Adventures of the odd pair - (JennyDK & Deeperanddeeperstill)

A faint, relieved breath fled Florence's lips as he saw how confident Beatrix appeared in her abilities. If she weren't this bold, he would likely have cracked from the pressure regarding the size of this avian beast they would have to contend with. "Alright... now, as for where its tracks lead..." He scuffed his hoof gently against the ground, tracing the fainter talon marks as best he could. "...judging from these... it headed for the hills to the south!" Florence would nod enthusiastically as he looked to Beatrix. "I'm sure we'll find it if we happen upon a nest of some kind. Let's go!" With a breath, he would start walking along the trail he was scouting, making sure that Beatrix could follow.

"Seeing how big a hole it made, I think it would be hard NOT to see it or its nest, haha", she says, trying to at least joke a bit, but it is clear that it's not her strong suit. It is very likely that Florence is the one far better for social interactions. For now, she simply follows his directions. Despite the roughness of the terrain she still moves fairly well and easy through it."How do you suggest we best deal with it? Can you somehow keep it from moving? Then I can smash its skull in fairly easily", she suggests.

"Keep it from moving..." Florence let out a hum as he wandered, holding his hand up as he would twist his wrist gently to let an assortment of magics coalesce around it, one at a time. Wind, flame, electricity, and the arcane. "...hrm, I'm afraid I don't have any spells that could restrict someone on hand... perhaps you could box it in?" He would stop as he'd let her walk ahead, starting his pace up so he could direct her attention to the ground they walked upon. "Look. The talon markings are faint, but they're consistent. We're dealing with a flightless bird. It might be big, but it seems to be making its nest in an even bigger wood. If you could... I don't know, maybe fell some trees to contain it, we could keep it surrounded."

OOC: Sorry that I have not replied for a long time....it got lost in the ocean of notifications. Hopefully, you even got the reference I put in my post here 😛

She listens on as her minotaur companion explains his lack of ability to restrain this large creature and then more or less putting that idea to depend on her instead. She has no idea how she would manage anything like that in an open forest like this."Damn it Florence. I am a paladin, not a lumberjack! I guess we will just have to improvise once we get there and can judge the situation better. However...let us try to stay quiet once we get close enough, so we don't alarm it!", she responds back in a low volume to hopefully not give them away just yet.

(OOC: I understood that reference.~ And no worries!)

Florence would let out a slight breath, nodding his head as he would continue walking quietly with Beatrix so as to not alert their quarry. As he would keep shifting his hooves against the tracks so he knew they were on the right track, he'd look ahead a touch more. "...we're getting close. It must be preparing up a nest of some sort..." As he would hold a hand out to signal to Beatrix not to wander too much further ahead, he would peer through some bushes... and as he did so, he would tense as he would pull back a bit. "...that's... definitely our prey. But I don't know if improvisation is going to be of much help here..." He would shift the bushes lightly aside, not too much, but enough for Beatrix to see what they were dealing with...

large.Cockadoodlewhoazers.jpeg.be60ead98cbdfcc0e24a71dc682aa23f.jpeg

...a cockatrice. Letting out guttural squawks as it plucked up bits of branches to settle into a nest, where she would also be able to see the livestock that had been claimed... a whole pack of chickens, hens and roosters. All remarkably still alive, even!

• Like 1

It is a wonder why the large beast have not heard her clanking armour so far, but it is to their benefit at least. Not that Beatrix minds stealth very much to begin with, but when it comes to big creatures like this one, it may have saved their lives to not be bumrushed by the cockatrice. She looks around to see if there are any clever ways to go about this, but once it appears not to be possible, she simply looks at Florence."Allright. I think I should try and rush towards it and try to take all of the aggressiveness. I have a boon of my deity which can be used in several ways, including shielding me briefly. You can try and do some juju from afar", the paladin suggests.

Glancing back at Beatrix, Florence would nod his head a touch as he would listen to her strategy, before looking back towards the cockatrice, still blissfully unaware of their approach. He'd survey the scene lightly, breathing out a touch as he tried to find another way that might keep them from being taken by surprise. "...just be careful, then. I've read that those birds can petrify you in some fashion... maybe venom in their talons or something. So don't let your shield drop for too long; I don't want you becoming a statue on our first romp." Florence would start swaying his hand around his wand gently, focused on the beast as its back was turned to them.

Beatrix simply smirks her usual wide grin as he speaks of her potentially being made into stone. While the concern is appreciated, she does find it unnecessary given her experience and nimbleness."Do not worry Florence. I may be a goblin, but I never go into fights that I fear I may lose or have to flee from. We just need to be quick on our feet and fast to react! In any case, I will make sure you are safe!", she says with pride in her voice. She picks up her hammer with both hands now, wanting to be faster and more agile than she would if she wielded it with just one of them."Allright...on 3 then? Care to make a countdown?", the paladin finally asks him.

