Adventures of the odd pair - (JennyDK & Deeperanddeeperstill)

Roleplay between: @JennyDK and @Deepanddeeperstill.

Overall premise:
Two unusual people get paired up by the adventurers guild as both of them have been asking for a partner to do jobs with. The roleplay will mainly focus on the fun and action packed adventures, coupled with slice of life and humorous shenanigans of the odd pairing of a sassy goblin paladin and a minotaur spellcaster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is around noon and the main room of the guild building is fairly quiet and with most members away for now. One of the newer members, Beatrix Shattershield, is one of the few of her kind who has earned the position of a paladin. She aims to both smite all of the evildoers and their minions, as well as making some decent coin. As most goblins, shiny objects are one of her personal weaknesses, though not to the point where she switches side just for mere coin. Wherever possible, she will acquire such gain whilst keeping her oaths and codex intact and unspoiled.

Most goblins favour light to no armour and small weapons, mostly to be agile, fast and dexterious. Beatrix, on other hand, very much prefers being heavily clad and even more heavily armed.

She approaches the taller desk, so she has clear her throat to be seen by the human standing there, who has yet to notice her."Excuse me! Down here! Yes...you! I am reporting here as requested. Beatrix Shattershield! I was told I would be partnered up by now", she tells him, already seeming like things to go swift and smoothly. Hopefully, he will make no comments about her height, which is still below goblin average.

Powers (let us say we both pick up to 4):

• Smite evil
  • Pure faith
  • Blessing
  • Purify

XIefLVec_o.jpg

Around this time as well, another fairly new guild member would be looking out at the sundial perched in the yard outside, noting that its shadow was indeed pointing to about noon. Florence Nachtschimmer was one of the few among his race that didn't embrace the most common paths for young minotaur to venture forth on; that being either brutal warriors of renowned bloodlust, or druidic healers attuned to the roots of nature itself. He was a student of the arcane, a sorcerer, a feat not many assumed their kind would have the capacity or patience to learn.

As such, while one would expect a minotaur to be physically hardy, Florence's light choice of garb as well as his neglect of physical training left him surprisingly frail for one of his kind, though his spells and oaken wand he carved himself would seem to keep that in check.

While not approaching the desk like the smaller goblin paladin did so brazenly, he would raise his hand up, noting how few others happened to be about, as he would clear his throat gently as to catch the man's attention. "Um... I was also told I would be assigned a partner around this time. Florence Nachtschimmer? I, uh... I hope my name is on the list...Given his size, it certainly would be hard to miss him in a crowd, even if he was considerably more lanky than the average minotaur berserker.

Powers:

• Flame Stream
  • Magic Missile
  • Thunderbolt
  • Gale of Haste

large.ameilee-sullivan-minotaur2.jpg.c2ee230708372100e83b54b4c8bbd319.jpg

Edited by Deepanddeeperstill
  • Like 1

OOC: Which of us should handle playing the "encounters"? Perhaps we should take turns?

The clerk behind the counter is taken by surprise by the rather brash and slightly sassy toned voice from Beatrix, but just as he is about to answer her, his focus is stolen again. A contrasting image and sound reaches his senses as much smaller and seemingly more timid minotaur calls out to him. For a very brief moment, he is unsure if he is the victim of some comedic duo prank."Uhmmm..h...hello there...well...l..let me check real check. One moment...you two", he says, clearly confused already. Thankfully, he regains his composure as he checks the member records, finding both names. Soon enough, he looks up again and sighs inwardly in relief."Ohh...here it is. Well...what a coincidence! You two are paired up with each other", he comments, not really ready for Beatrix' response at all.

The tiny goblin warrior's face grows quite serious as she hears this information from the clerk. She gives the more frail looking minotaur a quick look, wondering where his own armour and weapons are at."What is this? Are you certain this is really the truth? Don't make me come up there, boy", she grunts out, despite being tiny compared to his normal human form.

(Sounds like a reasonable way of handling them as we move forward.)

Florence's eyes widened a touch as he heard the comment come forth. Really? His partner happened to be the... rather forceful goblin? He would tense lightly as he saw that quick, sharp look she directed his way, rubbing his arm insecurely for a moment. "Hey, uh... I guess we're partners, now?" would he utter, trying to not come off as confrontational compared to her. He would look briefly back at the clerk, eyes gleaming with a look that screamed 'oh please tell me there's someone else'. Not because he doubted the capability of the plate-clad goblin, far from it, but... well, she seemed rather intense, he wasn't sure if his nerves could deal.

