Pine Heath: Harbor

spacer.png

The harbor, or what is known as "Westport" is an extension of Pine Heath,  acting as a docks for ships from across the massive lakes they have to trek; roads were not built between certain areas, so fishermanand suppliers tend to use boats to help deliver shipments versus going through dense forests. Westport, while part of PH, is considered its own town. 

It was rumored that a small wolf pack resides here, however they have yet to present themselves as friend or foe to the Midnight Pack. Then again, rumors are rumors. 

• 2 months later...

Dohalim would arrive on a ship blinking a bit as he looked around.... although the first thing that hit him was the cold... He wasn't dressed for this weather. He would get off the boat and make his way into town to find a place to rest and get a change of clothes. He was here as he heard about vampires being here... the ones in egypt had grown rather boring for him to hunt so he was curious what new bloodsuckers might be able to do. He had been hunting vampires all his life and he didn't plan to change his ways... rather he sought to kill any vampire he met... he even had the tools to do so although he kept such tools hidden away... the only thing was a silver amulet his mother had given him when he was young.... He didn't use it on vampires though... no why would he stain his mothers gift with blood.

Clawhammer looked even smaller then her true size, dressed as she was in baggy blue jeans, rolled at the cuff to fit, and faded green jacket, army surplus, originally destined for some poor recruit clearly much larger then her. She stared out over the water watching the ships come in, hands in pocket to ward off the bitter cold and falling snow. She had a family here, one she didn't have back home. In many ways Pine Harbor reminded her of Portland, accept for the subtle differences. It was an uncanny simulacrum. The harbor was packed with people, as it always was. Mostly, local fisherman and oil men rotating out from their frozen rigs even farther north. There were also the familiar faces of the Native Alaskans, whose families hunted these lands and fished these waters long before the Russians had crossed the Bering Straight but that their other neighbors pretended not to see. More people unloaded from the ships. These were not the tourists, the old people snapping pictures on their iPhones. These were immigrants, a mix of people hailing from China, Korea and Samoa, chasing the promise of a steady pay check, a future for their families. People farther away from home then her, farther away then she could imagine.

Here eyes fell on a person, strange even by the usual diverse collection of humanity moving about the harbor. She makes him as being from the Middle East or North Africa, though she couldn't place where more exactly then that. What she could place, is that look, of someone who doesn't have a place to go, who didn't belong. Someone not expecting a friendly voice or warm embrace waiting at shore. She felt that in her bones. Besides, helping lost sheep is what she had always done.

Fading into the crowd, weaving through the masses with ease, she approached Dohalim

"Hey there. Excuse me. Are you lost?" Sam called out, her voice confident, strong with a low class roughness that seems at odds with the tiny package it was coming from

Edited by DoctoroMindbender
Fem name just doesn't fit character's backstory. Replaced it with a gender neutral one.

He was unaware someone had specifically laid their eyes on him. He didn't care even if someone did find it weird he was here... he was coming from egypt after all. He blinked in surprise as someone had called out unaware initially she was speaking to him... but looking so out of place he did look around for whoever called out. However seeing her approach him he stopped and turned towards her clutching his amulet for a moment before hiding it in his shirt... he knew no one here... hell his trip here may well have been wasted even. He wasn't about to ask random individuals to show him their pearly whites to identify a vampire... normally he played prey for a while to lure a vampire.... although noting her features he swallowed a bit.

"Were you the one calling out ? and was it directed towards me?" he asked moving closer to her so he could hear her better. If she was the one who had called out he was curious why she had done so. He was used to being left alone in his travels. He was unaware he was speaking to a wolf either...however he had no quarrel with wolves... it was just the vampires he was after however he was not going to reveal that. He never did. He would then shiver a bit as the cold was starting to get to him "Do you know some place I can warm up and put on a change of clothes? the ship was warm...but god its freezing out here..." he said beginning to rube his forearms to heat them up a bit 

This man was odd, but that didn't strike Clawhammer as particularly noteworthy. Growing up on the streets she had met more then her share of odd men. Truth is, she was odder the most of them and she knew it. Yet thanks to the help of those odd men she had survived, and she was thriving. The least she could do was pay it forward.

While her clothes didn't provide much protection from the bitter cold, her wolf blood did, and lost in a moment of  thought the fact that humans didn't have such natural resistance to the elements slipped her mind. His question reminded her, and she decided it was probably best to get out of the long twilight of the far northern winter. "Yeah," Sam said matter-of-factly, "There's a diner right across the way. Coffee's shit, but it's hot and cheap. Come on." She led the way through the crowd, her head down to shield her eyes from the blustering wind and her bare hands crammed into her pockets for warmth. "You don't look like a crabber or roughneck. What brings you to Pine Heath?"

