WorldBuilding OOC

@Busterbugs I'm more than happy to help, I even have a few kingdoms from my OC World that we could incorperate into this if you'd like.

In doing so there are two deities that I'd want to bring into the world, Atlanta and Nymera. In my world I have four pantheons that all serve their own roles, if we'd like to bring them all in I'd be more than willing to take some time to explain them all. But for sake of explaining these two nations I'll start with these two.

So that said, Atlanta is my crusader goddess, she's Lawful Good and is more or less the good god you really don't want to see take an interest in the world. She is the goddess of purity, and will stop at nothing to ensure that evil has no foot hold in her domain. That entails killing any who she sees as impure and allowing her flock to spread over the world to bring order. 

The Amedian Kingdom are her flock. They are a rigid machine of progress seeks to convert the world to Atalanta's Grace. A nation of warrior Zealots that are extremely bigoted seeing most races as impure abominations that need wiped out. The only races not seen with such disdain are high elves and humans in their society. Other races that are brought up as 'redeemed' are tolerated, though very much segregated from much of society. The redeemed are those who are taken as children in war by Amedia, they are then raised monasteries where they are more or less brainwashed into serving the kingdom.

They despise many, but are at war with Nymeria. Nymeria worships Nymera (I know creative, sue me). Nymeria is an empire south of Amedia, built up of many smaller kingdoms who all share ties to Bidsia, which is now the capital of the empire.

Nymeria is a land of war, built on the ashes of what was once a Amedian stronghold in the wildlands Bidsia rose up from what was once a slave ridden land. At that time Amedia felt that any of the 'lesser races' any who were not human or elf, could be treated as if they were cattle. So with that in mind they attempted to do so, a harbor city brought to being, meant to be a foothold in Sha'hara. For a few decades it prospered, Amedia began to beat back the native gnolls, lizardfolk and orc tribes. That was until Nymera arrived, the hero goddess was one of many slaves taken, an Aasimir who refused to take this treatment lying down.

She began fighting back, freeing slaves and convincing the tribes to follow her, to push back the Amedian forces and reclaim the lands they once held dominion over. So the legend goes of the founding of Nymeria. The tribes grew powerful working together, to the north Kargatha, gnoll mauraders, began to pick off any who dared cross into Sha'hara. To their northeast The kingdom of Moragian Orcs stands watch, their shock troopers standing ready and waiting.

To the south of the two, the kingdom of Genasian Lizardfolk patrol the empire, their scouts welcomed in all corners of the empire. To their east the traditionalist Yenogian undead stand watch, spreading the gospel of Nymera and keeping Nymeria true to the old ways.

Stretching along the Thantian orc border to the east are the Knifian Hobgoblins, vampires, dark elves, and shadowborn (Custom race, mix of dark elf and vampire. Very long story, again don't mind telling but kinda unnecessary. and to the very south, butting up against the Wathani Mountain ranges are the Quolothian Dragons, said to be decendent from Quoloth himself who was Nymira's right hand in the war against the Amedian invaders.

Dead center in the middle of all those kingdoms is Bidsia, the center of the empire. Spanning across the widest track of land, it is were all these smaller kingdoms diverged from. Bidsia is a mixing pot. It is not evil, though many of it's denizens are quite brutal. It is home to one and all, good and evil. So long as you obey the laws and don't cause trouble all are welcome here. Orcs, humans, undead (typically awakened skeletons.), gnolls, and lizardfolk are the most common races though. Bidsia is known for it's trade, being home to some of the best enchanters, craftsmen, and spell casters in the world, there is little you cannot find in Bidsia. In addtion to this fact, it's being on the coastline of Shahara allows for nearly anything not found here to be imported in by it's many allies.

Nymera is a goddess of war, and her people follow in her foot steps. While they stand united against any foe who would seek to lay claim to land in Sha'hara, they are not opposed to battling one another and skirmishes are common among them. It is rare to not find them engaged in a conflict of some kind in worship to their deity, be it as mercenaries, in service to their respective kingdoms, or in protection of their empire.

