Lower class district

23 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

Once he comes closer, the faint light are a bit easier to see, albeit still very small in size and glow. It appears to tiny flickering lights that flow in free air, almost dancing. They are fairly wide apart, but still manage to form a sort of chain with each other. If he is to follow this series of lights Abel eventually arrives at what appears to be a thick, heavy iron door with a slit around eye height which is currently closed.

"Are these... Sewer Fireflies or something? Never saw something like this... This is magic, right...?" Abel mumbled quietly, watching the lights flitter and dance about. He resists the urge to try and reach out to touch one, having already tested his fortunes plenty in the span of what felt like half an hour. Nevertheless, his following of the mysterious lights seems to eventually pay off, leaving him standing before a heavy iron door. His brows raise as he looks up, then down, then at the sides of the door before he folded his arms.

"Shady door in a sewers... This is definitely suspicious! Wonder if I can peek inside..." he whispers, pressing his hands against the door to try and peek at the slit, hoping to see anything resembling a source of light beyond it, or hear anything coming from within. All he succeeds at is causing the door to make a noise, potentially alerting what may have laid on the other side and causing him to wince uncomfortably.

The noises being made around the large and thick door are small, but still enough to stand out and able to be heard from the other side. The small slit in the door is closed off, but soon something behind opens it up and a pair of eyes show up on the other side."Who are you? What is your business here?", a stranger says in a dark and graveled voice, adding to the creepiness of this place even more. Due to the size of the slit, it is not possible to see more than this pair of eyes now staring down Abel.

Oh boy, had he done it now. The rattling of the door was one thing, but he hoped that maybe no one was home... Instead it sounded as if someone was indeed home, and sounded like the least friendly thing around. The slit opened up and revealed two eyes staring at him, with seemingly all color draining from his face as he stares back.

"Ah... You know... Um, j-just a plucky adventurer who... Saw an open sewer and decided to enter it, wading through waist high crap (literally) in search of neat items and... Kind of chanced upon this door, thought no one was home, but you're here and... Well, here we are?" That was certainly a mouthful... But now he had to wonder: What kind of being lived this deep in the sewers? Surely the construction of Karthel made it so most living quarters were above ground... Which meant that whoever, or whatever, lived here was probably unsanctioned. Living in the sewers no less, and beneath the Lower-class District would have meant that a place like this might have been beyond the notice of anyone who lived in the more well-off Districts.

"N-now enlighten me, who are you? What are you doing down here?" Truth be told, he had more questions, but... Right now he had to keep it simple. 

There is a low grumbling noise coming from them as they listen to Abel answer them back. There is a slight pause before more words are sent back out through the slit."None of your goddamn business. If you don't have any sort of business here, then I suggest you leave! We don't want unwanted people snooping around where they don't belong!", he growls, with a bit of annoyance to his tone of voice.

• Like 1

'We'? As in 'more than one' we? Now, Abels' eyes narrow at hearing that.

"None of my business... Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. Before I go, maybe you won't mind answering another question, since I do have business for being down here: Would you happen to know anything about missing children? Many have gone missing from just the Lower-class District alone, to say nothing of the others... You happen to be holed up in a very suspicious place right now. If you know anything about them, I and many others would appreciate it if you could share your information." If the figure wasn't feeling friendly enough to volunteer any information when he was just being amicable about it, then maybe getting to the heart of the matter would.

In the worst case scenario, there was probably going to be a fight on his hand... Part of him wished it wouldn't be the case though. He smelled like crap already, he didn't need to feel like crap too.

Edited by Gardsorm

"You'se very nosey there bub! I don't think it is wise for you to go poking around too much...or bad stuff might start to happen to yah. If I were you I would just mind mah own business and move along", the voice going on, sounding increasingly tiresome of this conversation with no real point to it. As the conversation goes, faint sounds of more voices can be heard from the other side."Grog. Who you'se talking to?", another voice is heard, making the person divert his eyes for a second or two to address the third person."Never yah mind. I's taking care of it. Won't be a bother much longers", the doorman growls back.

