Guilds, schools and academy district

• 6 months later...

Balik was new to the town. He had found his way first and foremost to the job board, and made his decision to take on a job for the guild. He entered the building and looked about, even brazenly calling out for a bit of assistance. "Ey, I'm here to take on the job of recovering one of your members! Anyone here that can give me some info?"

• 4 months later...

A slightly winded Pruszia can be seen rushing into the area having run from the market district as her mind keeps recounting the directions that she was given by Kathrina, which she would take a moment to brush a few stray strands of her raven black hair and fixing her disheveled appearance from her run. She would quietly head over to the entrance of the mage's guild recommended by Kathrina as she clutches the small black coin purse containing the strange sigil in it. Her confused gaze would trail along the old building as she quietly stood out front the entrance a bit frightened of any further information on the amulet.

As the goblin enters the new district, many new sorts of buildings rise around her, many of them really, really old and important looking. Many people wander around in various uniforms or work attire, showing how they belong to various schools, guilds and so on. Of course, these places also see plenty of traffic from clients, people sightseeing, aspiring new students and others. There is no lack of people of all kinds here, so her presence does not stand out in any sort of way here. The direction given to her eventually leads to one of the oldest looking buildings here and it looks like a huge place of course.

0bf552cefa4be29edc7ae9b86a20672a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pruzsia would marvel at the massive old building as she looks around the entrance to the large doors, which she would quietly clutch the soft velvet pouch as she gulps nervously. She would cautiously walk up to the front door and looks around the area for either someone for assistance or a bell, while she marveled at the large old buildings details not fully paying attention.

Soon after entering the large double doors, the goblin gets to have her first ever view of the inside of the mages guild, the hallways grand, long, extravagant and with plenty of books about all sorts of subejcts everywhere. People of all ages and in all sorts of outfits walk around, looking either busy or with their eyes and minds focused elsewhere at the moment, as no one seems to notice the short figure who appeared here - at least not right away.

cca43f0d9a53e1df81cda400000101dd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The small goblin being confused at where to go and amazed at the massive interior and ancient looking tomes with her having to crane her head back to look up towards the top of the ceiling or bookshelves. Pruszia would quietly walk around the interior of the front hall in shock before looking around for a front desk or receptionist to help her with identifying the cursed item, which she would politely ask the closest person to hear that didn’t appear in a hurry, “Umm excuse where might I inquiry about more information or go to get a mystical item identified?”

At least from where she has entered and where she is at, there are no counters, but there are signs here and there that are meant to direct people in the right directions. Most of the people around her seems mostly lost in their own business. Luckily, one of the mages, an older man with soft eyes and a classy looking suit on, finally notices someone speaking to him. The grey haired older man kneels down to be more at the proper height level with the goblin who approached him and spoke up."Hello there young miss. Oh...a mystical item? That sounds interesting indeed, but what do you know about this thing of yours? There are many here who can tell you, but things here can get a bit...special and specific, I'm afraid.", he answers her with a kind tone of voice, kind of like a sweet old grandfather.

• 2 weeks later...

Pruszia nods her head enthusiastically causing her witch's hat to bobble on top of her head as she smiles happily at the elderly man in front of her that as crouching down at her eye level. She chews on her bottom lip and exclaims softly, "Oh ummm well the nice shop keep lady like umm totally cursed...." as her glances down in the direction of the velvet pouch clutched in her clasped hands. She continues to ramble on, "I like umm didn't get the rest of the techno-magic babble besides being told to come here" as she smiles up at him quite proud of herself to have recounting her tale.

The older mage tries his best to make some sort of sense out of her rambling, only really getting halfway or close to it, in understanding what she is trying to tell him."So...you went to see a shopkeep...about some sort of item? Why did she point you towards here?", he asks, still pretty unclear on her goal for being here.

