Isekai Workshop (pH_Scale x Lusterless Nova)

There was water all around her, water in her clothes, water in her socks, water in her hair and she officially had ENOUGH WATER! Not that she could complain about that to anyone considering she was alone in her boat as it got kicked around in the waves. All she could do was use the one rudder that wasn't broken and try her best to steer towards land. She could see it clearly since quite a while now after all. It was the whole reason she jumped ship in one of the boats. That, and she wasn't exactly allowed to be on that ship in the first place and was not looking forward to talk with the harbor authorities... or the pissed captain.

Her arms felt as if they were about to fall off, her whole face felt dry from the salt water that the waves splashed in her face, but with heavy breath, she did it! The boat stopped when she steered it into the sand, and slightly rushed left it there. "Hah... Hah..." Not good. She hasn't eaten in a while, her vision was starting to get blurry. She was about to pass out, no doubt. "Please be dry, please be dry, please be dry... and don't blow off my hand." She reached into the pocket she sew into her mantle and YES! The paper somehow remained dry! She took out a red paper tube and was overjoyed~ All that was left to do now was to aim for the sky, the other hand on the line, and PULL! With a whistle at first, and then with a BANG, a flare shot up in the air. She admired the red ball that now floated in the air, illuminating even this rainy day... and passed out on her back. At least that much strength she still had left and at least didn't end up face first in the sand.

@Lusterless Nova

The blue-haired girl would awaken, facing a wooden ceiling. No longer was she in the sandy beaches where she barely managed to launch out a shining red ball, calling for help. No longer could she smell the scent of seawater, nor taste the salt from it. The memory was still fresh though, but where was she?

Should she turn her head or sit up to take a look around, she would see she was in a small room in what appeared to be a log cabin. There was a single window on one side, letting in midday sunshine, while a closet and a desk plus chair sat opposite of the bed. The bed itself was nothing remarkable, a simple white sheet and pillow and a light green blanket. Her clothes had been changed too, to a simple white dress. Clearly, someone had taken her here. Someone had responded to the red orb in the sky. The question was, was she found by the right people or the wrong people?

The door to the room then opened slowly and in came a figure. A boy with short-red hair and a pair of glasses upon his eyes. He wore simple robes, indicating he was likely a mage of sorts. He was startled to see the blue-haired girl awake and frantically spoke. "O-Oh! Y-You're awake!" He struggled to find the words, clearly not expecting the situation. "Umm, are you okay? Are you feeling hurt anywhere? I-I tried to nurse you back as best I can with advice from the neighbors."

"I-I'm Nick Gallagher, by the way. I responded to your distress flare as fast as I could and found you on the beach." Nick stammered some more. "...You didn't have much injuries on you so my healing magic was useless. You were just really, really tired."

spacer.png

Edited by pH_Scale
  • Like 1

A couple hours passed but she eventually moved a bit, and her eyes slowly opened. She took in her surroundings first. A log cabin? Either heaven was very much overhyped, or she made it to dry land and was found. Even better? She still had her hand~ She could tell since she used it to get herself up, and just a few looks around the place later, someone came in. A redhead with glasses on his nose. She would usually fawn over how he was kinda cute, but her head felt heavy and hot. She put her hand on her head as he asked how she felt. "I think I'm getting a fever, slightly worried that you saw me naked, but otherwise?" With her other hand she gave him a thumb's up and a bit of a smile. "Still alive~"

She re.positioned herself a little moving forward a bit, and wrapped herself in the sheets as she sat up on the bed. "It's fine, it's fine. Not like you had much choice. Can't recover well in wet clothes after all right? So thank you for saving me Nicky~ I'm Eria." If this was some more cliche situation, it would probably be expected of her to slap him. What a bunch of nonsense! Eria was well aware that she received help from a stranger, and she was not going to act out of an emotion. That's what she had that big brain for after all, right?

So he was a caster of sorts? Neat. "I guess it's because most healing magic is focused to be used the battlefield. Great for stitching some wounds together, not so great for curing a cold." Then it hit her. His choice of words. "Wait... What did you just call my light?" She heard the word again... huh. She eyed him skeptically, like a little girl that just found a horse with a fake horn as her birthday present. "Saaaay... Imagine for a moment that I have a bottle with a black bubbly liquid in it, and a red label with white writing on that label. What would you write on it?" Long shot, but people in this day and age didn't know what a flare was. It literally didn't exist yet.

• Like 1

@Lusterless Nova

On 27/03/2021 at 11:33, Lusterless Nova said:

"It's fine, it's fine. Not like you had much choice. Can't recover well in wet clothes after all right? So thank you for saving me Nicky~ I'm Eria."

