Silverline (Seraphina x Lusterless Nova)

The Silverline Orphanage had an odd idea with its name, but it indeed could get only better for those brought here. It had proper funding, and it prepared those who lived here for the world outside by making them work in libraries, at the bakery, in the shop, and any other place that had use for a pair of helping hands. Even the traveling merchants were free to ask for some cheap easy labor Most of what they earned went back to the orphanage, and they themselves got some pocket change. A fair rate considering they got a roof over their head and 3 meals a day. It was thanks to this place that children like Sion had a place for themselves.

The orphanage itself was also not difficult to find. It wasn't far from the town's center, had an iron gate, and a large metal sigh spelling out its name. The building itself was quite wide, almost like a school building, and 2 stories tall. The only obstacle to get there were the aforementioned gate, and the door of the actual building. It was in quite good condition considering how orphanages usually looked, and in response to some knocking, a middle aged lady around the age of 40 opened the door. "Greetings. Can I help you?" Her clothing was plain, but not of low quality. She wore a white blouse and over it a dark brown vest. Her pants and shoes were brown just like her eyes brown eyes and hair. A red bow tied it into a braid.

• Like 1

Spoiler

1002663892_SakuraI(YuukiHagure).jpg.7cc5

ID name: Sakura
Class: Samurai.

Coming from another far away town, a red head woman dressed in blue arrived for the first time in town. Mostly an adventurer of some sort, she had a small caravan which she used to rest, with a single horse to pull it around. She didn't have much baggage but a few needed items and resources and with her was always her trustworthy katana, always in its saya (scabbard) and not far from hand reach. Having heard about the orphanage and its services by coincidences during her travels, this young woman developed an idea that sounded appealing. At first, at least, she only planned to visit and see what it looked like with her own eyes. At the same time, she would try to hear possible gossips and requests for help if her help was required.

After asking people and being pointed toward the right place, she left her caravan outside the iron gate and made her way to the door. The sight was impressive to be sure. Not many times did she see such a large building for what it is used for in this case. A smile on her face, the woman finally knocked and took a single step back, out of respect for the person who would respond. The lady who would come to answer would see this woman with long red hair stand in front of her door, a blue kimono/hakama well covering her properly if not from a slightly opening between her chest in its closed state. The young woman bowed respectfully as sign of greeting then spoke: "Greetings. I have heard it may be possible here to find someone for um. You know..." She nervously scratched her head but tried to focus on what to say to not say something the wrong way. "I may be looking toward the idea of adopting.", she finally precised, hoping it wasn't wrong of her to simply come with such request at their door. For now, she only really required to see what such place was like then she would decide what she does.

Edited by Seraphina
  • Like 1

This one was charming~ The young lady chuckled at her nervousness and pushed the door fully open. "Please come in then." The inside may have been altered to make it liveable, but now the size of the building could be explained. This was a school before. The layout allowed 3 classrooms and a teacher's lounge on the 1st floor, and a set of stairs that split into 2 midway to lead further up. Sakura was taken to what was formerly the teacher's lounge, a room that now had a small kitchen, a bed in one corner, and an office desk with a chair and a bench at each side. "Make yourself comfortable. And would you like some tea?" Whenever she wanted some or not, the young woman made at least herself a pot.

A few moments later the two of them were seated with a pot with tea and 2 cups on the table between them. "I am the owner of the Silverline Orphanage, but please just call me Eliza. And you are?" She gave her a moment to respond, then continued. "It's a pleasure to meet you, and great to hear you consider adoption. If you answer me just a few questions, we can go meet the little ones. First and foremost: Do you have criminal charges against you? Do you have a consistent source of income? And while it might be a private matter: Why did you choose adoption?" She left Sakura time to answer in between each question, but regardless of the answer moved on. Not every criminal charge instantly disqualified someone. Loitering and minor theft were things everyone eventually did around this age, or being a stowaway on a ship. Eliza would be a lot more worried if it was serious theft or even murder.

• Like 1

The young woman followed the lady inside when welcomed to do so and while she was at it, she took a good look around. From the inside, she could now see why this place was so big. A building renovated somewhat to give what it is now, a safe haven for orphans to live in safety forming bonds between each others. Upon entering the former lounge, she didn't need to be told twice and so she went to sit down. "Tea seems nice, to be honest. I would like some, thank you.", she said before she took her katana away and put it aside for now. Always at hand reach but away where it would not hinder her while she has a peaceful discussion with someone, around some tea.

