Preference sheet addition: sub/dom.

Here's something I run into a lot. Let's say I'm looking to be on the recieveing end of femdom, as I often am. I look at the preference sheet of a bisexual roleplayer and...alright, they have "female domination" marked yes! BUT that only tells me part of what I need to know. Now I need to ask them if they marked that because they like to be the one doing the dominating or if they just like to be submissive to other girls. A lot of people don't think to clarify in their preferences whether they like to play sub or dom. It leads to me having to ask people something I think is pretty basic info that should have been on their page to begin with.

I propose a new dropdown menu in the preference sheet, labeled "Sub/Dom Preference", with the following options:

• Unspecified
  • Submissive only
  • Submissive lean
  • Switch
  • Dominant lean
  • Dominant only

Of course, Unspecified is a valid option for those who prefer not to include sub/dom dynamics in their roleplays.

There's a lot I'd like to see done with preferences, but this is probably the most glaring omission in my eyes. It would tell me at a glance whether I should bother getting in touch with someone or not.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Community Administrator

I'm not sure about this. This seems to me like it is something that you can add into the more details area. As the presigned menus in there are for the actual roleplaying itself. Otherwise we'll be getting to the point where we're going to start breaking down everything like this, like Adult Baby: Do you like to be the mummy, daddy or the baby -- for example. 

I will have a think about going into more details for the new platform/framework we're working on. But generally speaking right now; you can easily use the description area to write in more details about your preferences. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Take care and kind regards.

In general I do think that the way ED does preferences is not overdone, which is great. It would be easy for the preference options to be bogged down with every little detail of the most obscure kinks and make everyone's preference a chore to read, which I absolutely have seen elsewhere. Rest assured I would never ask for that.

However there's a good reason I single out the sub/dom kink -- it's about as far from niche as you can get. It can apply to practically any roleplay and it's something almost everyone has a (often strong) preference about. Also I'd wager those who enjoy including sub/dom dynamics in any given roleplay outnumber those who don't.

Yes, it can be mentioned in the More Details area, as all things can be, but in many cases people don't mention it there and then when you go to talk to them it turns out they have an unyielding preference one way or the other. Once you've unwittingly approached enough incompatible roleplayers this way it begins to feel like the preference sheets aren't fulfilling their purpose as effectively as they could be.

I'd like to express my opinion on this, since this is a "problematic" I've faced a few times, which caused quite a bit of misunderstandings, both coming from my side and others roleplayers as well.

I lost the count of how many people had "female domination" listed on their preference, but actually wanted to receive it, not being the ones in charge of it, and I talked to lots of people who actually wanted to roleplay with me, taking a leading role, but I ended up turning them down, since they had "female domination" in their nono list, so basically, it's the opposite of the scenario I just explained.

Personally, I feel like this would make a fine addicion, obviously most people won't care at all about this, but I do, since I almost never take leading roles, unless I'm writing with partners I am really close with, who make me feel at ease. And goodness, it's always so compicated! however I do recognize that turning the preference sheet into something like a kink list you find on a BSDM site, would be very counterintuitive, and quite frankly, stupid.

Personally, in my years of experience on ED, I always and I mean always had troubles finding an agreement with other possible partners, because turns out I'm not the only one who has this problem! sure, most of the ladies here prefer submissive roles and most of the guys prefer dominant roles so usually, there's no problem at all, but still, I feel like the current preference sheet can be a little bit tricky, to say the least (granted, most people are so NOT NICE and don't even look at it because they don't want to! I wish I could kick them in the face!).

I think that what @Alexander Bodide suggests would be really helpful, and I don't feel like anyone would dislike it! I don't believe it would cause confusion, because people can just unspecify it or specify their personal preferences, writing them down

• Community Administrator

To be honest, I've always wanted the preferences to be more than what they currently are. However we are pretty limited in what we can actually do. I have actually started a more expansive list of things we have missed out, including a bit more of a clear separation in regards to sub/dom. So I am certainly leaning towards agreement to this. I'll have to look at the work I've already done on this and talk to @Novaer about it. 

Seeing as he wants to talk to me about it, we can sit and have a nice discussion... maybe over some tea and crumpets xP

• Like 1