Suggestions

There are almost 8 billion people on this planet this year, and that number keeps going up. Maybe before ARK took off whatever problem caused people to desert their planets, the population decreased. Still, X billions people plus unknown number of aliens is insane amount of people. Maybe there were sister ships that headed in different directions. Dunno.

However, I'm interested about that smaller ships probing the cosmos 🙂 I would imagine that it's crucial for survival to explore all possible planets that could give resources or even be habitable. 

Really I think what it boils down to @Kitsuyumia is we just need a sense of scale here.

Were these ARKs able to house an entire planet worth of people? Even 10% of the population?

Most science fiction depictions of earth show that with the help of mega cities and space faring technology... you could easily imagine the human race reaching 20 Billion or more... with possibly half of that being on Earth and the rest divided throughout the alliance.

So if you build an ARK ship on Earth, could it fit 10 Billion Humans+ all the alien species of the alliance?

This was why I suggested the cryofreezing for certain crew and colonists.

Let's say, the ARK had enough supplies to feed 10k crew and colonists for 10 years. That is already an extremely insane amount of supplies that require storage and care.

Let's take out the supplies and say we had replicator technology like in Star Trek.

Okay cool, but energy was not limitless in star trek. In Voyager they discussed this because there were very few sources of dilithium so replicator usage was rationed. This is why the hydroponics bay was made aboard the ship as an alternative food source. But here's the bigger thing, Voyager was not a colony ship and didnt face nearly the same amount of problems the ARK does.

So usually in an ARK like situation, there has to be plans.... was there a planet or galaxy that was the intended target?

In Mass Effect their ARK ship flew to the Andromeda Galaxy... the flight took hundreds of years so all the colonists and crew went to cryo sleep for all of it. That's because logistically feeding, providing medical care, housing, and maintaining a healthy population for multiple species aboard a ship for long journeys is a nightmare!

Pandorum a movie of the same idea, put 99% of the crew to sleep, while a small crew actually flew the ship in shifts. Every 2 years the crew would switch out and go back to sleep.

So, as I said, I'm REALLY not trying to be an asshole, I want to be supportive and want your club to work because I can tell you did put thought into it! But when someone gives a suggestion, and your response is "I dont see the point" maybe its because we as a group dont see your vision yet... just help us see your vision and I promise you, we will help you make this club fun for everyone! That's the point right? To have fun!

@Kissa and @DreamsnThings liked the idea that you shot down, even @Harmony Frost thought it sounded awesome!

If you dont see the point, well that's still okay, but can you walk me through how the ship keeps a stable population? Because when it comes to ARK levels of crisis... there has to be a plan of maintaining the population. A balance if you will to keep from over populating and under populating. In the end, that was my idea for the breeding program... a system that provides balance.

I hope this helps you see where I'm coming from, and PLEASE understand that I'm not trying to ruin your club or anything like that... just asking for a little help with seeing your vision.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Mysthero the fact that you are asking these questions shows you don't read my posts I made in here. Because looking over all my posts I have answered all those questions before except for the exact populations of species.

The core/powersource is a fusion core. If you do not know what that is that means they badically have a fully contained microstar burning in the core which they use the energy that a fusion reaction outputs to power the ship. Fusion reactors as long as something does not destabilize them are theorized to be able to run for millions of years providing a high amount of power.

For food I have mentioned that there is farming and food production on the ship  and even made the request that we could have characters as farmers working in that field.

As for the population I do not bother with exact population as such can vary minute by minute. But you should assume at the least it was close to current population. But since you seem to require to know how many people were living on earth before I will govr a rough estimate of 16 billion. Not all of them are humans as some humans went to live on other planets and some alien species moved to earth as there was some intermingling. So a majority of npcs should be assumed to be humans unless otherwise stated.

For the senoir staff it should be assumed that the senior staff would be exchanged out as the members get to retiring age. To not do so would be foolish. 

As for the breeding situation nobody has stated their characters species was endangered or nearing extinction. If someone wants to change that they certaiy can do so. But as far as humans go and florasians for me personally those species will be doingg just fine. The only of reason that a breexing program would be needed is if a catastrophic event happened wiping out most of the population of  this specific ark ship. 

And it is not like people are not allowed to have sex and reproduce on the ark. As with a population of several billion people wnforcing such a rule would be unrealistic and would be impossible. Plus it was also mentioned there was a need for school teachers meaning there is a regular population of children on the ark. Also the cybernoids that were made for the ark also have functionality to help repopulated the different species if needed.

For mineral ores and such there will be occasional stops to mine ores from dead moons or astroids so they keep storage fully stocked.

And NO CRYOSLEEP. cryosleep is a major sci-fi trope i avoid. As it is physically impossible to achieve. Some other sci-fi concepts i put in have some possibility of being able to work, but cryosleep is the one that has been confirmed to 100% be impossible as for most living matter especially creatures and humanoid beings if you bring their tempuratures down to that level of cold in order to freeze them it kills any living tissue thus killing the living organism. (Basically essentially causing body wide frostbite all at once) plus in sci-fi cryosleep itself almost never works as it is usually potrayed as failing during the cycle and killing the occupants in nearly every occurance of it .