Yes, the minotaur who stood a good couple of feet taller than the goblin (did her head even reach up to his knees?) was actively more intimidated by her than one would expect, looking in on the duo from the outside. A strange world, it was, and it just got stranger. Seeing that the clerk didn't appear to have anything else on offer, Florence would clear his throat as he looked back down upon Beatrix. "...guess we'll just... make the best out of it then, right...?" he'd breathe out, gauging just how she would respond to him next.

Beatrix' expression does soften up a bit at least once the initial shock is over with and she has to deal with this now being her partner it seems. She sighs a bit and gives him a more relaxed look."I guess you did pass the entrance demands and membership test, so you can't be useless. I am Beatrix Shattershield of the mighty clan of the same name. Who are you again? What sort of talents do you have? I am guessing you are more of the juju type or something like that?", she asks, trying to get along with him so far.

Florence would let out a faint breath as tensions appeared to defuse, finding his seat again as he would regard the goblin a tiny nod, trying his best to not look utterly lost at sea comparatively. "Well, juju is one way of putting it, I suppose... er, oh, yes! My name. I am Florence Nachtschimmer. Not of any particular clan, of course... ah, my talents are... magically inclined." He would pluck his wand out from within his robes, weaving his hand before it to demonstrate as Beatrix would be able to see visible swirls of wind flickering out from the wand as Florence focused his arcane training on this display. "I hope they'll come in handy for our ventures together, Miss Shattershield..."

She gives him a rather analyzing and only slightly skeptical look as he explains his sort of abilities."Hmmmmm...I see. So you can just make wind basically? Is that it or is there more?", she asks further, not overly impressed by some gust of wind swirling in the air. The enemies ahead will be dangerous, ruthless and very likely often in greater numbers, so she very much needs to know what there is to work with, especially if she is supposed to be at the front line of whatever encounters they will find themselves at and simply throwing air into peoples face will not do her much good.

"Oh, ah... no, I can do more than just this." would Florence briefly comment, Beatrix's comment making him appear a bit more on edge than before. Clearly he hadn't been used to his talents being scrutinized this directly before. "Although I would prefer not to use my other spells right inside of here; this spell is the safest one I can use without breaking something... I can conjure flame, thunder and arcane energies as well. This just happens to be..." Figuring she needed a demonstration, he would gently push the wind from his staff right onto Beatrix herself, letting her feel the breeze coursing around her armored self, which curiously made it seem lighter and herself a lot more agile. "...a support spell."

The paladin goblin relaxes more now after hearing and feeling that. While useful to have, the armour on her body is something she has spent countless hours getting accustomed to and those who see her fight in it, will know it does not hinder her even a little bit, like it was made specifically for her to use. Her face seems to soften as she feels more sure that Florence will be an asset rather than in the way. She is aware of the guild approving him, but doesn't mean she has to. Right now, she will let it depend on his performance. Perhaps an easy test job might prove useful."Allright. That seems adequate. Just try to keep yourself near me so I can protect you while you do your juju", she says. Her own talents are not really appropriate to display in here, save a couple of them. Unless asked, she doesn't feel a need to demonstrate either as well."Now. Shall we find a job for us to do? Maybe something simple first?", she suggests.

His relief felt palpable as he listened to the goblin now sounding more at ease around him. He didn't want to disappoint his partner, now that he was at this crossroads, about to step into a world of adventure, so far removed from the books he had toiled night after day over. Florence would nod and smile softly, before pointing his wand over to the notice board. "I did actually see one job in particular that seems doable." would he breathe out, approaching it as he made sure Beatrix would be keeping an eye on where his attention was directed to. "Right here... a notice was put out regarding some creature that's been terrorizing farmers for a while. Making off with their livestock in the dead of night... seems perfect to get ourselves acquainted!" That, and a mission near a farm seemed quite optimal to Florence; the thought of patting a sheep's fur for comfort in case things got too tense was already helping his mind be at ease.