Far from them I also have the Elorian enclaves where many ancient elven kingdoms reside. Now to explain them I need to explain a few more gods. So in my world, elves are decedent from vampires. The idea being that elves feed off of the essence of nature in various ways. Wood elves feed off of nature, high elves feed off of knowledge, dark elves feed off of of pain. Mind you they don't need much to sustain themselves as they are living unlike their vampiric counterparts, but that's kinda the mind set on why. 

So with that in mind vampires started in the ancient days with a vampire known as Deerdra, who later would ascend to become a lawful evil goddess of assassination, politics, and known as the mother of Vampires. He daughter Crucia becoming the goddess of murder and torture often being worshiped by vampires as well.

Then came Trea, who at the time went by a different name. One of the first vampires to turn, she eventually grew tired of unlife and strove to earn the favor of Bahest, god of the wilds. In time she not only won his favor but his heart. He granted her the chance to live again, turning her into the first wood elf. She in turn, once she ascended as his wife, turned her sired vampires, any who were willing, into elves.

In time they seperated into the sub species known today. The Elorian Enclaves are where many of these kingdoms roam, the city of Traeshia being home to all elves. It is ruled by a council of four, one to represent the high elves, one to for the wood elves, another for the dark elves, one for the bahestians (Who are beast folk, also a long story, actually do have written down though I'll link them in the race ooc part though.) The Elorian enclaves mostly stick to their own inner politics, however can be swayed to protect one another if the threat if dire enough.

That's all that I can think off the top of my head from my world. But if you'd like to include them it would give some conflict and places for folks to come from. If you have any questions, or things that you'd like to change for this setting let me know.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow, you did a very well thought and detailed description. Way better then anything I thought out. My ideas was basically the Giana was a land divided in half, with a main Kingdom ruling each side. But at first the Races where divided up across the lands, each having small kingdoms of their own.  Then a joint court of a single ruler from the Elves, Humans and Dragons, that considered themselves the only truly civilized and Good races of the world, joined together in the North part of Giana, which was know for its fertile lands and rich resources. They built a massive, flourishing capital city in the north most center of Giana, that  had great inventions and bountiful farmlands. Over the years more smaller human, elf and dragon kingdoms moved to or were forced to join under the three Rulers, till they were all part of them.

The other three other major races, the Vampires, Demons and Orcs, were Considered evil and barbaric by the Northern Rulers and the Humans, elves and Dragons tried to wipe out the three races while they lived separately. Realizing they were going be overwhelmed by the combined force of the North’s military one by one, the races of the South joined together and fought back. The war dragged on for many years, till both sides agreed to stop fighting, as long as a border was made and the other side wouldn’t cross it, except for trade or meetings. The races separated and for years their was peace, if some unease. But as time passed the fear of war faded and both sides started to blur the lines between the Kingdoms. 

As for the other races of the world that weren’t as abundant, like Dwarves, Goblins and Beast Folk, they settled in on which side of the border was most accepting of them. Dwarves lived with the North Kingdom, which valued their ability to mine and refine metals and gems, while Goblins and Beast folk formed tribes in the South Kingdom

My idea is much simpler then yours, which might work better for the club since there would be only two main cities to do, with the small tribes and wilds outside them, which would be easier to fit into the limited spaces for topics in the club. But, If we could combine our ideas into one, I think it would come out incredible, as your detailed information for the world is amazing. What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading through you're post. So then how about this then:

The events of northern and southern Giana evolve as you describe, we'll say to the north eastern reaches away from Sha'hara. Perhaps just a kingdom away we'll say from the Amedian empire. They have known of their neighbors for quite some time, even doing buisness with Bidsia quite regularly. It could be that Giana has maintained fairly good terms with their distant neighbors for some time now.

Unrest is growing as their neighbors to their west lose their war with Amedia. Reports flood in of the Zealous Amedian forces lands growing ever closer to Giana's borders, neither side safe truly safe from Amedia.