Holding her cup, she waited a bit for now for it to cool down and looked at the woman who introduced herself. Time for that had to come, of course. "The name is simply Sakura. I'm what you may call a freelancer samurai.", speaking with a soft smile. Sakura didn't really think of being questioned but at the same time, she was questioning herself to know if it was the right choice. It was normal considering the responsibilities involved. Finally sipping some tea, she listened to the question being asked and only spoke when it was her turn. "Criminal charges? I'd be worried if I did. No crimes on my name." She smirked about the question but it was still valid. "Consistent source of income, uh? I think it depends on the job I get. I work hard to not have to worry about it, though." Sakura seemed confident about her answer but the last one was where she had to stop and think. "I suppose there are many reasons. I'd like to say it is for company but also to have someone to help for little tasks. Someone to share a meal with at the end of the day...", she was lost in thoughts, probably not having exactly good answers but it was the main gist of it or about. Maybe she needed someone to protect, a meaning or something. With this, she simply sipped her tea again, observing the lady.

• Like 1

In all honesty, it wounded like someone was lonely. It made sense. She looked like a traveler, and those usually only made short friendships unless they were willing to stay somewhere permanently. "I have some papers for you here then." She reached into the cupboard and put a single sheet of paper, and a pen to write with. Unsurprisingly, it was an adoption form which would serve to prove that whoever she chose later (and had to sign as well) was part of her family. "Everyone should start coming back in a bit, so how about you take a look around and meet the children? There is no rush in deciding. When you are done, fill this out and let me know. I'll take care of the rest. Oh and help yourself to the kitchen if you are hungry." All in all, that was it. One COULD make it more complicated by making only parents eligible for adoption, but right now the orphanage was starting to get too full. And while this quick process wasn't perfect, it was better than hoarding children.

Eliza remained in the office, but the house was generally ready to be explored. The bottom floor's classrooms were repurposed. 1 was repurposed into a kitchen, while the one right next to it was a dining room now, and the third was a storeroom. The only room left here was the already explored office. Upstairs the space split into 2 hallways, each with 2 rooms mimicking the basic layout, and one room where the entrance hall of the first floor would have been. The 2 rooms to the left were bedrooms, one for each gender. One of the rooms to the right was labeled Play Room in colorful letters. As the name implied this was where everyone played, and toys were scattered around across the floor. The other room was labeled Calm Room, and more quiet hobbies were enjoyed here. It had a well filled bookshelf, an easel complete with tubes of colors near it, and a couple plants on the window.

The last room available was the biggest, and while being just near it, the sound of running water could be heard. Opening the door quickly gave attention to the floor and walls, who weren't wood anymore but stone. And with that flowery smell in the air, it was quite obvious what this one was used for. It was a shower. And someone was using it. Taking a peek inside, it had separate sections for each gender.

• Like 1

Sakura was herself not looking for something temporary. Be it as it may, her small caravan had more than enough space for a child to sleep even if it wasn't quite a room, it was possible to make it comfortable. And there probably was more to it, like allowing one of them to grow up along with her, as family. The presentation of the paper did well to surprise her and she took a last sip of tea before she reached for it. Looking around and meeting with the children was a good idea. Always a good first start to meet with a potential candidate for Sakura to take along. The invitation to the kitchen however made her blink in surprise. It was a nice service although being in an orphanage, she thought abusing her welcome wasn't a good idea. Still, if she was hungry, she'd go for a small thing to eat out of respect for the invitation.

Sakura then left to take a look around, politely giving the lady a last bow and taking her katana with her before she walked away. Slowly but surely, she explored the surrounding, seeing how they lived in this place. For what it was, it looked like a nice place. Still, she was curious and so she would end checking the second floor where rooms felt a little more comfortable. Bedrooms, always a nice place to sleep despite the fact the samurai girl probably didn't use a proper bed in a while, aside of possible stops at inns. The play rooms definitely was what it looked like and it brought Sakura a smile before she continued her visit. This orphanage even had a library of some sort or at least plenty of books to enjoy. It was good to hear the children had ways to read and even enjoy peace and calm from times to times. With the plants, it gave the place a pleasant atmosphere.

Upon the last room, Sakura took a careful peek inside and with the water running, she knew she wasn't alone there. The sound was at a distance but it was made clearer what it was when she came closer. A shower room, for both genders. That was perhaps the worst place to simply visit since she didn't want to invade anyone's privacy. It was better that she would wait outside for now, at least for when she could meet with other children but since this was the first sign of life she got, Sakura decided to take a pause from her exploration and sit down nearby with her legs crossed and leaning her back against the wall for now, her sword leaning against the wall too. She would be outside the bathroom of course so no chances to see anything she shouldn't but the person inside would hardly miss her if she left it, more so because of her appearance not alike the orphanage.