Dolahim would watch the girl a bit curiously examining her features a little bit wondering how she wasn't that cold...concerning...However he did not let that deter him from interacting with her. When she spoke he would nod his head as she spoke and soon enough he began to follow her "I could use a good meal...to but I don't know how that will help me with a place to change" he said as he followed letting her lead him through the crowd although she spoke to him again and he would smile a bit now "Honestly if I knew it was going to be so damn cold I wouldn't have stopped by... but truth be told I am traveling.... staying places for a while then moving onto the next" he said now... He had decided to use travelling as his excuse for showing up anywhere. "I wonder what the food is like here...each place I have visited had so many different foods... all new flavors to enjoy" he said chuckling a bit 

Clawhammer found the statement odd. She understood that most people were more picky then her, not everyone was built to change behind a dumpster, but the answer also seemed so obvious to her.  "The restroom ain't much, but it's big enough and the door locks for privacy. If you need new clothes you'll need to head into town" Clawhammer shrugged. She nodded along to Dolahim's answer to her question, asking again in a polite but blunt informal tone. "So you planning to stay a while, or are you just passing through?" she asked, though she considered the question rhetorical. Pine Heath wasn't a place a people stayed.

She entered through the front doors of the small restaurant. It was the typical dingy 24-hour greasy spoon found near every bus stop, every train depot, and on abandoned main street in America. A row of stools, far too many patched with electrical tape, where crowded around a bar counter packed high with ancient condiment dispensers, dented napkin holders and the requisite industrial coffee machine that had to be flown in by bush pilot back when the place was built in '59. There was also a row of booths, with hard plastic bench seats, the tables permanently marred with water rings, crammed next to frost covered windows. Separating them, a single narrow aisle way. The lone waitress, a chubby woman in her 50's with fingers yellowed from nicotine, invited the pair in "Y'all have a seat anywhere."

Clawhammer didn't move, differing to the newcomer in choice of seat. She liked to think she could judge a man by where he sat in the diner.

Dolahim nodded his heas as she spoke about changing in the bathroom "Good to know its a private restroom" he said now as he followed her and he would smile "Clothes are not an issue I have brought plenty...for now I have no intentions on getting new clothes" he said stretching a bit before hearing her next question and he would chuckle a bit "Both.... I plan on staying until I grow tired of the sights and scenery here then passing onto the next place." he said now soon getting curious himself "How about you? you a resident here or just passing by yourself?.... you seem like you know the place so I would think you live here" he said now 

He would follow her in grimacing a bit at the state of the restaurant. He would note the state of the chairs and decided the plastic chairs would be better plus.... in booths he could more easily have direct communication with her rather than look at her side. "Lets go to the booth... that way we can talk right to eachother without really having to turn our heads" he said smiling "But let me go get changed first" he said moving to the bathroom stepping inside. He would strip out of his clothes before putting on warmer clothes... while they were not what he normally would wear he did make sure they were to remind him of home. Once changed he would stuff his original outfit in his bag before stepping out and going to the booth wherever she had gone. "So now... where were we?" he asked her now

"Yep. I'm local. Live just outside of town. I like to come down to the docks for the sea air." she answered.

Left to choose she considered her options. This is her home, she is comfortable here - safe. She doesn't need to consider a seat where she can hide unseen for the cops or nosy locals, nor did she need to worry about making a quick escape, but old habits die hard. She sat in the booth closest to the bathroom, facing the dining area, granting her a full view of the restaurant. It also had the virtue of being the farthest away from the draft blowing in every time someone opened the door. Those same habits drove her to shove a handful of sugar packets into the safety of her coat while no one was looking. She doesn't need them, not now that she has the pack to fall back on, but you never know. But they also drove her to wonder about this stranger. Something about his story just seems off. That was fine with her though. This was a place that didn't have many surprises, so the mystery was a nice change of pace.

Clawhammer let him get seated, before asking "So what sights do you hope to find here? You're clearly not a tourist here on a cruise package. And you're not packing nearly enough gear to go into the back country. Especially, in weather that'll freeze the balls of a grizzly."

Before he could answer, the waitress crosses from the small other side of the small dining room, asking "Y'all ready to order, or do you need another minute?"