"You're not making this any easier... Here, let me help. Many others watched me come down here, pal. I came down here to scout out things before others came down here. You try anything funny, try to 'get rid of me', and this little hole of yours is gonna get raided. So don't screw with me, I got friends among those kids and I'm not afraid to light any number of fires under people's asses to find them!" He was awfully trash-mouthy for an elf, but his worry for his own life was beginning to take a backseat in lieu of wanting to bring some closure to these tragic events. Laughter deserved to return to the streets of the Lower-class District. Without realizing it, the air around his hand began to chill... Though he flicked his wrists to keep it from flaring up.

"Now I'm going to ask again: What do you and your friends know about the missing children? Tell me!"

A loud and disdainful snort comes from the other side and no more words are spoken. Rather, the slit is simply pushed back to where it was before, closing off any communication and eye contact the two of them had before. Afterwards, the silence fills the tunnel once more, beyond any normal ambient background noises that naturally occur in this sort of environment.

Jacob enters in the Lower Class Distract after some bribing of some of the poor folk that live there. He is walking around curiously, He is on guard with is hand on His long sword the whole time in case someone wants to attack Him. He looks around to see if He can find someone that might interest His fancy. “Hmm, such a terrible place for people to live in, Why do they even live here if this is how bad it is?” 

50 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

A loud and disdainful snort comes from the other side and no more words are spoken. Rather, the slit is simply pushed back to where it was before, closing off any communication and eye contact the two of them had before. Afterwards, the silence fills the tunnel once more, beyond any normal ambient background noises that naturally occur in this sort of environment.

"... Tch, cowards! Fine then..." It's clear that Abel had at least rattled the nest a little bit, but pushing his luck would probably not end well... For him or the children. He had to remember he'd bluffed them about being seen going down into the sewers, so he had to count his blessings that they bought it, and make his way back to the surface. Maybe once he got there, he could let the Adventurer's Guild know what he found down here and get them to sweep the sprawling sewers all over Karthel.

Though the first order of business was to secure a light for the trip back. Remembering the mysterious lights that had guided him here,  part of him hoped that they would help lead him back out... Or at least somewhere where he could be more helpful. He felt like he had a breakthrough here, he needed to act on it.

Jacob Decides to look around for people that may offer him coin for tasks they need him to do, He is trying to become a hero and be respected by the people of the lower class district so he can be a representative for the people living in the district. “Hello? Anyone here? I’m here to help in anyway I can!” He shouts out so he could draw attention to himself.

18 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

"... Tch, cowards! Fine then..." It's clear that Abel had at least rattled the nest a little bit, but pushing his luck would probably not end well... For him or the children. He had to remember he'd bluffed them about being seen going down into the sewers, so he had to count his blessings that they bought it, and make his way back to the surface. Maybe once he got there, he could let the Adventurer's Guild know what he found down here and get them to sweep the sprawling sewers all over Karthel.

Though the first order of business was to secure a light for the trip back. Remembering the mysterious lights that had guided him here,  part of him hoped that they would help lead him back out... Or at least somewhere where he could be more helpful. He felt like he had a breakthrough here, he needed to act on it.

Luckily, the way he got there was painfully straight forward and linear, though the lights only light the same path as before and not all the way to the entrance where he dropped down. So without too much trouble he is able to find the ladder once more. Only a small part of it had broken and even then just bent slightly, So it only causes a minor inconvenience on the way up from the sewer hole.

11 minutes ago, DarkGhost954 said:

Jacob Decides to look around for people that may offer him coin for tasks they need him to do, He is trying to become a hero and be respected by the people of the lower class district so he can be a representative for the people living in the district. “Hello? Anyone here? I’m here to help in anyway I can!” He shouts out so he could draw attention to himself.

Most people give him funny looks and simply avoid him. Not so much due to his rather sudden and strange declaration, but knowing that the wrong sort of people would probably want to mess with him in some way. Of course, declaring yourself a helper of sorts loudly in a place full of lowlives, bandits and other scum is bound to end badly. So it doesn't take long before a couple of burly and large orcs clad in shabby clothing begin to get near him."You coming here to start trouble huh? Well...how about we show you what so called "saviours" get to happen to them around these parts....", the largest of the two speak out.

