Brave new world

Places:

Limsa

Spoiler

latest?cb=20100418203404

On the southern coast of the island of Vylbrand, under the shadow of ancient cliffs worn by the relentless onslaught of the Rhotano Sea, lies the marine city-state of Limsa. Said to be blessed by the goddess of navigation, Llymlaen, the city is spread out over countless tiny islands, each connected by sturdy bridges of iron and wood construction, earning her the name the "Navigator's Veil" from traveling bards who have witnessed the city's beauty from afar.

Limsa is a traditional thalassocracy, with power lying in the hands of the ruling party and its leader. Its economy is driven by shipbuilding, fishing, and blacksmithing, but the majority of wealth comes from the lucrative shipping industry.

To maintain the safety of its maritime routes, the city employs a formidable navy known as the Knights of the Barracuda, but even in the waters nearby the city, pirate bands run rampant, raving and pillaging. The Admiral reinstated The Maelstrom to combine the forces of the Knights, conscripted pirates, and adventurers into a land-and-sea army to combat all that might pose a threat to the city.

Edited by Lusterless Nova
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Tonight was probably as perfect as could be. A clear night sky, a gentle breeze, and the humming of car engines that was far enough away to not be an actual bother. This star-shower couldn't happen at a better time. And the best part? It was announced weeks in advance. After everyone had parked their cars, one family after the other had laid out a large towel at the local park. Some preferred to be on the hill, some got comfortable near the lake, and others were fine with the benches. It was quite odd to see so many people outside for something like this, but with the opportunity to see so many shooting stars, campaigns to entice people to get their wishes granted (and hence cash in some money on park entrance fees) were on the radio, TV and online as well.

By now, the mayor on the improvised stage had finished his speech which... in all honesty not many people gave much thought about. But it was now that people started pointing up to the night sky. First just one or two, then hundreds of little lines decorated the black canvas. If they appeared all at once, it was fair to assume they could brighten the night for a moment. "Hear... Feel... Think..." Out of nowhere, there was suddenly a voice in the head of a very special someone. Female, distant, but definitely directed at the one who had planned to watch the star-shower with his mother.

• Like 1

As he heard the voice, he looked around to see where the voice was coming from.  He never heard the person before, and he couldn't seem to see where the person was.  He would then turn towards his mother, hoping she had an answer.  "Hey, mom.  Did you hear anyone speak right now?  They were saying some random words."

The woman beside him would shake her head, having been too focused on the star shower to notice anyone talking.  "Maybe the others are talking amongst themselves.  If anyone needs to talk to you, I'm sure they'll come up to you.  Now, let's keep watching the stars, sweetie."  She would smile as she turned her head back towards the sky, her eyes filled with awestruck wonder.  She hadn't left the house much for a little while, so being able to get some fresh air and experience a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was something she wanted to cherish with her only son, the one who she spent her life raising on her own.  She would pull him close, holding him by her side.  "Look at how pretty the stars are, Eric."

The young man would nod, finding himself more at ease from the embrace of her mother.  Maybe he was just hearing things after all...but neither of them would realize what was soon coming for the both of them.

Edited by Typical Blue Haired Dude
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Countless little lights filled the sky, and with them went the many wishes of those who watched. But no wish was going to change what was happening. While most people were enjoying the spectacle, suddenly a voice screamed out in panic.

Safe to say, it got everyone's attention, and by now everyone saw that all the lights were out. Not just the streetlights and windows, but all buildings too. Yet there was a light elsewhere. Forming on the horizon was what looked like a wall of gargantuan proportions, swallowing up skyscrapers, nay, the sky itself as it rushed past the man-made concrete structures. Panic ensued, people began to run. But as Eric and his mother turned, in their way stood a person in white robes. A red half mask blocked out his face. "Despite so many people... only one. And yet, you could be useful." But before any questions could have been made, he grabbed both him and his mother by their shirts and lifted them off the ground with not just strength. It felt as if he somehow made them float? The world around them crumbled, the ground burst open, and the wave of darkness now seemed to come from all directions.

Behind the man in white, another form of darkness formed. A hole, like a patch of black on white parchment, and into it he threw his mother without hesitation. Within the next moment, she was gone. Eric's reaction to this merely amused him. Whoever he was, some kicks and shouting weren't even phasing him. "My my. It appears you have quite the fight in you. I suggest you put it to good use." With an amused expression, he threw in Eric right after, and while he could watch the remains of his world crumble, all faded to black. His vision, and soon enough also his mind.

---

[Chapter 0: Brand new world]

Now this has been an interesting day~ First of all she woke up a bit late and got only the leftover quests (meaning the those others didn't want to do for various reasons) and ended up finding a whole pirate hideout thanks to that. Nope! It got even better when she was about to face off against the captain, and from what she could only describe as a black portal, some boy fell out and fell right on top of them. Knocking the bad guys out after that was child's play~ And to top if off, his clothes looked like nothing she saw before. Of course it was clear what she had to do. Report, and carry this living phenomenon all the way back to her guild room. It wasn't fancy, but it had a bed, and she had all she needed to wait out till he woke up. ...Except patience.

