Food Wars :D

Hi all, 

has anyone seen Food Wars? I absolutely love it :D

Despite being a perverted nymphomaniac, I have always found ecchi in most anime kinda creepy, you know, because females are depicted as objects blah blah blah. But if I'm not mistaken, ecchi is supposed to be used as a comic device that adds character and that unmistakable Japanese "charm". Yet I find that in a lot of animes its there simply as a titillating tease. Like the "Skin Suits" in Knights of Sidonia, was it really necessary to show a room full of girls being sodomized by their clothes? It was funny, but in a creepy "the fuck is happening" kinda way (I do love that show too though).

Food Wars, on the other hand, has sexy anime girls (and boys) eating tasty treats and exploding into a taste-bud orgasm where their clothes fly off and they're left quivering on the floor, something that may or may not have happened to me in real life. Its absolutely hilarious to watch and the relatable-ness is something I think that kinda justifies the sexiness, allowing me to perv away and not feel guilty or sympathetic towards the female characters (who doesn't want to eat food so good it makes you cum!)

So if you haven't seen it, go watch it. If you have, what did you think?

Despite being a perverted nymphomaniac, I have always found ecchi in most anime kinda creepy, you know, because females are depicted as objects blah blah blah.

Have you ever thought that perhaps you're suffering from an ideology that conflicts with being a "Perverted Nymphomaniac?" Also [Citation Needed], what women are treated as objects? How frequently is this? Can you provide examples please, to back up this venomous assertion? Because I just can't see how a "a gust of wind lifted her skirt", "a water fountain malfunctioned and sprayed her shirt" or "whoops I (literally) accidentally walked in on a girl getting changed" is in fact, objectifying anyone.

If you're going to assert "but she's scantly clad" then I'll point you into the direction of Yaoi, Shota and other genres that do the exact same thing about males. I'm just going to go Cock-in-Hand here and use the example of an anime called "Free!!" that I particularly like. It has sexy guys in it and swimming, two things I love in life!

But if I'm not mistaken, ecchi is supposed to be used as a comic device that adds character and that unmistakable Japanese "charm". Yet I find that in a lot of animes its there simply as a titillating tease. Like the "Skin Suits" in Knights of Sidonia, was it really necessary to show a room full of girls being sodomized by their clothes? It was funny, but in a creepy "the fuck is happening" kinda way (I do love that show too though).

You are mistaken. While commonly found in comedic anime and manga, and often revealed in a comedic manner, Ecchi in and of itself is not a comedic device. It is fanservice. Ecchi means:

(Japanese Slang Term) - Playfully sexual actions. Used as Adjective; Verb or Noun. It's softer than "Ero" as it doesn't imply perversion in the way Hentai does.

As an adjective: It's used with the meaning of Sexy, Naughty, Dirty, etc.
As a verb: It's actually Ecchi Suru which basically means "To have sex"
As a noun: It's describes someone or something lecherous. >Ecchi< Dreams.

Citation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecchi

Food Wars, on the other hand, has sexy anime

girls (and boys)

eating tasty treats and

exploding into a taste-bud orgasm where their clothes fly off and they're left quivering on the floor

, something that may or may not have happened to me in real life. Its absolutely hilarious to watch and the relatable-ness is something I think that kinda justifies the sexiness, allowing me to perv away and

not feel guilty or sympathetic towards the female characters

(who doesn't want to eat food so good it makes you cum!)

Are you serious? If you are, you're wrong and clearly a little bit stupid (my opinion). If not then you're not funny and I am calling you out on it. You basically said in what? The first major sentence(?), that women are treated like objects, now you're asserting that "Girls (and Boys)" are treated this way; which to me shows equality, but instead your issue is because female is having it done to her which is only okay with you because reasons?

I don't think this topic was made to discuss this anime. Quite clearly there's a feminist agenda behind it. If you genuinely enjoy it you shouldn't feel bad for that, it's fiction, as in it's not real, as in no one is really being objectified anyway. Something that some people can't seem to tell the difference between nowadays. You shouldn't feel bad for enjoying something fictional, as in you're not a bad person for enjoying something. Fictional media is not reality. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find food that did that in real life, short of loading it with explosives, and that would do a little more damage than to just the clothes. Do you know what is really creepy? People who project themselves onto a cartoon and say it's evil, racist, MUHSOGGYKNEES or sexist, because reasons.