Looking to Nymeria they find only offers for mercenary companies, no real aid coming from their trade partners Giana's rulers will be forced to look inwards to defeat the rising tide of foes from the west.

After all I figure Nymeria is very similar to Giana, even if more united in a sense. This way we can keep it centrilized on what you had planned, but more use Nymeria and Amedia as a source of conflict.

As far as Eloria is concerned, we can toss that where ever as a piece to be used later on if we wish. Maybe Giana grows desperate for allies and seeks aid?

• Like 1

The sounds like it could work. So, just so I understand this correctly, Giana is the main country in world and is divided roughly in half, with the Humans, Elves and Dragons ruling the North from their main city and Demons, Vampires and Orcs rule the South part of Giana.

The Amedian empire is in a country to the West of Giana and is moving closer to them, but still a somewhat distant threat and Nymeria is a country to the east of Giana that is more neutral. Is that right and if it is not, I apologize. 

That would be it. Though you forgot about Eloria, it would be another neutral party. When I make up the map, I can add in some other countries as well, perhaps some contested territory and 1-3 misc kingdoms besides the ones we mentioned? Perhaps just have the extra ones be human and dwarven? The last 'kingdom' being contested land.

Also as far as the map goes, I was thinking of a two continent set up, as far as the known world. So off to the side we're mainly concerned with being Giana, Nymeria, and Amedia and perhaps an orc nation (The one that's all but wiped out by Amedia) then on the other continent known as "the new world" being the humans, dwarves, and contested territory?

We could also go the route that maybe Nymeria is trying to push Giana into joining the empire? Perhaps dangling aid in that fashion too.

• Like 1

So with all that in mind, here's what I have so far for a Biome map.

large.1459311280_Solum2022-02-15-18-11.p

The yellowish green is grasslands, the green near it is temperate forests, the forest green next to that are temperate rainforests, and the off green by some of the coasts are wetlands. The really dark brown greens are taigas.

Let me know if this works for you biome wise and what you think about adding in those extra kingdoms. Once you let me know I'll set up a kingdom map reflecting what we've talked about.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Venari99 said:

That would be it. Though you forgot about Eloria, it would be another neutral party. When I make up the map, I can add in some other countries as well, perhaps some contested territory and 1-3 misc kingdoms besides the ones we mentioned? Perhaps just have the extra ones be human and dwarven? The last 'kingdom' being contested land.

Also as far as the map goes, I was thinking of a two continent set up, as far as the known world. So off to the side we're mainly concerned with being Giana, Nymeria, and Amedia and perhaps an orc nation (The one that's all but wiped out by Amedia) then on the other continent known as "the new world" being the humans, dwarves, and contested territory?

We could also go the route that maybe Nymeria is trying to push Giana into joining the empire? Perhaps dangling aid in that fashion too.

That sounds good. I like the idea of having a new continent that is fairly new. I also like the idea of several smaller kingdoms in Giana, but would like to have two main ones, the elf, human and Dragon one in the North of Giana and the Vampire, Demon and Orc one in the South of Giana. Their can be a few small Dwarf and human kingdoms in North Giana, that are trying to hold out on their own, but are slowly being pressured into joining the main kingdom. In the south, besides the main Kingdom, their is a few Small towns outside the main kingdom and tribes of nomadic BeastMen and Goblins. 

I had the idea of focusing on Giana to start, as the people that wake up in this world spawn on the border between the North and South. We fill in more of the world as are characters explore. But we do need a basic outline of the land.

18 hours ago, Venari99 said:

So with all that in mind, here's what I have so far for a Biome map.

large.1459311280_Solum2022-02-15-18-11.p

The yellowish green is grasslands, the green near it is temperate forests, the forest green next to that are temperate rainforests, and the off green by some of the coasts are wetlands. The really dark brown greens are taigas.

Let me know if this works for you biome wise and what you think about adding in those extra kingdoms. Once you let me know I'll set up a kingdom map reflecting what we've talked about.

I like idea for the map, but I would like Giana to have a pretty diverse set of biomes, as our characters will mostly be in that country.