Florence did let out another breath, smiling back at Beatrix with a tiny nod. He seemed like he appreciated the goblin's bravery and confidence, and he couldn't help but feel somewhat invigorated by her energy. As he looked ahead, he would nod as he kept watch on the cockatrice, giving her a nod. "Alright, miss Beatrix... on my mark. One..." As he spoke, he would slowly begin to weave both hands as he took a step behind Beatrix, magic energy weaving into his palms. "Two..." A sphere of wind and a wisp of flame were beginning to form up in each of his palms, growing stronger the more he concentrated his magical energy into them. "Aaaaaaand..." Around when Beatrix might call him out for stalling, would he then push his hands against Beatrix; the wind sphere coating her in a gale that would bring her even greater speed, whilst the flame would be planted right at the back of her hammer, which would empower her swings with it as if it were fueled by the breath of a dragon or in modern terms, like a jet engine"...THREE!!!"

Beatrix might be stubborn, hotheaded and impatient mostly, but when she does have a partner, she shows them trust and cooperativeness. It seems to pay off for now as Florence has been a fine help so far and soon enough she smirks even more wickedly as she feels more speedy and with her hammer enveloped in magical fire. She sees and seizes the moment to dash and strike, hopefully at least making the fight easier with a well placed and heavy first strike towards the large magical bird beast. She hefts her hammer, making herself fully ready and then rapidly sprints towards the large animal, intent to deal as much damage to it as possible in one go. She stops herself from roaring as she wants to try and keep the element of surprise. Once she makes it all the way over there, her hammer swings with its full might and power towards either a knee of the cockatrice or even its head, whatever is more possible

The cockatrice had started its day off with a generally positive attitude towards itself. It had spent the last few days doing as cockatrices do best; nurture and care for their young. However, cockatrice mates are exceptionally hard to come by, so the only reliable means of caring for future cockatrices would be to groom other avians. Hens and roosters, in this case. This was why it had been on a spree hunting for poultry during its assaults on the local farms, as the birds in the makeshift nest it had procured were its key to creating more cockatrice life. And to its credit, it appeared like a rather nurturing soul, gently making sure its captives-- er, progeny were well-fed and cared for. And of course, making sure the nest was as snug and comfortable as can be. Maybe some of the branches to the immediate south would serve as a good foundation! So it turned itself around with a cheerful squawk--

SMASH!!! Beatrix's furious swing would end up connecting right against the beast's head as it just so happened to turn to the path of the goblin's charge, visibly cracking its imposing beak as the force of the swing practically catapulted it off its feet. It would spiral away with a screech of pain as it smashed through a few trees, collapsing on top of it as just a lone talon could be seen poking out from the undergrowth, twitching in agony.

"...oh wow, that was immense." would Florence breathe out in awe, clapping his hands together in sheer amazement. "Amazing, miss Beatrix! I didn't think you were going to lay it down in just one blow!" With an enthusiastic breath, he'd break ahead and make his way towards the nest, seeing the startled poultry just shaking in their tracks. "And we even saved the livestock, too! Boy, this went by very smoothly."

• Woohoo 1

Whilst some people may have had seconds thoughts about hurting the cockatrice or thinking it to being treated unfairly or even cruelly, Beatrix caring not for such notions. There is a job to be done and this creature is causing a serious hazard to anyone else around it, so there is just one option in her mind: To put it down for good and gets things more back to normal. So with that in mind, the paladin uses her entire strength and spends all of the energy of the spell and her deity's boon to fuel into one singular and devastating strike. This results in the massive beast basically being flung about like a ragdoll and getting knocked to the ground hard, further adding to any injures the hammer already has done to it.

While it seems out of commission, Beatrix still wants to be fully sure of its demise."Thank you Florence! It was all thanks to some good cooperative play here. That is hopefully one less critter to cause havoc....still, let me inspect it to see if it still breathes! Do you wish for a trophy of any sort?", she replies back whilst heaving her hammer, getting to ready to hit it again if she failed to take it out in one go.

"Oh, uh, no thank you." would Florence breathe out as he would give Beatrix a small wave. "I do appreciate the thought, at least." With that, he would gather the chickens, hens and roosters in his arms, holding them up with a gentle smile. "There there, no need to be scared... we're going to get you back home, alright?"

As he spoke, however, rustling came from where the cockatrice had been launched. It would twitch and snarl as Florence held the poultry, before it would suddenly burst from the foilage, hissing and seething from the sheer brute force Beatrix had struck it with. And its furious glower was locked directly onto Florence, as he held onto the livestock in this manner. It would shift its gaze between the more obvious threat that was the goblin with the hammer, but its wrath was directed at the bull holding onto its intended progeny. And it would roar out in preparation for a fight.