However I would like to take this moment to add some more information. I am now thinking farming by itself in an artificial environment may not fully suppliment the population. So I will have replication as well as farming to suppliment this food production effort. 

I forgot to put, Cybernoids when they become pregnant they only require a month for the full gestation period.  And children their children are genetically encoded to grow to sexual maturity rapidly, within a few months. This is to allow for rapid repopulation efforts, but again this is only if it is needed.

I am planning to put some of this stuff in the lore section. Just I havent had alot of time irl to work on it.

There was somewhere mention about small expeditions outside the ship, but I couldn't find it.

I would very much like to do some small expeditions for exploring a planet or gathering supplies or something along those lines. Is it possible to so such things without them being GM lead events?

Which brings me to my other question, what is the focus of this rp? Are we supposed to thread own stories or is this all about slice of life kinda interaction between the chars in the ARK?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kissa said:

There was somewhere mention about small expeditions outside the ship, but I couldn't find it.

I would very much like to do some small expeditions for exploring a planet or gathering supplies or something along those lines. Is it possible to so such things without them being GM lead events?

Which brings me to my other question, what is the focus of this rp? Are we supposed to thread own stories or is this all about slice of life kinda interaction between the chars in the ARK?

This was literally a question I asked too...  

On 04/07/2021 at 09:41, ThatLewdCat said:

I mean... As I said - "I may have gone too far in a few places". Maybe I'm reaching out to logic and trying for things to make sense where they shouldn't. Maybe this club is not intended as something super story-focused, with complex lore, adventures, etc... Maybe it's just a "background", the decorations for lewds in space. Because it's not really stated clearly anywhere... Not yet, anyway. 🙂 

So yeah, it would be also nice to know what's the direction for this club? The "goal", so to speak. Is it story, adventures, drama, relationships between "main characters" with some occasional lewds here and there... Or is it just decorations for lewds? Both options are fine. The latter just doesn't really require much complex thought behind the "decorations", really. And all that I've said above, in my first message, is kinda pointless lol.

...but hardly got a proper answer. I feel like @Kitsuyumia is not sure what she even wants herself. 

If you wanted the whole sci-fi space thing with aliens to be JUST BACKGROUND for "personal relationships" between characters, then why even bother with this whole extinction event and ark ship? Yeah, you said it already - to ensure "a feeling of isolation", sure sure. I get it. I read you, loud and clear. But that could be done with much easier setups. And most importantly - much more logically sound than what there is now. There are just SO MANY "holes" at the very core of your plot. I already explained some of the things in my previous post there.

And I actually find it a bit funny how you said that you don't want cryosleep because "it's physically impossible to achieve", despite the fact that we're talking future, sci-fi, possibly alien technologies that are beyond our current modern understanding which could possible handle that issue described by you... And yet you're fine with a huge amount of other illogical inconsistencies that don't make sense even in sci-fi? Such as a the very core idea of this "ark ship" that started from Earth and yet supposed to house not just humans, but also aliens? Considering a full on "extinction event", pretty much? And to add to that... You say the ship is large enough to house everyone(including aliens!) and is powered by a microstar? Do you even realize how much resources and time is needed to create that and what kind of SIZE that thing is supposed to be then? And, if we're talking housing the whole population of Earth - along with aliens too - why people aren't living on such mega-ships or space stations in the first place and cling to planets then? None of that makes sense.

And there's seriously so many more weird stuff that could be entirely avoided by simply not going up that whole ark ship trope, but instead just making it a large space station in deep space. So deep and far that the feeling of "isolation" is there too - ships need months to get to this distant outpost in the middle of nowhere. Or if you want even further isolation - just have some space anomaly around that station too. Either completely pulling the whole station into some alternate dimension or there's some sort of nebulae/gravitational anomaly circle around it that prevents FTL travel to this station directly, so ships will have to go through this anomaly on sub-FTL speeds. And it takes time to go through that anomaly, so no daily arrivals and supplies, ya know. Nor any quick support, in case of emergencies. Quite fitting for a term "isolation", no? That way, this whole soup of alien species could be logically explained, as well as doesn't require billions of "hypothetical" NPCs to handle. And so on, so forth. It could also allow for easier handling of possible missions that you promised. But also just serve as a background - for personal relationships between characters who just live in this sci-fi world, on this space station.

Also, please... @Kitsuyumia ... Please, tone down that "attitude"?

11 hours ago, Kitsuyumia said:

the fact that you are asking these questions shows you don't read my posts I made in here.

We read you loud and clear, again. You just have to better explain your thoughts, so everyone sees and understands everything properly. Maybe finally start filling up that Lore Info for example? By answering those questions that are asked already multiple times? Or at least create a Q&A/FAQ thread for such things? To answer the "common" questions?

These are not personal attacks on you or your creation. It's suggestions/criticism of your work - to make it better, logical, easy to use. I can't speak for others, only for myself. I'm not trying to "trash talk" your creation. I'm trying to help. Isn't that why you created this "Suggestions" thread in the first place?