In random intervals, she would poke his cheek, hit his arm, once even considering to slap him (and deciding against it due to a vague etiquette), and ended up just standing over him, eyes focused, and her expression comparable to a child that just watched a cool looking bug. With how he looked, what would he think of her room? It was just a bed, a window, dresser, and table with a chair, but thinking about it this was her first guest. Wasn't this all just exciting?!~

• Sad 1

His joyful moment with family would soon be cut short as what came next was nothing short of an apocalypse.  The entire moment felt completely surreal, as it made no sense to him.  To think that he was simply stargazing just moments ago and now had to run for his life...what caused this?  Without thinking twice, he would grab his mother's hand and turn to run to the car, but would quickly find the mysterious figure blocking his way.  Before they could even react, the man grabbed them by the shirt and levitated up into the air, allowing the both of them to watch as their world literally crumbled into darkness.  Neither could speak a word after what they had just witnessed.  Clearly there was some inexplicable supernatural force at work which was bringing judgement upon the world, and there was nothing that either of them could do about it.

Before he knew it, Eric would witness his own mother hurled down into a black void with a wail.  In vain, he would reach out his hand out and call to her, unable to save her.  She was gone now.  The only person who ever supported him his entire life, who never gave up on him, who made him into the man he was today...that was all gone now.  In a burst of rage, he could not even shed a tear as he redirected all of his grief at the culprit behind it.  As far as he was concerned, this whole situation was his fault.  And thus, he would futilely kick and scream at the man, unable to speak intelligent words at the moment, only to make the man laugh in amusement.  Soon enough, he shared the fate of his own mother, thrown into the void where he was unable to move.  As much as he tried to, he remained frozen in a state of limbo, unable to talk or even breathe.  All he could do was watch his world fall apart into nothingness until the cold sapped away every ounce of life from his body.  Despair filled his entire being as he had no hope left to do anything but fade into nothingness.  His vision grew blurred until he could see nothing anymore.  Eventually, he stopped thinking.

---

Once he finally came to, his eyes slowly opened as his vision struggled to focus due to the bright light of the room he was in.  How long was he out?  Was it all just a nightmare?  Before he could make sense of anything, he would spot a blue-haired girl staring at him like a child.  This spooked him as his body grew wide awake and jumped back in shock.  He found his back against the bed frame as his legs kicked back some of the blanket.  He could tell right away that he wasn't back at his house, which immediately raised questions.  After what seemed like several seconds of silence, he finally mustered the courage to be able to speak.

"Who...who are you?  Where am I?"

• Like 1

Ohhhh! He moved! And not only that, he examined his surroundings. Okay okay. She had this under control. First she took a step back, give him some space and all that. Judging by how he looked, he probably wouldn't mind some personal space. And the best part? They spoke the same language. It was at this part that she beamed with a smile across her face. "I'm Eria, and this is my room." She gestured around her for all that was in sight was hers~ She stopped at the window though, and with her hand still pointing at it, "Take a look outside. I have a theory~" she said, and waited for him to do so while still leaving him enough personal space.

And what he saw through the window was... a city. But not the type he was used to. Plastered roads rather than asphalt, and the buildings weren't exactly high. At their best, just a few of them were over 3 stories tall. People here also used horses to transport things instead of cars. But the oddities didn't end there. Despite the old age, there were streetlights, and a massive crystal about the size of a 2 story house at a plaza in the distance. As for the people themselves, none had something like a blouse or jeans. Making out the materials was impossible from sight alone, but there were definitely no synthetic fibers in use, and compared to him their fashion style was outdated.

After watching his reaction, Eria nodded with a proud little huff. "You're from another world, aren't you?" His reaction basically confirmed her theory, but she got up and tidied up her bed. "I just had a hunch because of your clothing and how you appeared. The way your stuff was or is crafted literally doesn't exist. It's too perfect. And I don't see a good reason for why there are those lines on your pants." From one moment to another, the air around her changed. Where she first appeared like a child, she now appeared like an analyst. And after her bed was done, she turned back to him and reached out a hand to him for a handshake. "So... Before you rush out blindly and get in trouble, how about you tell me your name and what happened? I'm a great listener, and I'm about to head out for some food. Sound like a plan?" Was everything as fine as she tried to make it appear? Absolutely not and she knew it. But panic wouldn't help any of them, and for now she'd just do her best and try to help him settle in. It wasn't like he had any place to go.

• Woohoo 1

Without a word, he would follow the blue haired woman outside, still attempting to grasp everything that was going on.  What theory was she talking about?  Well, that question would quickly find its solution as he took a good look outside to see civilization completely different than what he was used to.  It felt rather peculiar that the setting seemed technologically behind...yet so advanced at the same time.  It felt surreal, like he was in some fantasy world.  With a dumbfounded look stuck on his face, he tried to understand everything that was going on.  Overwhelmed by this sudden change, her worlds grew muddied in the background as he could only hear his own thoughts.  Slowly he would remember everything that happened, how it all went wrong, and how he got separated from his mother...but he quickly broke free from his train of thought once he sensed the air change, seeing the woman change her demeanor into something more serious and deliberate compared to her playful and energetic nature from earlier.  As she offered her hand, he would hesitantly accept it, shaking her hand with a good grip, albeit slightly loose due to his hesitation.  It only lasted for about three seconds before he let go, wanting to introduce himself.

