Pokèmon ROM Hacks Discussion?

I'm pretty sure some of us know about these kinds of games, heard of them, or even played them a couple of times, myself included.

For those don't know what Pokèmon ROM hacks are, they're different versions of Pokèmon games, like Pokèmon Blue or Pokèmon Ruby or Pokèmon X, with different graphics, characters, designs, layouts, storylines, or even different Pokèmon from different generations as well as....Fakemon.

Some ROM hacks are complex while others cater to the traditional "8 Gyms, Elite Four, Champion" storyline; others, though interesting, are, sadly incomplete, as a hack, depending on the game and how much you wish to fix, can take quite a while to finish. Much to the fans' lament. 

Now that the explanation is out of the way, anyone wanna join me in chatting about ROM hacks?

• Community Administrator

I used to play around with a Pokemon editor for Red/Blue and Silver/Gold back when I was a lot younger and immature. I was the ass-hole that made Pokemon Red - The Sex Adventure and Pokemon Golden Dildo for a now long lost chat community that was around during 2001-2006. These were basically pretty much text edits of the game and I remember being limited to writing the same amount of characters as what was there originally otherwise it didn't work. There was also basic map editing and stuff and you could move "Warp Tiles" (I think they're called) which is basically a call to transport to another map that's used when walking through doors. 

I have played a few but there's usually one problem or another with fan made hacks (Or as I like to call them, Mods). They're buggier than Assassin's Creed - Unity. xD

It has been a very long time since I delved into this world. Have you ever had a go at editing ROMs?

• Community Administrator

I'm sorry but the reference went over my head. I'm guessing it's either something do with Doom's Shotgun or one of Jessie and James's "Trigger" words. Like "Trouble" and "Double". I don't think you need to have that much coding experience to actually do it though; not anymore at least.

It's this easy:-

image2.thumb.png.f5489da08cb2ad8e1efc482

I'm sorry but the reference went over my head. I'm guessing it's either something do with Doom's Shotgun or one of Jessie and James's "Trigger" words. Like "Trouble" and "Double". I don't think you need to have that much coding experience to actually do it though; not anymore at least.

It's this easy:-

image2.thumb.png.f5489da08cb2ad8e1efc482

I'm actually referencing an extremely long webcomic called Homestuck. Oh my, that looks a bit daunting to me! But, sadly, my laptop is out, and it isn't a laptop built for that sort of thing.

yeah, I am definitely interested in discussing ROM hacks with you guys and I have played a lot of hacks so far, some of them nearly professional in appearance. Have you heard of Pokémon Quartz and Light Platinum? On another note, if you want adult themed Pokémon games, try Pokémon Uncensored Edition at GameJolt. There is also one with pokemorphs and lot of ecchi/hentai in it, I forget the name though as it has been quite a while since I last saw it on the net.

yeah, I am definitely interested in discussing ROM hacks with you guys and I have played a lot of hacks so far, some of them nearly professional in appearance. Have you heard of Pokémon Quartz and Light Platinum? On another note, if you want adult themed Pokémon games, try Pokémon Uncensored Edition at GameJolt. There is also one with pokemorphs and lot of ecchi/hentai in it, I forget the name though as it has been quite a while since I last saw it on the net.

Do. Not. Bring. Up. Light. Platinum. I got stuck so many times at the Ice type gym that I gave up...

From what I've read about Light Platinum, the method to even get the Leader to go to the Gym in the first place is a pain in the ass.
Maybe that's what was meant, or some kind of puzzle/gimmick in the Gym, as opposed to the Pokémon type of the Gym?

That and his Glaceon kept using Iceberg and his Mammoswine/Piloswine....Earthquake....damn it....

• 2 weeks later...

whilst I wouldn't report them if you did, I'd be careful under Section 18 of the terms of service:

Illegal Content
Posts that violate or incite others to break the law are not allowed, and may be reported to the authorities. This includes but is not limited to; obscene child abuse pictures (See Zero Tolerance), warez and serial key discussions, and torrents to copyrighted material.

I have this ToS thing memorised!

Geeze aren't we sharp Whoreo, I wonder what your favourite is, just name is enough? Mind is pokemon storm silver.

Hmm, I like Flora Sky, Crystal Dust, Liquid Crystal, Ruby: Red Rescue Team, Ruby: Reign of Legends, Yet Another Fire Red Hack, and DarkViolet(if only it was complete...)

I like watching YouTubers like Shofu, TheHeatedMo, and YellowSwellow play rom hacks, and I've seen a few, like Blue Kaizo, PokéSweets, Pokémon Snakewood, and Pokémon: My Ass. Vietnamese Crystal is pretty funny, too, but it doesn't count, because it's just a horribly translated Pokémon Crystal. "Drug bag fuck." XD

Geeze aren't we sharp Whoreo, I wonder what your favourite is, just name is enough? Mind is pokemon storm silver.

creeppasta's by far - Top Percentage (http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Top_Percentage) http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Category:PokéMon - for the rest of them ;)

as for roms......I don't know I haven't played any, I was hoping someone could point me out to one, lost silver was pretty much boring and a snooze fest. the reason I don't count this as a rom is because it isn't, the one i played wasnt anyway. I just like the unexpected turns to something you know should happen - like you play the game normally and it 'gets' you in an unexpected way, ya know?

• Senior Staff

Not really creepy, strictly speaking. Or that relevant.
But since Whoreo brings it up, I like this one:
 http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Mutant_Future

Back on topic, perhaps not strictly a ROM Hack, but I like the Pokémon Randomiser (can't remember the exact name).
Basically it randomises some (or all) Pokémon in the game, so you can end up with Legendaries as starters, or the Elite Four with Caterpies and Rattatas and Magikarp and so on. You know. For lulz. xD

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of the best ROM hacks I've ever played is Pokémon Liquid Crystal, basically another Crystal remake based on the third generation games, but with some added features. For one, there's the day/night cycle based on real world time, and that's way cool for a third gen ROM hack; the Orange Islands, a really 4th-gen like graphical style (battles have different backgrounds depending on where you are for example), you can dive like in Ruby and Sapphire, there's the physical/special split like in 4th gen onwards, the weather system is actually based on the japanese weather pattern (fitting considering IMHO Jotho is the region that best represents Japan, with a mix of modern cities, old towns, ports and small islands), plus small things like a GB Player like the real remakes.

Archived