Open Apocalypse

I would like to start an open role play based on a post-apocalyptic scenario that is unspecified, where characters build their own stories and the back story to the world as they write.

No rules, no formal posting format, just players writing a story that develops through their (perhaps eventual..) interaction.

I would start it with a post that hints at the post apocalyptic world and at my own character but leaves it as open as possible for others to insert themselves wherever and however they see fit.

The post apocalyptic world I envision is gritty, hard, with very few survivors who might eventually meet and work or at least journey together. Bad actors might also join but I see the players creating those as third parties (non-player characters) to the story, mostly.

I see this as a club, where players may create areas or join in to the single one I will create where my character is: giving the opportunity for players to build characters and their story independently before meeting, if they wish.

I played in a similar role play a few years ago - one of my first - and it was wide open, enticing, involving and fascinating.

To be clear, I do see this as wide open, including with sex, but the aim is to build a world together not to indulge in a quick fling.

I am open to discuss the idea and adapt it, but do not want to over-think and spend ages on every tiny detail: it should be a few characters who like the idea and feel comfortable creating their character and the world through the narrative.

• Like 2

I'm a huge fan of the Post Apocalyptic genre - sine I saw Mad Max in the cinema (yeah, I'm that old) - is there a particular "vibe" we're going for? Zardoz is a very different thing from Mad Max which is different from A Boy and His Dog which is different from Reign of Fire and on and on it goes.

I'm headed over to the IC thread now to check it out, because I'm in for any of the variations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WritesNaughtyStories said:

Shall I keep Watermaker as an antagonist and write in a more conventional ally?

Watermaker is horrific: scary, terrifying. I love him. 🙂

I am up for more allies, and more antagonists, and some who are both.

I adore how you both play this, by the way.

I feel bad. I tried to have a clear separation between Watermaker and The Chosen you have dangling above the zombie horde but I think I tripped @DoctoroMindbender up. Only the last two paragraphs are about your captive. All the rest of that was supposed to be back at their (his?) settlement.

He only seems creepy. I assure you, he's a lovely fellow who serves cheese logs and finger sandwiches.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gangsta Moll said:

Loving @Dirtydan crazed oasis madman: this is going to get messy 🙂

Thank you! I'd been looking for a good spot to try and jump in with something after @Gangsta Moll and @WritesNaughtyStories commented on my other post. Then I saw that npc dialog and figured that would be a perfect place to throw in a character of my own! 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up