That said; I will look into this Anime, and it's now on my to watch list. The concept of eating food = clothes exploding is one that I want to see for myself. I wanted to thank you for the suggestion, but there was a bunch of shit that I wanted to get off my chest, in relation to how to painted it out. So, cheers for the recommendation =D 

Haha interesting stuff 

So, yes perhaps being a perverted nymphomaniac would run counter to my ideology but I really don't take myself that seriously. I intended those first few sentences to come across as sarcastic, and I hoped it would set the tone of the rest of the post as "not to be taken that seriously". If I'm honest, its the very fact that anime containing ecchi themes make me uncomfortable is why I like them so much, which I guess is kinda contradictory in itself. I don't actually care whether or not anything objectifies women or men, as its down to the individual whether or they're going to take it heart or whatever. 

I stand corrected about the meaning and use of the word ecchi, thank you for clearing that up.

As for that last quote, it does sound pretty shitty now that I have read it back to myself. The point that I was trying to get across was that I like the fact that the sexiness was given context, I just went a bit goobledigoop while trying to explain myself.

Overall, it was a pretty stupid thing to say and I apologize if it caused you or anyone else offence. I should have known better then to mention objectification, sexism or anything feminism-ish or what might be taken to be feminism-ish. Sometimes I just get carried away with my thoughts and end up spouting some serious bull-shit. I'm not a feminist and don't care much for some of the shit going round the internet these days. I agree that fictional media in all its forms should be taken as entertainment for entertainments sake.

I have to admit though, the whole "food so good it makes your clothes fly off" isn't quite so far-fetched. I have honestly been on a dinner date where a guy cooked for me. The food was absolutely delicious and it wasn't long before they were laying in a crumpled pile on the floor. I admit that they didn't explode off my body like they do in the anime, but it wasn't as far off as you might think. 

So after reading this back it will probably sound like an incoherent mess of conflicting ideas and half-arsed statements. I'll probably only make it worse if I try to change it but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. 

If you'd like to continue discussing this particularly touchy subject I would love to hear you opinions on everyone's favorite "erotic" novel; 50 Shades Of Grey . Or perhaps you might like to indulge in some more of the mindless tripe that dibbles out of my brain cavity as I attempt to express my uninformed thoughts on the book. Could be good for a laugh at least.

ah crap... I'm sorry.

I've been shouted at by people who say shit like that over the internet for so long now... I need to curl up and retire from life. I took it out of context and I feel shitty about calling you out on it now. on a lighter note I so put it on my to watch list, seriously. it sounds awesome.

Haha don't feel bad. There is nothing wrong with voicing your thoughts, that's what freedom of speech is about right? It only becomes a problem when people are unwilling to listen to other peoples opinions. The world would be a better place if everyone was able to admit they were wrong and learn from the experiences of others.

It is pretty awesome; a lighthearted, fun little show that somehow inspired me to think far too deep into it for my own good. Japanese animation at its finest. 

Let me know what you think once you've watched it. 

• 2 years later...

Food wars is love. Food wars is life. 

It's one of my favorite series, although I only read the manga.

It's so well-drawn... the girls look great, the food looks great, did I mention the girls look great?

And it's very funny, too.

Apparently the artist, Saeki Shun, used to draw hentai doujins. I guess that explains a lot, huh?

alice_nakiri_render_by_ellinenikki-dacfn

Just look at that! Darn hot, is what that is.

*wipes drool from chin*

I'd love to do a Shokugeki no Souma roleplay sometime. 

• Senior Staff
11 minutes ago, Cool Manington said:

I'd love to do a Shokugeki no Souma roleplay sometime.

The mere concept of this amuses me to no end. xD
It sounds like either a very intriguing idea, or a recipe for disaster. xDD

Also, I had no idea about the hentai doujins thing... *adds to list of things to look up at some point in the future...*

But yes. Damn hot.

2 minutes ago, SMFoxy said:

The mere concept of this amuses me to no end. xD
It sounds like either a very intriguing idea, or a recipe for disaster. xDD

Also, I had no idea about the hentai doujins thing... *adds to list of things to look up at some point in the future...*

Or a roleplay involving the girls of Shokugeki no Souma, anyway...!

Because damn... just damn.

Archived