• Like 1

Fair Enough. I can shift it around some of that's the case, cool off the equator some and maybe add in a few mountain ranges/ deserts. That should help fix up the diversity.

Sounds awesome. Now for the main two kingdoms of Giana, the North one for the Elves, Humans and Dragons and the Demon, Vampire and Orc one in the South, what should they be called? And we talked about earlier when this was a private role play for the places to have some real world influences. So I was thinking that the North city could be a mix of SteamPunk, thanks to humans and Dwarfs and Plus something added because of the Elves and Dragons, but I’m not sure what. And the South city, I was thinking it could have a Old time Japanese look to it, thanks to the Demons, plus a gothic hint to because of the Vampires. What does everyone( @BladeRunner, @Lady_Xien, @Kitsuyumia, @Venari99) think?

• Like 1

Hmm I had thought that the kingdoms themselves were simply Northern and Southern Giana, but I suppose Giana is simply the region then?

Well if you're going steampunk for the northern half, maybe as far as incorporating the dragons in you go with a very renaissance feel? It's a place of wonder, where experimentation is encouraged, perhaps it boasts some of the greatest colleges run by some of the older elves? As far as the dragons tying in all I can think is military, nobility, or tutors for some at said college.

As far as the southern half, I like the Japanese style idea. Maybe with the orcs taking more of a samurai code of honor with the vampires acting as eternal rulers, below only their demon lord? We could even go a step forward in this direction and make it canon that vampires are a lesser form of demons, perhaps true elders literally becoming a blood fiend of sorts? @Busterbugs

• Like 2

On 17/02/2022 at 12:20, Venari99 said:

Hmm I had thought that the kingdoms themselves were simply Northern and Southern Giana, but I suppose Giana is simply the region then?

Well if you're going steampunk for the northern half, maybe as far as incorporating the dragons in you go with a very renaissance feel? It's a place of wonder, where experimentation is encouraged, perhaps it boasts some of the greatest colleges run by some of the older elves? As far as the dragons tying in all I can think is military, nobility, or tutors for some at said college.

As far as the southern half, I like the Japanese style idea. Maybe with the orcs taking more of a samurai code of honor with the vampires acting as eternal rulers, below only their demon lord? We could even go a step forward in this direction and make it canon that vampires are a lesser form of demons, perhaps true elders literally becoming a blood fiend of sorts? @Busterbugs

I was thinking that Giana was just the region and the North and South Kingdom would have a name of their own. I like the idea of elves being in charge of higher education and Dragons focusing on the Military. 

I like that idea for vampires to. Maybe they are a sub race of Succubus and Incubus, that feed on blood instead of Sexual energy, but view themselves as separate from other demons. 

2 minutes ago, Busterbugs said:

I was thinking that Giana was just the region and the North and South Kingdom would have a name of their own. I like the idea of elves being in charge of higher education and Dragons focusing on the Military. 

I like that idea for vampires to. Maybe they are a sub race of Succubus and Incubus, that feed on blood instead of Sexual energy, but view themselves as separate from other demons. 

That could work for the vampires, perhaps their elders on par with demon lords, but they refuse the title, maybe even a bit of rivalry going on there? A bit of that whole, "Oh yes I'm cruel, but at least I'm not a savage like those demons." Sort of hoity toity feelings towards one another, with maybe vampires tending to be more political and demons more might makes right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Venari99 said:

That could work for the vampires, perhaps their elders on par with demon lords, but they refuse the title, maybe even a bit of rivalry going on there? A bit of that whole, "Oh yes I'm cruel, but at least I'm not a savage like those demons." Sort of hoity toity feelings towards one another, with maybe vampires tending to be more political and demons more might makes right?

That sounds like a great dynamic for the two races. 

I'll be on later at some point to do stuff. 

Now for the main two kingdoms of Giana, the North one for the Elves, Humans and Dragons // So I was thinking that the North city could be a mix of SteamPunk, thanks to humans and Dwarfs and Plus something added because of the Elves and Dragons, but I’m not sure what.