"...oh dear." Florence gulped mainly as he was the one the cockatrice appeared the most furious at, taking a light step back. "...we might have to start running, miss Beatrix."

OOC: I apologize in advance for basically taking control of both of us lightly. I just had a really funny idea I wanted to do! 😄

While she can still see the beast lying on the ground before her, it is still not fully visible and thus it comes as a bit of a surprise for Beatrix as it rises faster than she thought such a thing could get up. She hears Florence's words as well, causing her to grip onto her hammer mighty tight and nod."Seems like this fucker aint staying down like it should. We got what we needed for now - let us get out of this dumb forest. I am tired of it!", she says, trying to sound more like the place is the issue when it is more likely the angry glorified beastly chicken.

Soon enough, the three of them would very likely be spurting around in the forest, looking almost more comical than dangerous really. Their bodies will sprint about between trees, bushes and rocks, the duo wanting to outrun and escape cockatrice.

For each absurd combination of treeways and foilage that the pair dove into and past, the cockatrice seemed to always be either one step ahead or three steps behind, ever-changing even though the forest really wasn't all that complicated to maneuver throughout. At one point, as Florence poked his head out from one bush, looking to the west, the cockatrice poked out of the same bush gazing east. And when both of them sighed in relief that their quarry was gone, they turned to face each other with a nod of approval... just before the chase was on as they both realized who was hunting who.

"Oh no! We're coming up on the farms!" Florence yelped after a bit as the cockatrice was still hot on their heels, shifting his eyes towards Beatrix as he held the panicking poultry tight. "I don't think we'll get paid if that big bird breaks another barn! You'll have to fell it swiftly, miss Beatrix! I'd help, but... b-but...!" A flustered look came over him as he hugged the chickens and roosters more tightly as they ran. "...I can't drop the little ones to cast any spells! If I do, they're going to scatter all across the continent, and then we're definitely not getting paid!" Truly, Florence had embraced the most important part of being an adventurer; the paycheck at the end of one.

• Haha 1

Just like Florence, Beatrix is also on her own bad streak of unsuccessful attempts to hide or flee around in the forest. If she manages to get into a thick bush to conceal herself, once she sticks her head up, she will be face to face with the angry cockatrice. Surprisingly, both of them look comically shocked and surprised and give off funny noises of "eep!" and "sqwuak!" as they notice each others presences. Other than that, they also stumbled around between trees and sometimes the paladin goblin even ended up behind the large chicken beast, causing even more confusion to her. The moment the cockatrice realizes this as well, they turn 180 degrees and continue their cat and mouse chase.

Then they are getting near the farms that is definitely not the place to attract this thing to and Florence makes Beatrix known of this. The minotaur makes it clear that he think it's up to the goblin to take care of the giant enemy chicken, probably wanting Beatrix to hit its weak point for massive damage. The sounds of both not getting paid and having to face humiliation causes the armoured woman to grow more annoyed and determined than wanting to flee. She gives him an acknowledging stare, before then stopping and turning around, gripping her gigantic hammer and lifting up and high, wanting to smash the invasive poultry of annoyance."Die.....you barf breathing walking featherduster! Taste divine intervention!", she speaks whilst glaring down the beast fearlessly, then waiting  for the moment to strike...

Florence, seeing Beatrix stop and turn around to prepare for this last stand, would grit his teeth as he skidded to a halt, turning around with a breath of awe as he would watch the goblin brace for this clash that would finish off the goose chase they had been through with this cockatrice. Gripping the poultry, who all appeared rather intensely shook by this sight, they would each brace and wait to see just how the encounter would end. Florence, for his part, was hoping beyond hope that his new partner could break through the seemingly insurmountable force that was this bird.

The cockatrice, for its part, was stampeding forward with a vivid, raging squawk that echoed and resonated along the valley, seeing this obstacle that cracked its beak not only challenging it, but standing between it and its progeny, held by that vile bovine. It demanded retribution, in its own animalistic fashion. With a shrill and intense screech, the avian monster would stampede forward, drool dripping from its maw due to its uncontrollable rage impeding its other brain functions, its intent being to pin the goblin down and rip through her innards with its beak. It all came down to this clash, as time itself seemed to nearly slow down the closer the two got to their clash. Who would prevail? Who'd strike the killing blow? Who'd take the chickens home for their sweet reward?!

The two of them exchange angry glares and sneering sounds as the large beast storms its way towards the stout and firmly planted paladin in her heavy armour. She can tell it is many times bigger than her and it might have the upper hand in a direct confrontation. Luckily, due to its immense bulking body, it is not overly agile unlike herself. Florence may even be able to see a scheming smirk on Beatrix' face as the cockatrice gets close enough for her to have to act unless she wants to be trampled down. The moment of truth comes and as she is about to skewered, Beatrix quickly sidestep and instead swings for the easy part: the large legs of the huge magical animal, aiming to break it hard and well, allowing it to not really move a lot anymore.