• Like 1

I know what I wanted but everyone here seems to want to make everything overly complicated. I just wanted a setting to be on a large space ship with a closed community. I didnt want to have to solve a whole bunch of rocket science and engineer the whole damn ship and explain every single unneccessary detail. When I say the population of earth I mean humans and aliens combined not that the population is just humans and there are the aliens in addition. And the suggestions section wasnt ment to nitpick and poke holes at everything it was ment to suggestion areas to be added for the roleplay like asking for an arcade or for a spa or aomething of that nature.  I didnt want to do a space station cause there is already a roleplay as such on this website and plus this was actually an rp i moved over to here from another app because I wanted to give it new life. And you say you dont want to ruin the rp but thats literally all your doing by constantly critisizing everything and nit picking at everything and wanting to turn it into something different entirely. I just wanted to have fun on a cool space themed roleplay, but now I dread even looking in here cause I am wondering what is being complained about now or what random detail will they expect me to fully explain to the most  minute detail just as an excuse not to rp. Literally coming on this forum has become increasingly more and more frustrating. And I never had to deal with anyone being this uncooperative before. As for direction the direction is make relationships explore the ship, help the community on the ship. You say thats barely an answer but I do not know how else I could possibly explain that further. Literally any relationship can be made, friends, lovers, married couple, even enemies.  And I said I wanted to fill out the lore section but if you actually did read my posts you would see where I said I have been busy irl. I literally have not had time to do so. And Im sorry if I have an additude, but I am really stressed out from things irl right now and you guys are not helping at all. And I feel like Im just gonna explode at the moment and break down from the stress.

I just want you guys to please just cut me some slack and not be all up in my grill about every single detail about how the ship was engineered and such I am not an engineer so I can't come up with precise details like that. I have some medical knowledge but not a doctorate. I am just a normal person. So please just if you ease up just a bit it would be much appreciated. And I will try to get working on the lore section so that there is information that will be more easily accessed.

I will say only one last thing and once again only speak for myself, not for others:

"Suspension of Disbelief". For me, it can only stretch up to a certain point where things are logical and make sense, even if it's in some fantastical world where much more things are allowed to happen than in our real world. The moment logic breaks... the suspension of disbelief breaks. Sorry.

I wish you luck in your creation. Again, wasn't my intention to attack you/your club or ruin your mood.

There is a lot to break down here.

So first I want everyone to take a step back and breathe please. I dont appreciate being talked to like I'm an idiot or an insensitive prick but I also understand real life stress can bleed over into our hobbies. I work 15 hours a day, 6 days a week okay? This is where I go to unwind because my mind palace isn't safe for me anymore. XD

For Kit, I'm gonna break down some things point by point... this isnt because I think you are dumb, or that I dont think you can handle running this club or worse that I am mansplaining... it helps me keep my own thoughts organized because I'm very guilty of losing focus. My previous post shows lots of evidence of that.

@Kitsuyumia Im sorry if I made you feel that you needed a space engineering degree to run this club. Was not my intention. I will say that 16 billion people on one ship is not what I would call a close community, that however is a creative difference. If you say 16 billion people are on this craft. Then 16 billion people are on this craft. I have said repeatedly that I'm not trying to bully you or harm your creation. I am sorry if I made you feel that way, I really am because this IS supposed to be fun and you as the creator are the last person I want to see lose that fun.

All I wanted was a sense of scale because I had no idea if this ship was the size of a town, or a city, but now I understand it is closer to a Planet Craft. That helps me a lot regarding lore and sense of place.

Regarding Cryofreezing, while I could argue for hours about the viability of stasis, cryofreezing, hypersleep ect in sci-fi. I totally understand the trope. You saying no to it, just once again brings me back to the need for scale. Now that I understand the size and scope of the ship, I can happily not have anyone in stasis.

Logistics for a ship of this size is a hellish nightmare that I would not wish to inflict on you... its much easier to discuss, predict, and even calculate how to feed a crew of several thousand, compared to 16 billion. With that in mind, I understand why you simply used gardens and farms. I get it, not asking you to change that.

Next Population, again all that was required was a sense of scale. With 16 billion passengers, if there was a breeding program, whomever did the paperwork alone would no doubt kill themselves. Now that I have that sense of scale, I understand why such a program wouldnt be needed for a hundred years at least or some type of secondary crisis.

But this is why I wanted help seeing your vision. Do I disagree with the logic of it creatively? Yes, I wont lie! I do!

Is it my club/universe/fantasy? Absolutely not and therefore, despite my creative differences with it, you still and always did have my full support! All I wanted was to chime in about more ways players could interact while I still didnt have a sense of scale.

In conclusion...

I am honestly, and truly sorry if I have brought you more stress. My concerns are for every member of the club and that includes you the creator.

You should never, ever feel like coming to your club is a chore and I know I'm in many ways responsible for that feeling.

If you want, I will leave the club because I dont want you to associate my name with stress, anxiety or an unwillingness to read up on your club.

I promise you, nothing about what I intended was ever malicious.

My hope for you is that this can be fun for you still.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up