"I...I'm Eric.  Eric Togami.  The last thing I remember is watching the stars.  Then a large light swallowed the city and the world fell into darkness.  There was this one white-hooded figure with a red mask that threw my mother and I into a void.  She must be around somewhere, we need to find her."

She could clearly see him in distress from being separated from a family member after such a calamity occurred.  However, there was a hidden gleam of hope in his eyes, one that grew into determination to find her.  Of course, despite his emotions prompting him to go on a goose hunt for her, he knew he had to be smart about this place.  He was a complete stranger in this world and stuck out like a sore thumb.  His only option was to stay with this girl.

"It's nice to meet you...Eria.  Heh, our names are very similar.  Maybe you can tell me more about this place?"

• Like 1

He was worried, but focused, and even found the time to make a funny little remark. "I'll do my best for as long as I can. But let's take this slow for now. Because I dunno about you, but I have no idea where to start with you... Except for some food? No worries. First treat is on me." With that said she let go of his hand, and began leading the way.

The building they were in was probably looking like a mix of a tavern and office building to him. On one hand there was a reception at the ground floor, but the upper floor had some open beds, and further up starting from the 3rd floor from which he exited were private rooms. There was probably a price difference when it came to where one slept. "This is the adventurer's guild. We fight monsters, do deliveries, help out local traders, and even do the dishes. If you're looking for small jobs or are just really good at hitting things, you end up here. But it does have some perks. Like..." She guided him down the stairs to the other counter on the base level, at which a large man with a large belly put down bowls of food for paying patrons. Above him was a plate with a... modest menu. But on the bright side, Eric could read it, so no need to learn a new alphabet. "Hi! I'll have 2 portions of the daily menu. Oh! And do you have apple juice?" The man went over to her and nodded, which was met with delight as she sat down. Oddly enough the man didn't speak though when he looked at Eric. Not that he looked unfriendly. He just didn't make a peep. Then the man pointed above him to the drink menu. It offered water, beer, juice, and black tea. He probably wanted to know what Eric wanted to drink with his menu.

Their food was brought out quickly since this kitchen seemed quite well staffed and prepared. "You know. Chef here would be my favorite person-" She started, then stopped when chef put down a slip of paper down that looked like a receipt. "-If it weren't for that thing. Anyway. Grab your stuff so the next guys can order." Taking him just a bit further, they got themselves one of the smaller tables at the wall and finally got to sit down in piece. "So... Where should I start? I mean we can put up a missing person note through the guild and see what happens, but you'll need to do more than that obviously, like make a living. You can see what jobs are available over there if you're looking for something quick." She pointed to the quest board, which was full of sheets of paper simply stuck to it. Unfortunately, most of the current jobs focused on fighting. "So... Can you fight? Oh! What about laser eyes?"

• Haha 1

He was looking forward to getting that first meal, as he knew that he did not have any money on him at the moment.  He indeed would have to find a job, which she was so gracious to show him options.  He would make sure to take a look at those first thing when he was done talking to her.  Seeing that college was no longer a concern for him, his next course of action in continuing life would be to get a job.  But even finding a job would be secondary to him compared to finding his mother...that was what was important to him at the moment.

As he walked into the building, he would follow her side as she eventually pulled up the menu.  When the chef asked him for his drink, he decided to go with the trusty apple juice as well, as he could use some sugar to keep his energy up for the day.  He would first take a sip from his drink, then getting ready to take a bite of his food...only to be interrupted by Eria's barrage of questions.

"I...I'm just a college student.  I don't have any fighting skills.  And laser eyes aren't a thing in Planet Earth, I dunno if they are here but I definitely don't have them  Sorry to disappoint." 

• Like 1

Upon hearing that, she sighed. "They're not a thing here either, so my disappointment grows by the day." Well, not unless one was a monster at least, but that was a story for another time. For now she lifted the bowl to her face and slurped the warm soup, then set it down after letting out a relieved sigh. He might not be able to tell right away, but she was still exhausted from carrying him, and hungry because of that. "So anyway. I may not know what a college is, but I know what a student is. Given this is another world, which of your studies do you think still works here?" While taking more sips of her soup, she listened with interest and answered some minor questions when they were made. Conveniently his writing was nothing that needed work on, and she perked up when he mentioned math and physics. "Oh? You know you can make money with that if you are good, right? Remember the view from my window? Let me paint you a bigger picture." And with that, her introduction of the city began.

