Adventurers guild

The Guild is amazing: a huge ornate hall, big enough to swallow the whole of my little village: but I try to look unimpressed, as an Experienced Adventurer would.

There is a sort of long shelf, and behind it an amazing display of bottles of all shapes and colours: and some are of glass! Real glass, transparent and smooth, clear and coloured, like jewels fashioned into bottle shapes. I mean, of course not THAT amazing - I have seen glass bottles, the village elder has one for special occasions, so there are just a lot of them here. But it is hard not to gawp. Why would anyone need so many bottles, and all so different? And what on earth might they contain? Drinks? Beeer, even? They let me taste beer once, at the village, but I didn't like it: but I did like the wine even though it made me feel funny and they didn't let me have any more. Mybe some of the bottles contain WINE???

No-one else seems to pay the slightest attention to the bottle display though, so I shake myself out of my amazement and present myself smartly to the man who stnds behind the long shelf with the bottles behind him:

"Greetings! I am Della, from a land far but not strange, an Adventurer, and I seek Adventure!"

I ould kick myself - I need to practice these speeches - of course an Adventurer would seek Adventure, it's what they do - what we do - what I do - I mean, why did I say that? People will think I am naive if I am not careful.

• Like 1

One of three large and heavily clad males turn towards the young woman who was going here, but whom they did not notice."Greetings miss. Adventure you say? You have come to the right place if that is your wish. You just need to register with the guild before you can do work for them. Usually you get one from having an interview with the guildmaster as she likes to personally approve of any new members. Say...do you not have any gear besides that sword of yours? Most monsters and the like won't be likely to not try to hurt you....", he replies back.

I feel my face fush with pride as the man addresses me as one of them - accepting me as the Adventurer that I am!

The men do indeed have mahy and varied weapons: and I do wish the sword was not quite so heavy, it is all I can do to draw it from its sheath and when I do I can hardly lift it even with both hands: but I make light of his question:

"One such as I, good sir, have little need of weapons: and this trusty sword..."

I start to draw it but it sticks, and I can't, so I thrust it back again with some effort, hoping he has not noticed:

"this trusty sword is more than a match for any enemy, monster or not"

Did he say 'monsters'? They are real, then not just stories made up to frighten silly children?

I suddenly feel very hungry, and very thirtsy, and more to myself than meaning to say out loud, I muse quietly:

"I do wish I had brought coin for food and drink though..."

He raises an eyebrow as he watches closely the rather pitiful and useless attempt to try and appear capable of something as simple as drawing the blade."Ohhh, I see how it is. Another village "big shot" who slayed some big animal and think that is all there is to it. Listen kid...I would hate to see anyone get hurt or waste their time. So perhaps you ought to try and get some leather armour at the very least and learn to use that sword there. Or do you really want to be slain by whatever enemy you may end up facing....and are you saying you have no money either? Oh boy...how did you make it this far?", he says, honestly more concerned than in jest and ridicule.

My heart swells with pride when he calls me a 'big shot', though he tempers the compliment with good advice.

And I am made proud agan at is evident admiration for my prowess at reaching Karthel, on my own and without money:

"The journey was not far..."

wait, I am supposed to be from far..

"...not far for me, though far indeed...."

Oh God I am not making sense and now he is going to think I am strange:

"far but not strange..."

stop with the strange, Della, change the subject:

"yet yes, Lo! I am here and indeed weary and hungry and..."

my voice tails off....why did I say 'Lo!'?

The man looks like he is simply dumbfounded with amazement. He was sure that he was being quite clear, but this girl seems to not really listen at all. He sighs heavily and nearly facepalms. He honestly cares little for how close or far away she is. This level of airheadedness is sure to get her killed and while it is not his problem, he is not going to let someone go into almost uncertain death. He places a hand on one of her shoulders, his palm huge and firm."Listen...you need to be properly prepared to work here. I have my doubt you can even do danger rating 1 with your current...skill. Tell me...what experience do you have?", he asks, trying to get a feel for her background with combat or just adventuring in general.