• Like 1

Over the next few minutes, the sound of small steps would echo off the walls. Children~ Some were coming back, and went straight for the kitchen. One of them was a small boy, a bit on the shy side... or exhausted, with green eyes and blonde hair. Another was a girl with red long hair and similarly colored eyes. From where Sakura was, it was safe to take a peek. And there seemed to be more on the way. But before she could see anyone else, a voice sounded from behind. "Uhm..." Another girl. Platin blonde hair, fair skin, and blood red eyes.

There was so much going through Sion's head in this moment. A visitor, pretty, red long hair, wearing kimono and katana, cherry blossom tattoo. "A samurai." She muttered in awe. It took her a short moment to realize she actually spoke to her, then blushed and bowed, lowering her head while raising the hem of her skirt with one hand at each of her side. "G-Good day to you madam!" She remained still, then raised her head just slightly to take a peek. She couldn't help it! This woman looked like a textbook far eastern foreigner! When noticing that their eyes met, she quickly lowered her head again.

Edited by Lusterless Nova
  • Like 1

Hearing the sounds of children arriving, Sakura lifted her head and took a look around but didn't move from where she was sitting. At the same time, she needed a short break but if she was ever seen by any of them, she wasn't one to mind answering some question. She only observed those who passed by if any, remaining still and quiet unless spoken to. In her head, she tried to imagine who would be best to talk to first or how to even begin a conversation with them. While she questioned herself, a voice came to distract her.

The first child actually interacting with her before she does spoke a... sound to her. Sakura knew there was no easy way to begin a conversation with a stranger sometimes so with a smile, she turned to who spoke. A cute one stood there, soon mentioning her title/class. "That's right.", she simply said at first, giving her best smile but watching her soon look embarrassed and bowing to her, also with quite a respectful greeting, the samurai girl blinked. It's not all that she was surprised by the politeness but the sudden presentation and first impression felt warm. "O-oh, you don't have to be this formal, not with me. Why don't you come sit with me? Perhaps you would like to know why I am here? Only if you like... What is your name?", she asked, hopefully doing this well for a start of conversation. She wouldn't want to scare her away, not when she looks this curious or amazed about her. And maybe, just maybe...

• Like 1

She didn't need to be that formal? Well... If she didn't mind. Sion straightened herself back up, then linked her hands in front of her. "Gladly." Sion went to her side and lowered herself carefully until she sat on her legs. Her skirt formed a bit of a circle around her as she was done. "Sion." Even while she was more relaxed, her voice was calm and quiet. Still loud enough to hear it during a conversation. "That too, but there are many other things I would like to ask you too. May I? So far I could only read about the far east." There was the very rare case of a far eastern merchant doing business in the markets, but Sion didn't find it easy to approach someone who was obviously busy. "Like: Is it true that a katana's steel is folded rather than simply poured into a mold? Are there any rice dishes you would recommend? On that subject, is raw fish really such a delicacy?" She tried it herself, but the experience was... underwhelming. Regardless, with each question she scooted a bit closer as her eyes sparkled just a little bit more after she finished one. "Is this a yukata or a kimono? Is it true that a samurai can slash something, but let the effect be delayed? C-Can you do that?"