Basically, the city of Limsa used to be a pirate hideout with warring pirate crews warring over control. At some point, one of the crews started enlisting other crews into their ranks, and slaughtered those that went against their code. Over time, these Crimson Buccaneers were powerful enough to establish their rule. "At first they were on a power trip as you would expect, but eventually their captain died, and their son took over. Luckily he was not just strong but smart too, so he turned the pirate city into an actual city." Over the next years the law of the Crimson Buccaneers was modified, adapted, and where at first just trade began, a flourishing trade city developed itself. "That being said you are still surrounded by pirates, but they have a number 1 law. We do not harm our own. So funny enough one can still be looted on the open sea in a legal way, but so long as you don't point a gun at the guards, all is pretty nice. Oh! And my point is that you could work in the customs office if you like. This is a big trade city after all, but it's lacking in academics, which is where your studies could come in handy."  Taking the last sip from her owl, she set it down and went for the glass next. Somehow she managed to be eating faster than him despite being the one talking so much. "And since they also train summoners, they have a sparring arena which we can use. 2 birds with one stone, right?" Only thing left to decide was whenever he wanted a job first, or learn to fight first.

• Like 1

Her statement of disappointment seemed to genuinely wound him as he pursed his lip, slightly lowering his gaze when she showed some disinterest.  He didn't really eat much after that as he lost some of his appetite after some more unpleasant thoughts and memories began to creep back again.  While he still tried to keep conversation by asking small questions, it didn't solve any of the sorrow that he felt.  Was his world truly destroyed?  Would he ever be able to truly grasp that fact?  He wasn't too sure.  All he could do now was do what he could at the moment, and that opportunity would present itself from the suggestions that the young woman gave her.  Much to his surprise, math and physics still applied in this world, and people could still make a living out of them.  Not only that, but he could still write as their languages seemed to be the same...while he was no professor by any means, if there was any way he could contribute to the city, that would definitely help.  It was a preferred route compared to learning how to fight, as he did not plan on involving himself in any combat or "looting" as the pirates do.  Plus. he didn't exactly like fighting in the first place.

"Well, wouldn't there be a procedure for me to gain a credential to be a professor if I'm going to teach for academics?  I can't say I'm the best around, but I would like to know if I at least know enough to be able to teach.  And would the math and physics of my world apply here too?  There's a huge ass crystal outside and there's nothing like that in my home.  Forgive me if I sound crazy, but is there some sort of magic in this world or something?  You did mention summoners after all."

He wasn't sure if he could quite fully wrap his head around everything yet.  it was definitely a lot to catch up with, as it meant disregarding practically everything he knew back in his own home.

• Like 1

Now things were getting interesting. He started asking questions instead of just letting everything roll over him. Leaning a bit forward onto the table, she put on a neutral expression. "That depends where you apply. Limsa is... a simple city so to speak. Only a few jobs here require academics, so employers aren't picky about degrees so long as someone has the brains. Math is a universal language. You should have similar odds in Gridania, but Ul'dah will be more difficult. But look. You have enough to unpack already, let's get to those places later.

1 hand plus another always makes 2 hands. 10 fingers. 30 finger bones in total. When the basics are identical, and I dare say they are, the rest is the same too. I guess physics could be somewhat different, but the formulas should be the same.

But if you want me to explain magic, let's talk on our way to the customs office. You don't wanna go hungry tonight, do you?" She wasn't going to just leave him out in the open and without a meal of course, but he would need to adapt quick to make it in this world. And she really wanted him to make it. In a way, she could relate to having lost a world. Next she urged him to either eat up or surrender the remaining soup to her, and after that was dealt with, she took him back to the counter.

A little bit later, Eric had successfully put up a missing person warrant, and Eria helped him get a guild card. By his standards, it was like an ID of sorts which listed his name, occupation, a picture (probably put on there through magic means) and description. Judging by what the receptionist told him, it would allow him to take on all sorts of jobs later. "Now then." Eria started, while making sure they walked close enough to each other to not get separated. "Let's talk about magic~" On the bright side, her enthusiastic side returned, so her explanation was about to get some emotions in. "Magic works by manipulating aether which is both all around us, but also inside us. If you want me to explain how to manipulate it, you might as well ask me what a soul is. Some people just can do it, while others can not. Magic itself has many fields. Summoning, Black and White magic, are the most known ones. But Palladins can use their own version of white magic just like how Dark Knights can use some kind of damaging magic. What I'm trying to say is that magic isn't exclusive to pointy hats and staffs like it was in the past. And if gets really weird, people can do things like this." With a grin on her face, she made a fist and raised it just a bit in front of her. By the looks of it, it burst in a blue slow burning flame in an instant, but there was no warmth coming from it. "Even I don't know what this is, but I do know that I can beat up plenty of monsters and bad guys with it~" Maintaining it seemed to take only focus from her, and her fist continued to produce this gently glowing aura as they kept walking. "Go oooon~ I know you wanna say something. Wanna touch?" Pretty much out of nowhere she held her fist to him. And it was honestly harmless. Whatever she used was only harmful when she needed it to be, and upon touching it, it felt... warm. Somehow, dipping even just a finger in made it feel as if Eric's body was getting changed, stronger, maybe even lighter?

• Like 1

Well, she definitely seemed optimistic about his chances for teaching.  Could he really pull it off?  Well, it was either that or become this world's equivalent of a gladiator, and he would much prefer not to resort to such tactics.  Thankfully, she helped him set up his guild card and the missing person post, which he felt was accurate enough to make her distinct.  Normally someone with blue hair would stick out more easy, but it looked like everything was fair game in this world, especially since Eria herself also had blue hair.  As for her magic explanation, however, he followed by her side and paid close attention to whatever she had to say.  Would this be the same as all of the fiction back in Earth?  Regardless of what it was, what she showed him next surpassed his own expectations.  As her fist grew blue flames out of sheer aura, his jaw dropped in awe.  Was he hallucinating?  He might as well be, this all felt like some sort of dream...but it felt all too real for it to be.