His hand on my shoulder confirms his acceptance of me as an equal - a comrade in arms. And he is offering to be ... my mentor ... my sensei, my guide in this new life of Adventure. Tears of joy mixed with pride prick my eyes. I recall the sweeping bow villagers make in the ceremony to select - and aubmit to a a new village elder. I cross my feet, steping one foot behind the other, sweep my arms out trying to catch the hem of my skirt but forgetting it it too short, not my modest village girl gown, step on my sword and nearly trip but recover myself and turn the bow into a sort of awkward curtsy:

"Thank you, Master, I shall delight in your tutelage.."

'tutelage' is a good word, I am glad I learnt it.

The large armoured man is slowly growing from concerned and to annoyed."What the fuck are you talking about? I am not here to teach you. I am giving you a fair warning and starting tips", he responds, his voice a bit louder and even the most dense person could sense he was not pleased. He groans deep and heavily, removing his hand from the shoulder and shakes his head."Are you seriously this goddamn slow? You will have no bloody chance as an adventurer being this ditzy or slow to comprehend anything anyone tells you...", he says before turning around and walking back to his companions.

Something has roused his ire: I know not what. But his lack of grace dissuades me from accepting his offer: if I am to choose a Master, it is not to be one so mercurial and easily distracted. Mayhap the Adventirers' Guild is fallen to be a place if decadent sloth, frequented by those whose day has passed? Certainly now its opulence seems .. contrived ... desperate.

Haughtily, and ostentatiously ignoring the rough aging mercenaries,  I stalk out, head held high, and follow the road back whence I came.

• Confused 1

"*Huff... Huff...* Man... I've gotta get into better shape, this is ridiculous." Abel muttered to himself, doubled over and trying to catch his breath (it wasn't pleasant breath, but air was air, and as long as it didn't choke him to death...). More than a few civilians had noticed the smell and tried to steer clear of the elf... And thankfully some of the pungent aroma had begun to stop pervading his form. However, his clothes still bore the brunt of it, and before the day was up, he was probably going to have to burn them as a mercy to everyone else around him. Standing upright, he turned to look back at the figure that chased him. "So... Did I do something wrong? You're following me and I don't even know you... Well, whatever, the name's Abel!" For now, that would hopefully suffice to the man who followed. ( @DarkGhost954 )

Striding into the Adventurer's Guild, he tried to ignore anyone that might have turned to look at him as the most foul thing to enter the establishment that day. "Uh, excuse me! Can anyone point me toward someone who can help organize an expedition? It's important!" Of course, maybe such a claim would appear absurd to others, especially from a man who smelled like he woke up in some rotting mire. 

One of the members, who also helps with the administrative parts, soon spots the two newcomers, for good or for bad. At least they appear more capable than the last weirdo who showed up earlier. Luckily, this is not really a place that is too "high class" to turn down people unless they made a habit of this. The man is a rather normal looking skinny guy dressed in practical clothing. In fact, not much about screams adventurer, but he still approaches, though keeping some distance towards Abel."Whoaaaa there. Who are you? What do you seek here you two?", he asks them.

• Like 1

"Okay, look, I don't smell that bad anymore. It was worse earlier! Look, let me just take a sniff a- URK... N-nevermind, it's not gonna get much better, you're in a good place." Abel lamented, hanging his head along with his ears as the man addresses him and the man who had come with him. Nevertheless, once given the prompt to explain why he was here, he remembered the important business he arrived for.

"My name is Abel Chillswell, Lower-class District Resident. I was trying to look into the missing children and decided to start from Lower-class since that was where it all began. I... Picked up faint traces of magic that led me into the Sewer, that's why I smell like this by the way, and made my way until I came upon a metal door with unknown figures behind it. I tried to ask them what they knew about the missing children and they rebuffed me, telling me I shouldn't go poking around too much! Whoever they were, they were suspicious as hell, and I think they're using the Sewers to go all around Karthel and kidnap children!" It was here thar Abel realized he was probably talking a mile a minute, slowing his roll and taking a deep breath. 'S-sorry, I think I got carried away..."