Just before the two of them get too close to him, a noise is heard and immediately after, a revolting stench hits all of their noses as a smelly and nasty looking person emerges from an open sewer grate @Gardsorm

• Haha 1

As long as he didn't need to take another dip in the rotten drink, Abel wouldn't mind the trip back to the sewers. He couldn't help but feel unnerved, however, that this was starting to feel natural to him... Gods, he really was not like any elf known, wasn't he? The smell was foul, but it didn't make him gag and choke like it used to, no doubt his time down here having desensitized him to it somewhat. The first few steps on the ladder give him pause, making sure the whole thing wasn't come falling down on him. Once he was sure it would remain standing, he shook his head and began to climb back up to the surface...

There was little surprise on his features when he made it above ground, uttering a quiet 'phew!' as he pulls himself out. His once white and brown clothes now look beyond recognition, as he flicks his wrists down toward the sewer and shakes his head, before turning to the voice who accosted him. 

"Hm? Hey there! I'm just the guy who gets caught up in all sorts of shit jobs. Sometimes literally!" He gave a friendly laugh and a wave, clearly unaware of the conflict that was going on. "Uh... Did I pop up at a bad time?"

"Who is this asshole? And an ugly and smelly one at that! Ugh...just being near him is almost making me hurl...no thanks", the orc barks out and looks physically discontent before he grabs the other one and soon they have left together, making the fight defuse before it even started. So at least there was a good part about Abel not exactly smelling like roses. This leaves him and Jacob back, most likely unsure what in the world just happened and how.

"Eh!? Asshole!? You want an asshole, I'll give you another asshole, you bargain basement pig! AHHH!" Abel shouted, raising his fist. The orcs had left far too fast before he got the chance to hurl something cold and spiky in their general direction. Today had been long and crappy... Mostly crappy. It couldn't have even been an hour in the day yet! Still, after a petulant kick at a pebble on the ground, he remembered the presence of the other person raising a brow.

"Why...? Oh, right, I went down into the sewers because I kind of detected something. I was hoping to find a lead on the missing kids, and... Well, it's dark down there. Missed a step and took an unwanted dip in the drink... But look, that doesn't matter right now! I've gotta get to the Adventurer's Guild and get them to sweep the sewers of Karthel! I found a strange door down there that had a few people behind it. They sounded pretty defensive when I went to ask about the missing kids!" With that said, he turned toward the man speaking to him, before giving him a wide berth in light of the smell, racing off toward the Adventurer's Guild.

• 4 weeks later...

GM: Scene with @Gardsorm continued here.

"I guess when you put it like that, it's only fair. Though we do kind of have our own issues. For what it's worth though, Karthel looks like a great place to live as long as you don't mind the poverty of Lower-Class or manage to make a name for yourself and move to Middle, I guess. Still, home is where the heart is, and I won't forget how kind the forests were to me." Abel smiled, feeling like Lady Xandria was opening up a little. Of course, this was probably just small talk, and he had to be careful about laying it on too thick. With a name like Lady Xandria, she gave him the impression of nobility, and wasting hee time with idle prattle sounded like something that might bother her.

"... Somehow hearing that just makes me more anxious... Appear makes it sound like he's summoned at will, or invoked." The elf shook his head. Maybe he was just misreading what she said? Whatever the case, after a short walk, he managed to lead her back to the sewer he entered once before. "Be careful on the way down, I think I messed it up a little when I tried climbing back up earlier." He gave the young woman a warning before he began to make his way down first. Just don't look up... That was a death sentence waiting to happen.

Theraminas has little to add to that topic as she has little experience with the lower class or really has much interest in it overall."I suppose that it does, but I have no idea what issue woodland critters have beyond gathering nuts for the winter or something". From the sound and tone of her voice, she seems rather indifferent towards the issues beyond the walls unless it is something major and important. Whilst she does not return with a smile of her own, she does at least keep a civil tone and facial expression about her, well mannered as she is.

"Do not worry. I have my ways of getting around". She waits for him to ascend first and once he is down, she does her own thing, out of sight of the smelly sewer man. As he stands down at the ledge of the sewer, she suddenly steps out of the shadows near him, with her umbrella now folded once more."Allright. Lead the way, Mr. Abel", she simply states.

"Ah, for starters, some have issues competing with us for living space among the trees and foliage. Most don't mijd, but we tend to get a few thieving creaters who like to slip in when we're not paying attention to take our food. It's mostly innocent issues though, nothing that has gone far enough to consider it troublesome." In stark contrast with Theraminas, it seemed Abel was ever the chatty type, missing the notion that she didn't seem very interested in the content. It was a small blessing that he didn't stop to talk, thereby wasting precious time. Making his way down the ladder, he steps down and promptly flinches when she steps out of a mass of shadows.