If you're gunning for a Steampunk vibe with this with the Dwarves, my suggestion is having Dragons be a subrace (if they're playable) as Draconians ie. Dragon Lance, have the kingdom(s) divided in sections- and yes, while Elves, Humans, Dwarves and "Dragons" are allied have them with their own territories; this would allow for autonomy amongst the groups, and even then, at the same time you could have them rely on one another for resources, troops, etc. etc. That said, I think political influences could be a thing: Dwarves are naturally greedy (maybe not in this world) and have unwavering pride which conflicts against the Dragon's dominant and superior nature. I think maybe civil to nation wars between Humans and Elves make for a shaky alliance, but setting aside most differences after an elongated stalemate would allow them to work hand in hand. Not saying these have to be options, but I'm just throwing these out there. 

As far as designs for races go of settlements, have them have a unique style, Dwarves and Humans have more Steampunk styles of buildings: the former is more heavy on machinery whilst the latter is more dependant on natural shiz (stonework, masonry, etc.). Elves could utilize unique metal-infused stone for their structures, as well as rare-metals (say Titanite, Moonstone, bismuth-type material) for general equipment and overall work. I honestly think dragons would generally use stoneworks for buildings and whatever else, maybe even work with Dwarves (if they absolutely have to) for mining operations. 

Also, I think Goblins and Hobgoblins should be part of the Southern regions sharing with the Vampire, Orc, and whatever else. Generally you could have a variety of nomadic tribes of Hobgoblins, more or less traversing the Great Swamps of [insert name] and keep to themselves, I can see them just being seekers of magic. While the Goblins are more like rats but Dwarves, they inhabit the underground's, can make up a bolster of various armies, and inhabit most the land whilst being widespread and easy to work with (due to their greed). 

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

I'll be on later at some point to do stuff. 

Now for the main two kingdoms of Giana, the North one for the Elves, Humans and Dragons // So I was thinking that the North city could be a mix of SteamPunk, thanks to humans and Dwarfs and Plus something added because of the Elves and Dragons, but I’m not sure what.

If you're gunning for a Steampunk vibe with this with the Dwarves, my suggestion is having Dragons be a subrace (if they're playable) as Draconians ie. Dragon Lance, have the kingdom(s) divided in sections- and yes, while Elves, Humans, Dwarves and "Dragons" are allied have them with their own territories; this would allow for autonomy amongst the groups, and even then, at the same time you could have them rely on one another for resources, troops, etc. etc. That said, I think political influences could be a thing: Dwarves are naturally greedy (maybe not in this world) and have unwavering pride which conflicts against the Dragon's dominant and superior nature. I think maybe civil to nation wars between Humans and Elves make for a shaky alliance, but setting aside most differences after an elongated stalemate would allow them to work hand in hand. Not saying these have to be options, but I'm just throwing these out there. 

As far as designs for races go of settlements, have them have a unique style, Dwarves and Humans have more Steampunk styles of buildings: the former is more heavy on machinery whilst the latter is more dependant on natural shiz (stonework, masonry, etc.). Elves could utilize unique metal-infused stone for their structures, as well as rare-metals (say Titanite, Moonstone, bismuth-type material) for general equipment and overall work. I honestly think dragons would generally use stoneworks for buildings and whatever else, maybe even work with Dwarves (if they absolutely have to) for mining operations. 

Also, I think Goblins and Hobgoblins should be part of the Southern regions sharing with the Vampire, Orc, and whatever else. Generally you could have a variety of nomadic tribes of Hobgoblins, more or less traversing the Great Swamps of [insert name] and keep to themselves, I can see them just being seekers of magic. While the Goblins are more like rats but Dwarves, they inhabit the underground's, can make up a bolster of various armies, and inhabit most the land whilst being widespread and easy to work with (due to their greed). 

I like those ideas. Also since this story starts out with a group of people waking up in a new world, where do you think they should appear in the world at? I was thinking in the very center of Giana. That way they have a choice to go to the North or South if they want to.