Pruszia would take a small breathe after her rambling and listen to the old man's question causing her to hold out her hand showing the small pouch that she had "found" in the market. She would exclaim out loud, "I found the item in this pouch and thought I could sell it, so I like took it to a merchant that specialized in enchanted items" as she slow opens the pouch pulling out the strange cursed amulet. She would continue on prattling on with her tale, "She like ummm total scared me saying it was cursed and I like um should total come here..." She hold the amulet out for the old man to look at as she nervously asks, "Like can anyone help uncursed or whatever this thingy did to me?"

The wizard now has a better idea of what is the matter here and what Pruszia wants help with. While she seems fairly overgeared, he keeps his composure."Ohh, it's cursed? Well, it better get examined then....and luckily, I am one of the professors that has expertise in that area. If you don't mind waiting a bit in my study room, you can wait for me to finish a task. It shouldn't take too long...", he informs her, serving as a possible solution for her problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Pruszia quiets down slightly at the mention of assistance from the professor at the academy as she nods and gives a chipper smile, "Uh sure professor!" She would look around the academy lobby and asks, "Uh um where is your office?" as she quickly closes the pouch that contained the strange amulet after returning the amulet back into the pouch being careful not to break the object. She would continue on looking up at the professor biting her bottom lip slightly chewing on it nervously as she asks, "Ummm must be nice being a professor here?'

He takes her through lots of different corners, hallways and doors, this place very huge and confusing."I will take you there. It is a bit longer now, little goblin", he tells her calmly as they keep going. Around them, plenty of other members walk around or sit at desks or practice various arts, certainly giving the impression of this place being one for lots of skilled practitioners and learned scholars of all sorts. He doesn't really look her way though, so is unable to sense her current state of anxiety."Most days is satisfactory in nature and output, yes. What sort of profession colours your days, miss? How did you procure such a damned item as well?", he asks, showing his own sort of curiousity.

• 2 weeks later...

Pruzsia would follow behind the professor at the mention of being taken to his office responding politely, "Oh that would be lovely then and thank you for your time sir." She would glance around in wonder at the different members and the magical arts being practiced in various different locations on the duo's route. At the question of her profession, she would stumble slightly saying, "Oh um, most of my days are spent travelling around the city and conversing with people when I'm not studying my family heirloom" as she softly pats the arcane tome hanging from a chain on her left hip. She nervously chuckles, "Curiosity killed the cat, I found the pouch in the market after leaving a stall that I was browsing" before shrugging her shoulders.

The older man listens to Pruszia do her best to explain as deeply as possible, but avoiding any sort of lawful pitfalls that could incriminate herself as a result. He doesn't intend to press on the matters, as that is likely not any of his business anyway. Their route soon takes them to what looks like more isolated rooms, such as study rooms, offices and the like."I see. You ought to be more careful though...and you are an arcanist as well? What sort of school of magic do you practice?", he asks just before they reach a locked room. He pulls out a set of many keys and find a particular one, which he uses on the lock.

Pruszia glances around at the different rooms that are around them in an isolated area of the school as she turns her attention back to the old man at his comment about being more careful. She blushes slightly as she responds, "Ummm true finding strange pouches is most likely not a good idea to open it, but it looked like an ordinary leather pouch.... I didn't think it contained anything harmful." At the mention of her being are arcanist, she giggles excitedly and bounces up next to him reveal her old worn tome of magic as she exclaims, "Oh um yes, my gram-gram gave me this book on magic and its text seems to reveal information about illusionary magic along with mind magic." After a moment, she would replace the tome at the resting place on her hip and comments, "Though I have only been working with the illusionary magic since gram-gram made me promise to never attempt any of the mind magic spells claiming it was dangerous" as she shrugs her with a look of contemplation on her face humming softly.

• 4 weeks later...

The older man gives a slight shake to his head."As you have seen....harmful items can show up when you least expect it...luckily, it seems like you are unaffected physically and hopefully mentally. I will be able to tell you more when I examine it, of course", he comments back. He gives the old worn and used tome of spells a quick look."Ah yes...a classic one. Old, but reliable and they nearly never fail too. AS for the danger of wind magic....it really depends on a lot. Have you given it a try ever? At least...somewhere safe?", he asks as he opens the door to his study room and office. It is not a huge room, but it is very full of books and scrolls, both on his bookcases, shelves and his large wooden desk. He takes a seat in a large and comfy lookng recliner and gestures towards a pair chairs on the other side of the desk."Please...have a seat...do you enjoy tea, miss?", he goes on.

