, or even that the sky in her dream had been a sepia color.

Boris Valcov? Where had he heard that name before? Was the woman just name-dropping, or was this scam bigger than what Randall had first thought?

Trying to recall where he remembered the name from, Randall froze, if only for the briefest of moments when the bumbling professor started recounting some of the things in his dream. It was oddly specific. Moreso, it eerily matched some of what he recalled from his own dream. A vast landscape of plateaus resembling the spine of a dead snake coiled in on itself, submerged into an ocean of darkness as black as the deepest abyss.

But that was ridiculous, of course. So far, studies into the subject of mind sharing had been shown to be nothing but mumbo jumbo. So what was really going on here? Had he accidentally let something slip? No, that wasn't the case. He could clearly remember everything he had said, and there should be nothing there that could have influenced this old fool to such a degree. So it was just happenstance then? Thinking more clearly about it, maybe it hadn't been that specific after all? Dreams of dark water and rock formations did seem to be a rather common theme among a lot of the patients at Black Rock after all. So, should he throw out an angler? See just how much of a soft cheese the mind of the codger really was?

"I apologise. I was being rude." Randall said, giving Jessica and everyone else in the room an apologetic look. His gaze lingered on Erik, though, as he continued. "It is, as the young lady said, quite a horrifying experience."

His face contorted into a somewhat distraught, almost scared look. He was a professional, and years of practicing psychology and interviewing people had allowed him to learn how to manipulate not only his own appearance but also how people saw him. Even people that started out mistrusting him ended up viewing him as their only confidante once he had wormed his way into their minds.

"Talking about it is difficult." He paused, then continued. "There were multiple suns, at least three, maybe as many as five? No, but definitely four?"

He allowed everyone to process what he had just said, waiting until he had all of their attention before continuing. "I don't remember seeing anyone here, but there was something... something in that dark deep. Looking back, staring. You know what I am talking about, right? Professor Whitmore?"

June, unable to contain herself any longer, was quick to jump onto the train, speaking out of turn before anyone else had a chance to respond. "Yes! That's what I was saying! There was more than one sun!"

Edited by Nan-Yo