"...To think that magic like this is a real thing.  So many fictional works talked about magic, but I never imagined it to be like this..." Letting his curiosity rule over his caution, he poked her fist and underwent a strange warmth that started at the tip of his finger, then spreading across his body.  Why did he feel more awake after that?  Almost as if something latent within him arose after experiencing what aura was.  Even if he was no fighter...he wanted more of this.  He wanted to learn more about controlling his own life force.  "Is there any way you can teach me this power?  I feel something...different in me after feeling your aura."  If he was being honest, part of the reason he wanted to learn about aura mad something to do with his fascination with Dragon Ball and the power of ki.  Heck, the idea of creating energy beams seemed possible now, and he was ready to leap on that opportunity!

• Like 1

Did he just say he felt different? Eria was definitely curious about this, but it wasn't much to go on. "Doubt it. People can lean things like riding on horseback and how to cook, but learning a power is... Huh." Actually that was the standard of her world. But he wasn't from her world. "Though... We could try something. It's not like the rules I know HAVE to apply to you, know what I mean? But give me a bit to think of something, and get you a job in the meantime." If this had any potential, she couldn't mind giving it a try. Worst case scenario: He gets stuck in an office job. Not much to lose here.

After a few more moments, the two of them arrived at the customs office. A large 3 story building with huge double doors, currently locked into an open position. The inside looked awfully familiar to what Eric would expect from an office. Multiple counters with lines of people waiting in front of them while holding papers. But while most counters were full, one was completely empty. Job applications. "Well... I'm still busy thinking. How about you take the lead for a bit?" Not like he needed her help when it came to presenting himself. She did however suddenly pull him close and to the side. "Almost forgot. If anyone asks, you have amnesia and woke up in my bed a while ago. I get that it's a lie, but if I didn't see you drop out of a black portal, I would think you are crazy and call the guards. And amnesia is a common problem since the 6th umbral calamity... which I will tell you about in a bit." Luckily she remembered mid sentence that he didn't even know what an umbral calamity is. They would have a lot to cover, but him not knowing anything at all at least worked into the favor of an amnesia excuse. Letting out a sigh from knowing she would have to go over that subject while trying to train him, she found herself a bench to sit on and let Eric head to the counter on his own, giving her time to figure out how to structure everything.

• Like 1

Well, at least their training gave him something to look forward to.  That being said...as Eria would throw him into the unknown, he would feel his panic slowly rising as this meant he would have to try to find a job all on his own without help.  Just how would he even be able to apply for everything, even with that excuse she gave him?  And this umbral calamity...was that what happened to his home?  Maybe.  He would have to ask her later on, but for now, he would have to get a job.  Swallowing the bile that rose in his throat from the nervousness, he would slowly approach the job applications counter and give the best smile he could, waving friendly at the receptionist.

"Hello!  Pleased to meet you, my name is Eric.  I was wondering if I could apply for a job here.  Could you walk me through the application procedure real quick?"

Hopefully he was calm enough to leave a good first impression.  Hopefully she wouldn't question his attire, as he just realized that he had no time to go shopping for new clothes in order to blend in more with his surroundings.  Man, he really should have thought things through when looking for that job, but then again...so should have Eria.

• Like 1

The woman greeted Eric with a polite greeting and a raised hand, then handed him a form. "Technically it's simple. Just fill this out and come back once you are done." After handing him a pen and a piece of wood to put the paper on to write better, she gestured to the benches beside the counter and let him fill out the form.

The first few fields were simple enough. Name, age, race, and basically something everyone could fill out. Then however came math. The first few questions were on grade school level, and increased in difficulty until the equivalent of 10th grade math came up. On the bright side, he seemed to get all the time he needed.

When he was done, the receptionist took the form, wood, and pen from him. "Hm..." and began looking it over. "Just a minute." And went into a back area. But instead of her, a short redhead came back instead, holding his form. Funny enough, it was obvious she used some sort of ladder to even look properly over the counter. Probably a little stool at least. "Eric Togami?" Her voice was calm in tone, almost as if she was only half there. But her eyes gave a different impression. She was focused on him. "I'm here to tell you that you passed, with flying colors even. Which means either you cheated, or you really are smart. I'm sorry if I misjudge you, but we did have certain incidents in the past." Getting a blank form was not really difficult. All one needed was one form and quick feet. And judging by his... unusual but practical looking clothing, he was not one of the slow ones. Maybe not slow in the head too. "You're not in danger. Even if you cheated, you managed to obtain and process information. This is essentially what working in the customs office is about. We process every crate that gets through the harbor, apply taxes, check for illicit goods, and punish those who try to bring harmful substances into our city. Just one question: Why do you want to work here of all places?" Most people went for the ships to work as members of a crew. There was literally ALWAYS work there. If not there, there was also a restaurant she was fond of that could use another pretty face. Perhaps his motivation would clear things up.