• Haha 1

*Jake answers the person talking to them* “I’m here to find work, I need to figure out how to get more coin in a place like this. No one really appreciates the fact I’m trying to help them. Do you know anyone one or…thing that might need help?” *He says this in a sorta desperate manner as he relaxes in his seat*

On 04/10/2021 at 10:41, Gardsorm said:

"Okay, look, I don't smell that bad anymore. It was worse earlier! Look, let me just take a sniff a- URK... N-nevermind, it's not gonna get much better, you're in a good place." Abel lamented, hanging his head along with his ears as the man addresses him and the man who had come with him. Nevertheless, once given the prompt to explain why he was here, he remembered the important business he arrived for.

"My name is Abel Chillswell, Lower-class District Resident. I was trying to look into the missing children and decided to start from Lower-class since that was where it all began. I... Picked up faint traces of magic that led me into the Sewer, that's why I smell like this by the way, and made my way until I came upon a metal door with unknown figures behind it. I tried to ask them what they knew about the missing children and they rebuffed me, telling me I shouldn't go poking around too much! Whoever they were, they were suspicious as hell, and I think they're using the Sewers to go all around Karthel and kidnap children!" It was here thar Abel realized he was probably talking a mile a minute, slowing his roll and taking a deep breath. 'S-sorry, I think I got carried away..."

22 hours ago, DarkGhost954 said:

*Jake answers the person talking to them* “I’m here to find work, I need to figure out how to get more coin in a place like this. No one really appreciates the fact I’m trying to help them. Do you know anyone one or…thing that might need help?” *He says this in a sorta desperate manner as he relaxes in his seat*

The man tries his best to follow the stream of words uttered from the smelly dude who just entered. Luckily, part of why he got his job was due to him being pretty fast in taking information, even if it is expressed rather fast. Surely, part of how to properly deal with all sorts of types as one of the clerks. While he probably not get every detail of it, the gist of the points were made."Oh, I see. Why didn't you notify the guards before? Anyway, looks like a good place to try and check out. If we send someone there right away, we will inform the guards and hopefully you can show them where this is?", he goes, before then looking towards the other one @DarkGhost954."And who are you, sir? We have plenty of jobs here, but you need to register with the guildmaster before you can be doing jobs for the guild", he lets him know.

*Jake smirks* “Who is this guildmaster? I need to speak with them as soon as possible. I’m in desperate need for coin. If you would be kind and show me the way that would be much appreciated.” *He bows as a show of respect but he really is trying to maintain his cool since he is almost out of coin and needs whatever he can get.*

45 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

The man tries his best to follow the stream of words uttered from the smelly dude who just entered. Luckily, part of why he got his job was due to him being pretty fast in taking information, even if it is expressed rather fast. Surely, part of how to properly deal with all sorts of types as one of the clerks. While he probably not get every detail of it, the gist of the points were made."Oh, I see. Why didn't you notify the guards before? Anyway, looks like a good place to try and check out. If we send someone there right away, we will inform the guards and hopefully you can show them where this is?"

"Eh? Couldn't find one after I got out of the Sewer, and I... Doubt any of them will follow up an investigation based on a guess." Abel sighed, scritching the back of his head. "I can find my way back through the Sewer well enough to lead them, but that door at the end is going to be a problem. Maybe you can tell the Guards in the other Districts to keep eyes on all the Sewers... Likely they can move between the districts through them." It was all conjecture at this point, but there wasn't much more he could do here. 

"Maybe I should go and wash up before anything happens, i'll be back by the sewers when I'm ready. Hey, you, good luck with getting a job, eh? Take it easy~" the elf waved to Jake, before whirling around to head off and wash up.