• Like 1

The ironclad goblin follows his motions and words, taking them in and nodding softly as he presents the future job for them to take care of. It doesn't seem too far away either, which is a plus as well. Going to the outskirts of town seems pretty easy and requires no bigger preparation or supplies. If Florence is indeed a fine asset, it will prove easy to see here - in general, just pretty perfect for the multiple purposes of the task ahead of them. While she does indeed intend on making herself very useful and prove her capabilities, she wants to mostly use this as her unofficial test for the minotaur."I think that sounds like a good place to start. I don't really need anything right now...so we can go whenever you feel ready mr. Florence".

"Sounds like a plan, Miss Beatrix." Florence was honestly just happy to see that his partner appeared pleased both with the task they had picked out to start with, as well as not being reprimanded for sloth or cowardice or any other diss he could recall from his time before joining a magical study. It was truly liberating, in a sense. With a nod, Florence would adjust his robes and make sure his wand was on hand, starting out the door with the mission slip in hand. "It shouldn't be any longer than an hour's walk if we take our time, so... gives us a chance to enjoy the weather on the way as well. That'll be nice, don't you think?"

Florence is starting to give Beatrix the impression of the overly chatty type. She doesn't mind conversation as such, but she is not very chatty at all and mostly choose to speak when she deems that she has something interesting to say."I suppose that is true. The weather doesn't really impact my mood very much. Did it say what sort of resistance we are to expect there? There is a big difference between something like ratfolk and giants. It is always best to be prepared for what is ahead", the paladin simply replies back. Of course, she will need to make a prayer for her deity if the foes will be particularly fierce or plentiful.

Florence would rub his head the faintest bit as he would walk along after Beatrix, eyes looking ahead at the path. "That's the thing though... the notice was really vague about what to expect." he mused, rubbing his hands together lightly as his hooves stomped along the path that would take them to the farmlands. "All they know is that something's making its way off with the livestock. Could be a dire wolf, could be a big troll... no one's been quick enough to see it make its moves. So we're just going to have to be prepared for anything..."

The clinking of armour from Beatrix surely helps eliminate any chances of a stealthy approach to things, no matter how well and easily she wears it. The paladin is certainly not a huge fan of vague requests, especially as it could be traps potentially. She decides to keep an extra vigilant eye out for any sort of trouble brewing."Allright, but these sort of situations can end up being way more dangerous than one may think. Though, I think it is fairly safe to conclude that it may be some more mindless thing....or a rival farmer, haha!", she says, trying to be funny. Once close enough, she turns to Florence."Just in case, I wish to pray for holy assistance. Let me know if I shall include you in that".

"Holy assistance?" Florence perked lightly as he noticed Beatrix's gaze shifting over to glance back at him, rubbing his hands the faintest bit together. "Well, I... I suppose that would be nice, in case there is some kind of unholy thing making off with the livestock... like some odd cultist..." He shuddered lightly at the thought; imagining necromantic rituals or what have you made him uncomfortable. "I'll have my spells ready for when we come upon the culprit, so... until then, we just need to keep on moving. One foot forward, and all that, right?" He gave Beatrix a smile, a far more relaxed one. It seemed like he could trust her unconditionally, and so that's what he was going to do.

"It is for more than just regular assistance. My deity can bathe me in their holy light and bestow blessings upon me and even my weapon. I am their servant and representative in this physical realm. If we encounter mere beasts it shall still be beneficial", she comments as they continue to walk. Of course, whilst stronger and all, she is still shorter and thus walks slower - hopefully he fits his pace to make her able to keep up though. Naturally, someone like her would never actively ask the other person to slow down, so he would have to do it naturally, if so."Of course. In any case I shall make certain we are at least able to flee...though I would hate doing so", she utters as goblins are overall notorious for clinging to honour and pride.

Such a trait could easily be said for minotaurs as well, though in Florence's case, he appeared to be far too gentle to really embrace that sort of mindset. Still, the determination Beatrix showed as they continued on their way was somewhat relieving. "I'd be happy if we were able to break away, though with it being our first job, I'd also want for us to triumph still." he mused in that softer tone, his pace seeming to match Beatrix's shorter speed. What manner of team would they be if he wasn't keeping close to his physically-focused partner? Thus the path would continue on, until they would be able to spy it from the hill they wound up on; a sprawling farmland waiting for them near the bottom of the winding path. "There's the farm. We should be able to gather more clues there..."