Edited by Lusterless Nova
  • Like 1

Once Sion was sitting near her, under observing eyes, Sakura simply adopted a relaxed posture. She wasn't there on formal business and she didn't want to give that impression either. Her katana always insight against the wall on the other side of its owner, opposite to where Sion is. "It is nice to meet you. You can call me Sakura, no need for miss or anything. Specifically not madam..." She smirked a little in embarrassment while stroking her own hair. But then Sion asked if she could ask her question and that seemed perfect to break the ice. "Sure, go ahead.", she gave a warmer smile this time and sat back, waiting for what question this girl would have for her. The first one was pretty easy. "Oh yes, it is quite true but I'm not the one to ask for the exact technique. Swordsmiths have their secret ways.", she answered with a friendly wink. Then came rice and fish questions that Sakura had to think about. "Well, let's see... If you never tasted any of it, I think you would like Onigiri for your first time then perhaps some takikomi gohan treat. Ah but if we talk about raw fish then I suppose you mean sashimi. You would have to taste some to see by yourself.", she explained, not knowing that Sion may have or not tasted this dish exactly. The conversation seemed to go well so far, thankfully. Seeing Sion ever so curious made it better, enough for her to forget about everything else for a moment. As she thought the girl may be done, more questions came to her but Sakura was actually glad to answer them. "This is a good guess, I am impressed. To make it simple, simply call it a kimono. Hmm... Well, you know... My master taught me a lot but there are still many techniques that I am not ready to learn and use yet. I think you would be impressed to see what master can do but perhaps it wouldn't be very safe to show you.", Sakura said the last sentence with a smiling whisper. There was a lot more to be curious about, this much she was sure but perhaps would it be better kept for another time. Her eyes looked at Sion and maybe it was time to let her speak her own story. "What about you? Why don't you tell me more about yourself? Do you have any friends, here? And how do you like living here, if I may ask of course?", she gave an embarrassed smile once more but then she realized. Of course she wouldn't interrupt Sion if she answered her questions but afterward, she'd slide in her intentions. "I forgot to say but you see... I'm here in hope to find a special someone. Well...", she hesitated again. Sakura didn't know how she was supposed to explain this to her but maybe Sion would figure it out or not.

Edited by Seraphina
  • Like 1

Sion either knew some magic to let her eyes become bigger and sparkly the more Sakura spoke, or she scooted just a little closer with every word. Whatever the case, she had the little girl's full attention by the looks of it. She even took small noted in her mind, especially about her food recommendations. When Sakura asked about who Sion was however, she calmed down and sat down on her behind again. Not because she disliked talking about herself, but she felt quite boring in comparison to a samurai. "Well... I like to read since I can't travel, and I know a lot of stuff thanks to that. Like, a lot of recipes, how to knit, even chemistry... in theory at least." At least the first of those came in handy quite often, though she was still a bit afraid of using a frying pan. "Yes. Oliver and Flik as example. They tend to be grumpy when they come back from their jobs, but after something to eat they are fun~" And she was absolutely understanding in that regard. Who wouldn't be in a mildly bad mood after a couple of hours of being told what to work on by an adult? "I heard stories of other orphanages, so yes. By comparison, I like living here." If she had to guess, this place was doing so well because of lady Eliza and how she let everyone earn their place. This did mean that they all had only pocket change for their own things, but in return everyone got a comfy place to call home, and there was even meat to eat on occasion. It could all be much worse.

Sion smiled at how Sakura tried to word herself. And while she was a child, she did know what kind of people came here. And Sakura did not look like one of the merchants or the tax collector. "You're here either for adoption, or to look for some help in your store, right?" After all, what else would people come here for? "Would you like to meet everyone else then?" Some of them were already back, more would come, but the biggest portion of everyone was coming back by now.

• Like 1

Sakura finally got to hear about the girl and while it might not feel as special, she liked to hear it anyway. She wasn't really the kind to judge commoners, others classes or especially children. Reading was good for education so that told some about her to the samurai. Being unable to travel though was something she understood since she wanted to do that herself at her age and it sounded like maybe Sion would like that. Not only that, the girl seemed to be able to handle herself with some skills. Next, Sakura listened about her friends and the way she lived there and it seemed like what she expected of an orphanage plus Sion made it sound like she was in one of the better ones, which was good to hear. For herself, she didn't have any reason so far to believe it was a bad place to be but the fact they were required to begin with had something sad to it. At least the children could still develop socially and be educated so it was not all so bad. Seeing children like Sion being this interested in her stories or what she did was always a warm experience except right now, Sakura was there not just for a visit.

With the way Sion had somehow guessed what she was there for left her pondering. Of course she wasn't the first person to come for that purpose and surely it wasn't easy to see someone be taken away even if, in the end, there was a chance they were taken to a better life. Maybe they didn't get other kinds of visit, which was unfortunate considering how attentive these children were with guests. Sakura could only nod to her first question but to the second one, she didn't move much except for looking over Sion to other children who may be in sight before she looked back to Sion herself, observing her. If there was one thing that was important with adoption, it was that she couldn't choose one like she'd choose a pet. It required some synergy and some mutual wish to form a bond, among other unpredictable variables. "You know...", Sakura started a moment later. "It may not be necessary. What do you think...?", she finished saying with a soft smile. She wasn't sure what she was doing but she had a certain good feeling. It would be okay if Sion refused, she wasn't expecting it to be easy.

Edited by Seraphina