1 hour ago, DarkGhost954 said:

*Jake smirks* “Who is this guildmaster? I need to speak with them as soon as possible. I’m in desperate need for coin. If you would be kind and show me the way that would be much appreciated.” *He bows as a show of respect but he really is trying to maintain his cool since he is almost out of coin and needs whatever he can get.*

45 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

"Eh? Couldn't find one after I got out of the Sewer, and I... Doubt any of them will follow up an investigation based on a guess." Abel sighed, scritching the back of his head. "I can find my way back through the Sewer well enough to lead them, but that door at the end is going to be a problem. Maybe you can tell the Guards in the other Districts to keep eyes on all the Sewers... Likely they can move between the districts through them." It was all conjecture at this point, but there wasn't much more he could do here. 

"Maybe I should go and wash up before anything happens, i'll be back by the sewers when I'm ready. Hey, you, good luck with getting a job, eh? Take it easy~" the elf waved to Jake, before whirling around to head off and wash up.

"The problem is big enough to warrant help from guards and seeing how they are a bit low on clues, they probably will do what they can about it. I will talk to them, of course. I cannot exactly garantuee anything on their part, but I can find an adventurer from the guild to follow you and help", the clerk replies back to him, quite interested in also getting to the bottom of this rather concerning issue.

The man then turns to look at the other person."Sir, I have asked for your name twice now. Who are you? I cannot exactly guide you further if you are a complete stranger", he goes on, wondering if he did not hear him or what was up with that.

What neiter men knows, a stranger is looking upon the conversation from the shadows.....

Edited by JennyDK
Added a bit...
  • Like 1

There was a short stop, as Abel hopped on one foot once the attendant addressed him before he turned back around. "That would be great if you could try to get others in on it! I won't hold my breath (any more than I am already) incase they find other things to keep them busy, but if this works out... It'll feel good to feel like a hero for once since I came here to Karthel." the elf remarked. In all honesty it didn't even matter to him if there was a monetary reward involved, as long as those kids were back safe and sound. He could just look for some other work to make a living off of. "An adventurer? That'll be great! Wonder what..." He trailed off, before he shook a little and looked around. 

"I think I'm losing it. Thought I was being watched by something... Well, then again, I must smell like Rat Ass, so of course anyone would be looking at me." His ears drooped, casting his eyes around the Hall. There was so much life here... But would one of them really bother to help?

• Like 1

The clerk looks towards the patch of shadow near them both. He lets out a soft sigh and almost rolls his eyes."Miss Theraminas. You may as well step out and greet the newcomer. I am guessing you overheard our conversation", he speaks out towards the dark spot. Then a second later a young little girl steps out. She is clad in a fine and classy dress which more or less looks fit for someone who is of noble descent. She walks slowly, high heels clanking against the fine marbled floor."Greetings. You may call me Lady Theraminas von Xandria or Lady Xandria if you prefer. Am I right to assume you need some assistance in your current investigation?", she says in a dignified tone of voice. Unlike the clerk, she shows zero signs of being disgusted by the stench.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

The clerk looks towards the patch of shadow near them both. He lets out a soft sigh and almost rolls his eyes."Miss Theraminas. You may as well step out and greet the newcomer. I am guessing you overheard our conversation", he speaks out towards the dark spot. Then a second later a young little girl steps out. She is clad in a fine and classy dress which more or less looks fit for someone who is of noble descent. She walks slowly, high heels clanking against the fine marbled floor."Greetings. You may call me Lady Theraminas von Xandria or Lady Xandria if you prefer. Am I right to assume you need some assistance in your current investigation?", she says in a dignified tone of voice. Unlike the clerk, she shows zero signs of being disgusted by the stench.

"... Huh? Why are you talking at the wall? I mean, I know I have a penchant for talking to- Sweet heavens!" Abel stumbled back against the nearby wall when he saw a young lady emerge from darkness. This seemed to be a very common occurrence as no one else seemed perturbed in the slightest, making him feel like the sole fish out of water. The fact that she drew closer was passing strange for him as he held his hand up. "Wait, I stink! Just stay there, miss... Er, Lady Theraminas von Xandria? Wow, that's a pretty potent name... A-ah! I'm Abel Chillswell, it's good to meet you! Also, yes, a little bit of help with the investigation would be lovely."

