Worlds Apart & A Breath Away (VikingWitch & Ryaskar)

...“Wait.”

The screen buzzed with static for a few seconds before it showed a view of a small dirt path and a pair of hiking boots.  “I think it’s on,” a voice said and the screen shook with the movement of bringing it up only to look at a forest of trees.  “Ugh, let me see, I think it’s on.”

A young woman turned the camera to face her and she smiled at the lens.  The young woman looked a bit ruffled with her golden blonde hair pulled back in a messy ponytail and one side of her face still looked like it had bed marks on it.  Her skin was pale and had freckles splashed across her cheeks and her eyes were a shining blue as they smiled at the camera.  “Ok, I see the light now,” she said.  “Hello everyone!  We’re officially on the trail!”

Her clothes were a bit wrinkled as well, a t-shirt and jeans is all she wore, but it was probably more than necessary on that bright and hot day.  She still looked cheerful as the camera shook with her long strides along the forest trail.  “We’re on route to our campsite and then once we get that setup, we’ll be on our way to our real destination and that being…” she starts as she brings the camera closer to her face for dramatic effect.  “Parts unknown.”

She turned the camera away from her and at the back of a young man who carried a large pack and a canvas tube that held their tent.  “We’re currently walking along a deer trail in Falsewood Forest,” the young woman continued in her monologue.  “And the reason why they call it Falsewood Forest is because of a certain tree that’s supposed to grow in the middle of these woods and the tree never dies.”

They both have heard the legend that drew people of all sorts from every corner of the world, but she needed to recite it again for posterity.  “And I don’t mean it’s just always been healthy for as long as it’s been there, I mean even in the winter this tree is still green and still flowering, I think people say it’s a Hawthorn tree and those trees are usually associated with magic and the Fair Folk,” she explained.

Her companion at the front snorted at her use of the name.  Ava-Rose Corey was a woman of many talents and beliefs, belief in faeries was one that she held onto since she was a kid.  One had to adhere to rules, such as: Never step in a fairy ring, always ask permission before taking something from nature, and never insult the Good People.  They don’t even like the name that humans gave them, Faery or even Little People.  They prefer different names, like The Fair Folk, the Good Neighbors, the Gentry, and all such flattering titles.  Even if they didn’t exist, she found it better safe than sorry.  “We’re coming up on our campsite now, so we’ll set up and we’ll start out again,” she said and pushed the record button again for it to stop.

The red light blinked off and she sighed as she put it away in her case as they did march up to a clearing with a firepit.  This part of the forest only had a few campsites around and they were also far between, it was a perfect spot to do their odd little hobby that they’ve developed over the years.  She set her pack down and began to take out a few things that they would need before she went to help with the tent.

• 2 weeks later...

Her male companion was working on setting up their tent, it wasn't that big, but it did take time to set up, especially when one had to do so on their own because their companion were pulling out other things from their backpack. Still, just a few minutes later she did come to help, so it wasn't as bad.

The males name was Arthur Malstrim, he is a quite simple person, as he does not believe in anything he does not see or experience on his own. Still, he did follow Ava's beliefs in regards of the faeries. Only to not get an earful from her.

Otherwise he is a very polite and kind person, firstly seeing the good in people instead of making strangers out to be bad people. The man was glad to meet new people, and exchange experiences to learn more new and exciting things about the world around them.

Even if he was sometimes annoyed with his companion, he never once had any negative thoughts about her and she was the only person to ever accompany him for such adventures. More accurately, she was the one that talked him into it, since then, there was no going back.

After the tent was finally set up. Arthur looked at Ava, expecting to hear from her what she has planned to do next. "So... what is your plan? I was thinking about going to get some firewood for a small campfire for food and warmth." His thought about getting the firewood might get shot down by her as he would take something from the forest, even if he asked, it wasn't sure he would be allowed to get some stocks and tinder.

• Love 1