Confirmations for leaving the page if writing a post

What is says on the tin. If I had a penny for every time I closed a page by accident and had to rewrite my entire post from scratch, I'd have around a dozen pennies. And that's way too many pennies!

What I'm suggesting is to add a prompt to confirm whenever a tab is closed while there is still text in the "new post" box (or any text-box if possible), to avoid instances of mistakenly ereasing all of one's written content. I'm sure it would save people many frustrations.

Edited by Icarian Dreams

• Community Administrator

I too have fallen foul of this, on a post in a topic I was editing (It was the draft to the Statistically Dreaming article, I believe):

unknown.png

So I know all too well how this feels. Some people have taken to writing their posts in Google Docs/Word/Libre Office/(Insert Text Editor here) and just copy and paste it into EcchiDreams afterwards which allows them to do a comprehensive spelling and grammar check as well. I know that @Neptune prefers to do it this way because of old habits in the EcchiDreams early days. But...

The text editor is supposed to save what you've done, for just exactly this scenario. However it doesn't always work, in fact it doesn't work more often than it works, and I believe the blame for this lies purely at the desk of IPS. There's not much we can do about it.

However; adding a prompt that asks you if you're sure that you want to go back if there is unsaved changes in the text box should certainly be possible, and I will look into it. Anything to stop this from happening would be nice, I agree. Please understand that even us Administrators are burnt with this from time to time, so we certainly understand.

Edited by Tema
Spelling. You can tell that I didn't do that in *Insert Text Editor here* before copying and pasting it over.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Novaer said:

The text editor is supposed to save what you've done, for just exactly this sincero. However it doesn't always work, in fact it doesn't work more often than it works, and I believe the blame for this lies purely at the desk of IPS. There's not much we can do about it.

True, I've noticed that; I still sometimes see the "ghosts" of some of my replies (some of which even already posted). I may be wrong, but I believe that said saving system works mostly when changing/quitting the page via EcchiDreams interface - and not if you do it the "hard way", by, for example, closing the browser tab.

I appreciate that you'll be taking your time to look into it. It's one of these small quality of life things that you don't really think of until it happens to you, so it's good to hear that you can relate to my pain :')

• 1 year later...

This sight really needs to fix this problem,  this has happen to me 3 times and I wrote so much to to go back to the tab and find it all gone!  You  cant even go away from the tab for too long, i was in the meddle of writing something and I went back to find an old draft from a previous post!  I am on another RP sight with a better writing format, it saves what you wrote and has a button to put back things incase you made mistakes. Plus, you can extend the box.  This is the site.  https://blackdahliaroleplaying.com/

I am considering stop writing here all together because of having to write half a page YET AGAIN!

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up