Video editing enthusiasts.

Hello everyone.

I am still fairly new and inexperienced to video editing and in case there are others here who do the same thing, I wanted to make this topic to talk about your experiences, ideas, former and current projects et cetera.

Basically, I am eager to improve as a video editor and make varied content, try new techniques and possibly get recommended better software for newbies like myself.

So my first question would be this?

Do any of you know any free software that makes it easy to try out different techniques, effects and so on?

I have had trouble finding out how to do stuff like overall two videos with each other and how to incorporate gif files on my videos.

So far, the most I have done, is simple cutting, which is insanely basic, so I want to improve a lot more!

I have edited a few videos on my BitChute channel. The biggest project being Discount Django Unchained.

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/a5lge5QMICbS/

• JennyDK changed the title to Video editing enthusiasts.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been professionally editing film for many years now and I get this question a lot. The best option for a free (and powerful) editing tool is DaVinci Resolve. Initially I used it for color grading, but now I use it for all my editing needs, aside from compositing/3d modeling which I do in Aftereffects.

There is a relatively steep learning curve, if youre unfamiliar with a high end time-line piece of software, but its the best option, just download it and dive in.

I'm certain there are plenty of YouTube guides, and the user manual is always available, even if lengthy and boring. I was fairly well versed using FinalCut and AfterEffects before transitioning to DaVinci Resolve so I just kind of rolled with it. If there is something in particular you need help with, just shoot me a message and I'll see what I can do.

The truth is, learn a few of the important hot keys, like cutting tool, magnet, etc.

I just took a peek at a few in your link and I have a better idea of your angle now. If you want to continue doing compilation videos/Mashup style, DaVinci may be a bit overkill for what you're trying to do. Its primarily used for professional level color grading and Metadata burn-ins, but functions very well as a standard timeline editor. It runs on key framing for any motion or alterations.

The compilations are just quick stuff done purely for easy shitposting.

I still want to improve and learn new techniques and effects. Nothing too complex, but enough to do something more advanced than currenctly.

I have attempted to use a GIF file inside a video as well as trying to overly a video with another. Those are the main ones I wish to be able to do.

Always. My bread and butter is usually bullshit/boring commercials for tech startups. The more fun things are live music and creative projects. I just wrapped up a nature documentary contract and there's a shitty horror movie that lost most of its funding that is on the back burner.

You'd be surprised how many people want your help when you record music/film and can edit, haha.

Archived