The first comment she can surely agree on a whole lot as well, making her nod gently as she responds back to him:"Indeed! It would be a bad mark on our records and reputation to flee from our very first contract. This cannot stand!". Soon enough the duo gets close to the farmstead where this mission is to take place. She wonders if the place is left deserted while the job is being taken care of what. If they are still present in there, they may know more than the bulletin posts seemed to answer. In any case, she intends to make sure this succeeds."Yes. Let us get closer and see what we can find out", she merely states back.

Giving her a nod of understanding, Florence would pace down the hill, taking care not to take too hasty steps; the steepness of the hill required a certain bit of finesse to not just tumble down the path if one wasn't paying heed to their footing. Once they would reach the bottom of the hill and the edge of the farmstead, Florence would let out a brief gasp. Having been hidden by the distant trees looming over, they could see a fair few sizeable holes in the fencing. No livestock was out and about, likely herded into the barns to keep them safe. But one such barn having a boulder-sized hole in the side indicated that this wasn't a foolproof solution. "...whatever's been hunting those poor things is huge, that's for sure..." Florence uttered, shuddering to think of what could have barged through such a thick wall so flawlessly, as he knelt down by one of the holes in the fence, pawing the ground lightly as if get a feel for any tracks.

Beatrix follows behind easily, despite her shorter legs and everything. Her nimbleness is quite astonishing, especially considering her thick armour. Soon enough, she spots the same massive hole in the wall as Florence did. Most would likely be alarmed and concerned at it, but not the paladin goblin. She merely grins wide from ear to ear."Feel free to check it out real quick. I need to do something real fast", she lets him know and once she is by herself for a bit, she kneels down. Once positioned correctly, a soft prayer is spoken. Gradually it is as if small sparkles of light appear, pulsating faintly with extremely sharp lumity for a second or two. The prayer having blessed Beatrix as well as her weapon.

Florence's attention had been entirely on the markings he was tracing with the tips of his fingers, letting out a faint breath. Tracking was a rudimentary skill that most minotaurs were expected to know of even before they came of age, as their roots were in the wild. Whilst Florence's talents and interests lingered with the arcane, those faint memories of desperately trying to find the paw marks of hibernating bears were aiding him somewhat, as his eyes narrowed lightly. "...I think I kinda get what we're looking for." would he hum, looking up to see the sparkles pulsing around where Beatrix had gone. "...miss Beatrix! What's your take on birds?"

OOC: By the way - your reference image link is broken. I think you may have to edit it in again.

The short goblin is still finishing the last part of her prayer as she is adressed, nearly making her slip up. Luckily, she manages to just barely save it fully be done with it. She growl a bit in slighty annoyance as she gets up fully onto her short legs."Florence...I would very much appreciate my prayers not being disturbed...my thoughts on...birds? Whhaaaaat? Why?", she mumbles, clearly baffled by the sudden and odd question about something that seems completely and utterly irrelevant to her or the job as a whole. She even looks a bit shocked as she almost feels like she might have a "kid" on her team now.

(OOC: Should be sorted now!)

Florence couldn't help but wince a bit as he saw Beatrix swaying the faintest bit from where she stood, as he would rub the back of his neck. "Sorry, miss Beatrix, didn't mean to throw you off...!" would he breathe out, before clearing his throat to focus himself again, as he would stand up and point to where he had been foraging in the dirt. "Anyways! I was deciphering the ground for any kind of tracks, and, well, it was kind of hard, it seems like this thing was in a mighty rush... but I noticed a bit of the tracks, appear like they were scraped from talons. Seems like whatever we're dealing with, it's a very big bird... which could mean it's fetching food for its young..." That realization had Florence shudder the faintest bit at just the thought of their target potentially having reinforcements in the form of Florence-sized baby chicks all hungry for a bull-and-goblin combo meal.

• Like 1

Beatrix is completely in the dark when it comes to stuff like tracking, knowledge of nature and in fact much about the outdoors as a whole. So for this at least, Florence seems to be an asset of value to her so far."Well done Florence. Good to see that forest knowledge has some practical uses for us. Allright...if you can lead the way to it somehow, it would be good. I can whack a few times...it will be dead and we will be done. Easy peasy!", she says, not at all seeming hesitant about any part of this, fully confident in her own abilities. She readies her massive hammer if they should be surprised suddenly.