• Like 1

Well, that seemed easy enough...he was honestly expecting higher-level math, perhaps even for college level engineering.  Perhaps he was just being too paranoid.  He took solace in knowing that his education would pay off at least somewhat, as now he could use that information to get a real job here.  His mother would be proud to see him already adapting to this new world and getting a job...how he missed her so.  Just you wait, mom...I'll find you as soon as I can and nothing in this world or the next will be able to stop me.

Once again, however, he would find his thoughts interrupted as the woman questioned why he wanted to work at the customs office.  The new girl, who was rather shorter and unbelievably cute, seemed somewhat suspicious of him.  Maybe she was a higher-rank in the office?  No matter.  Now was the time for him to see if his amnesia excuse would work.

"Ah, honestly...I'm not entirely sure.  I really don't remember much about myself apart from my name.  I sorta had a feeling that I was better suited for a place like this, because I managed to retain some of the things I've learned in the past, but I'm not sure how or why I learned it.  Plus, I don't think I'm very experienced with physical labor or customer service."

Was it really a good idea for him to come here?  Despite his calm demeanor, he felt a rising sense of uneasiness inside, as if any moment they would call security and interrogate him.  Why did Eria have to leave him all by himself...he'd be sure to complain to her about it after all this was done.

• Like 1

Quite satisfied with his answer, Uni nodded and a little smile formed on her. "So you choose to go with a reasonable approach rather than with an impulse. I can respect that." While the smile on her face remained, the mood of the conversation went back to the more serious note. "But this job can also be dangerous. Keep in mind that certain traders do not like us very much. Sometimes we even escort cargo to the towns around, and it wouldn't be a first to hear about pirates or monsters to try and take whatever you transport. So... How about this?" She went under the table to look for something, and after an audible thud, she slowly rose up again with a flushed expression. "..." She might not have said anything about it, but it was obvious she didn't want to hear a single word about how that sound was made. Regardless, she pushed a badge and a sheet of paper to him. "Anyway." She continued after a sigh. "How about you try a small and simple job first and see if this line of work is something for you at all? We expect a shippment, but it hasn't arrived yet. With this badge and document, you have to find the carriage that was supposed to arrive and help them out if they need a hand. Granted, you will have to head out of Limsa, but the monsters in that area are very weak, and it is too close to the guards for pirates to try anything. Can you do that?"

• Woohoo 1

He definitely seemed concerned when he heard that thump sound and could connect the dots with what happened.  He was too respectful to say anything about it as he could tell she would rather he not mention it.  He quietly listened to whatever she explained, seeing now that he had to take care of some cargo outside of town.  Well, it was good that they were giving him a test trial, but he was unsure whether or not he could pull off the task now...well, it shouldn't have been a problem.  Still, maybe he should make sure he could defend himself before going outside the city.

"I'll do my best.  Thank you for the opportunity.  Once I take care of this task, will I be seeing you more often?  If so, I would like to know your name."

He felt no need to introduce himself as she already knew his name now.  However, this girl intrigued her for some reason, and he wanted to get to know her more.  Maybe they could eventually be friends...considering he no longer really had any besides maybe Eria.

• Like 1

That was an... oddly kind thought. She chuckled and answered in a much kinder tone than her usual one. "My name is Uni. I'll save the speeches for later. But for now, thank you for your hard work." It was at this moment that footsteps approached from behind, and Eria joined the conversation. "Hiya. Mind if we use a sparring room first?" Eria's addition was a bit odd for Uni, but it made sense that they practiced first. Uni looked over a form, then nodded to them. "While the shipment is needed, it is not urgent. Use room 3 if you like. Just make sure you get the job done before it gets done. Consider it practice for your future schedule." "Awesome!" Eria blurted out, and took Eric by his arm to practically drag him to another portion of the customs office.

Down a few stairs was an absurdly long hallway with each of the doors being far apart from the next one. Eria (still dragging her new companion along in a rushed pace) went straight for room 3 and went inside with him. The inside of the room was a large dome with a few draining dummies and targets set up somewhat randomly. It was only now that she let go of him. "I figured it out~! What you felt before? I think it was a resonance. Simply put, we might have accidentally awakened your aura when you took some of mine. So if all works out, you can do this now." Eria took a few steps forward and crossed her arms in front of her, suddenly creating a large and round blue shield. Next she dropped it and gathered light in her feet, only to dash forward at the next instant and kick the head of a wood dummy clean off. "And the best part?" Eria made a wide motion with her arm, almost touching the ground as if she tried to gather snow, and suddenly had a blue ball of energy in her hands. When she threw it, it exploded on a round target mark, shattering it in one try. "Pretty cool, right~?" Her cocky grin said it all. She was proud of every single of those moves and in just the right mood to brag a little.

