Naming a newborn child after a movie or anime

This just came to mind so I figured to post it what would you name your child if under sipulation that your significant other agreed or disagreed on a name from a animated movie or actual anime? Mine would be if I had a daughter I would if given the chance to name her myself Nausicaa vermilion ..... (Rather keep last name private) but I'm curious of what ideas of you all.

We have a singer here in Russia who named her daughter... "Simba". Yes, you heard it right. She named her daughter not "Nala", which is the name of a Female lion from Lion King... but "Simba", the Male lion in that cartoon. Still... Even if she would have named her daughter "Nala", I think that woman is retarded for doing something like that in the first place. Because she also legit explained why she did it - because she loves Lion King! Neither "Simba", nor "Nala" are in any way Russian or Slavic names. And both of those are absolutely out of place next to a very much Slavic family name that the woman in question has (same as the child, duh).

That's absolutely insane and not normal. Same as in case with your suggestion of naming a real person after any other fictional character. Especially with a name that is not even close to your native culture. Or even worse, if the name is also fictional and doesn't appear in any culture either. Remember - your child will have to live with YOUR decision of naming them something abnormal just for the fun of it or to flex at people. Or something. I don't get why would anyone do that in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/11/2021 at 04:35, ThatLewdCat said:

We have a singer here in Russia who named her daughter... "Simba". Yes, you heard it right. She named her daughter not "Nala", which is the name of a Female lion from Lion King... but "Simba", the Male lion in that cartoon. Still... Even if she would have named her daughter "Nala", I think that woman is retarded for doing something like that in the first place. Because she also legit explained why she did it - because she loves Lion King! Neither "Simba", nor "Nala" are in any way Russian or Slavic names. And both of those are absolutely out of place next to a very much Slavic family name that the woman in question has (same as the child, duh).

That's absolutely insane and not normal. Same as in case with your suggestion of naming a real person after any other fictional character. Especially with a name that is not even close to your native culture. Or even worse, if the name is also fictional and doesn't appear in any culture either. Remember - your child will have to live with YOUR decision of naming them something abnormal just for the fun of it or to flex at people. Or something. I don't get why would anyone do that in the first place.

My actual name is not normal Elric comes from the book series Elric of melnibone so in turn it is uncommon for people to question my name though I'll admit I rather have a uncommon name to a common one like Chris Samuel tim etc thus why I posted this thread 

7 hours ago, Zegrin said:

My actual name is not normal Elric comes from the book series Elric of melnibone so in turn it is uncommon for people to question my name though I'll admit I rather have a uncommon name to a common one like Chris Samuel tim etc thus why I posted this thread 

Uncommon/rare name is one thing. A name that still does happen to appear in our world. Maybe in different cultures/nations/countries than the person is actually from, ok, but still. That I can understand if someone wants their child to seem unique based on the name. Even tho it might lead to later problems and bulliying due to such unique name, but meh.

But when we're talking naming someone "Naruto", "Simba", "Ironman", "Kal-El" or whatever? Now that's already bullshit, in my opinion. That's all I'm saying.

<rant>

I mean... ultimately the name you give your child has to stay with them the rest of their life, not just when you can show them off to your friends and brag about naming them Apple, Gravity, Pilot Inspektor, Kal-El, Lazer, or whatever your drug-addled mind thinks is a good name for a child.

Yes, a name is meant to be your unique identifier. No, we don't need any more kids named Michael, Jessica, Christopher, Ashley, Matthew, Brittany, Joshua, or Amanda. But we also don't need kids named Gravy or Purple Nurple or whatever jackassery parents are getting up to these days. Give your kid a name that's not in the top 100 names for the last decade. But don't label them an outcast because you wanted to name them Batman or She-Ra. 

Now if that kid grows up and wants to change their name to a made up symbol like Prince or Pi*r2 because they dig math and circles, more power to them. Just don't stick them with something weird because you wanted to be unique. They have to put that shit on a resume and try to get a job some day, for crying out loud. Unless you're Oprah or Rihanna, in which case your kid probably will never need a job because they'll just live off your billions and get recording contracts, movie deals, and book deals thrown at them just for being your offspring. If you're stupid rich, you can name your kid Assmuncher Fucknuts and they'll be just fine. They'll never have to interact with the masses, anyway.

But if you're a regular person whose kid will need to go to public school and get a job, do them a favor and give them a normal name.

</rant>

I think the above can be easily resolved by just giving the child a 'normal' middle name.

Personally, I'll take a kid being named Zuko any day over another kayden, brayden, fayden, trandor, mackayleigh, zuile nonsense that white Americans contrive to make 'new' names these days.

Fuurthermore, it's hardly like naming your child after something from an animated source would mean giving them a weird name to begin with. Zelda Ray Williams does fine being named after Princess Zelda for example.

Ultimately as long as you're naming your child after something with meaning to you that isn't taken for a joke (like for example 'pickle rick') then it's really fine.

Sincerely, someone who has had to live 3 decades with hardly anyone around him knowing how to pronounce 'Josiah' right the first time. Also who genuinely hopes that no one born today will ever have to fill out a job application because seriously fuck capitalism and eat the rich already.

• 3 months later...

I'd probably name my child something related to nature, not any anime. Or, make up a name from a show I really like. You know what? Fuck it, I'll name my child Heisenberg if its a boy and Skylar of its a girl. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm kidding. On a serious note: I'd probably name a baby boy Aydan (Moon) or Aeden (Little Fire) and a baby girl Elana(bright shine), or maybe the full idea which is Elanor(Star sun). But, Elan could also be good as it means: (oak tree)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived