My Random Pile of RPG Books

So, a while back I rambled on a bit about my pile of CCG cards.  Now its time for another collection, more oriented for this site.  I've basically been roleplaying my entire adult life.  But that roleplaying is of the shared story sort.  I've never played anything in an actual game system (see my personal story topic for why I would not have done that in person, I've been somewhat 'eh' on considering whether or not to try it online).  That said, I have a pile of books from various systems (some of the oldest ones were originally my dad's, who I believe played them some when he was younger, though I never saw him do it).  I like reading them, since at least my teen years, which may have inspired my later RPing.  Sometimes I would think about filling out character sheets for fun if easy online versions were available, and have occasionally thought a little bit of 'hybrid' versions, mixing some aspects of them with the sort I am more familiar with, but don't know if I will ever do it.  But now for the collection:

Will add some more detail on my thoughts as a reader/collector but not player later.  A little late to do it for all of them tonight.

AD&D:  Mostly my dad's old stuff, 1st edition, except for a few 2nd edition setting box sets I bought later (Dark Sun and Birthright).  Always been somewhat interesting, at least partially due to the history and being what started it all.

Middle-Earth Roleplaying Game (Iron Crown Enterprises, to make sure it isn't confused with later Lord of the Rings systems):  A mix of first and second editions (only editions).  A lot of the first edition stuff was originally my dad's again (it was just these two games).  I added some to the first edition later and got all of the second edition I have (a lot beaten up now, originally got them when I was still rather young).  They took some liberties with the setting to make it fit, but as long as it is it kept to the system none of it feels too out of place (except maybe the magic system, which feels like magic is more common/varied than it ought to be in that setting).

Star Wars (West End Games):

Babylon 5:  Technically two different systems.  First a core book only "The Babylon Project".  Not sure if that version even had other books.  Then a bunch of books for a later "D20 system" game for the series.

Then the anime based games:

Tenchi Muyo: A single core book from 'Guardians of Order'.  I think this one might have a few other books, though I never looked for them.

Mekton: An 'Anime Mecha Roleplaying' system.  Only anime system I have multiple books for, I believe I have at least most, if not all of them.

"Maid: The Roleplaying Game": I don't even remember how I originally heard about this one, but the concept amused me too much not to grab it.  The only one on the list originally written in Japan, though I naturally have a translated version.

Archived