He would see that she sat closest to the bathroom. He would look around a bit more before getting seated and he would raise an eyebrow as she questioned him and he would only smile "Well... I don't have a specific plan to say the least.... Just new things... as I mentioned I will be staying here until I have seen everything this place has to offer me then I will be moving along" he said now before chuckling a bit at her statement about the cold "I can get more suitable gear if I do want to go out that far... but for right now I am satisfied remaining here" he said now before looking towards the waitress as she spoke.... he hadn't even thought of an order or had any sort of menu ... how rude......however he ignored it and turned towards Sam  

"I think I will let you order for me... being new to this place and all I don't want to get something I would end up disliking" he said chuckling a bit now "But I want a water atleast."

Clawhammer became aware of the crumpled wad of money in her pocket, the loose change jingling around. She knew it wasn't much, even with the cheap prices of this greasy spoon, but it made her self-conscious. But, she wanted to talk to this stranger further, after all it is rare the someone knew shows up in town. She glanced at the pies, sitting in glass dishes atop the service counter, tempted - even if she couldn't justify the moderate expense.

"Two coffees, black, and fuck it, two slices of pecan pie." She ordered, the waitress shooting daggers with her eyes at the casual use of profanity in this house of waffles, and God.

She now came to the awkward realization that she didn't even know her new friend's name. It was time to remedy that. "Name's Sam" she offered "What do they call you?"

Dohalim would watch her glance to the pies raising an eyebrow before chuckling a bit at her order "You make it seem like the pie has a chance to be a bad decision" he said now as he got comfortable "I am happy to pay... I do have money" he said now as he looked at her.... She was helping him so he was happy to pay for the food. When she asked him the next question he would think a moment but decided to be honest.  

"My name is Dohalim...shorten it or do whatever you like with the name I don't frankly care... used to it" he said chuckling a bit now

He would then hum a bit now "You said you were a local here...I am originally from Egypt... but I have had the pleasure of visiting Germany ...Japan and some other countries" he said now as he looked at her.

• Like 1

Clawhammer would never admit it, but she was mildly starstruck by meeting someone so well traveled. All she knew about Egypt she had learned from late night mummy movies, and the farthest she had traveled was the trip here from Portland, which was mostly untamed Canadian wilderness. Sam tries his name, seeing how it sounds in her mouth, and managing to not butcher it too terribly "DO-ha-lim".

The waitress returned, with two cracked porcelain mugs, filled with the thick black ichor that passed for coffee in these parts, along with two slices of pecan pie, freshly baked that morning. Clawhammer slowly liberated a gooey piece from the pie, and puts into her mouth, taking her time to savior, and in an attempt to hide her awe at this mysterious stranger.

"You must of had the pleasure of meeting lots of interesting people too, with all that travel."

Edited by DoctoroMindbender

Jewel had been allowed to attend the meeting so instead she chose to make a trip to the harbor for some fresh sea air and to explore a bit as she had never really been to the harbor. Jewel was used to being stared at as she explored town or the port but she didn't mind as she walked with only a warm sweater on despite not needing it. She was wearing the sweater so people around her didn't know she was different from them as she stepped into the Cafe to find some local baked pies or sweets.

Dohalim would watch her play with the name raising an eyebrow "As I said you could shorten it" he said now a bit amused at the slow pronunciation and he would nod his head "You got it right" he said now a bit more curious about her and he would soon smile a bit seeing the waitress come back with the pie and the coffee. "Thank you" he said nodding at the waitress 

He would watch her lift a piece of pie to her mouth.... He instead took a sip of his coffee although it was a cautious sip as this restaurant didn't quite have his trust. He would swallow the sip after savoring the flavor a bit before setting the mug down going for his own slice of pie... he was honestly unaware of her Awe in him.

Although he saw someone walking in and happened to look over... it was a bad habit he had, Whenever he heard a door open or shut he just had to look at what was coming in and out. Seeing it was another person he would relax a bit more now....he wasn't really close enough to tell if she was a vampire or not...No he needed much more validation before he decided someone was a vampire. He looked back over to Sam "Yeah I have met loads of people... some not the best... but you kind of get that everywhere" he said now as he ate relaxing a bit more now 

(Your welcome to free up Sam at this point if you would like ^^)

A shiver ran up Sam's spine. Not the chill of the wind, but something different, some instinct from her animal brain that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. From over Dohalim's shoulder she spotted the new customer entering the diner. She brings the cracked mug to her mouth, to cover the fact that she was sniffing the air. Many smells were familiar: The frying of eggs and sausage, burnt coffee and the stale artificial maple flavor which permeates the diner. Some where not. She could smell garlic, weak but close and distinctive. Dohalim maybe? Perhaps he just liked Italian food, but that was a thought for another day. She also smelt something else, the musk of a predator, but it was a cold dead smell not like that of any living animal that walked the Earth. There was only one thing it could be. Fuck. Vampire.

