Amiga gaming nostalgia

Hey everyone.

I have been wanting to do a nostalgia gaming topic for a while now, but I have not really had any clear and solid idea on a subject to go by. Then it did hit me how I wanted to find other people who has memories of the good old Amiga days back in the 90's.

There is no major topic I want to get into, but rather I would love to at least hear and see if there are others here like myself who has fond memories of such a by gone era.

Thankfully, a few of the major classics have resurfaced again on places such as Steam.

My first question is probably this: Do you have a favourite game or game studio from back then?

• Community Administrator

My first ever computer (Basic Amstrad CPC464) - the type you load data and games off of a cassette tape, if I remember correctly you can save things to a cassette tape too, but you can't save games. I think one of my games took 17 minutes to load too. 

My second computer was an Amiga A600 with a 1MB expanded RAM card. I had quite a collection of games for it, like Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Dreams, Lemmings, Lemmings 2, Pinball Illusions and, Civilisations and Theme Park. But the two games that really stuck out to me that I played all the time was Frontier: Elite 2 and Superfrog.

Although I was a pretty rotten kid and I was constantly getting into to trouble, kind of like the son's in Malcolm in the Middle. One of the punishments my father dished out to me was to take away the 1MB expanded RAM card which pretty much made all the games I wanted to play unplayable, like literally. I believe Superfrog always complained that didn't have enough RAM to play. But not having the expanded RAM still let me do my homework on it, and basic word processing, etc. It took me eight months to get it back; and when I did get it back I found out that someone had broken it, damaged it beyond repair, and it didn't work. We were never able to find a replacement so it just ended up being an expensive paperweight.

Games loaded much faster than the Amstrad PC, but these were on Floppy Disks. Some games had more than two disk's, but most of them, if memory serves me right were on one disk. Whilst it was generally faster it was much louder. The floppy drives had a distinct noise that they always made, kind of like a ribbon printer with periodic clunks. To be honest, I kind of liked it. But using it stealthily was absolutely out of the question.

I think Dad felt bad about this because it was ultimately his fault. But after that he tried to build me a computer, but I was given one from my Aunt (An old AST Computer) which I used. And from then on forwards I've pretty much only had Windows PC's. 

I hear that the Amstrad was a pretty decent machine really - do you recall how you liked using it overall?

A few of those games do stick out to me: Pinball Fantasies, Theme Park, Lemmings and of course Super Frog (which you can now play on Steam actually). There were tons of iconic games the more I think about. Amiga really did have their unique charm and, honestly, better graphics and sounds than any other PC at the time. Sadly, it was not meant to last.

How many games/programs actually needed these extra RAM? Is it even a worthy attachment to have anymore if you possess an Amiga? Sorry to hear that things turned out that way, but hopefully it helped teach you to be better.

Ah yes, the classic loading noise. I imagine it would have been less of an issue if you lived in a bigger place? It wasn't THAT noise if memory serves me right.

At some point Commodore did die off and sadly taking the legacy of the Amiga with it.

A few of my favourite games: 1) Magic Pockets 2) Robocod 2 3) Cannon Fodder.

On 01/07/2021 at 18:05, JennyDK said:

My first question is probably this: Do you have a favourite game or game studio from back then?

Being born in '95, I didn't exactly get much chance to experience gaming of the 90s.  My memories of that point of time are incredibly hazy, even now.  I mean, if I had to pick a game from that general timeframe that I'd classify as my favorite, I'd pick Super Mario World, since I remember watching my mom play it once.  I don't exactly remember when I really got into playing games on my own, but I think one of my first was the Genesis version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

...I think.

1 minute ago, NyxAvatar69 said:

Being born in '95, I didn't exactly get much chance to experience gaming of the 90s.  My memories of that point of time are incredibly hazy, even now.  I mean, if I had to pick a game from that general timeframe that I'd classify as my favorite, I'd pick Super Mario World, since I remember watching my mom play it once.  I don't exactly remember when I really got into playing games on my own, but I think one of my first was the Genesis version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

...I think.

I think you may have overlooked the topic title as I wanted to know specifically about any other fellow Amiga user's experiences and such.

Still, I appreciate the input anyway. I currently have both an NES and SNES, but not really any SEGA consoles.

Archived