19 minutes ago, Busterbugs said:

I like those ideas. Also since this story starts out with a group of people waking up in a new world, where do you think they should appear in the world at? I was thinking in the very center of Giana. That way they have a choice to go to the North or South if they want to.

They don't have to awaken together? It could be they all awaken in different areas more related to what they are.

But if you specifically want them to wake up together it could be the center yeah. Maybe there's some sort of rift, and that that's where everyone comes in from? Maybe some sort of summoning magic gone wrong, kinda?

• Like 1

They don't have to awaken together? It could be they all awaken in different areas more related to what they are.

But if you specifically want them to wake up together it could be the center yeah. Maybe there's some sort of rift, and that that's where everyone comes in from? Maybe some sort of summoning magic gone wrong, kinda?

They could wake up in different locations, maybe some people waking up next to the each other if the want to. That’s probably a better idea. As for why people get transferred to this world, I was thinking that a bored god or of the fantasy world was making rifts to this world for people on earth, the two worlds sharing the same place, but in different dimensions. 

Or it could be a summoning gone wrong, maybe a cult tried to summon a being from the past and caused rifts that pulled people from earth.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Busterbugs said:

They could wake up in different locations, maybe some people waking up next to the each other if the want to. That’s probably a better idea. As for why people get transferred to this world, I was thinking that a bored god or of the fantasy world was making rifts to this world for people on earth, the two worlds sharing the same place, but in different dimensions. 

Or it could be a summoning gone wrong, maybe a cult tried to summon a being from the past and caused rifts that pulled people from earth.

Maybe a bit of both? Maybe there is a rift that people come through, but said god thought that was a great idea and started fucking with people?

I have one in my oc universe, Nexos the god of chaos, magic, foresight, and games. What your describing is right up his alley, he's more of an overgod that really only does things that entertain him. So that said, it could be he got tired of the two worlds growing stagnant and decided to start pulling people from a 'modern' plane without magic, to this plane? I'll try and sit down and get a brief summary of all of them on paper for you guys. Just a matter of finding the free time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Venari99 said:

Maybe a bit of both? Maybe there is a rift that people come through, but said god thought that was a great idea and started fucking with people?

I have one in my oc universe, Nexos the god of chaos, magic, foresight, and games. What your describing is right up his alley, he's more of an overgod that really only does things that entertain him. So that said, it could be he got tired of the two worlds growing stagnant and decided to start pulling people from a 'modern' plane without magic, to this plane? I'll try and sit down and get a brief summary of all of them on paper for you guys. Just a matter of finding the free time.

That sounds like a great idea. I realize we probably need to decide the gods of this world to and if we want to people to play as them to. 

7 hours ago, Busterbugs said:

That sounds like a great idea. I realize we probably need to decide the gods of this world to and if we want to people to play as them to. 

Totally up to you if you want someone to play them, but for the most part I think they can play a backseat role unless we decide on a world event.

If you'd like I don't mind playing the pantheon I made for when we do decide on things, if you decide you like them. But probably only relevant for major events, otherwise things could get kinda unbalanced real quick.

Tomorrow when I get home I need to hammer out a few characters, so I'll probably take a day to get that map fixed up, and then to get them down on paper so that you can see them. That or we could just keep it simple and have two gods that we decide on. Totally up to you, but I'ma work on them either way simply for sake of I e been meaning to for a while.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Venari99 said:

Totally up to you if you want someone to play them, but for the most part I think they can play a backseat role unless we decide on a world event.

If you'd like I don't mind playing the pantheon I made for when we do decide on things, if you decide you like them. But probably only relevant for major events, otherwise things could get kinda unbalanced real quick.

Tomorrow when I get home I need to hammer out a few characters, so I'll probably take a day to get that map fixed up, and then to get them down on paper so that you can see them. That or we could just keep it simple and have two gods that we decide on. Totally up to you, but I'ma work on them either way simply for sake of I e been meaning to for a while.

Maybe the gods in this story are kinda like GameMasters for this world. They can’t manipulate people in the world directly, but they can cause events in the world from time to time based on what god they are, just to see how it effects the world.