Hello, everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this, since "Gadgets And Geeks" seemed promising. Due to subject matter, I chose here. I'm not exactly in need of tech support, but I would like an answer. I have a white 500GB PS3 "Super Slim." I've only had it since Christmas. I am fully aware, having lost 2 PS3s in the past, that they eventually suffer an unavoidable death. I don't do anything fancy with it. No movie streaming, no hacking it, I haven't changed the Hard Drive,... nothing like that. I play games, and, occasionally, check out the PlayStation Store for sales. My question is this. How long is it safe to leave it running in a single gaming session? If it matters, I mostly play Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition, as I am trying to get the Platinum Trophy.

• Senior Staff

Don't own a PlayStation 3 or 4 personally.
But I certainly wouldn't leave it on 24/7 at least.
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad in sleep mode, I don't know.

Most of the advice says to take a ten minute break for every hour of using a console or computer, so it might be a good time to turn it off when you take a break.
Assuming you, like most others, ignore this advice, I probably wouldn't leave it running more than six hours per session?
I'd probably also recommend leaving it off for 30-60 minutes each time, if you're doing a session that long.

It heavily depends on what sort of power your PS3 is drawing in too.
If the console feels excessively hot, finish what you're doing and take a break/switch it off for a while until it cools off a little.

Obviously people who own a PS3 might be able to give better/more accurate advice.
But hopefully that serves you well enough until you can get some real advice. lol

Archived