She quietly listened to statement about the item before sighing out loud, “Well thats good to know it hasn’t immediately affected my body or mind” and rolls her eyes commenting, “I guess lady luck and fate decided my streak of good fortune was over.”

She shakes her head at the mention of attempting wind magic as she comments , “mmm no I’ve done more illusions based of light and shadows” before shivering slightly, “ Gram-gram was very detailed in what could happen when attempting new magic without a mentor or safe place to study…”

• 3 weeks later...

He does give her a fairly direct stare though."At least from what I can tell...do you have any idea if you feel different in any way?", he asks her. Listening to her speak about her grandmother's cautious words and nods along."Ah yes, magic can get pretty wild and unchecked if you don't understand it fully and show it respect and caution. Have you not considered any guild or find yourself a mentor of some sort?", he asks, wondering why anyone wouldn't do something like that if they have the potential to improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Pruszia shakes her head at the question about feeling any different and replies, “not that I can feel or tell at all.” She shakes her head quietly and replies, “I have not been in the city long and have not had the funds available to search for a mentor or guild at the moment” She pauses briefly tapping her chin lightly with her pointer finger saying, “I honestly hadn’t considered that as being an option or something I could afford” as she shrugs slightly.

Fen walked into the new district, looking around, eyes full of wonder. The buildings of such magnificence as he had not previously beheld. He had been told there were centers of learning here, and being new in town, new to cities in general, he had wanted to experience these new places and see them for himself. It still felt crowded everywhere to him, as he walked casually forward, just taking in the experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2022 at 10:14, DrMender said:

Pruszia shakes her head at the question about feeling any different and replies, “not that I can feel or tell at all.” She shakes her head quietly and replies, “I have not been in the city long and have not had the funds available to search for a mentor or guild at the moment” She pauses briefly tapping her chin lightly with her pointer finger saying, “I honestly hadn’t considered that as being an option or something I could afford” as she shrugs slightly.

He gives her a puzzled look as she literally just wandered in here at the mages guild and was able to talk to him with no problems or fees at all."I see. Uhm....well, there are plenty of places where you can become a protegé or something similar like an assistant. OF course, actual tuition is going to cost you some coin, but there are many other ways to learn and to have someone help you out. It usually just requires doing a bit of work for it", he tells her. Seeing as she is here now and they are introduced and all (well, mostly), he may as well offer what is on his mind too."Perhaps you can become my assistant if you like...I am not sure if I introduced myself. You may call me Maximillian Hartwood, in case I failed to tell you earlier", he goes on.

On 08/12/2022 at 19:48, Balthier said:

Fen walked into the new district, looking around, eyes full of wonder. The buildings of such magnificence as he had not previously beheld. He had been told there were centers of learning here, and being new in town, new to cities in general, he had wanted to experience these new places and see them for himself. It still felt crowded everywhere to him, as he walked casually forward, just taking in the experience.

The district is full of immense buildings and other great monuments of varying size. Plenty people crowd the streets, many of them dressed in similar clothing as they are students or apprentices of various places here. Many different races make up this crowd as well, making him not stand out as much as he may have thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Pruszia cheeks tinge a slight pink as she thinks that she forgot his name as she stutters out a reply, "uh um its nice to meet you, Mr Hartwood. And thank you for your help in the amulet along with your offer to be your assistant." She continues stating, "I honestly had not considered being an apprentice or assistant for my magic studies, since I was still getting use to this beautiful city" as she chews on her bottom lip at the mention of coin and replies, "Well I mean a little hard work never hurt no body though magic did always seem to be tied to the rich for fancy schools." She glances around the office as she replies, "So uhm what would being your assistant actually require me to do and how would your tutoring in magic work?" before turning her attention back to him.