The howling cockatrice would be barreling forward, eyes narrowed as a gleam of sheer fury lingered in its vicious stare, locked onto the goblin who was standing firm, waiting, preparing for the moment to strike. And indeed, as she planned, the moment the cockatrice roared at her and swung its beak down to try and pin her against the ground, her swerve and subsequent smash against the beast's leg would cause it to howl in pain, buckling over and toppling to the ground. Helplessly and pathetically kicking at the ground, its equilibrium thrown off too much from the pain and shock for it to be able to push itself back to its still functioning leg, its furious cries grew into more shrill and pleading caws, as if realizing just how much it had overstepped its bounds.

Seeing the way the cockatrice was struggling, Florence gulped. As he still clung to the poultry, his eyes would shift over to Beatrix. The onus was on her; he was still preoccupied holding the birds securely, and the fiend was incapacitated. Clearly the divine providence guiding Beatrix's swings were the genuine article. But with the cockatrice unable to act... what was her next move going to be? Florence did seem a touch tense, given the more helpless squawks escaping the cockatrice's cracked beak now.

Beatrix smirks widely in victorious glee and smugness once the large beast succumbs to the injuries she sustained onto its one leg, basically, making it unable to get up, but not yet immobile."Finally! I was tired of a being chased around by a damn overgrown chicken. I shall make sure that it will not be a bother again from now on. You asked for this miss cockatrice....you should be glad there is no heaven or hell for mere creatures like yourself", she snorts at it, sounding and looking very much like she is not about to let it be just yet. This soon becomes very evident as she grabs her warhammer once more and uses all of her might and strength to swing the large instrument of melee destruction upon the cranium of the beast, seeking to taking its very life fully.

The bird let out a few more desperate squawks, kicking at the air in growing panic and fear. Even for a beast, it was still intelligent enough to know what the goblin had in mind, especially as she so effortlessly hoisted up that gargantuan hammer. But with no way to defend itself, all it could do was screech before the hammer smashed down upon its skull, silencing its cries before its leg fell limp, a heavy air lingering over the air as the beast was struck down.

Florence just gulped at the sight, having even instinctively closed his eyes as the hammer came down. He would have preferred to see her leave the beast be, it had been rendered harmless thanks to her brute force... but such was the adventuring life, he supposed. At least it was a quick kill, if nothing else. "...well, uh... here's hoping cockatrices don't have vengeful gods of their own coming down upon us." would the minotaur breathe out, clearing his throat lightly as he averted his eyes from the mess left beneath Beatrix's hammer. "I'll go and, uh... get our pay." would he breathe out, stepping towards the farmhouses with the pile of poultry in tow.

Beatrix snickers at what she perceives to be a joking comment from her adventuring partner, talking about weird deities."Indeed. I will make sure to look out next time I eat chicken for dinner, hahaha!", she says as she cleans her hammer of the worst parts of cockatrice matter left all over the end of it. She gives a final look at the dead beast."At least the farmland here should now be more safe and secure. One moment, Florence", she calls out before quickly peeling off a "trophy" from the bird to help them prove they have felled the large animal. With an eye of the cockatrice pulled after her the paladin follows the minotaur mage to the one who will be paying them."It's important to show proof of your work when you can. Otherwise, anyone could claim to have done it". she explains in case that was necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

"Right, right, that makes sense..." With a slight breath as he'd nod, shaking the sight of the crushed cockatrice head from his mind, Florence would continue to walk along with Beatrix, though he did avert his gaze from the eye she had plucked out, amazed that any part of the monster's head had escaped unscathed from that finishing blow. "...if nothing else, at least they should be happy that their livestock's come back alive. Could you imagine if the egg trade was to be shut down? No omelettes served up at the local inns anymore... that's the real nightmare right there, miss Beatrix."

• Haha 1

The goblin paladin lightly snickers at that remark, as she for a moment contemplates the ensuing egg-ocalypse and dread from lack of such animal products. She takes the lead on following them back towards the employer and out of this forest."Well, let us not hope chickens become egg-xtinct then", she says, trying to follow up on those lines of his and being pretty pleased with her own pun as she smirks lightly and treading forward, almost in triump whilst slowly swinging the cockatrice eye about eye her at the same time.

"...egg-stinct...?" would Florence utter, before letting out a quiet little chortle. That got to him, he had to readily admit. As he walked with Beatrix, towards the farmhouses with the poultry in his grasp, he'd shake his head lightly and let out a tiny little chuckle. "...well, when we get back to the inn, would you mind if I treat you to a victory meal, miss Beatrix? I promise you, it'll be... egg-cellent." He'd snicker a bit more as the farmers would be seen coming out of their homes, seeing the minotaur and goblin emerge victorious from the woods, coming back with their prized chickens and roosters.