But she wasn't here just to show off of course. "Consider that a preview. For now, let's cover the basics. Aura is divided into 3 categories. Force, boost, and sense. Force allows you to create or manipulate something around you. Boost can make you stronger and faster, but also make the whole world slower from your perspective. And sense can let you know things others can not, such as how strong someone is, or where everything around you is. In descending order, they will tax your body and stamina, so while it really is a cool feeling to just blow everything up, you have to use your smarts. Can you follow me so far?" Not that it was complicated, but best make sure. Upon hearing there was no problem, Eria went over to his side and sat down on the ground. "Make yourself comfortable. Because before you can try any of that, we have to teach you how to bring it out. No worries. I know a ridiculously easy trick."

"First, take a deep breath. Blur out everything but my voice. Imagine a void around you, nothing but grey." She gave him a moment, then continued. "Now I want you to draw a circle in front of you. A big one. As big as a door, and fill it with the blackest black you can imagine. But where is dark, there is always light. Imagine it, in its center. Give it a shape... and reach for it." Usually when Eria did it, she got that gentle blue flame around her fist. It was a way to clear one's thoughts and focus them on channeling Aura. When he would reach for the light, what would appear in his hand she wondered.

• Like 1

Eria seemed to come in at the exact moment she needed to, as he was about to go ask her to train him.  Perhaps she overheard that he got the job and wanted to make sure he was prepared for what was to come next.  Before he could even speak a word, however, she yanked him out of the room and forcefully dragged him into the training room.  Shame, he would've at least liked to talk to Uni a little more...ah well, maybe some other time.  He would definitely be seeing more of her if he was going to work there.  That being said, he would focus and listen intently to her explanation, finding himself blown away once more when she created an aura shield and then kicked the head of a dummy clean off!  She sure liked to show off, didn't she?  Well, he would be lying when he said that he wasn't impressed by what she was pulling off.  She had a reason to show off, after all.

Hearing about the three different kinds of auras, he would get ready to say what kind of aura control he would like to try...only to have her quickly interrupt him yet again.  Geez, she sure liked to talk, didn't she?  He'd have to make sure she would calm down later on, but maybe she was only talking a lot to catch him everything up.  For now, he'd bear with it.  Speaking no words, he would heed her words and try to meditate in order to bring the latent power within...tuning everything out except her voice, he would focus on this supposed void...only to have his meditation slowly evolve into trauma as he reminisced the end of his world as he knew it.  The black nothingness he tried to envision made his body turn cold.  His face began to turn pale as he saw Earth collapse and plunge into darkness...and he would see that white headed figure above it all, who decided to spare his life and his mother's for some unknown reasons.

Feeling his legs buckle and his forehead break into a nervous sweat, he took a few steps back, too ashamed to even look at Eria in the eyes.  Why was he so afraid...why did this hold him back so much?  Damn it!  

"...The void haunts me, Eria.  When I try to empty my mind, all I can see is Earth being destroyed, and everyone with it...it's like I can still hear their screams.  I don't know if I can focus like this, because I fear that the void will only consume me like it did everyone else..."

She could sense that his fear would soon drive him to the point of being inconsolable and illogical if she didn't think quick.  Fresh wounds like this took a lot of time to heal.

• Like 1

Her excitement quickly faded to a confused expression. Why wasn't anything appearing? The answer came quick as his expression changed to one of shame and fear. But despite the fear seemingly taking over, the next thing he would feel was warmth on his shoulder. Taking a peek, he'd see that it came from Eria who went behind him and put a hand on his shoulder. "It's scary, I know. In one moment everything seems fine, and in the next there is literally nothing." While still serious, the tone in her voice was gentle. "But you know what is different from before? I'll be there when you need me, and hey, the office girl liked you too I think. And even if she isn't here now, your mom is still here too. What I'm trying to say is..." Well... He wouldn't mind right? Without thinking much about it, she wrapped her arms around him from behind, sharing her warmth with his body and continue quietly. "You're not alone."

• Love 1

He would look to see where this warmth was.  This sudden vulnerability she showed completely took him by surprise as he saw her hugging him.  Her soft and gentle voice reassured him...in ways, she reminded him of his own mother.  He could take some solace in that.  "You're right, Eria...thank you."  He would hold her close to him, their height difference evident as her face just reached his shoulder.  He held her there for a few seconds, wanting to savor this moment just for a bit.  This was the first time he felt someone truly care for him after his incident, and he cherished it.  Even though he knew next to nothing about this world and the power of aura...just being by her side would help him pull through.  "If you need me for anything at all, just let me know..."

. . .

" I ' m   h e r e   f o r   y o u   t o o . . . " 

----------

Eric laid down on the floor, hunched over as he took a beating on his body and face.  A trickle of blood trailed down the side of his face from the cut on his forehead, his right cheek and his chest left bruised as he struggled to breathe on the floor.  A group of three high school males stood laughing at him, one of them even kicking him over as he groaned in pain.  These three picked on him on a frequent basis, but he managed to turn the wrong alley way when he found them outside of school, and now they cornered him and left him at their mercy.  He didn't even understand why they picked on him in the first place, but for some reason, he was too afraid to fight back, so he just took the beating without a word.  Maybe it was because he was used to being bullied over countless years.  Maybe his passiveness encouraged them to keep beating him up, but he couldn't do anything now.  All he could do was hope that they'd eventually leave him alone.