It wasn't Dohalim, she would of picked it up earlier. The only other people in the diner were the staff, who Clawhammer were familiar with. That only left the woman who just walked in. Clawhammer had to make her next move carefully. Clawhammer was not one for delicate social graces, so her best move was to just leave. However, she didn't want to leave Dohalim hanging. Not also was it rude, but it might raise suspicion. It took a careful dance, to keep the existence of werewolves and vampires a secret and there was nothing careful about Sam's preferred methods. She was nervously playing with her fork, staring at the half eaten pie on the table. "Hey," She said cautiously "You need a ride into town?" seeing if she can avail herself of a quick exit.

Jewel looked at Sam and simply winked knowing what she was then went to the counter and got some cookies before leaving and going to the docks to sit down and eat. She wasn't going to make a scene or intrude if someone else was momentarily claiming the diner as a safe spot, no she had come for the salty air and the water view so that was what she was going to enjoy.

Dohalim would watch with feigned interest as Sam suddenly appeared to have gotten nervous.... she knew something he didn't.... and this nervous behavior did not start until Jewel had entered the building and when she spoke about a ride into town he shook his head now "No thank you.... you are welcome to leave me if you would like.... we can always catch up some other time... just for the time being I would like to familiarize myself with the area... I got warmer clothes on I should be fine...My plan is to familiarize myself with the harbor then the others locales...the forests to the caves." he said smiling at Sam soon getting money out to pay for the drink and food. He would finish his slice of pie before drinking his coffee. "I do thank you for your assistance though" he said now nodding his head... the sudden nervous actions led him to believe he had been talking to a wolf and she had smelled a vampire.... probably tried to hide the fact .... He was good at reading actions and such.... He thought about how she could have smelled a vampire and hid the fact soon thinking to when she lifted the mug....'probably then...I will need to look into that other girl' he thought to himself  

"Thanks" she answered back "I have an appointment on the other side of town." Clawhammer dropped a handful of crumpled bills, and loose change on the table - enough to cover her food, as well as an adequate tip for the waitstaff. She leaned over, saying in a low tone to avoid being overheard, "Watch out for that one. She's a man eater."

With that Clawhammer pulled her coat around her, and headed out the door into the cold.

[OOC: Have fun you two]

Jewel was sitting on the dock eating her food as she watched the ships coming and going as she wished Alex had been able to stay. She wondered what Toshiro would think upon learning him. Would she be punished for releasing a thrall so suddenly after claiming to go home to family emergency? Jewel sighed as she stared at the water. 

Edited by Rena-Amane

Soon enough after eating his meal he would pay and step out of the restaurant beginning to wander around soon finding the girl but he didn't approach her instead he began talking with one of the fisherman but keeping a loose eye on her, however soon enough he would stretch a bit beginning to walk her direction.... he heeded that warning well about Jewel but he did not care...she was now a target he would need to take care of. He would take a seat near her looking over the water but he didn't get close to her not yet... He did not want to draw suspicion to himself.

Jewel didn't have to look to know who was beside her as she had caught his scent "Did the little pup tell you I'm evil?" She had memorized the slight garlic smell all hunters had as her homeland had them everywhere. This one however smelled of sand as well but she couldn't quite place it as she finished her last bite of food.

Dohalim raised an eyebrow as she spoke before shrugging a bit now "She was just telling me a good place to get some rest once I am done exploring the area" he said now lying a bit. Although her referring to Sam as a pup confirmed his suspicion and sealed it in. He would just relax a bit now "Just arrived is all" he said stretching a bit now as he looked at the boat he arrived on.

Jewel slowly stood but leaned close whispering "hunters all have smell of garlic, your lie about a place to rest is better than most I've heard" she pulled away "enjoy your stay" she returned the dishes to the diner and then stared at dohalim before looking at a group of men outside a bottle shop "hmm I think I need a drink" she started walking towards the men almost toying with the new hunter. She would pretend to target people before grabbing something obvious then eventually lead him away from town and get him alone to deal with him

Dohalim would raise an eyebrow as she spoke to him as if she knew what he was but he didn't respond watching as she eyed men and when she grabbed an actual drink he moved to follow her although he had no plans to kill her just yet.... no to do so when she already knew he was a hunter would be foolish... he had to get her to trust him.