Nick was amused at the girl's cheerful attitude. "Heh, you're welcome, Eria. And don't worry about me seeing you naked, I had the girls of this village change your clothes." He assured Eria, not that it looked like she needed any. "I'm not that insensitive. Nor that desperate."

On 27/03/2021 at 11:33, Lusterless Nova said:

"Wait... What did you just call my light? Saaaay... Imagine for a moment that I have a bottle with a black bubbly liquid in it, and a red label with white writing on that label. What would you write on it?"

"Your light? The 'distress flare'?" It was then that Nick realized that there might not be 'flares' of any kind in this world yet. Oof, how would he explain this? Well, this one excuse usually worked. "Oh, you probably don't know what that is. It's something from my hometown that's very similar to... what you did. Don't worry about it." He tried to sound as convincing as he could. Nick didn't know if the lie worked to all those who listened to it but unless he was pressed on it, then it was good enough.

As for the second question, "A black liquid with a red label and white writing..." Nick thought about it for a moment. Oh man, he wasn't ready for a quiz. He hasn't encountered any such potions or solutions in this world so far. "W-Well, that would depend on what the black liquid is, I suppose." He gave his honest answer about it. "S-Sorry if I don't know what that is. I haven't exactly traveled that much."

• Like 1

"Hm..." Her eyes narrowed. She didn't buy it. Buuuuut it probably wasn't worth to push it. So she just flopped back and pulled the sheets over her. "I guess that's a good point." So much for her attempt. But on to a more pressing matter. "Hey Nicky? Can you keep me around for a day or two? I think either my head is about to explode, or I have a fever. And I don't think I can afford a doctor right now, nor an inn." Granted she had a few coins, but those would cover food for 2 weeks at best, not food and stay. And it wasn't like she was going to find a job instantly in this condition. "I might not look the part right now, but I'm super smart. I can make anything from tools to machines... with some help. Like... Light inside glass to replace candles, food you can cook in 5 minutes just by pouring hot water on it, or... or..." Her voice trailed off somewhat quick, and by the time he noticed, she would already be asleep.

The cold wasn't the only thing getting to her. She hadn't rested in a bed for quite some time by now. A few weeks probably. She has been exhausted even before stealing the boat. Her head was also hot, and small droplets of sweat began to form on her face. But her breathing was stable. A soft sound, and clear too luckily. She was a quiet sleeper. All she would need now was some rest for a day or two... and maybe a towel.

• Like 1

@Lusterless Nova

On 04/04/2021 at 16:42, Lusterless Nova said:

"Hey Nicky? Can you keep me around for a day or two? I think either my head is about to explode, or I have a fever. And I don't think I can afford a doctor right now, nor an inn."

"No problem, Eria. You're free to stay here until you've completely recovered." Nick replied. "It'll be nice to have some company in this cabin."

"Yeah, I live alone here. This place used to belong to a couple, but they moved away a long time ago. Well, according to the villagers." He began to explain. "When I came here, the people were kind enough to just give this place to me for free. Well, so long as I keep the place tidy and help out the villagers with my magic powers. Oh, uh, welcome to Alm by the way. It's, uh, nothing special but the people here are nice and it's peaceful. Kinda boring but I guess that's a price to pay for a safe and harmonious life. Lotta people here also make their way to the big cities in the kingdom to sell their produce. Kinda the main income for the people here."

It had been almost a month since he arrived in Alm. Nick had been saving up money to go to one of these big cities and try to find an academy to hone his magical abilities. Become skilled enough to maybe go home, but Eria didn't need to know any of that right now.

On 04/04/2021 at 16:42, Lusterless Nova said:

"I might not look the part right now, but I'm super smart. I can make anything from tools to machines... with some help. Like... Light inside glass to replace candles, food you can cook in 5 minutes just by pouring hot water on it, or... or..."

"Oh?" Nick's curiosity was piqued. "How will you make those--"

Before he could finish, he saw that Eria was long asleep once more. Nick snickered, she was probably still very tired from... whatever happened that put her in that beach. Best leave her to rest for now and prepare some warm meals for when she would wake up. However, when he approached to check Eria's condition, he noticed that her face was flushed and small beads of sweat forming on her temples. Was she getting a flu? The thought made Nick worry, especially since he didn't know how to exactly take care of a person down with a sickness. Maybe he should stay instead and monitor her condition.

---

It would already be night when Eria would wake again. Clearly, since there was only moonlight passing through the window. The dim light was enough for her to see that Nick had apparently fallen asleep by the bed. He was sitting on a chair with his torso face down on the bed. Monitoring a person proved to be too weary for the redhead.