Something was strange. So many others gagged and stood clear of him, but somehow she didn't seem... Repulsed? Something told him this little lady was made of stronger... Or more sinister, stuff. "Do you need time to get ready? I can take you to where I entered the Sewers last when you're ready." 

She seems to ignore the clerk for now as her focus is on the newcomer and non-guild member in this place."I would not have approached unless I was 100% ready for action. Looks like the incompetent guards are once more short of proper detective if you managed to find more than they have thus far. It is a pleasure to meet you mr. Chillswell. I must remark though...I cannot sense your odor, since you are wondering about my lack of response to your bodily state. Are you experienced with combat or anything else of the sort? How much may I need to assist you in this manner?", she asks rather bluntly, wanting to be properly prepared. She almost uses her umbrellas as a walking stick, but in the end is simply holding it against the floor for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyDK said:

She seems to ignore the clerk for now as her focus is on the newcomer and non-guild member in this place."I would not have approached unless I was 100% ready for action. Looks like the incompetent guards are once more short of proper detective if you managed to find more than they have thus far. It is a pleasure to meet you mr. Chillswell. I must remark though...I cannot sense your odor, since you are wondering about my lack of response to your bodily state. Are you experienced with combat or anything else of the sort? How much may I need to assist you in this manner?", she asks rather bluntly, wanting to be properly prepared. She almost uses her umbrellas as a walking stick, but in the end is simply holding it against the floor for now.

"Oh, that's great then!" Abel made no effort to comment on the state of the guards because... The elf felt she was absolutely right. Especially the ones who patrolled the Lower-class District, they seemed positively disinterested with the happenings. It was only once trouble occurred in the Upper-class District that they seemed ready to do anything. "I hope to find out if what was down there really is a lead on the missing children." He had a good feeling now... More than good, even. No matter what happened, he would follow this lead even if it killed him, and hopefully the Guards elsewhere would pick up the slack.

"... Wait, you can't? Oh thank the Gods, I won't question this miracle! In any event... Yes, actually, I do have combat experience and expertise in the conjuration and use of Ice magic. I'll do my best to protect you, Lady Xandria!" Abel saluted, looking to retrieve a lantern to avoid any mishaps on his visit to the sewers this time as opposed to last time. Little did she know what she was capable of...

On 11/10/2021 at 22:01, Gardsorm said:

"Oh, that's great then!" Abel made no effort to comment on the state of the guards because... The elf felt she was absolutely right. Especially the ones who patrolled the Lower-class District, they seemed positively disinterested with the happenings. It was only once trouble occurred in the Upper-class District that they seemed ready to do anything. "I hope to find out if what was down there really is a lead on the missing children." He had a good feeling now... More than good, even. No matter what happened, he would follow this lead even if it killed him, and hopefully the Guards elsewhere would pick up the slack.

"... Wait, you can't? Oh thank the Gods, I won't question this miracle! In any event... Yes, actually, I do have combat experience and expertise in the conjuration and use of Ice magic. I'll do my best to protect you, Lady Xandria!" Abel saluted, looking to retrieve a lantern to avoid any mishaps on his visit to the sewers this time as opposed to last time. Little did she know what she was capable of...

"Mhhm...that would be good indeed. At least it would be one less worry here in town. Nothing wrong with making some coin or fame on it though...", she says with a slight smirk on her as she comments on that part. She motions towards the large double doors leading outside, indicating that she is quite ready to leave already if he is."Ohh, lovely. I would hate to have to do the work of two people after all. I can assure you though...I am well prepared to fend for myself. Did you think I would be foolish to be a member and not be able to?", she asks, feeling a tiny bit insulted.