"... I am never getting used to that." He sighs, reaching down to lift the lantern he'd 'borrowed' from the Adventurer's Guild while he was there to avoid a repeat of his earlier accident. "When I came down here, it was... This way." He wandered off to retrace his steps, trying to keep the pace up so he didn't keep the two of them in the sewers any longer than they needed to be. 

Theraminas gives Abel a questioning look as if she does not understand what he means by getting used to something."Understandable. This environment is indeed not something suited for someone such as myself. Thankfully, I have the grace needed to get through easily and hopefully without too much filth on my clothing. I shall follow your lead then mr. Abel", she replies softly and silently follows suit. Someone with keen senses may notice something odd about her movement, though a person would have to pay close attention.

After some time, the two of them does finally arrive at the firmly locked steel door, preventing access to whatever is behind this barrier before them.

"You know, I realize I'm talking a lot about myself, but I haven't really gotten much information about you. Like, where do you live in Karthel? How long have you been with the Adventurer's Guild?" Abel asked as he lead the way in the sewers. Maybe it was his own fault for talking so much, but at the same time it felt unnerving that the only times Lady Xandria spoke was when she was addressed by him. Maybe she was just naturally a lady of few words... Or maybe she wanted to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Standing before the iron door, he huffed and pushed against the structure, before he shook his head. "This is where I got before, spoke to... Someone on the other side of the door. I don't think they were alone either. I tried asking them about the missing children and I was told to mind my business. Do you have a way to open the door?"

The young lady would sigh to herself if she could, but still decides to at least answer him as staying silent would be bad mannered and beneath her."That's because I am a very private person. If you desire to know such basic information I suppose I can indulge that need. At least to a certain point. I have been with the guild for about 20 years by now and I am one of the more senior members", Theraminas answers him, willingly diverting speaking of where she has residence, if she even has one to begin with.

"Oh, I see. Yeah, I would not trust most people who would willingly live down here. It reeks of underground market or worse. One moment and I should be able to open it....do not be alarmed mr. Abel", she says and before he react, every ounce of light is engulfed with complete and unimpenetrable darkness. A few seconds pass by and he finds himself standing alone near the door, but something like the sound of a lock opening is heard and soon the door opens up with Theraminas on the other side.

"Wait, twenty years? You honestly don't look that old... You know, not very, uh... Filled out and all, and... W-well, I suppose I shouldn't judge a book by its cover." Abel looked away for a moment, scratching his chin. It definitely wasn't a proper thing to day, especially to someone who was clearly above him in all regards. More experienced, higher class... She was also the only source of backup he had down here, so maybe it was a good idea to stay on her good side. "Being a private person must get lonely though... I don't think I could ever do it. Something exciting needs to be happening for me, preferably with other people."

It didn't occur to him how strange and out of context what he said could have been taken, but thankfully Theraminas was already on the case of how to get around the door... Unfortunately it involved shrouding the area in total darkness, even down to the lamp he used, and before long there's only uncomfortable silence. Thankfully the wait isn't long before the door opens once more, as he moves his hands to clap. "Go, Lady Xandria! Did you happen to see anything out of the ordinary when you popped up over here?" He asked, stepping through the doorway and looking about. By now, the thugs down here could have been anywhere in the sewers...

She gives him a look which could most likely be interpreted in any number of ways, but in reality just being one of slightly "weirded out". She is not offended at least, so she simply responds back in her regular and usual normal tone of voice."If you are referering to my bodily appearance contrasted to the information just given...let us just say there is a proper explanation to that. One that I usually prefer to keep to myself if possible. It is nothing personal Mr. Abel", she says, trying to both reassure him as well as try to make it clear that his determination of her age may not be what it seems.

She gives a soft, but still pretty smile at the compliment."I have not, no. I only went in to make the door open, granting us access. It would be unwise to venture on alone. Two sets of eyes are better than one, after all", she calmly reponds back before looking around the entrance of the door and beyond.

What both of them can see, is a set of stairs leading downwards, indicating they need to venture even further below. There is no light here beyond the lantern they have with them.

Edited by JennyDK