A few seconds later, he'd hear someone shout at them to leave him alone.  After a few disgruntled complains, he'd hear footsteps fade.  As he mustered up some courage to peak, he'd see a short-haired girl his age reach out to him with her hand.  He figured out that she managed to drive the bullies away, as she was one of the toughest girls in the school they went to, due to being in the sports team.  It was a one-in-a-million chance for him to befriend her, but it managed to work out as they became the closest of friends.  Since that day, he managed to work up enough confidence to step up to the group that bullied him, and they left him alone ever since.  From that day on, he vowed to her and to himself that he would do whatever he could to stand up for those who needed protection and for those he cared about.  Even today, he felt like he owed her for that one day.  Even if he could not directly pay her back now that she was most likely gone along with everyone else, he could still fulfill his goal for her sake.  He could live on, for her and for the others.

----------

As Eric held Eria close to her while he recalled that memory, she would feel a new warmth surround her body.  When she opened her eyes, she would see his entire body radiate a clear aura, and that aura enveloped her entire body as well, giving her a sense of comfort and tranquility.  She could see and even feel the sheer amount of raw power he had, and yet that made his presence all the more soothing for her.  Although this was a clear sign that he did not have much control over his aura still, he could still do well with the proper training.  He himself would realize this as he opened his eyes, frozen for a bit in surprise before separating himself from the hug and gazing upon his own body.  He would move his arms around, turning his hands as he grew fascinated with his own aura.  He could feel the power flowing through his body...a kind of power that he never experienced before.  For the first time in his life, he felt like he was able to protect something, protect someone, finally strong enough to do it...until he remembered what Eria mentioned about how much it taxed is body.

"Uhhh....how do I turn it off?"

• Love 1

Before long, his Aura showed and surrounded his body in a gentle warmth. Even better: It pretty much surrounded Eria too~ But as much as she would have liked to enjoy the feeling a bit longer, there was a time and place for that and this was neither, so she stepped back to let him inspect himself. "You just have to "will" it. Aura is controlled by your thoughts and will. Try taking a deep breath and relax. ...Or you might explode." If not through relaxation, the little shock would do the trick. "See? And not a scratch on you. But let's move on real quick. You should already feel stronger, so I'd say test your new strength, speed, and reaction time by hitting a dummy. But I think we'll save up sense and burst for later. Wouldn't want to keep the job waiting for too long, right? And some stuff comes naturally anyway."

She went over to one of the more simple targets. Basically just one somewhat large log with an x at its bottom as feet, and about her size, picked it up effortlessly, and tossed it over to him like it was some toy. A roughly 50 KG heavy toy. Only... it didn't quite feel that way. It was as if it was made from plastic or a similarly light material. "Surprised already? Remember that I already learned how to feel how strong someone is. I wouldn't put you into an arena just yet, but I assume you can lift about triple that if you wanted. And now seriously. Have some fun. You can even use those."  She pointed behind him towards a crate. Out of it stuck practice weapons. Nothing lethal however. The edges of swords were dulled on purpose, the lances had wooden balls instead of the actual tip, a set of gauntlets were simply made of leather and rubber instead of metal, and a simple thin pole served its purpose as quarterstaff. There were also some variously sized shields, all looking rather cheap, but dependable for at least some time. Eria however went out of anywhere behind the dummy because she was not planning to get hit by flying parts. If she could kick off the head of a more complex one, she was not going to take a simple one to the face if she had any say in it. Instead, she went about 5 meters to Eric's left and waited.

• Love 1

"...I'm gonna pretend you didn't mention that 'explode' part."

Taking a deep breath, he would attempt to power down his body by calming down, which proved to be effective as his aura faded away.  Despite powering down, however, he could feel a clear strength in his body that he didn't feel moments prior to this revelation of aura.  Then, he would mindlessly react to Eria tossing him the large toy by catching it, against his initial fears of it being too heavy.  She could easily witness the dumbfounded expression on his face when he realized the actual weight of the log and how effortlessly he was holding it.  No man in his world would have been capable of that power, and yet here he was!  He could even wear weighted clothing now if he wanted to, like in so many of those shows he wanted.  He would keep that in mind as she explained to him all of the weapons and options available in the room.  However, he wanted to see what his bare fists could do first.  He never fought a day in his life, but he had seen enough through videos to know the basics.  Moving his right foot back, sliding it to the side a little, he would focus his aura on his legs, using the Force aspect of his aura to gain a speed boost that allowed him to leap forward at breakneck speeds.  Then trying to focus his energy in his fist, a clear ring of aura enveloped it until his hand absorbed it.  Arching his arm backwards, he would wait for the right moment before launching a powerful haymaker to the dummy's chest, the impact of the force being so intense that not only did it shatter the dummy entirely but sent shards of its remains flying in a spread shot manner.  Of course, being the novice he is, it looked like his tactics utilized raw power as opposed to specialized tactics, and while that was not a bad thing, he would have to either refine his strategy or grow so strong that it wouldn't matter.

"...Damn.  Never in my life would I have imagined doing something like this.  Kinda hard to believe that this isn't just some strange dream I'm in."

• Like 1